Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1400006774158249989?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Canon is such a hilarious concept for Doctor Who, where the very rules of reality are re-written on a semi regular basis.

I remember when i was growing up, long after McCoy and long before the new series, I would hoover up any DW books, magazines VHS I could get my hands on. My local library had a book where someone had tried to create a chronology of the universe based on all the old Doctor Who episodes. Even my naive pre-teen self could see this was an absurd idea destined to be a contradictory mess.

On the contrary, a franchise like Doctor Who has a built in robustness to deal and accept seemingly contradictory events in stride. In a lot of fictional canons, sometimes there are just two events that couldn't have both happened in the same reality, whereas in Who, even if an explanation is not immediately provided, any apparent canon issue can be presumably resolved in an appropriate time-wimey way, if someone gets round to it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Khanstant posted:

On the contrary, a franchise like Doctor Who has a built in robustness to deal and accept seemingly contradictory events in stride. In a lot of fictional canons, sometimes there are just two events that couldn't have both happened in the same reality, whereas in Who, even if an explanation is not immediately provided, any apparent canon issue can be presumably resolved in an appropriate time-wimey way, if someone gets round to it.

Remember, on the very day the Second Doctor, Ben, Polly, and Jamie are investigating the kidnapping of young people at Gatwick Airport in London, London is under siege from The War Machines

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I've just walked to the gas station and back while there's a war on drugs ongoing in my country, so what?

edit: Really though, seems fine to me. There's infinity Doctors and I presume one of them eventually got around to making the War not happen as much as it once did, or maybe they made it happen later. Time's arrow is not straight, not an arrow, and it all makes perfect since when you zoom out far enough, which you can't.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm working my way through Doom Coalition, now I'm on the second boxset. Scenes From Her Life is absolutely fantastic, and the standout story so far.
Out of all the Doctors, I think McGann does anger/disgust/barely concealed rage the best - Colin Baker and McCoy coming a close second.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This might be old hat to others, but I got introduced to a machine-generated video/song mash-up website today so of course the very first thing I did was throw the original and most recent Doctor Who openings into it, because goddammit what else is the Internet for. The resulting mash-up is pretty uneven but there are some parts I really like, and it ends on a pretty high note I thought even if I did get a good laugh out of the eeriness of underlying shots of Susan and the 1st Doctor being contrasted with Jodie Whittaker reminding me to like and subscribe :allears:

Edit: It also let me create Boys: The TARDIS though sadly I couldn't find the original Tom Baker version I was looking for. And oh sweet Jesus I found out how Big Finish make their own intro themes :barf:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 3, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still prefer Jamie Robertson's Eighth Doctor theme to the David Arnold theme that they've been using for 20 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mIpHEPcZo

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Davros1 posted:

I still prefer Jamie Robertson's Eighth Doctor theme to the David Arnold theme that they've been using for 20 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mIpHEPcZo

I really like the David Arnold theme. Especially when the middle eight section kicks in for the end of a serial.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The BBC are prepping for Secret Santa already! :ohdearsass:

I love that Dalek Emperor bottle opener!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Robertson version is pretty good until it turns into a 70s cop-show theme toward the end. Always makes me want to say something out loud like A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Davros1 posted:

Remember, on the very day the Second Doctor, Ben, Polly, and Jamie are investigating the kidnapping of young people at Gatwick Airport in London, London is under siege from The War Machines

Holy poo poo there's a story idea - one in the visible background of another adventure where the later Doctor needs to actually keep out of the earlier continuity while solving the later problem. I'd love to see something where 13 and the gang are stomping around the 1980s English countryside with a purpose and then suddenly UNIT is around in full force, and then a bunch of armed knights run by, and Yaz is like "holy poo poo we need to investigate that!?" and the Doctor is like "no, we need to stay out of that one" and then a castle tower explodes violently in the background, with the Doctor perhaps using that timing to advance her own schemes elsewhere.

I don't think it would work as an audio drama though.

I don't know why I went with Battlefield as an example here. I guess because it is a fairly empty setting with obviously incongruous things happening, its own internal time fuckery, and large explosions in the background?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1400452242847637513?s=20

Kind of curious; the write up says that several familiar time travelers will show up, and during that video Q&A, Eccleston said the one actor he'd love to work with was David Troughton ...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/if_photographer/status/1400452484632436749?s=20

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1400452242847637513?s=20

Kind of curious; the write up says that several familiar time travelers will show up, and during that video Q&A, Eccleston said the one actor he'd love to work with was David Troughton ...

It'll be the Eleven.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I should definitely watch The Dæmons one day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

At least she lived a long life, and (judging by those pics) aged very well. RIP.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanWFA/status/1400543074410012679?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I should definitely watch The Dæmons one day.

I just picked up the bluray set for 3 with that one. It's one of my favorite Pertwee's ever and I don't care (or deeply love) that it's just unashamedly ripping off Quatermass, definitely gonna catch up on that again this weekend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I just picked up the bluray set for 3 with that one. It's one of my favorite Pertwee's ever and I don't care (or deeply love) that it's just unashamedly ripping off Quatermass, definitely gonna catch up on that again this weekend.

Oh yeah! I got that one recently too! That’s getting a view this weekend then!

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
There must be something in the water, I picked up a second hand DVD of The Daemons last week.

I also got the Talons of Weng Chiang and started watching that first though. Goddamn it 70s BBC, you couldn't find a Chinese actor?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

There must be something in the water, I picked up a second hand DVD of The Daemons last week.

I also got the Talons of Weng Chiang and started watching that first though. Goddamn it 70s BBC, you couldn't find a Chinese actor?

It’s not like Burt Kwouk wasn’t already a known name to the BBC. A quick phone call would have got him.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

The_Doctor posted:

It’s not like Burt Kwouk wasn’t already a known name to the BBC. A quick phone call would have got him.

There's actual Chinese actors in the serial, the Yellowface was a conscious choice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Being generous, there was a 19th century magician who pretended to be chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chung_Ling_Soo

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'd hoped that's where the story was leading but nope, Chen recounts how he was a peasant in China.

Pretty fun episode though.
"What do they call the tribe of this area?"
"Cockneys :D"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Christ, was an embarrassment for everyone involved. From the people who were surprised he wasn't Chinese, somehow, to his garbage parents for making a poo poo son and then also just accepting all his abandoned children and marriage in stride, to the guy this rear end in a top hat ripped off but somehow ended up embarrassing the OG anyway. What a disaster. Imo everyone from the 19th century sucked.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
God, Stranded is good. Very impressed with BF right now.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1400799628187123713

Thirteen and Missy, with the fam conveniently getting sidelined for hopefully most of the story?

Yes please

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"While investigating a strange energy in Carbury,"

Battlefield references! :toot:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1400799628187123713

Thirteen and Missy, with the fam conveniently getting sidelined for hopefully most of the story?

Yes please

I'm so insanely into this.

I don't know why I like EU Missy so much, but I just do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love the Doctor in armour! You know, for someone who goes on such diverse and fantastic adventures, we almost never get to see the Doctor dress up. Honestly, come to think of it, the fact the Doctor dresses cartoon-style, same outfit forever, is pretty weird. Master doesn't seem to have the same wardrobe dedication. Do other Timelords? Do most of them just like, always wear the wizard garb 24/7? Does the Doctor sleep? If so, are they undressing and putting on the same dirty clothes every morning?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Missy and 13 is definitely a combination I would love to see on TV. Just... maybe not as written by Chibnall :sigh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Catching up with the thread.

It makes me so sad how defeated most of us are about this era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean to be fair, a big part of the issue is that there is so long between seasons and less episodes when we do get them, so there is a lot of downtime for problems and issues to percolate when in the past new episodes might undercut or dampen that. An undeniably giant part of that is the pandemic of course, but even before that we were seeing long stretches between seasons and less episodes.

It seems likely that scheduling issues over the last few years before Chibnall weren't as much the fault of Moffat not being a good showrunner as some people had claimed and more a BBC issue. Though I'm sure some of Moffat's weird attitudes played a part too.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 5, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Catching up with the thread.

It makes me so sad how defeated most of us are about this era.

This current era just has Missed Opportunity written all over it and for once it’s actually primarily the showrunner’s fault. Chibnall is just so... dull. I can’t even think of a more creative way to explain it, everything about his tenure thus far just welcomes apathy and ambivalence because he’s dead-set on this weirdly grounded and low-key tone for all his stories.

Even the few times when the show’s gotten kinda weird with a story it’s still been this “low-budget indie minimalist sci-fi movie” kind of vibe. Which, don’t get me wrong, I dig 90% of the time, but it just feels wrong for Doctor Who. We’ve gotten two(!) strange and unique episodes out of 13’s run and only one of them was any good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Started watching The Daemons again and God I forgot how much I loved the UNIT family dynamic once they got settled a bit deeper into the characters. Also yeah big surprise but Roger Delgado was so great as The Master. The flickers of annoyance and barely restrained urge to backhand humans when he fails to hypnotize them or they talk back to him always cracks me up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

I mean to be fair, a big part of the issue is that there is so long between seasons and less episodes when we do get them, so there is a lot of downtime for problems and issues to percolate when in the past new episodes might undercut or dampen that. An undeniably giant part of that is the pandemic of course, but even before that we were seeing long stretches between seasons and less episodes.

Let the record state that I hated the Chibnall era by the fourth episode. I found it funny, actually, how quickly things took a turn; the general vibe of the thread after Series 11 seemed to be that it was so-so with a few standouts, and that generally persisted until the end of Series 12 when things just dropped off a cliff.

Jerusalem posted:

It seems likely that scheduling issues over the last few years before Chibnall weren't as much the fault of Moffat not being a good showrunner as some people had claimed and more a BBC issue. Though I'm sure some of Moffat's weird attitudes played a part too.

There's a couple factors to this I'd wager. The first is that RTD is a workaholic who forced four consecutive series out through sheer force of will. The second are jumps in production quality (and consequently expense). Everybody knows that Chibnall Who looks, on the surface, a lot better than previous series, it's aping the look of prestige television. But there was a similar leap at the beginning of the Moffat era (and I'd argue a smaller one for Series 10). Go back to a Tennant episode, even one of the couple they shot in HD, and it looks totally different than something fro Series 5 or 6, which looks totally different from Series 10.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even the few times when the show’s gotten kinda weird with a story it’s still been this “low-budget indie minimalist sci-fi movie” kind of vibe. Which, don’t get me wrong, I dig 90% of the time, but it just feels wrong for Doctor Who. We’ve gotten two(!) strange and unique episodes out of 13’s run and only one of them was any good.

I’m assuming ‘It Takes You Away’ because yes, it’s like if A24 did a Who episode.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much that and the Witchfinders, which was a lost RTD-era historical

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m assuming ‘It Takes You Away’ because yes, it’s like if A24 did a Who episode.

Yup. It’s still easily the best episode of 13’s run thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mameluke posted:

Pretty much that and the Witchfinders, which was a lost RTD-era historical

The Witchfinders was pretty good until the witches showed up. After that it did a speedrun to the finish.