Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

euphronius posted:

Police reports are generally not admissible evidence in civil accidents

That's interesting. Why? Wouldn't the police report that found that X driver failed to give way to Y be kind of a key part of the case? Or would that only be used if the police were pressing charges against one of the drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

That's interesting. Why? Wouldn't the police report that found that X driver failed to give way to Y be kind of a key part of the case? Or would that only be used if the police were pressing charges against one of the drivers?

It’s hearsay and states don’t like applying exceptions to them

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Update: according to the police witnesses at the scene say my father-in-law had a seizure while driving and drove into an intersection, causing the accident. Still unclear if anyone else was injured or what will happen from here.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

has he had seizures before.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

euphronius posted:

yea, if he has a history of them he should not have been driving.

Lobsterpillar posted:

they are poo poo evidence - a report from someone who showed up after the accident occurred, probably doesn't have accident reconstruction experience, and then decides which witness he finds more credible and which facts he thinks matters most. just a lot of problems with them

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Not that we are aware of.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lobsterpillar posted:

The police officer should testify in person about what he saw so he can be cross-examined.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EwokEntourage posted:

yea, if he has a history of them he should not have been driving.

That's not generally the law or supported by medical best practices.

Most people who have had seizures can completely control them with medications and are at no more risk of an accident than anyone else.

Assuming he either had had no prior seizures or that his seizures were controlled with medication up till now, in my state at least this would be a clsssic example of a no fault accident. My state isn't California though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lobsterpillar posted:

Cops get poo poo wrong and lie all the time and you can't cross examine a written statement. If you want the cop to testify, put them on the stand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cops don’t usually see anything tho

They come after the accident

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Possible how they find the accident scene which can be used in accident reconstruction

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

It’s hearsay and states don’t like applying exceptions to them

Unless the judge lets the public defender yell in front of the jury over and over that it's an inconsistent statement, at which point the prosecutor admits the whole drat thing under the context rule to let the jury figure it out. That's a fine plan until the court of appeals squawks about some unfairness to the prosecution simply following the path plowed by the idiot judge and admittedly very talented public defender (who was baiting the prosecutor to commit reversible error the whole time).

Why no that didn't happen to me why do you ask?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not generally the law or supported by medical best practices.

Most people who have had seizures can completely control them with medications and are at no more risk of an accident than anyone else.

Assuming he either had had no prior seizures or that his seizures were controlled with medication up till now, in my state at least this would be a clsssic example of a no fault accident. My state isn't California though.

That's a lot of "but"s.

If he's recently had seizures any doctor in my state would be pulling his drivers license license for a minimum of 6 to 12 months until it's been established that a cause has been remedied or that treatments are working long term.

This does not seem unreasonable to me.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

MOVIE LAW QUESTION:

Films show the prosecution/defense attorneys addressing the jury directly. Is a witness on the stand or the defendant on the stand allowed to directly address the jury?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SkunkDuster posted:

MOVIE LAW QUESTION:

Films show the prosecution/defense attorneys addressing the jury directly. Is a witness on the stand or the defendant on the stand allowed to directly address the jury?

Yes. That's a standard tactic.

If the witness is comfortable, like a homicide detective, you just lead out with "explain to the jury" questions.
"Explain to the jury the standard operating procedure for collecting evidence in a case like this."
"Explain to the jury how you collected this evidence, and how that was consistent with standard operating procedure."
"Explain to the jury standard operating procedure for packaging evidence up to send to the lab."
"Explain to the jury how you sent this evidence to the lab, and how that was consistent with standard operating procedure."
"Explain to the jury how you receive reports from the lab."

If the witness is more folky or chatty, like in an extraverted way, you can do this too.
"Tell the jury about what you saw that day."

If the lawyers address the jury in the middle of trial, the other side can be expected to object. Lawyers are not supposed to just deliver a speech. That's for opening and closing. Clever lawyers get around that, by talking to the judge (i.e. "speaking objections") and just launching into a speech that the jury can conveniently and coincidentally hear. Something like "Objection judge, this witness's testimony plainly contradicts the recording we played for the jury yesterday when the police officer was on the stand, when the witness told the police officer that the car was red. Now this witness has changed their story to the car being blue. I object." Now, that is not a real objection, that's just a speech delivered to the judge but in reality it's for the jury.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Motronic posted:

That's a lot of "but"s.

If he's recently had seizures any doctor in my state would be pulling his drivers license license for a minimum of 6 to 12 months until it's been established that a cause has been remedied or that treatments are working long term.

This does not seem unreasonable to me.

Yes, but if he'd recently had seizures the family would probably know about it (and his license would have likely already been pulled!)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Possible how they find the accident scene which can be used in accident reconstruction

Depends on how many points the cop put into visual calculus.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Lobsterpillar posted:

All the other people answered above, but comedian Mike Birbiglia had a great comedy routine awhile back where he discussed being in a accident where he was sitting completely at rest at a STOP sign and the resulting police report was a hilarious mess of contradictions which involved, amongst other things, him colliding with himself. He went down some kind of rabbit hole trying to get it fixed up until his wife basically told him to let it go and just eat the insurance costs.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Last winter I got "doored" while jogging in the bike lane. I got banged up pretty bad and couldn't exercise for several months, though no fractures. The owner of the store filed claim under his insurance and the letter the legal group sent me determines me to be at "50% fault" and a release for $250. The thing is the ED visit alone cost me approximately $600-700. Do I contact them and ask them to cover the total visit? I did not file a police report or speak to a lawyer. I live in IL.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Jogging in a bike lane sounds like an odd decision. Why weren't you on the footpath?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lobsterpillar posted:

Jogging in a bike lane sounds like an odd decision. Why weren't you on the footpath?

That's extremely common, if you jogged you'd know that asphalt is much more springy than concrete so it is less impact on your joints.

edit: I would have had a lawyer contest the 50% at fault thing. Drivers around here at 100% responsible to make sure they don't door a cyclist, and a jogger going full tilt can't be reasonably expected to dodge a sharp door edge whipped into their ribs when going at full tilt either. It's not that hard to look out the window first.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 30, 2021

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

That's extremely common, if you jogged you'd know that asphalt is much more springy than concrete so it is less impact on your joints.

edit: I would have had a lawyer contest the 50% at fault thing. Drivers around here at 100% responsible to make sure they don't door a cyclist, and a jogger going full tilt can't be reasonably expected to dodge a sharp door edge whipped into their ribs when going at full tilt either. It's not that hard to look out the window first.

Why would the store insurance be paying for a car door injury?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zauper posted:

Why would the store insurance be paying for a car door injury?

I assumed because the store owned the car? It was a company delivery car? Maybe if the car wasn't in motion, it was more of a "company property caused injury" thing and that's why they didn't use automotive insurance. IANAL

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Fair point, but where I live we asphalt our footpaths (roads are usually AC for busier ones or chipseal) and usually have substantial amounts of grass berms so there's not really much incentive to jog on the road.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Correct, it was from a a company vehicle during work hours. I was also running in jogging lane because there were people on the side walk and I wanted to social distance (this is pre vaccine days).

So do I tell them I would like more, or I will be speaking to a lawyer?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nervana posted:

Correct, it was from a a company vehicle during work hours. I was also running in jogging lane because there were people on the side walk and I wanted to social distance (this is pre vaccine days).

Speak to the lawyer first and have the lawyer tell their lawyer you want more.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So my mother is currently outside of the states but owns a home there. She has a property management company that takes care of the home and rents it out to people.

She's getting older and would like to put my name on the deed of the house so in case anything happens, or if she wants me to communicate directly with the property management company, I can do so.

She has a will in place already.

Is this something that we should hire a lawyer for or is it a more simple process?

I have a few other questions regarding the tax implications and what not but that's probably best suited in another thread.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can she not authorise you to talk to property managers on her behalf without your name being on the deed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

So my mother is currently outside of the states but owns a home there. She has a property management company that takes care of the home and rents it out to people.

She's getting older and would like to put my name on the deed of the house so in case anything happens, or if she wants me to communicate directly with the property management company, I can do so.

She has a will in place already.

Is this something that we should hire a lawyer for or is it a more simple process?

I have a few other questions regarding the tax implications and what not but that's probably best suited in another thread.

i am a lawyer, and i would not touch anything real-estate related without a real estate lawyer

you absolutely need a lawyer if you are touching a deed

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
State where the property is located? Probably wants to put it in trust or LLC, or even both

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

nervana posted:

if I got hosed up by a company's insured vehicle as a pedestrian, likely due to no fault of my own, to the extent that i had to go to the ER and couldn't exercise for "several months", i would be calling lawyers ASAP.

are you seriously considering a three-digit settlement?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Out of country Landlord mom will 100% need a lawyer to do a conveyance . She also needs estate planning

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Out of country Landlord mom will 100% need a lawyer to do a conveyance . She also needs estate planning

This is exactly right. There are tax consequences, and estate consequences to her transfer and ownership of the property to you.

It's not super expensive and absolutely worth the money. I call on the estate planning lawyer first, because they'll almost certainly be able to do what you need at the house.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is also the issue of who is signing the conveyance and where and witnessed by whom

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

This is exactly right. There are tax consequences, and estate consequences to her transfer and ownership of the property to you.

It's not super expensive and absolutely worth the money. I call on the estate planning lawyer first, because they'll almost certainly be able to do what you need at the house.

Transfer of realestate and estate planning are two very good examples of lawyers basically paying for themselves in time saved, headache saved, and about 10x in money saved.

Don't do that poo poo without a lawyer. Like 75% of my civil consults was someone loving up either one of these or both.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

I guess one of my coworkers got in a car accident on his 10 minute rest break (California) and now our employer is banning us from leaving the property if we're clocked in because they're liable for whatever happens. This seems federally legal but the CA Supreme Court states that rest breaks must be duty free. My employer doesn't have a good grasp of the law so I wanted to ask, is my job allowed to make this policy?

Edit: or is this something I should ask a local lawyer about

Overnight Blaze fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You’d want a wage and hour attorney that is local to you

You’d just search “wage and hour attorney” plus the relevant county

Maybe they’d talk to you for free. You can get a bunch of your work mates together and split the cost of an hour ($150) to get a clear answer (I often had this as an attorney)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You never know what other issues a lawyer finds out just by talking to them too . They are good at issue spotting (which is similar to reading the entrails of a sacrificed goat in the old days )

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

if I got hosed up by a company's insured vehicle as a pedestrian, likely due to no fault of my own, to the extent that i had to go to the ER and couldn't exercise for "several months", i would be calling lawyers ASAP.

are you seriously considering a three-digit settlement?

you really do bring up a good point I just didn't want to spend months dealing with this. I'll talk to the insurance company and see what they say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
$150 an hour? Woof that’s worse than insurance defense