Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
End of October 2020: „lmao you really pay almost 1900 Euro for a 3090 Strix? Hahaha, you are so DUMB! Should have waited for a 3080TI in like 5 months for 999 hahaha“

June 2021: „Hey…. Do you still play and use your 3090 Strix? I am willing to offer 2400 Euro asap“

How the turn tables and desperation grows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
an interesting bit from the GN teardown of the RTX 3080 Tai is that neither the box nor the GPU will be stamped with any indication that it's an LHR chip (presumably because there is no "non-LHR" branding to compete against), even if it's an LHR product. I would assume this would be the same for the 3070 Tai as well

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, Pascal was an absolute champ of an architecture, but basically within months after the mining crash everything slid down a tier anyway.

There's a global component shortage going on right now, and in your hypothesis that doesn't cause any lag in Nvidia's roadmap, they just keep replacing products with ones that are harder/faster/stronger/better using whatever parts are around in the shop.

I'm the opinion the 3060 would be the reasonable sub-$300 graphics card if it could have launched in 2020 instead of 2021 after protections on consumer tariffs lapsed. What we are ultimately witnessing here is consequences for five years of America drunkenly getting on a table and yelling "You work for me" at any nation within earshot. The political organizations that are fueled by hatred believe making GPUs more expensive is good because of xenophobia, and the organizations that are still working within the reality that exists believe that making GPUs more expensive is good because they identify one of the most crucial parts of the supply chain as a threat to producing our own technology. In response you're seeing a lot of renewed One China fervor over Taiwan to the point where recently John Cena had to apologize for calling Taiwan a country, just at the same time that every leading supplier of electronic goodies are leaning hard on Taiwan Semiconductor.

Which is to say, if you're here and worried about your pocketbook, what you really miss was the trade deficit because it was that undervalued currency in the name of strengthening exports which gave you nice toys.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lets not forget that freight costs (air and sea) are through the roof right now. Every bit of the chain from sub-components right through to end-distributor is more expensive.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

an interesting bit from the GN teardown of the RTX 3080 Tai is that neither the box nor the GPU will be stamped with any indication that it's an LHR chip (presumably because there is no "non-LHR" branding to compete against), even if it's an LHR product. I would assume this would be the same for the 3070 Tai as well

Presumably the reason they stamped LHR on the older cards is because they don't want to deal with the potential legal fallout from someone claiming they were falsely sold a product that doesn't work like it was advertised to. Since the 3080Ti/3070Ti never existed without LHR, this doesn't apply.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DerekSmartymans posted:

I hope you mean paper books because if you aren’t mining on your Android phone and iPad as well you may need to be purged by the Strawberry God.

the year is 2009... the near future. if you aren't mining on your palm pad you're leaving money on the table

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
also it's been extremely amusing watching everyone realize it's pronounced tie and not tee aii

serious question: has anyone who didn't understand that actually watched an nvidia announcement in the last 5 years?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Shipon posted:

yeah the 3080 ti is expensive enough that if you're going to be crazy enough to get one you might as well spend a bit more and have double the vram instead of only 2 gb more than a card half the price.
I am struggling to resist the stupid temptation to buy a 3090 FE for £1,400 (not impossible as they stay in stock for longer than other models in the UK) and sell my 3080 FE on eBay, where the going rate for used cards is £1,600.

Does anyone know where the '10GB VRAM isn't enough for 4K' argument ended up? Even the 3080 feels like overkill for my 1440p monitor but I will almost definitely get one of the new 32"/4K/144hz monitors later this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SuperTeeJay posted:

I am struggling to resist the stupid temptation to buy a 3090 FE for £1,400 (not impossible as they stay in stock for longer than other models in the UK) and sell my 3080 FE on eBay, where the going rate for used cards is £1,600.

Does anyone know where the '10GB VRAM isn't enough for 4K' argument ended up? Even the 3080 feels like overkill for my 1440p monitor but I will almost definitely get one of the new 32"/4K/144hz monitors later this year.

the fact that you're in a position to do any of this means you should sell sell sell

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

I have noticed my VRAM usage spike above 12 GB while in VR, but that's only the amount allocated not actually used. That said the Reverb G2 is pushing about 12% more pixels than 4k at 90hz so I can see 10 being a bit too stuffy for it

1440p 160hz still hits a card pretty hard, the 3080 is worth it if you really want to stay close to max refresh there.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

SuperTeeJay posted:

Looking at the release calendar for 2021, there isn't really anything I can see using that much VRAM. Wait a week (for Wednesday) and see what the sysreqs for the upcoming Battlefield will be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr.PayDay posted:

End of October 2020: „lmao you really pay almost 1900 Euro for a 3090 Strix? Hahaha, you are so DUMB! Should have waited for a 3080TI in like 5 months for 999 hahaha“

June 2021: „Hey…. Do you still play and use your 3090 Strix? I am willing to offer 2400 Euro asap“

How the turn tables and desperation grows.

:negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1400611750643441664?s=20

zack snyder is such a hack

Texas.jpg

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 4, 2021

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I haven’t done the new egg shuffle before but do you sign up for as many products as you want and can buy as many as you win or can you only buy one product (but enter for as many as you’d like) per shuffle?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Paul MaudDib posted:

also it's been extremely amusing watching everyone realize it's pronounced tie and not tee aii

serious question: has anyone who didn't understand that actually watched an nvidia announcement in the last 5 years?

literally no, i got into all this computer crap last year when lockdown meant i had fuckall else to do. like, i imagine a significant portion of us got whatever we know from tech youtube since we needed good guides on how to put everything together. i got curious and asked in a discord a few months after and, yep, every single one of them got into it through LTT, GN and maybe Jayz2Cents or however he spells it, that algorithm is a cagey fucker.

hell, when i sold my 970 i was doing some aftersale tech support cause i'm a sucker (and it was a kid tbf) and he was panicking about how it wasn't spinning by default and i was explaining the zero rpm idle mode and how you can use afterburner to set a different curve and monitor temperature, etc, but he was still a bit nervous so i dug up Jay's video on how modern GPUs are highly resistant to damaging themselves thermally. he immediately went "oh my god i love jay! i watch all his videos etc etc". this was in the rear end end of northern england, this poo poo has had spread.

and all the tech youtubers have always said tee eye. i never watch nvidia's stuff i wait for independent reviews, ie, gamers nexus.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CoolCab posted:

literally no, i got into all this computer crap last year when lockdown meant i had fuckall else to do. like, i imagine a significant portion of us got whatever we know from tech youtube since we needed good guides on how to put everything together. i got curious and asked in a discord a few months after and, yep, every single one of them got into it through LTT, GN and maybe Jayz2Cents or however he spells it, that algorithm is a cagey fucker.

hell, when i sold my 970 i was doing some aftersale tech support cause i'm a sucker (and it was a kid tbf) and he was panicking about how it wasn't spinning by default and i was explaining the zero rpm idle mode and how you can use afterburner to set a different curve and monitor temperature, etc, but he was still a bit nervous so i dug up Jay's video on how modern GPUs are highly resistant to damaging themselves thermally. he immediately went "oh my god i love jay! i watch all his videos etc etc". this was in the rear end end of northern england, this poo poo has had spread.

and all the tech youtubers have always said tee eye. i never watch nvidia's stuff i wait for independent reviews, ie, gamers nexus.

yeah that's fair, I guess there's probably a significant influence from techtubers who are saying it wrong too

not really trying to dump on you specifically but I'm pretty sure I've heard "tie" in the presentations since like 980 ti at least

completely feel the "trying to tech support for the rando who bought your card" lol

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah that's fair, I guess there's probably a significant influence from techtubers who are saying it wrong too

not really trying to dump on you specifically but I'm pretty sure I've heard "tie" in the presentations since like 980 ti at least

completely feel the "trying to tech support for the rando who bought your card" lol

I've always called it Tee Eye while the same time being completely aware it's displayed as Ti not TI so it makes to say it as tie.

I swear I blame it on working for Honda and the Civic Si being the Es Eye and not the See

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Call it the '3080 SHEEEeeesh.'

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3080 "ti" more like 3080 "lie" because it barely exists

:downsrim:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is SLI pronounced Sly? :thunk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIvy posted:

Is SLI pronounced Sly? :thunk:

I'm still a little... can you be nostalgic for something that you never had? I kinda wish I was around and was building PCs in the days of SLI because HAVING TWO GRAPHICS CARDS AT THE SAME TIME YEAH!!! would have been cool as poo poo

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still a little... can you be nostalgic for something that you never had? I kinda wish I was around and was building PCs in the days of SLI because HAVING TWO GRAPHICS CARDS AT THE SAME TIME YEAH!!! would have been cool as poo poo

You can buy a Nvidia Bridge, they're $80. Whether it matters at all is another story...

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Okay so, here I am again, the guy in Canada with a 970. Do we think cards are going to be easier to get one of these months? Because drat. Someday I'd really like to upgrade (for a non-scalped price).

I've been on the EVGA waiting list since, oh, mid-September?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vasler posted:

Okay so, here I am again, the guy in Canada with a 970. Do we think cards are going to be easier to get one of these months? Because drat. Someday I'd really like to upgrade (for a non-scalped price).

I've been on the EVGA waiting list since, oh, mid-September?

it was "between six months and a year" before things got better for almost a full year now, but good news! these days it's more like "between a year and a year and six months"!

e: but the most honest answer is since crypto is involved not one knows. the fab shortage will be hosed for probably that long tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Way back in like the GeForce 2 days nVidia was clear that Ti stood for titanium. That was the era when everything cool was the Titanium Edition. The Powerbook G4 came out about the same time.

Elemental symbols are always pronounced as discrete letters. Nobody is out there saying "nackle" when reading 'NaCl'.

nVidia's marketing department probably changed it to Thai because it's easier to trademark than two letters / an elemental symbol but they're still objectively wrong and it still sounds dumb as poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

I haven’t done the new egg shuffle before but do you sign up for as many products as you want and can buy as many as you win or can you only buy one product (but enter for as many as you’d like) per shuffle?

You have three hours to buy whatever you win.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Way back in like the GeForce 2 days nVidia was clear that Ti stood for titanium. That was the era when everything cool was the Titanium Edition. The Powerbook G4 came out about the same time.

Elemental symbols are always pronounced as discrete letters. Nobody is out there saying "nackle" when reading 'NaCl'.

nVidia's marketing department probably changed it to Thai because it's easier to trademark than two letters / an elemental symbol but they're still objectively wrong and it still sounds dumb as poo poo.

Agreed. I’m a few years out from chemistry courses but “Ca” was always spelled out, not pronounced “Keah,” so that’s what I’ve been going with.

Also I have never watched an Nvidia event because I can just get the news in 30 seconds after it’s over

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 4, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wait till you try and investigate what GTX stands for!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

gradenko_2000 posted:

I never had SLI but I did enjoy building quite a few systems for people that wanted SLI back in nVidia 6000 and 7000 series

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'd never build one but it was kind of neat knowing SLI existed, in the same way idk threadripper or something is now. conspicuous consumption showcase pieces or just pushing the limitations of what was possible using enthusiast tech. my understanding is it never actually loving worked properly in the handful of games that supported it, though.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was fun back in the days when graphics cards were basically pixel painters - you could simply divide a rendering workload such that every even line was handled by one card, every odd line was handled by the other, and outside of bandwidth, storage, or geometry bottlenecks, performance would scale almost linearly. Granted, by 90s standards a 3Dfx SLI rig was the definition of an expensive indulgence that was only any good for video games, but it was pretty swell for those who could afford it. Unfortunately the limits of the hardware restricted its usefulness to a small window of time - I seem to remember Serious Sam: The Second Encounter being pretty marginal on mine even with a Pentium 4 pushing it uphill.

gradenko_2000 posted:

GTS was GigaTexel Shader, for the Geforce2. The X... I dunno, blame marketing, maybe an attempt to revise it to GigaTeXel for that big camelcase energy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
SLI let you squeeze out like an additional 20% of performance from your graphics card for double the price of it. Which hilariously enough is also what the 3080 Ti does.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder how many people bought dual 3090s not aware driver SLI support was discontinued and that second card does absolutely nothing outside of the handful of games with explicit mGPU support

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

I wonder how many people bought dual 3090s not aware driver SLI support was discontinued and that second card does absolutely nothing outside of the handful of games with explicit mGPU support

they just really wanted to run Strange Brigade at 400 FPS

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

repiv posted:

Probably virtually none. If you're paying at those prices you will drat well know what you're getting and why.

Anyway most of the people using NVlink on the 3090s will be using it in cinema4d and other high end workstation poo poo, not games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I finally feel vindicated for insisting on pronouncing RTX “ritticks” to friends and family.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
You pronounce it "tai-teyneeuhm" not "tee-ai-teyneeuhm"

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Kunabomber posted:

You pronounce it "tai-teyneeuhm" not "tee-ai-teyneeuhm"

But again, when referring to elemental abbreviations or simple compounds, it's common practice to spell individual letters for clarification, like KCl as "kay cee ell." By the time this is all done it'll be at LEAST as dumb as how to pronounce GIF...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Spacedad posted:

Most of the people using NVlink on the 3090s will be using it in cinema4d and other high end workstation poo poo, not games.

Puget Systems already did a system with four now-extinct Gigabyte blower 3090s and didn't need NVLink.

The system also sounded like a C-130 with all four turning on the tarmac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Now that you can memory pool over NVLink with consumer cards a pair of 3090s can actually be really sweet for certain workloads. 48GB of fast memory for less than an A6000