Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chill la Chill posted:

I haven’t done the new egg shuffle before but do you sign up for as many products as you want and can buy as many as you win or can you only buy one product (but enter for as many as you’d like) per shuffle?

You sign up to get a check mark in a few hours saying you don't get to buy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kunabomber posted:

You pronounce it "tai-teyneeuhm" not "tee-ai-teyneeuhm"

Wait seriously? I’ve actually never heard somebody say it out loud I guess. I always assumed it was pronounced “tit-tay-nee-um”.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait seriously? I’ve actually never heard somebody say it out loud I guess. I always assumed it was pronounced “tit-tay-nee-um”.

It depends which side of the pond you're on.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kunabomber posted:

You pronounce it "tai-teyneeuhm" not "tee-ai-teyneeuhm"

lol

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

King of Solomon posted:

You sign up to get a check mark in a few hours saying you don't get to buy anything.

*NO DOGS ALLOOOOWED*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Now that you can memory pool over NVLink with consumer cards a pair of 3090s can actually be really sweet for certain workloads. 48GB of fast memory for less than an A6000

[cackles in thai]

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

also it's been extremely amusing watching everyone realize it's pronounced tie and not tee aii

serious question: has anyone who didn't understand that actually watched an nvidia announcement in the last 5 years?

Yeah but that’s not really been the case. Here is the 2080 Ti announcement

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=193&v=m-hoDG0Lpa8

I mean they are really bad made up names anyway but Nvidia themselves have definitely not been consistent. Tee-Eye is slightly less dumb than Tye to me though, personally.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

I mean they are really bad made up names anyway but Nvidia themselves have definitely not been consistent. Tee-Eye is slightly less dumb than Tye to me though, personally.

vanishes in a puff of jensen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tbh why do they even still have “GeForce” in there with everything being RTX now. Seems like nows the time to just go to “Nvidia RTX 3080” and drop that poo poo outta there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It works as an overarching brand name for all their gaming products, since that now includes GeForce Experience and GeForce Now as well. Like their professional graphics cards like the Titan and Quadro don't have GeForce in the name but do still say RTX.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

gently caress the queen, we speak the right way

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nvidia Gee-forccé

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Puget Systems already did a system with four now-extinct Gigabyte blower 3090s and didn't need NVLink.

The system also sounded like a C-130 with all four turning on the tarmac.

Now I want to make a Convair B-36 Peacemaker themed PC with 6 fans and 4 GPUs.

Six turning, four burning

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
That's a soft G as in Ghee Force. Also RTX is pronounced like "rickets"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

E: read bad

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I never had a blower GPU. Are they really that loud? I have a blower fan I use around the house and it is much quieter than an axial box fan while moving considerably more air.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait till you try and investigate what GTX stands for!
I mean of course it means 'Game To the Xtreme!'

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

I never had a blower GPU. Are they really that loud? I have a blower fan I use around the house and it is much quieter than an axial box fan while moving considerably more air.

the issue with blower gpus is, blower is a single 60-80mm fan vs 2 or 3 120mm fans for open heatsinks. it has to spin way faster to move the same amount of air, and there's less space for the heatsink so it has to move more air

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Shifty Pony posted:

in a GPU context it means you have one fan doing the work that on other models is done by two or three, so yes, it needs to run much much faster and as such is louder. it's not the kind of fan technology it refers to how one fan blows through and over the PCB and vents out of the case.

e: beaten

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BLOWERS ARE TOO LOUD, I CAN BARELY HEAR THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBeCSaaDxA

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

Oh god it's about to take off

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The step up for the 3080 TI FTW3 ($1399.99) is up if anyone was considering hopping off the 3090 step up ship now that it seems slow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mysteryberto posted:

The step up for the 3080 TI FTW3 ($1399.99) is up if anyone was considering hopping off the 3090 step up ship now that it seems slow.

I was able to get in much much later in the day

Wondering how long the queue is at this point

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Finally in the auto notify queue for the 3080 TI; I don't think I could go with a non EVGA card after hearing about how amazing their support is so I skipped today's shuffle, and my only regret is that I didn't buy the extended warranty on my 3080 from them. I still have 6 weeks before I get my computer so if by some chance I get a notification I'm guessing I can sell my unopened 3080 for the $1400. If I don't get one I can roll with the non TI and do this all over again in four years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
two unrelated things I wanted to comment on:

1. GeForce Now lets you play Victoria 2 on it, but since that particular game doesn't support cloud saves, it doesn't actually work since you can never carry-over your saved games from session to the next. That's not really GFN's fault except that maybe don't let a game onto your platform when Paradox never programmed it to work properly within the context you're trying to use it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6vhg7iqPY

2. AMD's RX 6800M[obile], which is based on the same silicon as the RX 6700 XT for the desktop, is apparently quite good - punching over the RTX 3070 Mobile and usually right behind the RTX 3080 Mobile. However it seems AMD is still getting screwed over on OEM fuckery where the laptop that's getting shopped-around to reviewers has slow RAM and suffers a performance penalty from coursing the display through the iGPU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDER SON I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU OVER THE BLOWER. IT'S ACTUALLY QUITE LOUD.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Imagine a server room full of em.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Still though, it's the atomic symbol for Titanium. So unless people pronounce titanium as Tee-Eye-tanium... well, I guess some probably do, hah.

Edit: Realized this had actually been brought upon the prior page.

Hasturtium posted:

But again, when referring to elemental abbreviations or simple compounds, it's common practice to spell individual letters for clarification, like KCl as "kay cee ell." By the time this is all done it'll be at LEAST as dumb as how to pronounce GIF...

When I was taking materials science courses, spelling out the atomic symbol by the symbol letters, was only common for those elements whose symbols were not easily discerned from their current name, such as lead, silver, etc. Even then, most people preferred to just refer to the full name and not spell out the symbol.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 4, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SourKraut posted:

Still though, it's the atomic symbol for Titanium. So unless people pronounce titanium as Tee-Eye-tanium... well, I guess some probably do, hah.

In English, you don't pronounce the H for hydrogen as "huh" because thats how your start the word hydrogen. And going the other direction, you dont call lead Pblead. The abbreviation on the table of the elements (and the history behind them) doesn't necessarily tell you how to pronounce things in English.

And yeah, Nvidia themselves called it "Tee-Eye" for years, regardless of whatever the dumb marketing reason for it. Its not like it actually means anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, one of the incidentals for being a data center worker is pro-grade earpro. Even then I've heard the rates of tinnitus are off the charts.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Edit: Realized this had actually been brought upon the prior page.
When I was taking materials science courses, spelling out the atomic symbol by the symbol letters, was only common for those elements whose symbols were not easily discerned from their current name, such as lead, silver, etc. Even then, most people preferred to just refer to the full name and not spell out the symbol.

I would say that I'm team tee-eye but I did some work with titanium nitride thin-films a few years ago and always referred to it as "tie-nitride"

repiv posted:

Still quieter than a lab full of vacuum pumps that's for sure. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about buying expensive audio equipment. Hell, I can barely tell when my 3090's at 60% fan speed vs 20%

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Grumbles posted:

That's a soft G as in Ghee Force. Also RTX is pronounced like "rickets"

No, the X in RTX is like in "xmas". it's pronounced "Arty Christ"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if people want a second opinion on graphics card noise i'll happily volunteer to subject one of those 3090s to extensive testing

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I knew the chip shortage was bad but I didn't know it was "a new car may only ship with 1 key remote fob" bad

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

In English, you don't pronounce the H for hydrogen as "huh" because thats how your start the word hydrogen. And going the other direction, you dont call lead Pblead. The abbreviation on the table of the elements (and the history behind them) doesn't necessarily tell you how to pronounce things in English.

And yeah, Nvidia themselves called it "Tee-Eye" for years, regardless of whatever the dumb marketing reason for it. Its not like it actually means anything.

I wasn't referring to the inconsistencies for how nVidia pronounced, because there definitely have been inconsistencies. And sure, obviously the symbols don't always convey how it's pronounced, but we used titanium a lot in some of our research and everyone just says "Titanium" and not "Tee-eye" regardless of what non-elemental science goons want to call it.

But honestly... I don't really care, but calling it "Thai" if that's what someone wants to do, is fine. Just like if someone wants to call it a 3080 "Titanium".

Shipon posted:

I would say that I'm team tee-eye but I did some work with titanium nitride thin-films a few years ago and always referred to it as "tie-nitride"
Still quieter than a lab full of vacuum pumps that's for sure. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about buying expensive audio equipment. Hell, I can barely tell when my 3090's at 60% fan speed vs 20%

Yeah, me personally, I just call the cards as Tee-eye or Titanium myself. But I can see the reasoning for "Thai".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I see that one Microsoft error message dev found new work.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've always read it as in Spanish, like 'para ti' or something

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

Now I'm nostalgic for a time when a really good GPU went for less than $500 :(

Vintersorg posted:

Would probably sound like a server room, more or less.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I've always read it as in Spanish, like 'para ti' or something

yes, as in "for titanium"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/Freight_NI/status/1400478884752207881

This is not good - I wonder if it might lead to supply chain delays for GPUs/CPUs/etc.