Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Capitalism is about making sure that poverty and unhappiness spread as far as possible into society so you can feel better about your own position. It's a pervasive disease of the brain where ensuring that there are plentiful losers is far more important than there being any winners at all.

Edit: The third reich was defeated in its 13th year. Unfortunately capitalism persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd happily leave my cushy bullshit office job to go work in a coffee shop. Just not comfortable with the pay, conditions, and overall precariousness

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Is he actually on track to win? I thought he was a pretty long shot.

For what it's worth, the last poll i saw had him waaaaaay out in front.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be labour 20pts ahead of tories (under any other leader but Big J) not tories 20 points ahead of Labour under the establishment dream leader?
That’s the joke ;)

(The joke is on all of us who dreamed that better things were possible :()

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be labour 20pts ahead of tories (under any other leader but Big J) not tories 20 points ahead of Labour under the establishment dream leader?

They said "any other leader would be 20 points ahead". I don't recall them specifying which party that leader would lead.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

They said "any other leader would be 20 points ahead". I don't recall them specifying which party that leader would lead.

Finally, Willie Rennie's time to shine!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

For what it's worth, the last poll i saw had him waaaaaay out in front.

I hope he wins, he seems like mccluskey but spicier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wille zum Rennie, a blind incessant impulse without knowledge that drives the instinct to, uh, whatever this is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Owl's got a high pain tolerance and you don't sadly.

I have a specific pain tolerance, in that I am fine with things I know for a fact aren't actually dangerous. Anything I can't see or I don't know where the pain is coming from freaks me the absolute gently caress out.

So, surface level damage to skin: fine. Cystoscopy for urethral scarring: absolutely haram worst thing I have ever had happen to me in hospital and top five for worst things to happen to me full stop. Feels like someone turning your dick into shishkebab very slowly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 4, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Wille zum Rennie, a blind incessant impulse without knowledge that drives the instinct to, uh, whatever this is

Look at that majestic fluffy boy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sheep's deece too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I hope he wins, he seems like mccluskey but spicier.

Yeah, from the Labour shitheads that are attacking him, I'd say he's an excellent choice of union leader.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Frightened young lambs left in Sunderland gardens

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

That’s the joke ;)

(The joke is on all of us who dreamed that better things were possible :()

I know I was being 'ironic' ;)

OwlFancier posted:

I have a specific pain tolerance, in that I am fine with things I know for a fact aren't actually dangerous. Anything I can't see or I don't know where the pain is coming from freaks me the absolute gently caress out.

So, surface level damage to skin: fine. Cystoscopy for urethral scarring: absolutely haram worst thing I have ever had happen to me in hospital and top five for worst things to happen to me full stop. Feels like someone turning your dick into shishkebab very slowly.

That reminds me, Isaac Newton apparently used to shove a glass rod up there to stop his precious bodily fluids from being wasted.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beckett is the one who wants to start a TV channel instead of using that money to donate to the Labour Party.

Can someone post where polling on the leadership election is? I'm interested to see what they standings are.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Willie Rennie should lead the UK lib dems, far superior to whatever anonymous melt they currently have. At least there would be more photoshoots of him doing weird poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

Wales moves to alert level 1

Up to 30 people will be able to meet outdoors and large outdoor activities will be able to take place from Monday 7 June 2021, as Wales moves into alert level one.

The move to alert level one will be phased, with outdoor events opening first. Ministers will review the public health situation again, ahead of 21 June 2021, to determine whether indoor events can restart.

source: email from Business Wales.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/julesmattsson/status/1400783323610365954?s=21

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Tesseraction posted:

Beckett is the one who wants to start a TV channel instead of using that money to donate to the Labour Party.

Can someone post where polling on the leadership election is? I'm interested to see what they standings are.

This is the one i saw, although it's only a small sample group. https://twitter.com/NAJ562/status/1398967788941742085

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know I was being 'ironic' ;)
That reminds me, Isaac Newton apparently used to shove a glass rod up there to stop his precious bodily fluids from being wasted.
So that's why he believed there was a connection between light and sound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are so many famous smart people also sex weirds? Because it doesn't work the other way around I know that for sure.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Why are so many famous smart people also sex weirds? Because it doesn't work the other way around I know that for sure

Check out James Joyce lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally the only thing I know james joyce for is his ode to his wife's farts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

This is the one i saw, although it's only a small sample group. https://twitter.com/NAJ562/status/1398967788941742085
The typography on this is intensely triggering. Star Trek font (for some reason) on "I'm Backing" and then some bastardised half-cocked version of that font for "Beckett" :ssj:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Literally the only thing I know james joyce for is his ode to his wife's farts.
Also Ulysses, his ode to his own farts.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Don't ever look at Finnegan's Wake then.

Reader: "wtf, this is just nonsense gibberish."

Joyce: "Is it, though..?" :smugbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/beckettunite/status/1400779085270470657?s=21

Beckett's banter game is extremely powerful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Ulysses is really loving good

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Who is beckett and why should we care?

E. Fb good speech lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josef bugman posted:

I mean most of them refuse to accept basic reality. You copuld stab them in the chest saying that the reason you are doing so is because of them not being pure and Aryan enough and most would go "I bet this is because of foreigners"

Christ there are so many people at my own work I want to yell at about this.

And the people that insist that they were 100% informed and knew exactly what they were voting for and this is all fine actually.

Like, no, you didn't, none of us did. And that's fine, why are you so keen to insist you did rather than admit otherwise?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

The typography on this is intensely triggering. Star Trek font (for some reason) on "I'm Backing" and then some bastardised half-cocked version of that font for "Beckett" :ssj:

Will nobody rid me of this turbulent union representative?

- The Lamentable Tragedie of Sir Keir Starmer, Act IV Scene II

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

source: email from Business Wales.

no one has been following these weird rules

i mean people have been following their own rules based on their own perceptions of risk but no one has been avoiding groups of 30 because its illegal

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Borrovan posted:

Maybe if they put some of the hundreds of thousands of pounds they're losing into extra wages for pickers, more people would be willing to do it.

Just a thought.

Only a matter of time before they bring back workhouses for the sanctioned then hire them out to Wetherspoons etc.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Don't ever look at Finnegan's Wake then.

Reader: "wtf, this is just nonsense gibberish."

Joyce: "Is it, though..?" :smugbert:

“No you may not shake the hand that wrote Ulysses; you don’t know where it’s been.”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through Ulysses and some chapters are genuinely cool, especially once you get into a rhythm with the stream of consciousness style. Others bits (particularly the Stephen Dedalus POV sections, and yes yes I know that's the point and he's making fun of himself) are quite clearly just Joyce showing off though, because every single bloody line is some cryptic reference to a classical author or philosophical concept or some other niche topic, and you really need to kind of understand each bit to make the rest make sense. Unless you're some absurd polymath you're going to be looking up references every few lines, and that's even before you get to the fact large parts of it require you to have a working knowledge of latin and greek and half a dozen other languages and most of the chapters are extremely long. It's 100% worth reading but I would definitely recommend doing it alongside a companion book that summarises and explains each passage for you to avoid a heap of pain. I guess some people probably enjoy the challenge, but ugh I have other things I could be doing. I think the people who say Joyce just was just an arrogant self-declared big-brain rear end in a top hat who did a deliberately obtuse fart on a page and called it literature are being kinda uncharitable, but I sympathise with the frustration.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Ulysses and some chapters are genuinely cool, especially once you get into a rhythm with the stream of consciousness style. Others bits (particularly the Stephen Dedalus POV sections, and yes yes I know that's the point and he's making fun of himself) are quite clearly just Joyce showing off though, because every single bloody line is some cryptic reference to a classical author or philosophical concept or some other niche topic, and you really need to kind of understand each bit to make the rest make sense. Unless you're some absurd polymath you're going to be looking up references every few lines, and that's even before you get to the fact large parts of it require you to have a working knowledge of latin and greek and half a dozen other languages and most of the chapters are extremely long. It's 100% worth reading but I would definitely recommend doing it alongside a companion book that summarises and explains each passage for you to avoid a heap of pain. I guess some people probably enjoy the challenge, but ugh I have other things I could be doing. I think the people who say Joyce just was just an arrogant self-declared big-brain rear end in a top hat who did a deliberately obtuse fart on a page and called it literature are being kinda uncharitable, but I sympathise with the frustration.

It’s impossible to take Joyce seriously once you’ve read his pervy sex letters about sniffing Nora Barnacle’s farts

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

It’s impossible to take Joyce seriously once you’ve read his pervy sex letters about sniffing Nora Barnacle’s farts

10/10 username/post combo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

10/10 username/post combo

For those that haven’t. Enjoy…

https://allthatsinteresting.com/james-joyce-love-letters-nora-barnacle

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/beckettunite/status/1400752852356714497?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gats Akimbo posted:

Only a matter of time before they bring back workhouses for the sanctioned then hire them out to Wetherspoons etc.

They will never bring back workhouses. That would involve the state housing people.

Paupers can be housed at state expense via housing benefit if they give the money to private landlords. Otherwise they can be allowed to become homeless, unless they misbehave enough to go to prison where they may be forced to labour. Workhouses are redundant.