Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Squibsy posted:

I thought Red Dwarf was a bit pants and it mystifies me that it has such lasting appeal.

Yeah it's very gentle, cheesy comedy. I enjoyed it well enough years ago but I'm amazed it's still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it was just seasons 3 onward, I'd probably agree. The first two seasons really hit me though, because they're such an unusual bit of sci-fi. I don't even think of them primarily as comedic, though comedy was obviously a large part of them. The whole setup of a single lone human stranded millions of light years and millions of actual years from Earth, with nothing but an overgrown cat, his computer and a hologram of a guy he despised to keep him company is fantastic though. No aliens, almost no new guests cast members week to week beyond flashbacks to his life before the apocalyptic event that forms the basis of the show, mostly mundane situations as he comes to grips with his new status quo etc. It's pretty singular as a concept, and it's pulled off really well both dramatically and comedically.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Squibsy posted:

I thought Red Dwarf was a bit pants and it mystifies me that it has such lasting appeal.

For sort of the same reason as tsob I absolutely love it.

Also it's a black liverpudlian as the main character of a show filmed in Manchester which means a lot honestly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I remember when I watched the first season that I was shocked how long it took for Cat to actually interact with Lister, or even for Lister or Rimmer to notice that he existed. He spends the majority of the first season off doing his own thing, just wandering through shots occasionally as he does so on the sidelines of Lister's story. It helps emphasize how alien and selfish he is, that he doesn't even try to communicate with them or share scenes with them. As well as makes him mirror Lister, as basically his own thing almost alone in the ship and story despite other people being so close. Wikipedia episode descriptions make it sound like it's the 4th episode of the first season before he meaningfully interacts with Lister or Rimmer, which means that of the 4 permanent cast members at the time, one of them was essentially part of his own story for half the season. Which is a really bold narrative choice I don't know that you could get away with today; or at least on a larger budget.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I will say that for such a cheap show it really does nail the atmosphere it's going for in the early seasons. It feels lonely as all hell.

I think it fell apart for me when they started to find other civilisations and people to interact with - what's even the point at that stage?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I do think the show still has good comedy chops after season two, but I don't think it's nearly as engrossing personally. That said, the opening of season 3 is still probably one of my favourite comedy beats ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDkGnyDv9o

Lister and Cat discussing Wilma Flintstone is a great example of the show making comedy out of just how isolated they are, and how they're going a bit loopy without it ever becoming surreal like Rimmer making a glove puppet dictator to enforce quarantine rules. The punchline is a great cap to the conversation too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It was in the right place at the right time.
Sci-fi was getting a resurgence with Star Trek TNG starting at the same time, Blackadder showed you could do UK comedies in strange places that wasnt standard family house sitcoms that were the standard.
Was looking up the stats of the most watched comedy that year, Bread was the highest with 20 million. 16th of all time!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i 'ate you butlaaaah!!! :bahgawd:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Tonight's Alan is the last one in the series isn't it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

happyhippy posted:

It was in the right place at the right time.
Sci-fi was getting a resurgence with Star Trek TNG starting at the same time, Blackadder showed you could do UK comedies in strange places that wasnt standard family house sitcoms that were the standard.
Was looking up the stats of the most watched comedy that year, Bread was the highest with 20 million. 16th of all time!

Bread had the advantage of being on one of the only channels that existed, at prime time and it'd been on for a while.

God TV is so different now, it's wild. That sorta shared cultural touchstone doesn't exist I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Game of Thrones was that shared cultural touchstone for a lot of people only a few years ago. The Marvel movies are still that touchstone for a lot of people now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

crispix posted:

Tonight's Alan is the last one in the series isn't it?

Think so. I would imagine/hope that there's some fallout from his weekend away with the make-up lady.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

tsob posted:

Game of Thrones was that shared cultural touchstone for a lot of people only a few years ago. The Marvel movies are still that touchstone for a lot of people now.
Now it's baking cakes in a tent.

Edit: they've just started filming the studio bits of Taskmaster NZ according to Twitter/Reddit.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Taear posted:

Also it's a black liverpudlian as the main character of a show filmed in Manchester which means a lot honestly.

Very good point. I was musing on this yesterday after making my post.

tsob posted:

I remember when I watched the first season that I was shocked how long it took for Cat to actually interact with Lister, or even for Lister or Rimmer to notice that he existed. He spends the majority of the first season off doing his own thing, just wandering through shots occasionally as he does so on the sidelines of Lister's story. It helps emphasize how alien and selfish he is, that he doesn't even try to communicate with them or share scenes with them. As well as makes him mirror Lister, as basically his own thing almost alone in the ship and story despite other people being so close. Wikipedia episode descriptions make it sound like it's the 4th episode of the first season before he meaningfully interacts with Lister or Rimmer, which means that of the 4 permanent cast members at the time, one of them was essentially part of his own story for half the season. Which is a really bold narrative choice I don't know that you could get away with today; or at least on a larger budget.

I also like how doing his own thing on the periphery is a very catlike trait. So yeah, that's pretty cool.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Red Dwarf reminds me of being a kid but I don't actually like it that much, definitely one of the best tv theme tunes ever though, if not the best.

edit: tongue tied is good too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mickolution posted:

Think so. I would imagine/hope that there's some fallout from his weekend away with the make-up lady.

I'm expecting something like or something with the eyeliner he didn't give back

also looking forward to seeing what happens with princess anne

Unless something spectacular happens tonight it looks like the first series was stronger but I'm guessing a factor this time, on this time, might have been constraints on what they could do because of covid

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 4, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

crispix posted:

also looking forward to seeing what happens with princess anne

Ohh yeah, I had forgotten about that. That will be the main focus. Could see it being similar to Roger Moore in KMKY.

crispix posted:

Unless something spectacular happens tonight it looks like the first series was stronger but I'm guessing a factor this time, on this time, might have been constraints on what they could do because of covid

They're probably on a par for me. Some stuff didn't work, but most did. The segments with Ruth, while funny, are the same joke every time.

I think they have exhausted the format now, though. Would be surprised if he doesn't gently caress something up horribly in tonight's episode. Hopefully we get something like I'm Alan Partridge next, similar to how it followed KMKY. There was also talk somewhere after the first series that he was going to do some sort of history documentary, like the battle bit in S1. Not sure if that just got scrapped or was to do with Covid, but could be great. I loved the one off documentaries they did on Sky.

That being said, I'd happily watch another series of This Time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eleven extra elephants posted:

Red Dwarf reminds me of being a kid but I don't actually like it that much, definitely one of the best tv theme tunes ever though, if not the best.

edit: tongue tied is good too

When the Dwarfers did a local convention, I got to have my beloved Tongue Tied 7" signed by them. Probably one of the best gag tie in tracks for sure, even if I think listening to it now might shatter that illusion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EL BROMANCE posted:

When the Dwarfers did a local convention, I got to have my beloved Tongue Tied 7" signed by them. Probably one of the best gag tie in tracks for sure, even if I think listening to it now might shatter that illusion.

I literally listened to it yesterday on a whim (It's on Apple Music!), and it's still pretty good.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mickolution posted:

Ohh yeah, I had forgotten about that. That will be the main focus. Could see it being similar to Roger Moore in KMKY.
They're probably on a par for me. Some stuff didn't work, but most did. The segments with Ruth, while funny, are the same joke every time.

I think they have exhausted the format now, though. Would be surprised if he doesn't gently caress something up horribly in tonight's episode. Hopefully we get something like I'm Alan Partridge next, similar to how it followed KMKY. There was also talk somewhere after the first series that he was going to do some sort of history documentary, like the battle bit in S1. Not sure if that just got scrapped or was to do with Covid, but could be great. I loved the one off documentaries they did on Sky.

That being said, I'd happily watch another series of This Time.

I thought the same things about KMKY - Roger Moore (RIP) and how IAP followed KMKYWAP. The thing I loved about the first series of This Time was how many tiny references to older Alan stuff were in every episode, and this time I haven't picked up on so many. I may have just missed stuff though. A friend who loved IAP back in the day wasn't so keen on This Time and I recommended they watch Mid Morning Matters because it bridges the gap between older Alan stuff and the way he is now, and so much stuff from it is referenced

I do wonder how many people who for whatever reason don't know about Alan Partridge are sitting at home of a Friday evening watching This Time at face value

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
There might be a strongly worded letter sent in from one such to the BBC and read out on Points of View, but I just can't bring myself to watch that

I just can't.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Danny John-Jules was one of my favourite people when I was a kid. Red Dwarf, Maid Marian, and he was in the original cast of Starlight Express, a completely insane Webber musical about toy trains that I adored when I was 12. Some of the songs in Maid Marian were great. I wonder if it holds up at all. I got to meet Mark Billingham a few years ago when he visited the bookshop I worked at and he was very charming and chatty and pleasant and happy to talk about the dumb kids' comedy he was on years before.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I don't know what half the posts the last couple of pages are about.
Red Dwarf ended after 6 seasons when the whole crew were killed by their future selves.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

crispix posted:

A friend who loved IAP back in the day wasn't so keen on This Time and I recommended they watch Mid Morning Matters because it bridges the gap between older Alan stuff and the way he is now, and so much stuff from it is referenced

Absolutely. The two books too, especially the first one. Hearing his version of events that we have seen is amazing.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Oasthouse is probably the best Alan related thing since the glory days tbh

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, that was fantastic too. I flew through it when it came out and always forget loads when I do that. Must give it another listen.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, that was fantastic too. I flew through it when it came out and always forget loads when I do that. Must give it another listen.

Oh yeah it's incredibly dense with jokes and references, I also sped through but I bet I could get another two listens out of the stuff I missed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

I don't know what half the posts the last couple of pages are about.
Red Dwarf ended after 6 seasons when the whole crew were killed by their future selves.

I sort of agree, but I like the Dave ones, they are watchable. The set design is amazingly better.
And some of the episodes are well written.
Series 8-9 should be a crime. Coronation Street! What were they thinking.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Some of the songs in Maid Marian were great. I wonder if it holds up at all. I got to meet Mark Billingham a few years ago when he visited the bookshop I worked at and he was very charming and chatty and pleasant and happy to talk about the dumb kids' comedy he was on years before.

If you've watched Horrible Histories at all, Maid Marian still has that same "it's a kid's show that parents can get enjoyment out of" feel to it. You'll be as happy as a policeman with two truncheons!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Trin Tragula posted:

If you've watched Horrible Histories at all, Maid Marian still has that same "it's a kid's show that parents can get enjoyment out of" feel to it. You'll be as happy as a policeman with two truncheons!
Iirc Horrible Histories is sadly bad now that the original cast moved on to other stuff.

I watched their Shakespeare movie and it was okay. Never watched Yonderland, but I'm sure this thread is familiar with Ghosts which feels like a smart way to incorporate their strengths at playing historical characters in a more adult sitcom.

For a while though I would have recomended Horrible Histories to adults for the songs alone, they were incredible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tsob posted:

A ton fewer people have seen these things. Honestly, it's not comparable.

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc Horrible Histories is sadly bad now that the original cast moved on to other stuff.

I watched their Shakespeare movie and it was okay. Never watched Yonderland, but I'm sure this thread is familiar with Ghosts which feels like a smart way to incorporate their strengths at playing historical characters in a more adult sitcom.

Yonderland is awesome and well worth a watch

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Taear posted:

A ton fewer people have seen these things. Honestly, it's not comparable.
Yonderland is awesome and well worth a watch

Seriously? :raise:

Avengers is one of the most profitable films of all time, and even if every person who saw Avengers paid $20 on average to do so (and it's probably less), then at least 76 million people would have seen it. Bread had 20 million viewers for it's highest rating that year, according to the post above. Not every Marvel movie makes Avengers money, but even the smaller ones probably have comparable viewership; especially if you count home media and streaming numbers.

Also, Game of Thrones apparently had 26 million viewers on average for it's 6th season, and the numbers were in the 10 million+ range for every season after the 3rd so far as I know.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 5, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Okay, the ending of This Time absolutely did nail it, it was great. Excited to see whatever Alan we're getting next.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They’re definitely segueing into Alan doing Noel’s HQ next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShH--nZ-Yw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm hopping mad and I want something in the middle!

Really enjoyed how they incorporated the podcast 'lore' into this episode. The oast house, the dog, the children's book. If you haven't listened to the podcast yet, can't recommend it enough.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

For a while though I would have recomended Horrible Histories to adults for the songs alone, they were incredible.

I sometimes spontaneously crack up thinking about their Adam Ant parody for their Dick Turpin song. Sometimes you dont need to think outside the box, the obvious gag is the best gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYU-vSh7ORA

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tsob posted:

Seriously? :raise:

Avengers is one of the most profitable films of all time, and even if every person who saw Avengers paid $20 on average to do so (and it's probably less), then at least 76 million people would have seen it. Bread had 20 million viewers for it's highest rating that year, according to the post above. Not every Marvel movie makes Avengers money, but even the smaller ones probably have comparable viewership; especially if you count home media and streaming numbers.

Also, Game of Thrones apparently had 26 million viewers on average for it's 6th season, and the numbers were in the 10 million+ range for every season after the 3rd so far as I know.

You're comparing global figures with UK figures, more than a third of the UK population at the time was watching Bread live each week, which is the sort of viewership level that not even top sport competitions get any more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tsob posted:

maybe in america? Nothing has that many viewers here.
It had about 2, I mean it's on Sky.

Not talking about the films you mentioned, just GoT. Like Ookii said - every single household in the country was sitting down to watch bread. I feel like maybe Big Brother is the last thing the UK had where it felt quite that way outside of a few sporting things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
How much of my memory is dedicated to TV theme tunes from my youth. Especially sitcom themes! Reading this talk of Bread has sparked some kind of ancient concert in my brain.

Gotta get up, gotta get out, grab the world by the throat and shout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're comparing global figures with UK figures, more than a third of the UK population at the time was watching Bread live each week, which is the sort of viewership level that not even top sport competitions get any more.

There is no meaningful difference to the individual whether the millions of other people aware of, watching and/or discussing a thing alongside them are contained within a nation or the planet; especially when a lot of that discussion takes place online on spaces like this or Twitter where nationality has no relevance to the topic. What does it matter to the average person if those millions were in China, America, India etc. rather than Birminghim, Liverpool etc. if they live in Cornwall? They're still never going to see or meet the vast majority of them either way, but if they did they'd have a common thing to speak about either way. Which is all a cultural touchstone is.

Taear posted:

maybe in america? Nothing has that many viewers here.
It had about 2, I mean it's on Sky.

Not talking about the films you mentioned, just GoT. Like Ookii said - every single household in the country was sitting down to watch bread. I feel like maybe Big Brother is the last thing the UK had where it felt quite that way outside of a few sporting things.

I believe the 10 million plus figures are worldwide, rather than any specific nation. It did still have 5 or 10 million viewers a season most of the time in the US, but the population there is also into the hundreds of millions. It's kind of irrelevant as far as I can tell though, as above.