Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Tactically assessing the threat situation of a monster deployed in the sub-bed area, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Whilst is dead in American English but "whom" actually serves an important and useful function and should be used more often.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Jimbozig posted:

Nah, this is one where the Americans are wrong.

Zee
Cee?
No zee!
Gee??
No, zee as in zebra!

Vs

"Zed"

Aee bee cee dee ee fee gee hee iee jee kee lee mee nee oee pee quee ree see tee uee vee wee xee yee zee

There I fixed the alphabet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Whilst is dead in American English but "whom" actually serves an important and useful function and should be used more often.
Whom cares

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Don't pitch your devil cereals at me

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No it doesnt

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no thanks, i already ate

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
twimst

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

How ya'll feel about thrice?

Artist in the Ambulance is about the only record I'll still spin.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Tosh with the big grain energy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Piell posted:

No it doesnt

sorry your weak-rear end sentences never need to distinguish between an unknown subject and unknown object, then :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sorry your weak-rear end sentences never need to distinguish between an unknown subject and unknown object, then :colbert:

You can figure it out from context. I'm not even going to bother citing other languages that plain have no such thing, when you are more than capable of doing this in English, which doesn't distinguish this outside of pronouns, which is why you don't get confused by the use of "garage" in "the garage is closed" vs "I'm going to the garage", even though the cases aren't syntactically distinguished.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Whom and whilst are both fine words on their own, the problem comes from the fact that they're misused more frequently than not. See also the semicolon.

Thrice is a fine word with a p-leasing sound that is especially useful when one wants to sound ostentatious but should be used sparingly to preserve its magic much as one would a strong spice.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

KingKalamari posted:

Whom and whilst are both fine words on their own, the problem comes from the fact that they're misused more frequently than not. See also the semicolon.

Alas, the semicolon; I love semicolons, but they're very easy and tempting to misuse.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

lol

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

KingKalamari posted:

Thrice is a fine word with a p-leasing sound that is especially useful when one wants to sound ostentatious but should be used sparingly to preserve its magic much as one would a strong spice.

this is it, pretty much. And whilst sticks out more frequently in North American english because it's fallen further out of common use than whom has.

you can do good work with 'thrice', but you really need to have a cadence built up for it to fly.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

heh

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022
"Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022"

I am extremely sceptical about using 616-sided dice.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
d616 is a reference to Earth-616, which is the universe designation for the "regular" Marvel Universe continuity. I doubt they're actually enlisting Lou Zocchi for an actual 616-sided die.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Obviously it's like the d666 system, except it's two six-sided dice and one one-sided die.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Roadie posted:

Obviously it's like the d666 system, except it's two six-sided dice and one one-sided die.

It's a d6, one d6, just like there's just one Bond, James Bond.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A d6 and a d16 of course, jeez

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
16 d6s

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The most basic thing to call d616 is probably a roll-under 3d6 where you get to change one of your dice to a 1.

That's a fairly nice set of six stats matching MARVEL, at least, sort of surprised it hasn't been found before this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Goa Tse-tung posted:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022
"Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022"

I am extremely sceptical about using 616-sided dice.

I can't wait for them to abruptly cancel this one too. How many Marvel RPGs have there been now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ego as a stat is going to lead to some new, weird arguments at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
First three are just strength, dex, and con run through a thesaurus with all the problems that come with it. Logic will be Int, the only interesting ones are Ego and Vigilance.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Splicer posted:

First three are just strength, dex, and con run through a thesaurus with all the problems that come with it. Logic will be Int, the only interesting ones are Ego and Vigilance.

Vigilance sounds like the perception part of wisdom and Ego is just the willpower/force of personality parts from charisma. So it really sems like it is just the regular 6 but stripped down for some reason. Its not like regular charisma wouldn't be a big part of superhero stories.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Splicer posted:

Ego is just charisma renamed, Vigiliance is just Wisdom renamed

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The higher your ego stat the closer you get to being a living planet.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

We all know the stats this needs:

STRENGTH
INTELLIGENCE
ENERGY PROJECTION
MENTAL POWERS
FIGHTING ABILITY
SPEED

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hel posted:

Vigilance sounds like the perception part of wisdom and Ego is just the willpower/force of personality parts from charisma. So it really sems like it is just the regular 6 but stripped down for some reason. Its not like regular charisma wouldn't be a big part of superhero stories.

Piell posted:

Ego is just charisma renamed, Vigiliance is just Wisdom renamed
In theory ditching the explicit social stat means the players can choose how they approach social situations: through hyperawareness of the person you're talking to, or overpowering them with your raw willpower, or overpowering them with factsandlogic. If you want to be good at intimidating people you just take the intimidation skill equivalent and then play into your strengths. Honestly if the R wasn't an obvious Con replacement I would be cautiously optimistic, but it is so yeah they didn't actually think any of this out they just ran the big six through a thesaurus until something matched up and then called it a day.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kai Tave posted:

I can't wait for them to abruptly cancel this one too. How many Marvel RPGs have there been now?
This will be the fifth.
Marvel super heroes rpg is the percentile one
Marvel Saga is the card based one.
Marvel Universe is the stone based one.
Marvel Heroic is the Cortex one.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It's all been downhill since FASERIP.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Falstaff posted:

It's all been downhill since FASERIP.

FASERIP or GTFO

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marvel Heroic ruled. :colbert: Not enough for Marvel to not play silly buggers and pull the license abruptly, but it was great.

We have Sentinel Comics now anyway so it's fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This thread got me to look up FASERIP, which lead me to check out Gurbintroll Games again, which lead me to discover that Dark Dungeons has been rereleased as Dark Dungeons X (allegedly including material from the now-deprecated Darker Dungeons) and that they also have a Rolemaster retroclone called Lightmaster now

Thanks thread!

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Lumbermouth posted:

STRENGTH
INTELLIGENCE
ENERGY PROJECTION
MENTAL POWERS
FIGHTING ABILITY
SPEED

I am actually shocked no company has tried this before. For a mini-campaign once I doubled the stats in BASH! and made up some cards that looked like the old 1992 cards for character sheets and it was a lot of fun. Seems like a real obvious hook to drive people to your RPG.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lumbermouth posted:

STRENGTH
INTELLIGENCE
ENERGY PROJECTION
MENTAL POWERS
FIGHTING ABILITY
SPEED

I'm dumb. What's the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm dumb. What's the joke?

It's the Power Grid, used in the various Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe books