Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hooplah posted:

Extremely funny given your username

i don't want to explain but it came up in a thread just earlier today (you have to read a few posts to get to pseudoscorpion)

Cool cool cool. Love too have to get a new username.

(Also I wasn't sure if it was Demon or another highly-recommended traditional roguelike whose name I don't remember, hence why I snipped my post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/1225928603352883202

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just wanted to add my opinion to Vivid Knight chat from a couple of pages ago. Game is great, and is quite challenging. First ~4 dungeons are pretty easy, and then the difficulty starts to ramp up a fair bit, and the most recent one took me 3 tries to beat it. Game works really well about balancing different aspects of the game to and pushing you to keep trying to improve your party through acquiring symbols, and designing a party around what the final boss will be.

Definitely recommend it

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Turin Turambar posted:

Way too soft of a definition. Under it, an FPS, a platform game and CRPG could be all roguelikes. Three games that would play very differently.

I agree it's too soft, but I'd consider a FPS like Void Bastards to still be a rogue like. (possibly lite)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
bands are roguelites because they have metaprogression because you go back to town between runs.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

bands are roguelites because they have metaprogression because you go back to town between runs.

They also have permadeath.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Just wanted to add my opinion to Vivid Knight chat from a couple of pages ago. Game is great, and is quite challenging. First ~4 dungeons are pretty easy, and then the difficulty starts to ramp up a fair bit, and the most recent one took me 3 tries to beat it. Game works really well about balancing different aspects of the game to and pushing you to keep trying to improve your party through acquiring symbols, and designing a party around what the final boss will be.

Definitely recommend it

I gave it a go and I agree that it's actually quite great. I'm terrible at it but I'm very interested in gitting gud.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Shots fired.
Edit: Nethack update: Just found the bones of a player with the galaxy brain idea to leave his valk stash (including Excalibur) in the big room which would be pretty nice... except I'm a neutral monk.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 4, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lawman 0 posted:

Shots fired.
Edit: Nethack update: Just found the bones of a player with the galaxy brain idea to leave his valk stash (including Excalibur) in the big room which would be pretty nice... except I'm a neutral monk.

:laffo:

That's incredible, thank you

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

:laffo:

That's incredible, thank you

:unsmith: at least I found an amulet of reflection and some cool rings.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's not a roguelike unless the goal is to obtain the Amulet of Yendor.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup (webtiles) is a party game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bones files are metaprogression, literal fail-forward.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean poo poo, Nethack's not even a permadeath game, what with the Amulet of Life-Saving.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I mean poo poo, Nethack's not even a permadeath game, what with the Amulet of Life-Saving.

Yeah but otoh generally you will want to wear something else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arzaac posted:

Nethack's a Sierra adventure game, you can put your character in a literal dead man walking scenario!

Well, sort of.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Nethack has no deck building, or card mechanics at all, so I don’t know why we’re even talking about it in the roguelike thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Glimpse posted:

Nethack has no deck building, or card mechanics at all, so I don’t know why we’re even talking about it in the roguelike thread.
It uses a very rudimentary, text-based form of a card inventory, so it makes sense to call it a proto-roguelike. You can even upgrade ("bless") your cards.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Glimpse posted:

You can pick locks with cards. And there's a very special card, too, for some characters. How is this an absence of card mechanics? :colbert:

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Glimpse posted:

Then how come im decked out?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Decided to try out Griftlands and all of a sudden 4 hours later I've cleared Sal's campaign.

This game has unbelievably high production values and a shocking amount of content for its price point. The script made me laugh multiple times and there's just a lot going on in any given playthrough.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Decided to try out Griftlands and all of a sudden 4 hours later I've cleared Sal's campaign.

This game has unbelievably high production values and a shocking amount of content for its price point. The script made me laugh multiple times and there's just a lot going on in any given playthrough.

Yeah I'm liking it a lot. I'm writing my impressions and stuff on the other thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895261&pagenumber=2

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had a look at this game, but it feels way too story-driven for what I am looking for in a roguelike. Any videos you would recommend on it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

I had a look at this game, but it feels way too story-driven for what I am looking for in a roguelike. Any videos you would recommend on it?

After you finish the story for the first time you unlock a "brawl mode" that I think skips all the story scenes and just focuses on the deckbuilding/combat aspect. I don't watch gaming videos generally so I can't recommend any, sorry.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I'm liking it a lot. I'm writing my impressions and stuff on the other thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895261&pagenumber=2

Ah cool, didn't realize there was a thread for it, I'll mosey on over.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

It's not a roguelike unless the goal is to obtain the Amulet of Yendor.

Those are more nethacklikes aren't they?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like HyperRogue got updated with VR support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mx1G0RlYck

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Looks like HyperRogue got updated with VR support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mx1G0RlYck

Something about this feels deeply cursed, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i would probably throw up if i played it

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
well at least it's still a top-down view, not first per-- oh no

Oh no

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh gently caress, griftlands is on switch

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Kchama posted:

I gave it a go and I agree that it's actually quite great. I'm terrible at it but I'm very interested in gitting gud.

I'm finding that the strategy changes a bunch the longer the game gets. On the shorter campaigns, you're mostly scrambling to get enough gold for a decent-sized team and a few upgraded units, but eventually the campaigns get long enough that you're doing that well before the final boss, which opens up the ability for you to do some real weird stuff with your remaining gold.

Some things I've found you can do are. . .

You can buy and sell units at the Jeweler for the same price, so if you have some inventory space and some gold it's not a bad idea to just buy the whole shop out, refresh, look for combos, and then sell the units you can't find doubles/triplets for

If you make a triplet, their skills remain even if you sell them, so the late game becomes a lot of grinding triplets by using the above refresh trick at the jeweler over and over. I just beat Ancient Lab (the one before the level that unlocks the second character) and I think I had, like. . .10+ skills active by the end? Maybe a third of those at second or third tier? Easily 2-3x as many as I'd ever gotten before

You end up with a near-unspendable number of crystals for the alchemist, so don't be afraid to just show up there and grind for powerful limited use consumables. It's real useful to get a mana stone or two from there, and some of the limited-use items are real strong. You can also roll up a consumable item, and if you have a full inventory you can use all its charges without even making space for it in your inventory.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, I picked up Griftlands tonight and as a StS vet started on P1.

I did not expect my first run to take this long, even though I was speeding through the dialogue:

poo poo's wild. Idk if it's quite as strategic as StS, but it's certainly something I see getting my :15bux: out of rather easily.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I fell off of Griftlands pretty quickly entirely because the runs are way too long for one sitting :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I fell off of Griftlands pretty quickly entirely because the runs are way too long for one sitting :v:

Don't... play them in one sitting? edit: like most roguelikes in this thread, in fact!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 5, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

OtspIII posted:

I'm finding that the strategy changes a bunch the longer the game gets. On the shorter campaigns, you're mostly scrambling to get enough gold for a decent-sized team and a few upgraded units, but eventually the campaigns get long enough that you're doing that well before the final boss, which opens up the ability for you to do some real weird stuff with your remaining gold.

Some things I've found you can do are. . .

You can buy and sell units at the Jeweler for the same price, so if you have some inventory space and some gold it's not a bad idea to just buy the whole shop out, refresh, look for combos, and then sell the units you can't find doubles/triplets for

If you make a triplet, their skills remain even if you sell them, so the late game becomes a lot of grinding triplets by using the above refresh trick at the jeweler over and over. I just beat Ancient Lab (the one before the level that unlocks the second character) and I think I had, like. . .10+ skills active by the end? Maybe a third of those at second or third tier? Easily 2-3x as many as I'd ever gotten before

You end up with a near-unspendable number of crystals for the alchemist, so don't be afraid to just show up there and grind for powerful limited use consumables. It's real useful to get a mana stone or two from there, and some of the limited-use items are real strong. You can also roll up a consumable item, and if you have a full inventory you can use all its charges without even making space for it in your inventory.

Yeah I'm still early on and I was doing my best to get as many triplets as possible and you just don't quite have enough money to get more than gold-star unit. And I'd always end with 200 crystals that I could have just spent on having powerful poo poo instead of squeaking out a victory against the boss. Very much use it or lose.

As you mentioned, the difficulty ramps up VERY quick for how easy the tutorial stages seem.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm really liking The Last Spell, but the level of meta-progression might be a turn-off. Like, the game is completely unbeatable until you hit x-number of upgrades because without it your numbers just cannot keep up with the enemy. It's not like Hades where if a good player started a new file they could possibly win on their first run without any unlocks. This leads to some weird playthrough logic where I'm saying to myself "okay, I know this run is inevitably doomed no matter what I do, so do I even bother trying to play smart and see how long I can go, or do I just dump all my resources into things that will get me new unlocks which will get me to a state where I am actually able to win sooner?

That being said, it's fun and I really like the genre mixup. Normally turn-based strategy games have small numbers of enemy units where you're doing 1v1s, but this game is all about giving your units AoE spells to kill tons of monsters per turn.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm really liking The Last Spell, but the level of meta-progression might be a turn-off. Like, the game is completely unbeatable until you hit x-number of upgrades because without it your numbers just cannot keep up with the enemy. It's not like Hades where if a good player started a new file they could possibly win on their first run without any unlocks. This leads to some weird playthrough logic where I'm saying to myself "okay, I know this run is inevitably doomed no matter what I do, so do I even bother trying to play smart and see how long I can go, or do I just dump all my resources into things that will get me new unlocks which will get me to a state where I am actually able to win sooner?

That being said, it's fun and I really like the genre mixup. Normally turn-based strategy games have small numbers of enemy units where you're doing 1v1s, but this game is all about giving your units AoE spells to kill tons of monsters per turn.

The key question is, for me, is there good enough variety in... enemy types, character classes, talents, spells, etc to be entertained with different stuff while you climb up the metaprogression?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played a few hours of Griftlands. The mechanics seemed to be pretty interesting but then I got to the metaprogression shop and now I'm starting to rapidly lose interest.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Turin Turambar posted:

Don't... play them in one sitting? edit: like most roguelikes in this thread, in fact!

I don't, I play them in 2-3 sittings :v:
I'm just saying that even though I genuinely like the game I never play it because I know a run is going to be too long for me to do it in one sitting, but too short for me to have a character/build be a long-term project that I can come back to repeatedly like in something like Qud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I played a few hours of Griftlands. The mechanics seemed to be pretty interesting but then I got to the metaprogression shop and now I'm starting to rapidly lose interest.

I think it's a case of the metaprogression really not being needed to beat a normal run, but it goes hand in hand with the Prestige (extra difficulties) mode. As you advance in the metaprogression, you can try higher Prestige in your runs.