Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm currently hourly. Boss wants me to convert to salary with about an 8% raise. Totally not worth it, right? I don't get any overtime right now so it would definitely be a pay raise but part of being hourly is that I never have to work nights or weekends, and as salary I occasionally would (maybe 3 evenings per month and one Saturday / month).

Right now I work alternating weeks of 4 x 10 hour shifts on week 1, and 5 eights week 2, two of those days are wfh.

Salary would probably give me 1-2 extra wfh days every two weeks. All other benefits are the same.

The flip side is that there is only one higher hourly position, which I would probably qualify for at the end of the year, it should be a 15% pay bump. But the salary position has more headroom, ultimately capping out at 30% more than I make right now.

I guess writing it out, going salary seems like the practical choice. But I sure do like always leaving work at work and every evening and weekend is my own.

You should probably just get a new job and enjoy a raise that’s significantly more than 8%.

Also RIP sickening. Do you have enough pull with the CEO to sink the hire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

You should probably just get a new job and enjoy a raise that’s significantly more than 8%.

Also RIP sickening. Do you have enough pull with the CEO to sink the hire?

No. A CISO must be hired as its a C level job and the C level jobs are the good ol boys club of the world. Considering this interview was put on the CEO's calendar before he met with me and the team, our feedback wasn't even going to be considered. This is a fast track "friend" hire.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

The flip side is that there is only one higher hourly position, which I would probably qualify for at the end of the year, it should be a 15% pay bump. But the salary position has more headroom, ultimately capping out at 30% more than I make right now.

Ask for the hourly position now and consider the salary at year end instead.

ALso consider the current schedule a benefit/perk - and that it be part of the promotion, (that is, to stay the same, but in writing.)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If M365 developers could respect Display Name more consistently that would be fantastic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sickening posted:

He could not give coherent answers to these very basic questions. He could speak enough to probably fool my 6 year old into believing he had any clue what he was talking about, but his answers did not match up with what you would expect for a person with 18 years of CISO experience. These weren't even technical questions!

This lines up with every CISO I've ever dealt with in a technical arena, so. :v:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Customer PM: Hey [My PM], can you ask GI_Clutch to ask [Another Customer PM] to request access for him to view X in [Customer] SharePoint?

Why not just loving ask your own co-worker instead of playing a game of telephone?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kyrosiris posted:

This lines up with every CISO I've ever dealt with in a technical arena, so. :v:

Fun development. Turns out this "CISO" had two linkedin profiles. The one which he decided to do first initial, last name had a a much different employment history than what the one that presented to us had. A lot of the titles were downgraded from what was presented. A long history of CISO turned into "infomation security manager". The start and end dates of jobs were all messed up and different.

I had the talent coordinator ask him for his CISSP id, and he told her he didn't have it. He also didn't seem to have any of his AWS certification ID's so we could verify them either. Supposedly the head of talent called him and point blank asked him if the employment verification for his previous jobs was going to match the resume and he didn't get the answers he was satisfied with.

I was then informed that we were no longer pursuing this candidate. Small victories.

*Bonus room*

He also gave the saddest 2013 defcon presentation I have ever loving seen. It was non-technical (surprise) and most of the time mostly qanon level of nonsense. Not going to link it, because I don't want to dox him, but just believe me when I say that it was loving bad.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Our CIO is in full self-preservation mode after some very high profile problems and is now shoveling his teams in front of as many busses as possible. Years of poor direction and lack of accountability for poor performance are finally bearing fruit. I like my direct manager, but he's now an angry, burned out husk of a man who spends a couple hours a day calling me and relating all the terrible stuff that happened that day.

It's turning me into a burned out mess too, and I don't need that again. Sounds like it's time to get the ol' resume back in shape.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GI_Clutch posted:

Customer PM: Hey [My PM], can you ask GI_Clutch to ask [Another Customer PM] to request access for him to view X in [Customer] SharePoint?

Why not just loving ask your own co-worker instead of playing a game of telephone?

i've been told off for having higher ups from other orgs talk to me directly instead of going through PMs or manager to manager

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

you ate my cat posted:

Our CIO is in full self-preservation mode after some very high profile problems and is now shoveling his teams in front of as many busses as possible. Years of poor direction and lack of accountability for poor performance are finally bearing fruit. I like my direct manager, but he's now an angry, burned out husk of a man who spends a couple hours a day calling me and relating all the terrible stuff that happened that day.

It's turning me into a burned out mess too, and I don't need that again. Sounds like it's time to get the ol' resume back in shape.

Man, complaining down is really bad form. Sorry you're going through that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you ate my cat posted:

I can appreciate your direct manager is being treated like poo poo but it's not OK to just rant at you for two hours a day, that poo poo's unhealthy. You need to bail asap.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sickening posted:

Fun development. Turns out this "CISO" had two linkedin profiles. The one which he decided to do first initial, last name had a a much different employment history than what the one that presented to us had. A lot of the titles were downgraded from what was presented. A long history of CISO turned into "infomation security manager". The start and end dates of jobs were all messed up and different.

I had the talent coordinator ask him for his CISSP id, and he told her he didn't have it. He also didn't seem to have any of his AWS certification ID's so we could verify them either. Supposedly the head of talent called him and point blank asked him if the employment verification for his previous jobs was going to match the resume and he didn't get the answers he was satisfied with.

I was then informed that we were no longer pursuing this candidate. Small victories.

*Bonus room*

He also gave the saddest 2013 defcon presentation I have ever loving seen. It was non-technical (surprise) and most of the time mostly qanon level of nonsense. Not going to link it, because I don't want to dox him, but just believe me when I say that it was loving bad.

Beautiful. Love that his application was binned, especially thanks to your efforts.

However, the CIO is now going to be annoyed you waylaid his friend from grifting at your workplace, which will likely result in repercussions for you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can't cut back on nepotism! You will regret this!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You would think whoever vouched for the shitbird materially misrepresenting himself and trying to defraud the company would be getting the heat.

So yeah, polish that resume, I think I hear a bus.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I get the feeling that CISO “candidate” was an assumed automatic hire and was told to craft up a LinkedIn page to just keep up appearances while they went through the motions. They didn’t expect any resistance. Whoops.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

using stackdriver log explorer for data of moderate size is an exercise in agony.

trying to get audit logs for a mere week for a specific IAP endpoint, because it suddenly stopped letting people through out of the blue, because they weren't on the authorized user list. When I checked the IAP settings *nobody* was an authorized user, no entity other than terraform has permission to adjust those rules, and nothing changed in terraform. so obviously that's very concerning.

stackdriver times out if I try to analyze more than, say, three days at once. It's absolutely maddening. And worse, while we have a sink to cloud storage for old (30d+) logs, there's nothing configured for the current month. Logging sinks will only affect future logs, and since I can't load the dataset in stackdriver, I can't even export as JSON to analyze in bigquery.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Honestly what was the CISO going to do but draw a salary, play golf and go with the rest of the C-suite on boozy junkets?
They then just need to fight for the resources for your team and otherwise keep out of the way of the workers and let them do their jobs.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Ugh I feel like our CIO is somewhat the same way. He has experience but some of the stuff he says just leaves me wondering.

He’s engaging with a service provider to spin some web servers up in Azure ‘with scripts’ to run some apps but also seems confused that we run everything on an AD domain and we can’t just ‘copy’ a DC into a separate isolated environment for testing.

Like he’s so against just integrating with our existing domain and I can’t get him to give me a reason why. Our poo poo is so tightly integrated with our AD, doing anything else is going to require a ton of dev work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you deploy AAD DS and then create an outbound trust to your on-prem environment?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wibla posted:

My boss seems to have forgotten that I'm on 50% sick leave and also aren't supposed to be doing anything considered stressful if it can be avoided.

Thus I find myself being the principal SCADA engineer (at our company, not the entire thing, thank gently caress) for a huge railway project :cripes:
That includes the usual nag about when poo poo will be done, despite verbal assurances going in that that wouldn't be going on.

The yearly mandated and logged one-on-one is tomorrow :munch:

Post one-on-one update: getting more support, re-established boundaries about communication, postponing other projects to get my stress levels down, so overall pretty good outcome :toot:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you deploy AAD DS and then create an outbound trust to your on-prem environment?

THANTS you’re an amazing poster, a true pillar of tbis community and so I say this with all the genuine respect you deserve: excuse me what the fu

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Not pissing me off: A random 1000€ bonus appeared on my payslip.

Slightly pissing me off: I don't know if that bonus was an accident and will be deducted next month, which seems very likely as the company is in full - No raises, no boni, be happy that you even have a job while we fire a lot of your colleagues - mode and nothing about that bonus was or is communicated in any way.

Pissing me off: One of my coworkers was laid off at the beginning of the year and I had to take over all his projects and I really don't care about the undocumented mess of worst practices and mostly just ignored advancing anything of that stuff. Now I am forced to update a piece of software, which includes updating all clients as well. Which would not be a problem - but he didn't care to document on which clients the software is installed and sabotaged any attempts to do automatization in that regard. My morale in this regard would be a bit higher if they would pay me his wage as well, but alas.

Also pissing me off: I am currently operating under a bus factor of 1. So I have no one who takes over my work if I call in sick or take a few days off, everything is just postponed until my return and needs to be done on day one. gently caress off dear management with operation minimizing the bus factor - you are doing it the wrong way around!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i am a moron posted:

THANTS you’re an amazing poster, a true pillar of tbis community and so I say this with all the genuine respect you deserve: excuse me what the fu

Make a new Azure AD domain if you want some separation from existing corporate resources, enable Azure AD Domain Services into the Vnet where these applications run, then create a trust relationship back to your on-prem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/tutorial-create-forest-trust

Now you can do AD-integrated applications running in Azure, authenticating to on-prem but without having to sync that domain if you don't want to, or have the Azure VMs end up in your corporate directory.

If the "what the gently caress" was "why on earth are you advocating using full fat AD in what is meant to be :yaycloud:" then I agree with you, but it sounds like that's how the company operates so welp.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Happy Litterbox posted:

Slightly pissing me off: I don't know if that bonus was an accident and will be deducted next month, which seems very likely as the company is in full - No raises, no boni, be happy that you even have a job while we fire a lot of your colleagues - mode and nothing about that bonus was or is communicated in any way.

Pissing me off: One of my coworkers was laid off at the beginning of the year and I had to take over all his projects and I really don't care about the undocumented mess of worst practices and mostly just ignored advancing anything of that stuff. Now I am forced to update a piece of software, which includes updating all clients as well. Which would not be a problem - but he didn't care to document on which clients the software is installed and sabotaged any attempts to do automatization in that regard. My morale in this regard would be a bit higher if they would pay me his wage as well, but alas.

Also pissing me off: I am currently operating under a bus factor of 1. So I have no one who takes over my work if I call in sick or take a few days off, everything is just postponed until my return and needs to be done on day one. gently caress off dear management with operation minimizing the bus factor - you are doing it the wrong way around!

You know what to do... :yotj:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stevewm posted:

Oh I've been there and done that...

I ended up converting the user back to an old "Pluggable" branded USB 3 dock from Amazon. It works 100%. Monitors wake up correctly, it never randomly dies or disconnects; it just works.

from a couple of pages ago but can you link the pluggable docks you're using? i too am beating my head against a surface dock trying to get dual external monitors to work consistently for the director's assistant. would love to just throw them in the loving garbage

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Litterbox posted:

When you get home from vacation, list out the things that "need" to get done to your boss, and tell them to pick one or two.

The rest not getting done is not only not your problem, but the only way anything will ever get done about the understaffing. Don't ask what they'd like you to do generally, either; specifically tell them you can do X, and treat that as the eminently reasonable assumption it is, that of course they can't possibly expect you to complete all that the day you get back. If it were important, they would have hired someone by now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Weedle posted:

from a couple of pages ago but can you link the pluggable docks you're using? i too am beating my head against a surface dock trying to get dual external monitors to work consistently for the director's assistant. would love to just throw them in the loving garbage

We have a few of this specific model: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ around the office.

They have a ton of different models for different port types and output situations: https://plugable.com/collections/docking-stations

So far in my experience, they just work. No problems with connected displays not waking back up with the laptop, etc... They have been a better experience than any manufacturer specific dock for sure.

They are using USB driven video (DisplayLink tech). So you are not going to be gaming on them or anything, but for office use they are perfectly fine. We have 2 users that regularly use the Adobe suite with them and don't have any performance problems.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

Make a new Azure AD domain if you want some separation from existing corporate resources, enable Azure AD Domain Services into the Vnet where these applications run, then create a trust relationship back to your on-prem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/tutorial-create-forest-trust

Now you can do AD-integrated applications running in Azure, authenticating to on-prem but without having to sync that domain if you don't want to, or have the Azure VMs end up in your corporate directory.

If the "what the gently caress" was "why on earth are you advocating using full fat AD in what is meant to be :yaycloud:" then I agree with you, but it sounds like that's how the company operates so welp.

1) I didn’t know you could do that because

2) I stopped thinking about ADDS years ago

I was mostly just trying to make a joke about ADDS because I hate it lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's bad and it's hilarious they haven't made it multi-region without putting your own VMs together

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I looked at ADDS last year specifically for the cloud ldap capability so I wouldn’t have to spin up another goddamn lds instance for a lovely app that only does LDAP import, but lmao at the cost for my use case. A b2s handles the lds instance just fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of Azure's big selling points over other clouds is that it has stuff that integrates with all the other MS things (Azure Files Sync etc.), so I have no idea why they don't have things like managed AD-integrated DNS, RADIUS as a service, managed root CA etc.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This is a short rant turned into a long story because it needs some background:

So I got hired at a new company in one of their branch offices a couple of months ago. After a few weeks of orientation and getting access to all of the systems I finally managed to get into the actual office and get a tour of the place from one of my colleagues. During the office tour I noticed there was a huge pile of old hardware sitting in a back room. The guy giving me the tour said their initial plan was to give the server room a full spring cleaning during the covid shut down since it would be an ideal time because everyone was out of the office and they could move poo poo around as they needed etc. That pile represented everything that was to go to the ewaste company, except for a huge box of all of the old HDD's stripped from the machines. Those were to be secure wiped on-site.

Seeing this as a quick and easy win to take care of something that nobody else had time to do, during a time when I didn't have very much else to do. I volunteered to securely wipe all of the drives in-house and then we could just chuck the drives in the pile to send out for ewaste. The other dude said sure, sounded like a good idea and I confirmed it with all of the higher ups and they all said it was fine, but make sure to put all of the wipe certificates in the corporate wiki for compliance purposes.

I couldn't find any existing IT policy about data sanitization anywhere in the wiki, so I made one according to NIST SP 800-88 Rev 1 standards, built a 6 bay "wipe station" out of one of the old servers in the recycle pile, and started blasting through the drives with an automated process that automatically places the wipe certs on the office file server, sends me status emails, and then I upload all of the certs to a wiki page I made outlining standards used, file name conventions, erase methods, and tables cross-referencing Secure Wipe Certificates with tickets or decommissioned machines. I also sent an email to the IT team mailing list saying "Hey guys, look at this thing I made you can find all of the wipe certs here."

Fast forward 1.5 months and I'm in a one-on-one with the IT Director:

It Director: Did you get rid of all of that old hardware? Can you put any drive sensitization certificates on this page in the wiki for compliance?
Me: Oh sure, I never saw that page initially so already made this page in the wiki for it.
IT Director: oh ok sure, just link them together then. I don't want us to have location based IT policies. We are a global IT team and we should be following global policies for this.
Me: Of course, it's not my intention to start ripping up existing processes to replace them with my own. I just didn't find this page when I first started looking. I'll move the contents from the other page to this page.

Me, later on after looking through the wiki page the IT Director gave me: Hey IT Director, following what you were saying about not wanting location based IT policies, is there a global secure erase policy in place for how we secure erase disks? Looking at the previous certs in the wiki page provided it looks like you guys (at head office) were sending the drives out to be secure wiped. How should I approach this going forward?
IT Director: We don't have a global policy yet. We should be using the same policy everywhere.
Me: Ok, well I've already made one that follows industry standards and meets all of your needs. Can we just make that official policy?
IT Director: I have asked this other dude to do some testing, he was having issues with the software though

:facepalm: I've already made a thing and it works and fulfills all of your requirements!!! Just use that!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

boss: can you do a spot check to get me some information about systems
me: sure
<time passes>
me: here you go
boss: ok now do it for all systems

Just tell me to audit all systems from the start! :argh:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
There needs to be a law against heavy furniture in front of network ports

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What does the word boot camp mean to you?

Because to me, it indicates a series of sessions with hands on “lab” work and homework, potentially with a syllabus intended to guide the attendee to a base level of knowledge on the subject

At my current job there are some people that think it means “run through a slide deck repeating the content word for word and not answering questions”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boot camp implies learning at a pace a bit more full-on than what you'd expect from a normal training course. All technical stuff should have labs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fastly :(

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

"NO GODDAMN IT I CANNOT REDDIT THIS IS URGENT FIX PLS" - My users, probably

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Their status page says they've at least identified what's poo poo the bed and are working on a fix.

Also I know from personal experience what that timeline actually means; It means they've spent that span of "investigating the issue" going "What the gently caress happened?" and poking at various devices in their network to hunt down the one that's actually causing the hundreds of alarms being raised on their systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

They said they “fixed it” but AWS is still have a ton of issues from what i can see