Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
goddamn it I am really pissed at the job market right now for being so good. Super congrats to everyone that is finding new opportunities, but I’m stuck here until February when I’m vested. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm mad because my wife just got her doctorate and the only places she can find work are where we're already at, and we've wanted to move out of here for many years. So I'm stuck at this job for a while longer.

Odds are by the time she finds her dream job the opportunities in IT will have dried up. :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

i am a moron posted:

Here’s the thing: If you’re managing policy (Azure Security center stuff doesn’t count because it configs that stuff for you) like ‘no public IPs’ or k8s stuff or allowed regions etc etc if you’re doing audit or configifnotexists policies you need the GUI anyways. And your more complicated definitions and assignments are easier to feed parameters in the GUI than via TF, so why the gently caress do it in TF cause you have to be in the GUI anyways. Sometimes people see TF as a hammer and want to nail everything with it

Wait, I am almost 100% sure we have policies created like "no public IP's" and such created and then also assign by terraform.

The only reason this was even brought up in the first place is that we were already IAC for everything else in azure and we were needing to reproduce this work over several tenants. I fought to simply migrate all the subscriptions, but we were still needing to keep them separate for a bunch of book cooking purposes.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 3, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Sickening posted:

Wait, I am almost 100% sure we have policies created like "no public IP's" and such created and then also assign by terraform.

The only reason this was even brought up in the first place is that we were already IAC for everything else in azure and we were needing to reproduce this work over several tenants. I fought to simply migrate all the subscriptions, but we were still needing to keep them separate for a bunch of book cooking purposes.

Oh, you 100% can. I just don’t know why you would. I haven’t seen many policies granular enough not to just be set at the management group level and inherited down to however you’re grouping your subs, so I don’t think you gain much by loving with a definition til it works in the GUI then porting it into a TF file or running the assignments that way. Like I said - if I see JSON I’m basically peacing the gently caress out because TF isn’t going to help that much. Those particular pieces aren’t really stateful (edit: actually I think they are for Policy but it’s just feeding ARM poo poo into TF so I’d rather use the portal).

Edit: oh I see where there’s confusion. I meant for managing the audit reports and compliance actions wrt the GUI, not that you need it for definitions and assignments. Since I’m already there anyways gently caress managing it with TF

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 3, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Oh, you 100% can. I just don’t know why you would. I haven’t seen many policies granular enough not to just be set at the management group level and inherited down to however you’re grouping your subs, so I don’t think you gain much by loving with a definition til it works in the GUI then porting it into a TF file or running the assignments that way. Like I said - if I see JSON I’m basically peacing the gently caress out because TF isn’t going to help that much. Those particular pieces aren’t really stateful (edit: actually I think they are for Policy but it’s just feeding ARM poo poo into TF so I’d rather use the portal).

Edit: oh I see where there’s confusion. I meant for managing the audit reports and compliance actions wrt the GUI, not that you need it for definitions and assignments. Since I’m already there anyways gently caress managing it with TF

I can agree with a lot of that for sure. We probably differ as we engage with a lot of inheritance from management groups and then handling what doesn't fit with exclusions. I could see how if you had a ton of subscriptions that were wildly different in their security policy needs that this wouldn't be as effective.

One thing I feel, (and if anyone feel differently please disagree) , is that sentinel seems to be getting a lot of functionality that I would expect to be available as pretty standard on the platform or at least pieced out for purchase. AWS seems to excel at selling you just what you need, where azure wants you to heavily invest at the most premier tier to get anything reasonable secure anymore.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
App services only being able to be made totally private and automatically shut off public access at a premium tier :thumbsup:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
To the fellas running azure sentinel did anyone get it to unify your logs nicely? I set it up today and all my poo poo is jumbled between log analytics and sentinel and log analytic solutions lol

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Had another bad interview today and I'm honestly questioning everything.

The guy asked me what the CIDR notation was for a /29. Isn't /29 the CIDR notation??? Honestly thought I knew what a CIDR notation was but I'm so terrible at these interviews I'm not sure anything I thought I know is correct any more. How have I been this poo poo for so long?

I asked him if he meant the subnet mask and he just repeated the question.

Pretty sure the recruiter was bullshitting me because he said they told him this interview went really well, which it definitely did not, but they invited me back for a second interview.

They asked less technical trivia this time and had some decent ones like draw and explain a network you've administered. I instead picked a high level diagram I'd already made in Visio for our data centres and just talked them through it. One question was even something like "everyone lies on their CV. Tell me one thing on yours that isn't true"

I think in general it went poorly overall because I just forget everything or sound like a dumbass when explaining anything. Dunno if I was being trash or one of the guys was being lovely but he asked something like "how do you manage these firewalls" and so I'm saying "what do you mean, like through the web GUI and SSH??" And he just repeats the question again (this was the same CIDR guy from last time), then says something like "well if I was asked this question I'd easily be able to explain how I manage the firewalls", so I say the webgui and SSH again and apparently that's the answer he wants, but because I prefaced it last time with "do you mean..." it was the wrong answer? idk. It's a shame I probably won't get it because it's basically the first enterprise I've actually seen recruiting here, and got anywhere with, since basically everything else is MSPs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That's a very vague question and he refused to clarify. Maybe you are better off not working with this guy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

One question was even something like "everyone lies on their CV. Tell me one thing on yours that isn't true"

Lol what the crap is this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

“I do it on a computer”

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Pretty sure the recruiter was bullshitting me because he said they told him this interview went really well, which it definitely did not, but they invited me back for a second interview.

They asked less technical trivia this time and had some decent ones like draw and explain a network you've administered. I instead picked a high level diagram I'd already made in Visio for our data centres and just talked them through it. One question was even something like "everyone lies on their CV. Tell me one thing on yours that isn't true"

I think in general it went poorly overall because I just forget everything or sound like a dumbass when explaining anything. Dunno if I was being trash or one of the guys was being lovely but he asked something like "how do you manage these firewalls" and so I'm saying "what do you mean, like through the web GUI and SSH??" And he just repeats the question again (this was the same CIDR guy from last time), then says something like "well if I was asked this question I'd easily be able to explain how I manage the firewalls", so I say the webgui and SSH again and apparently that's the answer he wants, but because I prefaced it last time with "do you mean..." it was the wrong answer? idk. It's a shame I probably won't get it because it's basically the first enterprise I've actually seen recruiting here, and got anywhere with, since basically everything else is MSPs.

I would run, run away from this place. That guys sounds like he's going to constantly needle you on tiny details that don't matter. Sounds like the guy who will ignore any requests or questions because you didn't phrase the things right or something.

If you gave the correct answers but they still made you feel like poo poo about it, that's not a good sign.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

asking subnetting questions is a huge red flag. nobody needs to do that poo poo by memory. use the internet

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Always feels like gotcha questions where the person asking just wants to feel smart or superior.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

"everyone lies on their CV. Tell me one thing on yours that isn't true"

That there is a trap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Dunno if I was being trash or one of the guys was being lovely but he asked something like "how do you manage these firewalls" and so I'm saying "what do you mean, like through the web GUI and SSH??" And he just repeats the question again (this was the same CIDR guy from last time)

I'm picturing the biggest nerd and one of the most pedantic fucks you'd ever have to work with

"Hey man are you on the phone or can I ask you something quickly?"
"Heh. I'm on a meeting wearing my headset, I'm not on the phone :smuggo:"

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 3, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That one turbo nerd that thinks he's gonna cut through the bullshit and really figure out if the candidate is any good. Trick questions will surely solve this.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Another interaction we had; I was going over my diagram (for reference, it's just a high level diagram of 'zones' in a data centre and what devices are in each zones. I divided it that way for documentation purposes, everything is colour coded to make it as easy to understand for IT people without much or any network experience, because all our desktop engineers are in the oncall rota but we only respond to network issues) one of the devices is labelled 'ISE Appliance'. He asked, "what is 'ISE Appliance?'", I started explaining it was Cisco's NAC platform except he cuts me off and in some super impatient tone says, "I know what ISE is. What do you use it for?" ... Brother why didn't you just ask me that?

Doesn't really matter anyway because I'm not going to be offered it. They're transitioning to the cloud and I have zero cloud experience and I doubt they're going to struggle to find someone with the experience they want. The other guy whose the manager/technical lead seemed super cool, and it's remote with onsite work whenever it's needed and like 40% more pay and not an MSP so I'd probably have said yes, that guy might be difficult to deal with but so are the managers where I am now :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The fact you got asked back means the first interview went better than you thought. You should take the role if you're offered it, assuming that guy won't be managing you.

It's eye-opening to do consulting type work and end up on a project alongside someone who just doesn't have a clue what they are doing but earns twice what you do and has a better title. Really helps with that imposter syndrome.

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody listens to that guys opinions on candidates anyway, but it's easier to just have him in the room than having to explain why he's not allowed to interview people.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Could just be HR title bullshit but the email they sent said his job title was Network Engineer, when I looked him up on LinkedIn he had it as Senior Network Engineer. So I guess I'd be his junior but the other guy is still the manager.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 3, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the fact that they allowed, or worse, chose, that guy to interview candidates is the reddest of flags that you don't want to be there, regardless of him being your superior, coworker, or someone you never interact with again

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

lament.cfg posted:

the fact that they allowed, or worse, chose, that guy to interview candidates is the reddest of flags that you don't want to be there, regardless of him being your superior, coworker, or someone you never interact with again

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I think in general it went poorly overall because I

The last job I got was the one interview where I walked out of there saying that I bombed it and I had no hope of getting the job. Usually I think they go alright and just never hear anything back.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

lol https://www.engadget.com/norton-360-antivirus-ethereum-crypto-miner-104547053.html?src=rss_b2c

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Really desperate to live up to the stereotypes about AV vendors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Just add a self replication feature and randomly lock down computers in return for coins too while you're at it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How many admins are going to funnel their corporate network into their own personal wallet?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

George H.W. oval office posted:

How many admins are going to funnel their corporate network into their own personal wallet?

Each post on Something Awful earns Jeffery one Gooncoin.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How many laptop batteries are going to prematurely die from the excess heat

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A while back someone posted a link to an article on how to interview for jobs better, can someone please re-link it because I need to pass it to my nephew.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

The last job I got was the one interview where I walked out of there saying that I bombed it and I had no hope of getting the job. Usually I think they go alright and just never hear anything back.

They offered me the job. I accepted it. Still waiting to hear back about a couple of others but not sure how I feel about them. Still not sure about that one dickhead but the manager seemed super chill. there's no forced office work, unless there's onsite work to do, and the office isn't far... and it's not like I'm rolling in opportunities either.

I'd stay where I am now, if not for this list of downsides, because I'm basically unsupervised. my current boss is a Confirmed Dickhead whereas that other guy is only a Suspected Dickhead, and both the managers here want to micromanage everything but they're so incompetent they cant keep track of what you're doing, or respond to an email within 3 weeks, so they're totally out of touch. The pay is poo poo, I'm going from a senior network role to a junior/generic network engineer position and my pay is going up 40%. It's not public sector but it's still a charity, but I've never worked a private sector role. Also they decided to leave WFH up to your line managers discretion and I know he'll do whatever he can to gently caress me over, so there's that too. I've got a couple of great friends here and my junior is a good dude and I feel a bit bad about abandoning him.

Also told them my notice is 1 month when it's actually 2 so it'll be fun to see what my manager pulls when I finally put my notice in.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I'm in talks with [major computer megacorp] for a position and they really want me in. Doubling my pay, offering bonuses and stock options and the whole thing. After being a contract worker for so long it's really nice and confusing to have an org so interested in bringing me on.

A merry YOTJ to us all!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Queadlunn posted:

A merry YOTJ to us all!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Queadlunn posted:

I'm in talks with [major computer megacorp] for a position and they really want me in. Doubling my pay, offering bonuses and stock options and the whole thing. After being a contract worker for so long it's really nice and confusing to have an org so interested in bringing me on.

A merry YOTJ to us all!

:yotj: Congrats, remember you earned it!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yes! That's quite a jump. Congrats!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

:yotj:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

That might be what it takes to get a react native developer though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

They offered me the job. I accepted it. Still waiting to hear back about a couple of others but not sure how I feel about them. Still not sure about that one dickhead but the manager seemed super chill. there's no forced office work, unless there's onsite work to do, and the office isn't far... and it's not like I'm rolling in opportunities either.

I'd stay where I am now, if not for this list of downsides, because I'm basically unsupervised. my current boss is a Confirmed Dickhead whereas that other guy is only a Suspected Dickhead, and both the managers here want to micromanage everything but they're so incompetent they cant keep track of what you're doing, or respond to an email within 3 weeks, so they're totally out of touch. The pay is poo poo, I'm going from a senior network role to a junior/generic network engineer position and my pay is going up 40%. It's not public sector but it's still a charity, but I've never worked a private sector role. Also they decided to leave WFH up to your line managers discretion and I know he'll do whatever he can to gently caress me over, so there's that too. I've got a couple of great friends here and my junior is a good dude and I feel a bit bad about abandoning him.

Also told them my notice is 1 month when it's actually 2 so it'll be fun to see what my manager pulls when I finally put my notice in.

Hope it works out for ya. The interviews sounded like poo poo but it may work out yet. I had some doubts at my last position based on reviews from Glassdoor and Google. Turns out every department but IT was a disaster and we were the shining beacon within the organization. A tight knit group that really meshed well together. It's a shame the company went under because it was an incredibly easy job with good people.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If you ever feel that you aren't cut out for your job, please know we are on day 8 of having a cisco admin console being opened to the internet and the network team failing to fix it.

First I was told it was fixed and they closed the ticket. My Youngest daughter did the honors of going to the website from her ipad. I had to then tell a network engineer that his network testing was indeed flawed because (shocked face) its still up.

Next I was told that it was fixed for sure this time! Well poo poo, no its not fixed and I had my other child look it up on their ipad. I was then told it must be still cached. I asked my child to login with whatever they felt like typing in the username and password field and SHOCKED FACE, it returned a "password invalid". The network engineer still had the nerve to argue. He actually wouldn't admit defeat until I showed the SEIM log with the failed login from the user "thewebsiteisstillupnetworkteam". The last part wasn't even necessary as basic grade school level troubleshooting could proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Now they’re gonna sue your kids for infiltration of the network.