Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Decided my gravel bike wasn't RAD enough for where I live.

Sold the frame, built a new frame, transferred the parts over.

Introducing the 'peak gRADvel'. 2.1" tyres, 70.5 head angle, 435mm chainstays using a chainstay yoke.
Columbus Zona tubing, HT, BB, dropouts from Bear Frame Supplies.
MINI Hot Orange paint with Interlago blue text.

Did 5km of local singletrack before feeling like death from vaccination, but it rips pretty well. And yes, I've since fixed the fact that there's no handlebar end (whoops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rad indeed. nice bike

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

From SE Tennessee this weekend. 13500 ft of climbing on day one, 12000 on day two, then a gnarly end to my ride:

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a doozy of a mechanical on a bikepacking race this weekend. 240 miles in at 1 am I hit a big rock on a long gravel descent, bounced around pretty good, and ended up catching a branch in my wheel. It bent the valve stem about 60 degrees and caused an air leak. We tried to bend it back and the plan was to hopefully add sealant/super glue to hold the leak but the stem snapped. Upon unseating the bead, the inner rubber of the valve stem had popped off in the tire and the root of the stem was pulled down into the hole and was seemingly too big to fit back through or be pushed through the other side (tried using an allen wrench to push it through both ways). Had a 5 hour walk down the mountain that night and it didn't help that it was 40 degrees and I was sweating from the previous 9 mile climb when it happened, so I had to just keep walking to keep from getting hypothermic. Towards the end of trying to fix it I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get the thru axle back in . Currently waiting to hear back from the shop about their plan to extract it.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I can’t even comprehend climbing 25k in 2 days. You are a machine.

:aaa:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dang, that's a crazy situation, glad you made it back to your car safely

would a spare valve stem have fixed your problem or did the hole get damaged too?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

dang, that's a crazy situation, glad you made it back to your car safely

would a spare valve stem have fixed your problem or did the hole get damaged too?

Had one, but couldn't get the old one out to replace it or use a tube! We actually tried stuffing a tube in there and pumping the valve under the bead but it was clear that wasn't going to do anything.

Anza Borrego posted:

I can’t even comprehend climbing 25k in 2 days. You are a machine.

:aaa:

Let me introduce you to Brian Toone, the guy that set a FKT for the course at 36.5 hours (1000ft of climbing per hour with no sleep) after riding over 200 miles from home to the start, then riding back through GA to another ultra the same weekend for 1000 miles and almost 100k climbing in 5 days.

https://toonecycling.com/2021/05/20...uqkEt_evf8kSvRs

quote:

Here is the map of my 928 mile route with 85,000 feet of climbing!

He's insane.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

That's a short looking chainstay. Nice wheels

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's a short looking chainstay. Nice wheels

The chainstays are typical length. Look at the distance between the end of the crank and the tire.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

So insanely jealous. Living in NZ has its perks but also it's a lot harder to get sick bikes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

So insanely jealous. Living in NZ has its perks but also it's a lot harder to get sick bikes.

Paul regularly ships his frames all over the world.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hot paint

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TobinHatesYou posted:

Paul regularly ships his frames all over the world.

The issue with that I have found in the past is extensive shipping fees, gst on imports, and also I can't test ride anything like that. I'm leaning toward getting something made custom by a guy a couple of towns over. It's about as expensive if I add it all up plus I can have some input into the way it fits and I'd be supporting someone local.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:discourse:

:sickos:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 24, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

N+1

It's beat to hell and needs a lot of love but I'm excited to have another project. This will be my first time working on a mtb. Will I have luck asking mtb questions here or do the sweaty woodsmen mostly stick to their own thread?

spf3million posted:

90s MTB drop bar conversion project is moving along. I decided I'm going to get it riding again on the relative cheap using as much from the parts bin as I can, just to prove out the proof of concept. If it rides well, I'm planning on prettying it up to be more in line with the quality of the frame and bling bits that came with it.

This weekend I scooped up a NOS Manitou Skareb Super on craigslist to replace the old and busted RockShox Mag21:

Then as I was tearing it down, I found this gem:

I was going to just replace it with a UN-55 but this thing it pretty high end and half the weight of the UN-55. The bearings still spin well so I cleaned it up and popped it back in. Figured if I'm going with a square taper (for now), it might as well be titanium.

Next up are deciding on a shifting mechanism and finding some brake levers.

spf3million posted:

The 90s MTB drop bar conversion project has been in hibernation, finally moved the needle again today.

Reused:
Frame, Thomson post, 8spd deore XT RD, FD, triple crank, Chris King front and rear hubs, Chris King headset, canti rear brake

New/repurposed:
3x10spd 105 shifters, 11-36 10spd cassette, Alex Adventure II rims set up tubeless with 26x2.1" gravelking SK, Manitou Skareb Super fork, new BMX V-brake in the front, lovely saddle, generic gravel bars, shorty cheap stem

Shifts great but I'll need to pick up a goat link, can't make it into the biggest three gears. I've only gone around the block but it rides over kerbs really well!
Fiiinnnnalllyy finished this guy. Can't believe I got it back in rev 4 of the megathread.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

single speed exploded last sunday. i built this bike from all locally sourced parts in 3 days because i was supposed to lead a ride last night that got cancelled.

bikes are stupid:

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

Fiiinnnnalllyy finished this guy. Can't believe I got it back in rev 4 of the megathread.

It's an old joke that gravel bikes are just 90s mtbs with drop bars but drat if you can't buy something like this at a shop in a few years. Bike looks good.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Here is my new Tern Link D8. I have had it for about a month. Really like it so far.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's that stem dealie? And where is that steerer bottle cage in the folded position?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What's that stem dealie? And where is that steerer bottle cage in the folded position?
It's a (tool-free) fully adjustable dealie that doesn't suck.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Here is a video on the Andros Stem 2 that my bike has. https://youtu.be/HgFobqKoBac

And new folded picture with everything installed. First picture is when I first got it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

spf3million posted:

I've got 2 of these conversions on the mind. A friend wants a Gary Fisher converted and I have plans for a bianchi peregrine from 95.

So you have your parts list for converting the threaded fork to something modern?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

2013 model year Project One Trek Madone 6, was traded in at the local shop.

Got a 110mm-17-deg stem to replace the 90/7 that came on it get a bit less aggressive position and to stretch the reach just a little bit, it's a 54" frame which was just a bit undersized. The seat mast cap is close to maxxed out, so I'm debating getting the 175/20 cap to stretch that a bit too, but it is of course out of stock everywhere I've looked, even though my local Trek store says it's in stock.

Also got a Garmin 530 to make use of the integrated DuoTrap, and I've put ~200 miles on it in the 4 weeks since I got it. It rides like a dream.

After having put some miles on it, I'm assuming the guy who traded it in didn't ride it much. It still had the custom order sticker on the underside of the bottom bracket, a little faded, but with the serial, order# and date still legible. After my fairly minimal outdoor riding and a good wipedown and drivetrain scrubbing, everything but the adhesive layer dissolved right off. I don't imagine it would have survived 8 years of regular riding. Also the minimal riding I've done has opened that gap on the grip tape, which is otherwise clean but faded as hell. Going to rewrap the bars once I decide on new tape.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished this project I started half a year ago.

It's a late-seventies Bridgestone Submariner, made in Japan with a stainless steel main triangle. The idea was that it wouldn't rust on a coast. The grey box on the chainstay is an electric automatic gearbox for a Nexus 3 hub from early 2000s.

The bike (and the frame are heavy) but the ride is smooth and stable as you'd expect from a touring bike. It got new wheels, basket and a cockpit besides the Nexus 3 thing but everything else is original. They made several different versions of the automatic Nexus in the 2000s and this is the most basic one, it barely has any adjustments. I still have to figure useable gear ratios for it since it mostly likes to stay in the hardest gear even uphills. The gears now run on batteries but I'm hoping to figure out how to power them with the dynamo hub.

Havana Affair fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 31, 2021

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Havana Affair posted:

Just finished this project I started half a year ago.

It's a late-seventies Bridgestone Submariner, made in Japan with a stainless steel main triangle. The idea was that it wouldn't rust on a coast. The grey box on the chainstay is an electric automatic gearbox for a Nexus 3 hub from early 2000s.

The bike (and the frame are heavy) but the ride is smooth and stable as you'd expect from a touring bike. It got new wheels, basket and a cockpit besides the Nexus 3 thing but everything else is original. They made several different versions of the automatic Nexus in the 2000s and this is the most basic one, it barely has any adjustments. I still have to figure useable gear ratios for it since it mostly likes to stay in the hardest gear even uphills. The gears now run on batteries but I'm hoping to figure out how to power them with the dynamo hub.

I heard that the Nexus 6 model is really nice and powerful but breaks down after four years for some reason...

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've got 2 of these conversions on the mind. A friend wants a Gary Fisher converted and I have plans for a bianchi peregrine from 95.

So you have your parts list for converting the threaded fork to something modern?
Be careful, they aren't cheap. Luckily mine came with a chris king threadless headset and an old and busted rockshox judy fork. I found the skarab fork on ebay and reused the headset.

Cool bike, enjoy!

Havana Affair posted:

Very interesting. By "automatic" do you mean it shifts on its own somehow? Did you DIY the front rack support on the drive side?
Really nicely done.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
The box has a speedometer and it will change gears automatically according to speed. The front rack is all original, the bend is so the rack is not in the way of the front light.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

A simple little dream finally realized, I've got myself a nice bike and now I get to be on the receiving end of jokes about being sold a half-missing fork.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Getting some foster freeze with electric trailer:

More details here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933074&pagenumber=16&perpage=40&userid=0#post515221274

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's alive! :science::awesomelon:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Holy poo poo that is amazing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Havana Affair posted:

It's a late-seventies Bridgestone Submariner, made in Japan with a stainless steel main triangle.
That's pretty AF but that shifter has Got to Go.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

That's pretty AF but that shifter has Got to Go.

Oh, the shifter goes very well and makes a cool sound while going. Thanks for asking :)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it looks like a lil mouse riding along with you

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
More like a giant CueCat.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TobinHatesYou posted:

The chainstays are typical length. Look at the distance between the end of the crank and the tire.

In the other thread you mentioned something about some small flaws or mistakes you have with your custom build, would you be able to elaborate? I ask because I have contacted the frame builder and am going to meet with him in a week or two to discuss things, maybe get something started, and I am just wondering if you or the other guy who posts regularly (can't remember the name but his bike was made by Steve Rex) who have had custom bikes made have any tips on how to go about it?

I am fairly confident I know what I want, basically it's a copy of a Crust Bikes Disc Romanceur but taller than their XL so it measures more in line with my main bike and with a couple of other little tweaks. I imagine the frame builder will be able to streamline this and tell me what's dumb and what's good.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

In the other thread you mentioned something about some small flaws or mistakes you have with your custom build, would you be able to elaborate? I ask because I have contacted the frame builder and am going to meet with him in a week or two to discuss things, maybe get something started, and I am just wondering if you or the other guy who posts regularly (can't remember the name but his bike was made by Steve Rex) who have had custom bikes made have any tips on how to go about it?

I am fairly confident I know what I want, basically it's a copy of a Crust Bikes Disc Romanceur but taller than their XL so it measures more in line with my main bike and with a couple of other little tweaks. I imagine the frame builder will be able to streamline this and tell me what's dumb and what's good.

I believe it's nm you're looking for with the Steve Rex.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

If I buy another Rock Lobster, I'm stealing this paint scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

PolishPandaBear posted:

I believe it's nm you're looking for with the Steve Rex.

That's the one! He kept breaking bikes and parts before then.