Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thinking about the fact its legal for Tesla to not have mechanical actuated locks and realizing how bad our regulatory organizations have failed us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Ford says they are introducing a compact pickup truck named Maverick next week as its new entry-level vehicle.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/behold-entry-level-ford-vehicle-140000132.html

Has there been any leaks or photos of this thing around?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

got off on a technicality posted:

IIRC one of the car mags published an interesting article about this, the upshot being that Tesla is really uncommonly good at optimizing for the test in ways that may not translate to real world range

It was Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/amp33824052/adjustment-factor-tesla-uses-for-big-epa-range-numbers/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

taqueso posted:

That poor car is being eaten by the plastic underbody

Thou shalt speak no ill of Isuzu and their kickin' rad body cladding.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Do I spy IRS? If so, that's rad. That would mean that the Maverick, the Raptor and the Lightning would all be independent at all 4 corners for 2023.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Nobody can hit 500 miles per charge and Tesla’s actual range advantage isn’t nearly as great as their on paper range advantage which also isn’t 200 miles. A Mach-E and a Model 3 LR have pretty much identical real world range.

Oh look, Tesla's the only manufacturer who overestimates their range in marketing. I'm shocked.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:mrwhite:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

quote:

opting for 21-inch wheels on a Model S Long Range Plus will cut the range by nearly 80 miles

:eyepop:

Do normal cars suffer from this much of a difference with bigger wheels?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I saw two of these in Asheville NC a couple weeks ago, I wasn't able to take pictures so I didn't think it was worth posting anything. I can only identify them because the headlights from the side look the same. For what it's worth I didn't think they were very small in person. Not huge but not much different in size than a Tacoma or a Ranger, at least while I was driving past them. A bit lower but still looked longer than I want a small truck to be (then again we're stuck with crew cabs so that will always be a problem I guess).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A lower bed, which like you and the photos suggest these have, will make me very happy (when I buy a used one years from now).

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MeruFM posted:

quote:

In April 2010, Car and Driver conducted a thorough test on a new Volkswagen Golf 2.5 to see how much of an impact larger tires had on the vehicle’s fuel efficiency. The Volkswagen Golf 2.5, which has a factory tire size of 15 x 6.0 inches was tested with tires as large as 19 x8.5 inches in the Car and Driver test. With the standard 15 x 6.0 in tires the Volkswagen Golf 2.5 was rated with a fuel economy of 23.3 miles per gallon (MPG) in the Car and Driver test. When the Volkswagen was equipped with 19 x 8.5 inch tires the fuel economy dropped to only 21.1 MPG – that’s less than a 10% decrease in fuel economy.

They didn't go up to 21s, but it doesn't look linear, 21's may be almost as bad on gas.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15130598/upsized-wheels-tires/

18->19 was almost 1mpg, so if you lose another 1.5 going to 21's that's a 15% loss compared to the Tesla's 20%

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wonder why the braking distance went up for the 16's and then back down, seems like an outlier.

MeruFM posted:

The other thing, but not mentioned, is that the 21" comes with a kinda sticky Michelin PSS, while the 19" is a low rolling resistance tire.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The smaller wheels on Tesla's are the aero ones. The larger aren't. I would assume that's the biggest factor.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the industrial revolution was driven in large part by companies like Ford and Mercedes-Benz

the post-war period saw the rise of Honda and Toyota

the early 21st century has given us Tesla

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

phosdex posted:

The smaller wheels on Tesla's are the aero ones. The larger aren't. I would assume that's the biggest factor.

That'd be an interesting test, they are supposed to be working on aero 21" wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Oh look, Tesla's the only manufacturer who overestimates their range in marketing. I'm shocked.

I see several other OEMs that had to pay big fuel economy based settlements in there. not really a unique behavior.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder why the braking distance went up for the 16's and then back down, seems like an outlier.
The other thing, but not mentioned, is that the 21" comes with a kinda sticky Michelin PSS, while the 19" is a low rolling resistance tire.

The jump from 15" to 16" gets you a larger wheel, but brake disc size stays the same? I'm thinking the 17" wheel comes with bigger brake discs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that listens to car podcasts, specifically, Spike's Car Radio/Smoking Tire/Collecting Cars. There's definitely a lot of overlap between the podcast hosts, and it almost seems as if they have a sort of groupthink/cabal/etc on many issues.

Now, I don't have any allegiance to Tesla, and I've never owned one. Still, I kind of get the impression that the "online podcast host" crew seems to have a very negative impression of the company/their cars, while having a very positive impression of the EVs that Ford/Porsche/etc make, even after they have their own QC problems, and very positive impressions of cars like the Defender. The cynical part of me wonders if part of the reason might be that Tesla seems to not have any real PR arm that throws launches/press junkets/review cars out, while the traditional automakers seem to cater to journalists in that way.

Am I overthinking online car podcasting?

Going back to this original point, I think you’re overthinking it but also maybe glossing over their stances a bit. Those guys are pretty consistent in saying QC issues notwithstanding, Tesla cars are fine, but they have huge problems with a) the utter scam of selling their customers a multi thousand dollar “self driving” feature on one hand while telling regulators on the other “nope, no self driving going on here not at all sir” and b) using public roads to run a beta test of this new tech, that its one thing to do that to customers who sign up, but the rest of us in our regular cars, motorbikes, cycles or walking didn’t sign up for any of this. The way they market autopilot is bullshit, the loving tunnel is bullshit, and the way Musk runs the company is ridiculous. That’s what they are consistent in hating on, not the vehicles.

Spike bought a Model 3 recently. Matt bought a Mach E and quite happily told listeners that the screens stopped working as they drove off the lot, so turned around and threw the keys back and said call when it’s fixed, so he’s not glossing over that. Why wouldn’t they be positive about the Taycan when the reviews are universally good? Is there something I’m missing about it? With the Defender, again, why would they not be positive about it? Every single review I’ve seen raves about them, except for the weird window boxes. Should they hate it because it’s not as utilitarian (70 year old farm implement) as the old Defender? Should they hate it because it’s a Land Rover and it will probably be catastrophic in a few years? They’re driving brand new press cars, it would be ridiculous for them to speculate on long term quality in a first drive review.

I know there was one channel that had their Defender totally replaced because when the dealer (or someone) tried to install a front bar, they drilled through a wiring harness which for whatever reason, wasn’t replaceable. Now I’m speculating here, but if I had to bet, it “wasn’t replaceable” in terms of spare parts availability and timeliness on a brand new vehicle so replacing the car was an expedient solution. I also would say it’s unfair to say “hurr typical dodgy Land Rover electrics” when someone drilled through a goddamn harness on a brand new vehicle.

Personally I find their reviews pretty balanced, but like anything YMMV.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They actually went through 3 Defenders. The first one died in less than 100 miles. Technically I guess they never took ownership of the 2nd because the dealer ruined it.

They still have the third though and they do seem to like it now that they have a working one. But they did admit they had to work through Land Rover’s PR team to get it resolved and aren’t sure how a normal customer would have been able to get 2 replacement cars so easily.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hyundai Ioniq 5 is a tron car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSt2ijx1RQ

going to be pretty wacky seeing these things rolling around in a few months, they went 1000% all in on this looking like a movie prop

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's styled after the Hyundai Pony + the pixel gimmick. There's always the Kia EV6 but I find the rear ugly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

90s Solo Cup posted:

The jump from 15" to 16" gets you a larger wheel, but brake disc size stays the same? I'm thinking the 17" wheel comes with bigger brake discs.

The article posted is the same car, just swapping wheels and tire width :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Going back to this original point, I think you’re overthinking it but also maybe glossing over their stances a bit. Those guys are pretty consistent in saying QC issues notwithstanding, Tesla cars are fine, but they have huge problems with a) the utter scam of selling their customers a multi thousand dollar “self driving” feature on one hand while telling regulators on the other “nope, no self driving going on here not at all sir” and b) using public roads to run a beta test of this new tech, that its one thing to do that to customers who sign up, but the rest of us in our regular cars, motorbikes, cycles or walking didn’t sign up for any of this. The way they market autopilot is bullshit, the loving tunnel is bullshit, and the way Musk runs the company is ridiculous. That’s what they are consistent in hating on, not the vehicles.

Spike bought a Model 3 recently. Matt bought a Mach E and quite happily told listeners that the screens stopped working as they drove off the lot, so turned around and threw the keys back and said call when it’s fixed, so he’s not glossing over that. Why wouldn’t they be positive about the Taycan when the reviews are universally good? Is there something I’m missing about it? With the Defender, again, why would they not be positive about it? Every single review I’ve seen raves about them, except for the weird window boxes. Should they hate it because it’s not as utilitarian (70 year old farm implement) as the old Defender? Should they hate it because it’s a Land Rover and it will probably be catastrophic in a few years? They’re driving brand new press cars, it would be ridiculous for them to speculate on long term quality in a first drive review.

I know there was one channel that had their Defender totally replaced because when the dealer (or someone) tried to install a front bar, they drilled through a wiring harness which for whatever reason, wasn’t replaceable. Now I’m speculating here, but if I had to bet, it “wasn’t replaceable” in terms of spare parts availability and timeliness on a brand new vehicle so replacing the car was an expedient solution. I also would say it’s unfair to say “hurr typical dodgy Land Rover electrics” when someone drilled through a goddamn harness on a brand new vehicle.

Personally I find their reviews pretty balanced, but like anything YMMV.

Because:

Zero One posted:

They actually went through 3 Defenders. The first one died in less than 100 miles. Technically I guess they never took ownership of the 2nd because the dealer ruined it.

They still have the third though and they do seem to like it now that they have a working one. But they did admit they had to work through Land Rover’s PR team to get it resolved and aren’t sure how a normal customer would have been able to get 2 replacement cars so easily.

Yeah it's this (the second part). I just find it interesting how Farrah's vocalness on the Mach E's faults differs from his stance on Tesla's faults. Tesla's doing some dubious things, but I didn't hear very loud criticism of other automakers (such as VAG) during/after the whole dieselgate fiasco. Is it because what Tesla is doing is worse, or is it because the VAG group has some pretty good press launches? I'll give you that Spike is a special case, in that he's said that he won't accept a car to "review" if he knows he won't be able to say positive things about it.

If I had a constant line of press cars dropped off I'd also want to keep that train rolling. If I accept that it's entertainment, not journalism, I can get past it, but I get the feeling that they want to pass themselves off as something in-between. It's just kind of a slimy feeling, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 4, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Seeing that parked alongside the rest of the lineup will be interesting. Looks good and exactly the small truck people have been asking for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Oldest Man posted:

going to be pretty wacky seeing these things rolling around in a few months, they went 1000% all in on this looking like a movie prop

I really like how they look and am glad that they shipped something sci-fi looking.

I actually like how it looks a lot more than the 2016?-2020 Civic for example, which is also sci-fi looking but too busy and pointy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There are dozens of us that would prefer a 2 door maverick with a longer bed

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

moist turtleneck posted:

There are dozens of us that would prefer a 2 door maverick with a longer bed

Or at least just the 'jump seat' extended cab.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've only ever owned single cab trucks with adequate beds but from what I've seen you can get a bit more room out of them by dropping the tail gate and installing some sort of protruding barrier. Or just hang the whatever partway out and strap it down. If I can fit a couch in the bed in such a way that it won't fall off on the interstate I'd be happy, the rear seats are nice for secure storage and occasional passengers.

Mostly I just keep resisting owning a modern huge vehicle, I think this Maverick will seem plenty large to me.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Been thinking about the maverick and I'm starting to warm up to it, for some reason my the points I was complaining about seem to be positives with the hyundai trucklet, so I know my initial opinion started out flawed- hell, I actually like the hyundai, which is all you need to know that my opinion about trucks is pretty poo poo. The hyundai's bed is actually a smidge longer than the maverick's, so maybe it was just a visual proportion thing. I wonder if the two I saw in person had extended beds, but really I think it was because I wasn't able to get a good look at either of them.

Really I'll be happy so long as we get trucks back to reasonable sizes again.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I'll go ahead and start the line for the few of us who would lust over a Maverick ST.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In the other hand, the Maverick will also be available as a hybrid, which seems pretty cool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Residency Evil posted:

Because:
Yeah it's this (the second part). I just find it interesting how Farrah's vocalness on the Mach E's faults differs from his stance on Tesla's faults. Tesla's doing some dubious things, but I didn't hear very loud criticism of other automakers (such as VAG) during/after the whole dieselgate fiasco. Is it because what Tesla is doing is worse, or is it because the VAG group has some pretty good press launches? I'll give you that Spike is a special case, in that he's said that he won't accept a car to "review" if he knows he won't be able to say positive things about it.

If I had a constant line of press cars dropped off I'd also want to keep that train rolling. If I accept that it's entertainment, not journalism, I can get past it, but I get the feeling that they want to pass themselves off as something in-between. It's just kind of a slimy feeling, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I mean, here he is opening his Taycan review by mentioning dieselgate, 6 years after it was a fresh story?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a32207936/i-beat-the-porsche-taycan-4ss-epa-range-by-81-miles/

I forgot he also had a Focus RS with the wrong head gasket and we heard plenty about that too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Oldest Man posted:

I love it. I want one. I likely can't afford it, since he mentioned pricing similar to the Mach E, which I also love and want. Staying the same income-wise feels like sliding down the ladder these days. At least I have a job, right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like the side and the front of that Ioniq 5, but I'm not digging that "pixel" tail light array thing at all. Now that he pointed out the wheelbase and how hatchbacky it looks, I definitely see it. I mean it's still lifted like a CUV, but yea it is interestingly shaped.

Just glad it doesn't have an obscene amount of rubber cladding :v:

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

BloodBag posted:

I love it. I want one. I likely can't afford it, since he mentioned pricing similar to the Mach E, which I also love and want. Staying the same income-wise feels like sliding down the ladder these days. At least I have a job, right?

No you’re absolutely correct to feel that way. Cost of living keeps going up while average wages stagnate. I’m loving the Lightning but I can’t justify a $40K vehicle as my daily. Biden needs to convert the EV Tax credit into a point of sale credit but he’s not getting that because most (republicans) of congress is bought and paid for by big oil.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Funnily enough, vehicles are one of the few things you're not getting hosed on, until now. It just that housing, healthcare and education cost so much more that combined with decades of wage stagnation you're getting turbo hosed

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I mean, here he is opening his Taycan review by mentioning dieselgate, 6 years after it was a fresh story?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a32207936/i-beat-the-porsche-taycan-4ss-epa-range-by-81-miles/

I forgot he also had a Focus RS with the wrong head gasket and we heard plenty about that too.

:shrug: like I said, it’s just a feeling I get when listening to journalists talk about it. Objectively sure, they mention dieselgate, but it’s often right before talking about how awesome the newest Porsche/Audi/etc is. Tesla seems to get bashed in the automotive media a lot more.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Residency Evil posted:

:shrug: like I said, it’s just a feeling I get when listening to journalists talk about it. Objectively sure, they mention dieselgate, but it’s often right before talking about how awesome the newest Porsche/Audi/etc is. Tesla seems to get bashed in the automotive media a lot more.

I don’t watch YouTube reviewers but Tesla reviews in print media have been generally extremely generous, verging on fawning.

Like this paragraph from a C&D comparison of a Model Y and Mach E is the sort of breathless techno-utopian sermonizing that gets written about Tesla A LOT and it’s not hard to see “they’re poorly put together and they are going to literally kill people beta testing things on public roads” as a pretty natural counterpoint from people who think that others in the industry are getting a little carried away.

quote:

Loh said it best: "When you move from the Mach-E to the Model Y, you feel like you've taken a step forward into the future. The impact of that step is smaller thanks to the amazing job Ford's done, but there's no similar sense of wonder when you go from Model Y to Mach-E."

This particular article compares unfavorably Ford’s driver assists with FSD, a thing that is not actually publicly available and may never be so in its currently tested form.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 4, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Residency Evil posted:

VAG is at least changing.

Tesla on the other hand just seems to double down on some of the worse decisions like removing sensors and physical controls then trying to justify it as 'not cost cutting lol', quoting exaggerated range numbers (the NZ Model 3 site still has NEDC ranges for God's sake) etc

I'm still considering a basic Model 3, but it's because of the value for money it provided relative to other EVs on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I finally saw a mustang mach e today in person. It was a dealer car, and I talked to the guy driving it. It was a low trim without a sunroof and I liked it. I can't tell if you can get it with cloth or not, the seats looked like vinyl, but overall I liked it. Looks good.