Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

But you have to

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm really glad I haven't played SMT3 before. This means it's basically a brand new SMT game for me then I get another one later this year?? poo poo yeah

It doesn't feel too dated but there are a few small quirks that are annoying me. Small things like not being able to see your demon stats when choosing who to put in your party, not being able to rotate the 3D models, and the game booting you back to the title screen if you die, demon fusion feels clunkier etc

Really not a big deal at all but you notice it when you're used to the quality of life features in persona and SMT4. Still the atmosphere in this one seems really good and the overworld is so cool

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm going to just save money and wait out the rush. Plus, my switch lite is still pretty darn good (I wish I could get the blue one, but I'm not that petty). And yes, I want persona 3, 4, and 5 on the switch, please.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KingSlime posted:

I'm really glad I haven't played SMT3 before. This means it's basically a brand new SMT game for me then I get another one later this year?? poo poo yeah

It doesn't feel too dated but there are a few small quirks that are annoying me. Small things like not being able to see your demon stats when choosing who to put in your party, not being able to rotate the 3D models, and the game booting you back to the title screen if you die, demon fusion feels clunkier etc

Yeah I wish you could see demon weakness/resistance and skills when you're swapping in battle. Overall it doesn't feel dated though

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I did SMT4 as my only SMT to date. It's rad.

The big difference from other RPGs is that the buffs, debuffs, resistances and weaknesses are absolutely integral to the fights. In most games casting a protect is usually a waste of a turn. In SMT if you go into the first boss without it you will get killed in about two turns.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1400799502768828421?s=20

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I wish you could see demon weakness/resistance and skills when you're swapping in battle. Overall it doesn't feel dated though

Oh yeah, not to mention having to waste a turn to analyze enemies instead of just hitting L to get all of their details and then going back to your turn.

I agree though, It still feels and plays great and honestly this would have blown my freaking mind if I would have played it back when it launched originally. I have no idea how I had zero awareness of this franchise for so long

Also I can't get enough of my MC straight up punching things to death

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
As much as I love SMT IV gameplay-wise, there are some things that frustrate me about the game. Mainly traversing through the map was a slog, and I know and understand the premise of the series as a whole; spending all that time to successfully get the neutral path, yet the payoff ending turned out to be a cliffhanger for Apocalypse was kind of unsatisfying. Though I may start Apocalypse to get hyped for 5 regardless...

I hear Mike Pollocks' voice in that Eggman quote

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apocalypse is better than IV but it has a bit of a tone problem where it swings from power of friendship stuff to ultra dark kill em all depending on your answers with very little middle ground

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep OG IV has a more consistent tone and plot that is true to SMT. I mean that whole transition to when you get access to the world map is so crazy, I more or less went in blind and my brain absolutely melted at that point. Top gaming moment of all time for me

IV A has significantly improved gameplay but the story is very generic...I mean you have god drat Slimer from Ghostbusters as a member of your scrappy crew of friends lmao

I just ignore all of that because it's still a super fun and super addicting game

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hear all Eggman/Robotnik quotes in the voice of Long John Baldry from the Sonic cartoon

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Griftlands just released today (and is 20% off) if you, like me, have turned your Switch into a roguelite machine and need to add more to your stash.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Chaotic Flame posted:

if you, like me, have turned your Switch into a roguelite machine

Well i just bought two in the last 24 hours sooooo...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of roguelites, I've been playing Going Under recently and it's a pretty fun, albeit simple, roguelites where you go into dungeons (which are the offices of companies that have 'gone under') to clear them out, get money, buy stuff, take out the bosses, etc. You perform tasks for your fellow co-workers to have them 'mentor' you, which means giving you boosts when you set them as your mentor, like having more money show up, the ability to steal items from stores, having phone apps (spells, essentially) be more powerful, that kind of thing.

It's a pretty simple game, but the charm of the game really shines through in its writing, the humour is extremely millenial-focused, but manages to stay away from just being meme-y. It's hard to describe without going into detail, but I really liked it and would've loved to spend more time with the characters - its a shame they don't have the depth of dialogue that something like Hades does.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

sponges posted:

I can’t wait for Mario Golf

I am looking forward to it too, to the point that I've been playing the older games. I still have a 100% save file for Toadstool Tour that I opened recently, and I had forgotten how hard that game can be compared to it successor (though not as unforgiving as the N64 one). I've also been playing World Tour; I've unlocked all of the courses and star characters, but not all of the unlockable characters (just Toad so far).

My concern with Super Rush, besides being a stupid title for a golf game, is that it's going to be content-light like Super Mario Party with very few courses. I can live with a bit of DLC if they are reasonable about it, like Mario Kart for the Wii U or the extra courses for World Tour, but I don't want a repeat of SMP where there are a handful of tiny boards that are never expanded upon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My main worry is that they're focusing a lot on the speed golf stuff and that's gonna mean that the regular golfing is light on content. I hope I'm wrong, but what we've seen of the seemingly very basic story mode doesn't have me super excited.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

American McGay posted:

My main worry is that they're focusing a lot on the speed golf stuff and that's gonna mean that the regular golfing is light on content. I hope I'm wrong, but what we've seen of the seemingly very basic story mode doesn't have me super excited.

I've worried about that too. I don't plan to play multiplayer, but having simultaneous MP during classic matches was a great idea. What isn't a good idea is focusing on running golf instead of the classic game, which is about precision and course knowledge rather than a gimmick.

I looked a bit and apparently there are only about 6 courses, which is anaemic and disappointing. That's what Toadstool Tour had over 15 years ago. I'm not surprised, but then again I never am when things fail to meet expectations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What golf game has more than 6 courses? As long as the gameplay is fine I don't care. The entire point of golf is the replayability, especially if it has random weather elements.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

World Tour had like a dozen, even before DLC, a lot of them were 9 holers though

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

So what are you all gonna do when they actually do announce the pro or whatever it gets called.

Move on to the next rumor to be extremely mad at

I expect like a half a day of peace, tops, before the Discourse moves on to talking about the Switch 2.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

American McGay posted:

What golf game has more than 6 courses? As long as the gameplay is fine I don't care. The entire point of golf is the replayability, especially if it has random weather elements.

Some people just have different priorities. I don't give a toss about multiplayer, but many do. For me, a wide variety of courses/boards is important. Many require unlocking, but World Tour on the 3DS shipped with 3 typical 18-hole courses and another 18-hole course that was nothing but par 3s. There were also six 9-hole courses. Not great, but there six new 18-hole courses added via DLC and, as I said, I could live with a moderate DLC for Super Rush. SMP set the precedent for a limp amount of content with no additions, and I'm within reason to worry about a similar lack of variety here.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

Tiger Woods 09, which I played on and off for a good 13 years

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

xedo posted:

I expect like a half a day of peace, tops, before the Discourse moves on to talking about the Switch 2.

Please, it will instantly pivot to "this is such an unnecessary half-step that won't solve any of the Switch's problems, why is anyone even considering buying this?"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

every golf game in history

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I want the Switch Joe just so I finally have an excuse to mod my launch Switch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DorianGravy posted:

I finished the eight storylines in Octopath Traveler, and mostly really enjoyed myself! The art style is fantastic, the characters and storylines are fairly straightforward but enjoyable, and the combat system was fun. I also really liked exploring and helping NPCs with their minor difficulties. I knew that the storylines didn't intersect very much, so that aspect of the game didn't bother me. My only complaints were the excessive amounts of dialogue in some places and the fact that many of the bosses have way too much health. I haven't bothered with anything past the eight storylines, since the game doesn't really tell you where to go next. I might check it out later, but for now I'm satisfied with my experience.

I'd love to see some more games like this. I know that "Triangle Strategy" and the DQ3 remake have a similar look. How is DQ3 anyway? The only thing I'm worried about is the random encounter rate. Octopath has a pretty leisurely random encounter rate (especially after equipping a skill to lower it), and I don't think I could go back to the high encounter rates in some of those older games.

There’s an end boss. I think it’s worth fighting since there were little bits of lore in each story that culminate in the boss fight. It’s also absurdly difficult IMO so be prepared.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

I'd rather have Persona 3, 4, and 5 on Switch than have a Switch Pro. Insane how these games still haven't been ported over, like how loving ironclad of a deal does Atlus have with Sony? I was shocked P4 even came out to PC.

Especially with Persona's entry in Smash. Like, come on!

Persona and Symphony of the Night are two games that I wish would come over to either Switch or PC, so I could play them.

Regarding SMTIV, I never finished it. I got horribly lost in Tokyo. I really enjoyed what I played, but navigating the world map is really not fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Artix posted:

Please, it will instantly pivot to "this is such an unnecessary half-step that won't solve any of the Switch's problems, why is anyone even considering buying this?"

I mean if it’s like the New 3DS you absolutely should not but it unless it’s your first switch then you absolutely should

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I sold my 3ds a million years ago and regretted it, because now you can't get an XL for under $200. But I just happened to be on my phone when 2DS refurbs popped up for $50 and now I'm REALLY PUMPED for my kids to get a swing at it.

Not even sure what games I have floating around but they're going to fall in love with this thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver Falcon posted:

Especially with Persona's entry in Smash. Like, come on!

Persona and Symphony of the Night are two games that I wish would come over to either Switch or PC, so I could play them.

Regarding SMTIV, I never finished it. I got horribly lost in Tokyo. I really enjoyed what I played, but navigating the world map is really not fun.

Persona was on the 3DS so it's not like they pulled Joker out of nowhere

And also Persona 5 S is on Switch

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Switch Pro is real and coming out any time now. Just like new Pilotwings and Blast Corps titles. :smith:

one day Nintendo’s gonna make that star fox game that everybody’s been asking for, you know, the really classic style, back-to-basics arcade shooter that we’ve all wanted for twenty five years

you know Miyamoto loves star fox. it’s his favorite franchise by far, he says it all the time, he says “I completely understand why all of the fans love star fox so much, I feel their pain when they ask me to make a new star fox, you know it is very difficult. it has to be just right. every year I work so hard to make a new star fox and I put so many hours into it but I end up throwing everything out because it isn’t as good as what we made for the Wii U” he’s always saying in interviews just how much he adores star fox

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I remember spamming taunts in mario golf with my brother. I think it was the n64 version that Luigi would say "You look ridiculous!"

Freakin harsh, dude

Weedle
May 31, 2006

star fox has passed away from throat cancer

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I remember spamming taunts in mario golf with my brother. I think it was the n64 version that Luigi would say "You look ridiculous!"

Freakin harsh, dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ItUJp9ZnA

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dang that surprises me, I know we played the 64 version more. We even imported our characters from the gameboy game, how cool was that feature

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stux posted:

every golf game in history

Neo Turf Masters would like a word.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Never noticed this before, but pretty sure Yoshi's clips are ripped straight from Yoshi's Story and DK's/Diddy's from DK64

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

imo the switch pro is good if it can play botw2 at 60fps and bad if it's still 30fps

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Weedle posted:

star fox has passed away from throat cancer

good. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

drat you Ubisoft