Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Relatedly I've been playing a little more Tales of Hearts R and was surprised to see that Gall wasn't in the original, because he fits in real well.

I guess that game got pretty heavily reworked, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

My only beef with Marie is that the game tries to push her as being more important than Nanako during the final boss, but other than that she’s alright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

The only bad add on character is the one from tales of vesperia; all her dialog being no sequitors and her not remotely being integrated into the scenes she appears is a minor quibble in the face of her making the dreadful story of tales of vesperia even longer to get through
on the flipside she's one of like 3 characters in vesperia that's actually fun to play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Relatedly I've been playing a little more Tales of Hearts R and was surprised to see that Gall wasn't in the original, because he fits in real well.

I guess that game got pretty heavily reworked, though.
Yeah Hearts R's plot is almost completely different from the original. Like roughly similar events happen in roughly similar order, but the dialogue in cutscenes is already different, even ignoring Gall. Some skits got reused from the original but that's about it.

Chalcedony's subplot also got rewritten. It's a rather substantial remake, not just a port/upgraded version.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anakha posted:

Cloud in FFT is an example of a pointless add-on which I think is worse than a badly-integrated one.

Idk, I guess technically he’s pointless but Final Fantasy VI made an optional boss from V a secret party member who had literally nothing to add to the narrative of VI so it’s not like it was super out of place even back then given VII’s success. He’s definitely intergraded pretty horribly though, like to the point where making him usable almost sounds like those old General Leo guides.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never played vanilla P4, only Golden and I liked Marie

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly, I just think Marie adds nothing to the dynamic/themes of the game. She absolutely does not fit the aesthetic of the game and her social link and place in the story are a big whatever. She's clunkily written into the main plot, being ignoreable for 80% of the game but yet is super important for the last 20%.

Going with the Vesperia example, imagine having Patty around but you also need to use her in your party or else you don't have access to arc 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean regardless of using her or not Patty still exists in scenes and has her whloe subplot that you go through (there might be parts that are optional but not the full thing). Which isn't really that different from Marie, except Marie's story is all backloaded. And I mean Adachi is a character that is super ignoreable for 80% of the game but way important for the last 20%. I don't think that's necessarily something that ruins a character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly, I just think Marie adds nothing to the dynamic/themes of the game. She absolutely does not fit the aesthetic of the game and her social link and place in the story are a big whatever. She's clunkily written into the main plot, being ignoreable for 80% of the game but yet is super important for the last 20%.

Going with the Vesperia example, imagine having Patty around but you also need to use her in your party or else you don't have access to arc 3.

I never got very far in P4G but that would actively make Vesperia more interesting so

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually it wouldn't do anything because you (and by you i mean me) already have patty in the active party 100% of the time when she's available

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

The only bad add on character is the one from tales of vesperia; all her dialog being no sequitors and her not remotely being integrated into the scenes she appears is a minor quibble in the face of her making the dreadful story of tales of vesperia even longer to get through

half of the party of vesperia are badly integrated into scenes though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Actually it wouldn't do anything because you (and by you i mean me) already have patty in the active party 100% of the time when she's available

The active party is for people whose dialog connects to what other people are saying, sorry entire cast of Chrono Cross

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think patty is okay because she gets some sort of funny dialog sometimes and that's more than a lot of people in vesperia get for long stretches. and her scenes aren't like all that long in the grand scheme

i'll take a couple wacky patty comedy routines over whatever that back half of act 2 was

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think patty is okay because she gets some sort of funny dialog sometimes and that's more than a lot of people in vesperia get for long stretches. and her scenes aren't like all that long in the grand scheme

i'll take a couple wacky patty comedy routines over whatever that back half of act 2 was

Hey now, if we're allowed to remove things from Vesperia the entire game would end with act 1 and it would he the story of Yuri getting Estelle and Rita to date. Maybe there would be fighting but ugh, why not just cut that godawful combat instead of trying to rework it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd just replace the combat with graces f

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont understand how marie doesnt fit the aesthetic of persona 4. like i guess her clothes are more chic than the clothes the kids out in the sticks would wear but its not like shes wearing some outfit that no human being ever would, its pretty normal japanese city street fashion for the early 2010s, which is when p4 takes place.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

i dont understand how marie doesnt fit the aesthetic of persona 4. like i guess her clothes are more chic than the clothes the kids out in the sticks would wear but its not like shes wearing some outfit that no human being ever would, its pretty normal japanese city street fashion for the early 2010s, which is when p4 takes place.

She's got a cool hat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 6 needs a party member that dresses like this guy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endorph posted:

persona 6 needs a party member that dresses like this guy

The new MK palette swap ninja looks cool

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
just bring back baofu tbh

and ulala, and maya...

just bring back the p2 cast tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat mega man star force yesterday and my final addendum is that i wish i'd started it a few days later than i did cause the vanilla game kind of sucks to play and tired me out towards the end, and that dx hack someone released at the end of last month looks like it fixes literally every major problem i have with the game short of its shifted combat perspective and lack of movement options compared to bn

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

heh

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I liked Marie except for her main plot stuff.

If she'd just been a new weirdo chilling in Inaba you could befriend I'd have no complaints. But her main plot stuff was awkward and while Izanami in the original was too out of nowhere in some ways I thought that was better than what Golden added.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

She's got a cool hat

It is an awesome hat and she looks so weird without it in the Golden Ending.

Also people haven't mentioned how Marie has an unbelievably good voice-actress and several best in the game music tracks associated with her.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baofu deez nuts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish Marie had been a Gundam

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never played golden but i dont think og persona 4 is narratively cohesive enough for me to care about it adding a girl who writes goofy poetry into things. not like half the cast aren't already kinda one note with all their meaningful development shuffled into thirty minutes of the entire game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9hBkE_ZPA

earthbound translator found an old floppy disk from the game's development that had tons of scrapped ideas, unused code and comments from devs

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

the scenes where every character walks onscreen during her s-link so they can act like the whole party knows her and not just the protag are kind of goofy, but like, the party are all generally decent people so if yu had a friend they didn't know they'd be nice to them. i never really got the complaint that she was shoved down your throat, she has exactly as many scenes as every other s-link. granted her dungeon is kind of crap.

You can skip other s links and still see the entire game. I think that's the core issue people usually have.

I don't hate her but I don't like her and the game forces me to spend time with her, which sucks.

Granted I don't like teddies or Yossuke or Yukio much either but at least they're party members.

Last Celebration posted:

to be honest I kinda figured the “ending” in the A/B route was implicitly that things cut out before the stuff that leads to C/D which is still a not great time for him. He probably doesn’t care much about being unpersoned to save Kaine in D though.

Oh I know, I just think he basically gets what he wants there too.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I wish Marie had been a Gundam

Ok, what if all the characters were pilots and the demons you collect were mobile suits and the villain was char

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually think P4G is a worse game for my tastes than vanilla. I didn't like Marie, the bonus dungeon sucked, and the extra ending was pretty bad. Take all that away and what's left? Manual inheritance on fusion? That's cool and all but not really worth it

There aren't really any P4 characters I love but at least most of them avoid my active dislike

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

Ok, what if all the characters were pilots and the demons you collect were mobile suits and the villain was char

I have very little connection to any Gundam characters, I'm just saying they should bring back robots.

As far as I know, aside from the first two games no Persona characters interact with ones from another games outside of being superbosses.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe if you input your name wrong at the end? Never thought to try that. :v:

It just tells you that you hosed up, and makes you try again.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Maries goofy poetry. They nail that "super angsty teen with some talent" feel pretty well

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going out at night is cool and the night music is cool and that's cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

You can skip other s links and still see the entire game. I think that's the core issue people usually have.
good news the extra dungeon locked behind marie's s. link sucks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't do anyone's slink you haven't 'seen the whole game'

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Going out at night is cool and the night music is cool and that's cool.

winter is also extremely good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

If you don't do anyone's slink you haven't 'seen the whole game'

What

Endorph posted:

good news the extra dungeon locked behind marie's s. link sucks

Never done it so I can't comment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU