Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. I think that’s where she first saw it so I was a bit skeptical of it.

It could be any number of things that caused it but she can be a bit of a self admitted hypochondriac so I’m trying to “help” lol.

I know 4 women personally that haven't had any weirdness with their periods and being vaccinated. Two are older, two are younger. Minor anecdote but hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The covid outbreak in Melbourne Australia that has forced a city of 5 million people into 2 weeks of lockdown just took a weird turn - genomic sequencing has shown that all the known cases so far have been the kappa B.1.617.1 Indian variant but we just identified 4 cases of the delta B.1.617.2 variant, which we previously hadn't seen in this country at all so far. We didn't even find it in any of the detected cases in hotel quarantine so it's a bit of a mystery how they caught it
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-04/victoria-records-new-covid-cases-as-lockdown-enters-second-week/100189970

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

MarcusSA posted:

This might seem a little weird but I’ll ask anyway.

My wife was talking to me about women reporting irregularities in their period after the shot and now she’s reporting the same ( it’s super early when it’s normally with in a few days). Is there any real data on this?

Oh I'm interested. Aside from my whole body hurting,like every joint and muscle, I got a sudden constant bad menstrual cramp. Whole afternoon lying down holding my stomach. Ugh. There's still like two weeks and a half for the bloody period.

I think I'm starting to feel better now. Cramp is gone and I can lift my arm. I'm still having that sensation like when you get the flu and are about to get a fever. Uh, I also got VERY thirsty.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
goons probably have a disproportionately high incidence of side effects because of being out of shape alcoholics and also the goon psyche increasing the chance of nocebo

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
beaten

We have never closed our schools for more than deep cleaning here. A variant which spreads more easily among children and makes them sicker has the potential to cause chaos. We also don't have a plan to immunised children, let alone the vaccine to do it.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 4, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

feelix posted:

goons probably have a disproportionately high incidence of side effects because of being out of shape alcoholics and also the goon psyche increasing the chance of nocebo

Maybe. Or maybe it has to do with the ovaryan cyst I have.
And getting the same mosquito borne illness twice in the span of five years.

:v: Body is wrecked lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

beaten

We have never closed our schools for more than deep cleaning here. A variant which spreads more easily among children and makes them sicker has the potential to cause chaos. We also don't have a plan to immunised children, let alone the vaccine to do it.

Melbourne closed down the schools for the lockdowns
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-02/what-is-going-on-in-victorian-schools-on-friday/100185124

The PM was not happy about that yesterday, he kept harping on about it during the press conference

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think arguments about the effectiveness of the CDC surprise lifting the mask mandate are hopelessly muddied by significant regional variation in mask-wearing before and after the CDC bombshell.

Around here it has made no practical difference - stores are still requiring masks, and 99% of people are still wearing masks. The fact our infection numbers have remained about the same is hardly surprising, because the community response was to ignore the CDC.

Places that were already ignoring mask mandates are similarly going to be showing similar infection rates.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Place your bets on whether the delta variant arrived here via diplomatic, airline, or maritime employees.

The major general who was in charge of Operation Sovereign Borders is now in charge of logistics for the vaccine rollout. lol

Lolie fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 4, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Delta cases have risen to 7.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
loling that the World Health Organization didn’t consider that “delta” is common scientific shorthand for “change of” and strike it from the list

If we get get to twenty‐three variants of concern, we’re beyond caring that we “wasted” a letter up front.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Got round 2 of Moderna on Tuesday afternoon. Was pretty tired in the evening and Wednesday basically what felt like a medium hangover and I couldn't focus on anything, really. Thursday I felt more or less fine until the evening when my lymph nodes swelled up. This is pretty common for me when I get sick, especially if I'm going to have a fever. I'm also a bit dizzy, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Better than Covid, that's for sure!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Got round 2 of Moderna on Tuesday afternoon. Was pretty tired in the evening and Wednesday basically what felt like a medium hangover and I couldn't focus on anything, really. Thursday I felt more or less fine until the evening when my lymph nodes swelled up. This is pretty common for me when I get sick, especially if I'm going to have a fever. I'm also a bit dizzy, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Better than Covid, that's for sure!

I got Moderna vaxxed on Tuesday too. Birthday shots wooo! Felt fine that night, woke up with a sore arm, slight body aches and kind of a dumb head, felt more and more kind of hungover as the day went on and had developed a slight fever by the end of the day. Woke up Thursday still feeling achey and dumber than usual but after lunch (so almost exactly 48 hours after the shot) I suddenly felt like everything was in focus again and was back to my normal levels of stupidity and laziness.

Best part of Thursday was going to the cantonal vaccination registration page and seeing this...

(You have been successfully vaccinated)

... along with a pdf version of the confirmation letter I got from the center. I've got friends who did it through their doctors and they're not sure if they're in the system or how to check. I feel pretty confident that once our version of the vaccine passport comes out, my data will be in it and be correct and I'll be able to do cool things like leave the loving country!!!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Also the case numbers have finally started falling to something that doesn't fill me with dread here, only 588 new cases recorded yesterday and our 14-day total is the lowest it's been since September, despite loosening restrictions about 10 days ago:

We're at about 35% of people having one dose and 20% being fully vaccinated so hopefully that keeps going up. People are pretty eager, I think, because of the planned implementation of some kind of vaccine passport by the EU that will excuse you from getting brain stabs done within 48 hours of trying to cross a border or get on a plane.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

I should have said, recently quoted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/K_G_Andersen/status/1399852467873927173

Have you read the paper, and considered the validity of the "take down"? Have you considered the author? Did you know Nicolas Wade has been publicly denounced before by the very scientists and others who he has based his work on? 143 publishing scientists refuting his book wherein he describes a genetic and racial basis for social behaviour and class..

If you are fond of that article, fine. I have no idea how you think he discredits it.

I don't know what the gbs thread thinks of TWIV but there is an excellent episode from three days ago that discusses origin theories and evidence for and against.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-762/

I would encourage you to see what all the quoted scientists and their peers think of the origin being deliberate manipulation.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for replying. Reading your last post, I wasn't sure if you had read the Wade article - if you read your post again you'll probably see what I mean. But I realize now you've studied this more than me so bear with me.

For someone who has no idea who is who in the world of virologists, I couldn't care less what the other researchers think about that Wade guy. But doesn't he bring up a few valid points about conflicts of interest? Like, if Daszak is a beneficiary of a grant from the NIH, which he was responsible for distributing to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, why would anyone take him as a neutral voice of science when he refutes the lab origin theory? Why the hell is he on the WHO committee that investigates the virus origins, if one of the two leading theories is that he financed the work that originated the virus?

I'm open to the possibility that Wade is lying through his teeth here, I don't know the guy, but that kind of information at least needs to be refuted or defended.

On the one hand, gently caress people who think class can be justified by genetics. On the other hand, even an idiot can be right once in a while.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lolie posted:

We also don't have a plan to immunised children, let alone the vaccine to do it.

Dude, nobody has that except maybe Israel. Almost everyone in the world is still worse off than your country, but good luck anyway!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 4, 2021

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bollig posted:

This is actually pretty surprising to hear for me. I waited to get Moderna specifically because I just got through 6 months straight of lymph infections and a surgery because of it (after getting denied treatment by 3 different surgeons. :911::patriot:) I researched (googled) the different shots. And I kept seeing Phizer had alot of cases where it caused lymph problems.

I got my second shot on the 1st. The day after, my head felt like an iron plate was being pressed down on it all day and night, and I got really dizzy. And that night, my entire body was burning up. Like, to the point where me laying on my sheets made them feel like they were in the dryer for hours, even though there was a ceiling fan on high right above it the whole time. But after that, I was fine. It went away over night. I didn't have any new lymph issues at all. And my previously existing thing is still continuing to heal itself. So it must just be a case by case thing.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
since this thread is full of detailed vaccine side effect nightmares i'll just chime in and say I and everyone i know who got the vaccine (pfizer and az) did not have side effects worth mentioning. maybe a sore arm

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

since this thread is full of detailed vaccine side effect nightmares i'll just chime in and say I and everyone i know who got the vaccine (pfizer and az) did not have side effects worth mentioning. maybe a sore arm

Yeah, my mom only felt slighty tired, one of my sisters had the "sleeping all day" side effect along with the sore arms.

I got the "my whole body hurts, I'm out energy gently caress the world" side effect. But know Im feeling okay! I can lift my arm!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

My wife also just had a sore arm. I felt flu-ish for like a half-day but that's it. It was minor enough that I could still mow the lawn.

Today we're both 2-weeks post-2 shots, so that's something to be happy about. :gbsmith:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Harveygod posted:

My wife also just had a sore arm. I felt flu-ish for like a half-day but that's it. It was minor enough that I could still mow the lawn.

Today we're both 2-weeks post-2 shots, so that's something to be happy about. :gbsmith:

the arm in that picture is CAUSING the soreness

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1400848457687089152

:woop: Good news Astra Zeneca crew! :woop:

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
That seems to be better news for Pfizer crew

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

loling that the World Health Organization didn’t consider that “delta” is common scientific shorthand for “change of” and strike it from the list

If we get get to twenty‐three variants of concern, we’re beyond caring that we “wasted” a letter up front.

wasnt there a hurricane delta a few years ago?

also context clues are a thing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Big City Drinkin posted:

That seems to be better news for Pfizer crew

I'm not really sure it does. I didn't read beyond the abstract, but AZ/Pfizer > AZ/AZ doesn't really mean AZ/Pfizer > Pfizer/Pfizer.

(this post is not an endorsement of one vaccine over another – get whateverthefuck you can!)

VVV edit: If you have a choice yeah. But with current scarcity, I'd rather take AZ now then wait months for a different one VVV

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would absolutely endorse Pfizer or Moderna over AZ provided you have the choice

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Typical Pfizerheads, never let Astra Zenecas have anything nice :rolleyes:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's why I'm signing up for an mRNA for my second. If it works better, I'm doing it.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
lol, but TIMG that poo poo mang

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

in a sane and just world...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I also got my first Pfizer recently and only side effects were a bit sore arm and maybe a little more sleepy than usual

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's been like 75 percent minimal side effects and 25 percent noticeable ones with the people I know, and the only people I know that got absolutely laid the gently caress out were people who also had the virus at some point.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for replying. Reading your last post, I wasn't sure if you had read the Wade article - if you read your post again you'll probably see what I mean. But I realize now you've studied this more than me so bear with me.

For someone who has no idea who is who in the world of virologists, I couldn't care less what the other researchers think about that Wade guy. But doesn't he bring up a few valid points about conflicts of interest? Like, if Daszak is a beneficiary of a grant from the NIH, which he was responsible for distributing to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, why would anyone take him as a neutral voice of science when he refutes the lab origin theory? Why the hell is he on the WHO committee that investigates the virus origins, if one of the two leading theories is that he financed the work that originated the virus?

I'm open to the possibility that Wade is lying through his teeth here, I don't know the guy, but that kind of information at least needs to be refuted or defended.

On the one hand, gently caress people who think class can be justified by genetics. On the other hand, even an idiot can be right once in a while.

On the other hand, the specific thing the other poster brought up is the fact that in 2014, Nicholas Wade wrote some white supremacist poo poo that got 143 scientists to say "gently caress this racist guy who lies about science." So the specific accusation is that he's a guy who lies about science in service of racisms.

Call me intellectually lazy, but I don't think any of us should feel required to intellectually engage with the science-flavored conspiracy thesis of a dude whose CV starts and ends with "I lie about science in the service of racism"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://krogergiveaway.com

If I become a millionaire off getting my stabs I will forego wearing a mask to get the funds

Come at me, universe. Do it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s funny because AZ has no side effects after the second dose and near enough identical real world results, well other that the fact the the UK not repeatedly pausing the AZ rollout saved 18,000 lives...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It’s funny because AZ has no side effects after the second dose and near enough identical real world results, well other that the fact the the UK not repeatedly pausing the AZ rollout saved 18,000 lives...

It's a bit more complicated in Canada given we really don't have enough AZ for second shots because AstraZeneca is a garbage fire of a company and haven't managed to deliver anything in the like, four months since their vaccine was approved.

All our AZ first shots came from a separate order to the Serum Institute of India (who actually was able to make deliveries before India locked down export when their cases spiked), a loan of a million or so AZ vaccines from the US, and a handful from COVAX.

So part of it is yeah we need to give mRNA shots for second doses for some AZ first doses because otherwise they ain't getting second shots. We have a small amount coming in throughout the next few months which AZ folks can opt for their second shot but it's an insignificant amount compared to mRNA deliveries but with supply so uncertain (and so much mRNA available now) the AZ vaccine had become a bit... pointless in the Canadian context.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's a bit more complicated in Canada given we really don't have enough AZ for second shots because AstraZeneca is a garbage fire of a company and haven't managed to deliver anything in the like, four months since their vaccine was approved.

All our AZ first shots came from a separate order to the Serum Institute of India (who actually was able to make deliveries before India locked down export when their cases spiked), a loan of a million or so AZ vaccines from the US, and a handful from COVAX.

So part of it is yeah we need to give mRNA shots for second doses for some AZ first doses because otherwise they ain't getting second shots. We have a small amount coming in throughout the next few months which AZ folks can opt for their second shot but it's an insignificant amount compared to mRNA deliveries but with supply so uncertain (and so much mRNA available now) the AZ vaccine had become a bit... pointless in the Canadian context.

A shot of AZ+mRNA fills some very significant gaps of 2xAZ vs variants, and will likely improve lovely re-transmission numbers.

I'm glad I got my AZ when I could but I'm really glad I'll be able to follow it up with a shot of pfizer.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The virgin chAd/chAd vs the Chad chAd/BNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Cacator posted:

The virgin chAd/chAd vs the Chad chAd/BNT

Thank you, I was waiting for this.