Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Also the solstice is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KillHour posted:

Don't make me buy another car please.
The Solstice is free! That's why it's used, if I remember right it was the rookie road car before the MX-5.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ignore these lies.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Not an empty quote.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

They are still releasing mods for Grand Prix Legends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECnwZVED8g

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The oceans will boil away to nothing before people stop modding GPL.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-tgt2-leaks-20210614/

No idea how credible this is, just popped up in my google news feed, but apparently the new Thrustmaster wheel is going to be $750 and is NOT DD. Can't imagine this will be a popular wheel :hmmno:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Pretty sure that's more than I paid for the entire CSL Elite setup

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This thread 60 years in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXxIX6HiWE

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right I"ll finally have time to race

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That kinda came out of left field....

so they are now making the actual GT3 wheels for both the BMW M4 and the Bentley Continental? Impressive for an actually rather small company.

https://bentley.fanatec.com/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=Bentley

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fanatec is a pretty big company now, I don't think you can call yourself the little guys when you're able to get an F1 sponsorship and be the title sponsor of a racing series.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fwiw, it's not the wheel of the homologated gt3 car, its the wheel of the one off pikes peak car they're doing, and imo it looks like an ergonomic nightmare like all Bentley GT3 wheels have been

Can't wait for it to be $4,000

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m back on my button box bullshit

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My current issue is that since I switched to a triple monitor setup, I have nowhere to mount my button box, as the previous thing I set up won't work anymore. I'm going to have to rig up some bonkers thing out of scrap wood or something, or have someone fab a mounting bracket out of metal since 3d printing it won't be strong enough I expect. The one complaint I have about the Playseat Sensation Pro is that it really lacks attachment points for anything.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Yet another match-making service for Assetto Corsa: https://raceu.net/

This one is integrated with Content Manager. It's very sleek. I did one test race and it went well.

It looks like there are quite a few users in Brazil (I think the creator is Brazilian), so there should be a healthy number of users at America-friendly times.

My only worry is that with this, World Sim Series, and Sim Racing System, the number of racers will get spread a bit thin. Ideally they would merge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steen71 posted:

Yet another match-making service for Assetto Corsa: https://raceu.net/

This one is integrated with Content Manager. It's very sleek. I did one test race and it went well.

It looks like there are quite a few users in Brazil (I think the creator is Brazilian), so there should be a healthy number of users at America-friendly times.

My only worry is that with this, World Sim Series, and Sim Racing System, the number of racers will get spread a bit thin. Ideally they would merge.

Relatedly, AC is on sale right now on Steam for $3.99, and the Ultimate edition is $7.93.

I was about to buy the Ultimate edition, but my only option is to purchase as a gift, I'm guessing this means I already own it?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Relatedly, AC is on sale right now on Steam for $3.99, and the Ultimate edition is $7.93.

I was about to buy the Ultimate edition, but my only option is to purchase as a gift, I'm guessing this means I already own it?

Maybe? Check your library.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sometimes, if you own any content in a bundle edition, then you can't buy the bundle edition for yourself. This was the case when I bought theHunter Call of the Wild, loved it, it then was unable to buy any of the bundle editions because I already owned the base game, so I had to buy DLC separately. Kind of a bummer.

I haven't viewed AC on Steam to see if it's set up that way (lazily phone posting), but it's worth checking to see if that's the case.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m back on my button box bullshit

This is disturbing to even look at. If anything goes wrong with my rig I'm basically hosed, short of paying Fanatec to fix it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A microcontroller and some small copper wires is disturbing? Pretty basic electronics!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It becomes a lot more sensical when you appreciate that the little PCB interprets all those switches as button presses or on/off states and feeds them to your PC as gamepad inputs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s really just two wires per switch (3 wires for a couple of two way switches) and they just plug into the usb controller. Very simple despite the Medusa-like scene going on

It’s a Leo bodnar button box controller and it’s literally as plug and play as can be, it appears in windows as a joystick with 64 buttons and you just map them in your sim racing software of choice (or elite dangerous :spergin:)

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 8, 2021

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
The best part of making a button box is how easy it is but you still look and feel like you're doing some crazy poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

A microcontroller and some small copper wires is disturbing? Pretty basic electronics!

It looks confusing and messy, a microcontroller and small copper wires might as well be rocket science to someone who doesn't know jack about it, such as myself.

I did manage to replace the potentiometer in my brake pedal one time and was p proud of that

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Play posted:

It looks confusing and messy, a microcontroller and small copper wires might as well be rocket science to someone who doesn't know jack about it, such as myself.

I did manage to replace the potentiometer in my brake pedal one time and was p proud of that

Oh yeah this week I have to replace the pots in my pedals with the hall sensors I bought from that spain guy. I'll post how that goes in the thread.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Mine went pretty easy as long as you follow the directions in the video.

e: also I got a pile of boxes of fun today :retrogames:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not really that much simulation, but they've announced a new test Drive Unlimited, supposedly on an 1:1 recreation of Hong Kong Island. Hopefully its simulation mode, if there is one, has a semblance of realistic physics this time around. because the setting is decent, judging what I see on Google Earth. I'd really like some realistic(-ish) open world racer.

--edit:

quote:

and will run on WRC 8's framework and handling model.
Whatever the gently caress that means? Halp?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Mine went pretty easy as long as you follow the directions in the video.

e: also I got a pile of boxes of fun today :retrogames:

One of us. One of us. One of us.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not really that much simulation, but they've announced a new test Drive Unlimited, supposedly on an 1:1 recreation of Hong Kong Island. Hopefully its simulation mode, if there is one, has a semblance of realistic physics this time around. because the setting is decent, judging what I see on Google Earth. I'd really like some realistic(-ish) open world racer.

--edit:

Whatever the gently caress that means? Halp?
Dang this looks pretty cool. Horizon competition maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQ_m4Gjvqo

The shot & music @ 1:14 was neat.

That quote means it'll drive and handle similar to the game WRC 8. Never played it though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WRC 8 was the first one under the current devs (for now, I think EA have the licence after 2022), and was compared quite favourably to Dirt Rally so it's a solid foundation to build on.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

it'll be pretty hard to bungle it to the level of TDU2 but i'll definitely wait before getting it when it releases. at least every person i've seen talk about WRC's physics has been "they're alright" so that's already more promising than the last game

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

WRC 8 was the first one under the current devs (for now, I think EA have the licence after 2022), and was compared quite favourably to Dirt Rally so it's a solid foundation to build on.
Apparently WRC 7 was also done by the same developer. And by their own PR on Youtube, they did improve the physics engine a drat lot from 7 to 8. Meanwhile there's ongoing development, since they did a 9 and a 10 is coming.

If there's no huge controversy and poo poo-flinging about the physics (e.g. PCARS), while also seen as decent enough, I guess I'm mildly positive that the next TDU will be bearable, if there's a simulation option (--edit: at least better than Forza Horizon, anyway).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I really wish these casual racing games would think about adding VR support. The sim market is covered but sometimes I’d really just love to play Forza horizon or something in VR.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I really wish these casual racing games would think about adding VR support. The sim market is covered but sometimes I’d really just love to play Forza horizon or something in VR.

Where's the button that makes this post haunt the developers' dreams? I want an open world vr driving game without the janky bugs and horrific toxicity of Assetto Corsa's modding community.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
VR is a big feature to add for a userbase that doesn't want it in general

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Especially with consoles being a huge target for them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And also with how people don't really buy casual racing games that aren't Need For Speed or Forza Horizon.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Even aside from VR I always want a racing sim game that has a huge fantasy lean to it. I want to drive futuristic cars in insane neotokyo or similar environments but have it be modelled as seriously as real sims. like give me mario kart type of levels where I'm inverted, upside down, etc but make the physics make sense with the speed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Even aside from VR I always want a racing sim game that has a huge fantasy lean to it. I want to drive futuristic cars in insane neotokyo or similar environments but have it be modelled as seriously as real sims. like give me mario kart type of levels where I'm inverted, upside down, etc but make the physics make sense with the speed.

Any situation where you could theoretically drive upside down would either have a ridiculous amount of grip because of the magnets or fans holding you to the track or you would be going so fast you literally could not steer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

Any situation where you could theoretically drive upside down would either have a ridiculous amount of grip because of the magnets or fans holding you to the track or you would be going so fast you literally could not steer.

Well we drive games already where the cars produce more downforce than they weigh at speeds we drive. I know the games aren't coded as flexibly as to apply downforce in the orientation of the aero components (I expect that gravity is just increased to pull the car down relative to the earth to give the sensation of DF) but if the devs of F1 for example had an inverted section at the end of a straight you should be able to drive onto it.