Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bricking in this context being me physically hurling this brick at you. Pucker up, sweet cheeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Speaking about bricks.

I just ordered a Virpil CM3 to replace my X52 throttle. Funny enough I never had a single problem with that throttle, but it only has one hat, one mini stick, some fairly useless dials, and like 6 buttons total. The rubber coating started coming off a few years ago and I took it off. The stick I had to clean the rudder pot a few times over like a decade and I did some magnet mod shortly after I got it.

I replaced the stick a bit ago with a Gladiator NXT and it's been fantastic, and got Crosswind pedals. Did you helicopters dont just spin uncontrollably on takeoff? Who knew.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Some dude said he couldn't fix his Virpil device and had to send it back to. Perhaps not all instances result in a bricked device, but some might. Is this worth the inconvenience of unplugging/toggling a USB port switch on your USB hub?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Guys I got the stuff and I’m almost in tears over here...this stuff is beyond amazing. I followed the instructions here to not brick, quasibrick, or microbrick anything. Everything survived unbricked.

The software pop ups and steps sometimes had some just-off English, so I read everything in my head as Boris the Blade.

Did you guys know the Virpil throttle unlocks a new dialog option with the tankers? Today was the first time I’ve ever gotten “Transfer complete.” Also I didn’t have to explain why I gunned down yet another tanker, so that was nice.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
good gear is good

You might want to make your flaps lever a 3 position switch, and your constellation alpha analog stick to be a 4 way hat. Helps in DCS for aircraft that just have a 3-position flap lever, and if you need another hat on your stick. Though it could trigger some unwanted binding behavior in IL-2 and the like. This doesn't prevent them from being analog axis, just adds additional button presses. You can also make it so T1, T2, T3, T4 provide a button press in the up position.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bondematt posted:

Speaking about bricks.

I just ordered a Virpil CM3 to replace my X52 throttle. Funny enough I never had a single problem with that throttle, but it only has one hat, one mini stick, some fairly useless dials, and like 6 buttons total. The rubber coating started coming off a few years ago and I took it off. The stick I had to clean the rudder pot a few times over like a decade and I did some magnet mod shortly after I got it.

I replaced the stick a bit ago with a Gladiator NXT and it's been fantastic, and got Crosswind pedals. Did you helicopters dont just spin uncontrollably on takeoff? Who knew.

Yeah, I went from the ancient CH Pedals to the Crosswinds, and it's a massive improvement. Having pedals so smooth and sensitive is a godsend for any helicopter that isn't the Black Shark.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This doesn't prevent them from being analog axis, just adds additional button presses. You can also make it so T1, T2, T3, T4 provide a button press in the up position.

Yes!
This is actually an important point about Virpil (and I presume all modern programmable gear, but I've only ever used the VPC software): you can easily add multiple overlapping functions to buttons, switches, and axes such that they give off all three behaviours at once. Make a single physical button also trigger a virtual on/of switch and move a virtual axis, or make a physical axis send off switch switch positions and button presses as you move through its entire range.

You can then get a huge flexibility as far as what you tell the software to look for, and your only issue is that you end up with a device with 700 buttons and 50 axes — older games may… get confused, let's say, since they expect a 32-button/4-axis maximum from any one device.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shine posted:

Yeah, I went from the ancient CH Pedals to the Crosswinds, and it's a massive improvement. Having pedals so smooth and sensitive is a godsend for any helicopter that isn't the Black Shark.

Without a doubt, getting the Virpil pedals made it actually possible for me to fly helicopters.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: MUSTANG AIR RACE :frogsiren:

Time: 2000 UTC on saturday the 12th, in two days.
Air Goons Discord.

This saturday, we will be using the free mustang, with free caucasus map, in DCS. You don't need to spend any money to partake in this, even if you don't own jack poo poo.

Concept: a Red Bull race style air race where you will be passing through cones and radio tower gates with your TF-51 Mustang, and on the third lap you will have to be able to land, have at least ONE landing gear strut remaining, and your pilot will have to be able to exit the plane alive. The other referee and announcer is making a short power point about the rules that will be in use and it will be shown in Discord Stream before race start.

This race will be played three times. Each individual race has 5 points for winner, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th.

It will be from an air start, and the event also starts from a quick fly-through of the track for clarity.
TF-51 is the trainer version of P-51 Mustang that is in DCS for free, and the game is free. FREE I SAY.

Put your name onto this list if you want to fly and join!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
How long is the race ? Gotta optimize how much fuel I take.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
All planes have half tank from an air start. No customization. Each race is about 15 minutes.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Sweet, thanks for clearing it up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s going to be soooooo many seized engines.

:allears:

Also, I wish I could be there to dive-bomb the grid in the Jug.

I love that stupid locomotive-sized airplane.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
E: postponed

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Free, no purchase necessary. Just grab the DCS open beta client and the A-4 mod and you are ready for carrier ops. Landing is not a requirement for this mission, just need to get in the air from the carrier deck and point your plane northish.

A-Mission 19-JUN 20:00UTC

"A" for Effort

The year is 196X. Last week, the US Navy entered the Black Sea to assist Turkey in natural disaster relief following flooding and landslides. While departing, US forces skirt the Soviet coastline; the Cool War may be hotting up.

Intelligence revealed a Soviet plan to imperil America and her NATO ally's food security through genetically engineered invasive species. They plan to release their destructive seed and insects imminently. Your mission is to bomb their research facility to styme production. Our source believes they are dispatching these materials by train this very morning. You are authorized to destroy said train if you can visually identify it.

Of course we don't want to show too much of our hand, so we must give the appearance of an alternate main objective. Warehouses at Maykop store the latest Russian avionics, and there is a semiconductor fabrication facility near the aforementioned research facility. Take them out, but don't get too carried away.

A-4 download: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta-5.1
Drop the A-4 folder into your "C:\Users\CoolDude\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\mods\aircraft" folder.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 16, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I put together some poor A-4 tutorial videos with minimal soliloquies and trivia. Most are 5 minutes or less. Anyone could be mission-ready in ~30 minutes of practice.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkUsDXp-qihFLtgFbppf5h0WwzWrZdCNR

Feel free to hop on to discord and ask questions or do 1-on-1 training.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are helicopters flyable with only a joystick? I'm really tempted to get the MI-24 but I don't have rudder pedals and I've never flown helis in DCS before.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Black Shark flies fine with a twist stick. You probably want some form of rudder controls at hand, idk two buttons?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah the Black Shark is the easiest since it has no tail rotor to compensate for. Mi-8 flies like a boat so it's also probably not too bad with a twist stick. I wouldn't buy the Huey or Gazelle without decent pedals though. Donno about the Mi-24 but I would guess that's one that's probably agile enough that it will be painful without pedals.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mi-24 is really the only one I'm interested in. I have a twist joystick and don't mind using keybinds for rudder controls just curious if it's a reasonable thing to do or will just be too painful.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Popete posted:

Mi-24 is really the only one I'm interested in. I have a twist joystick and don't mind using keybinds for rudder controls just curious if it's a reasonable thing to do or will just be too painful.

It's pretty hard to say for sure without actually being able to try it but from previous helicopter experience I would probably advise against it. At the very least it will be much harder.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Popete posted:

Usually there is a special option for a rudder trimmer which keeps your rudder input in place when you trim the rest of the chopper. Saves your wrist a bit when using twist joysticks. That being said, an inexpensive set of pedals (lol) makes flying choppers much easier once you get used to them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a free trial of the Mi-24 going on right now? I'll give it a shot and see how it is.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Popete posted:

Apparently there is a free trial of the Mi-24 going on right now? I'll give it a shot and see how it is.

Theres a free two week trial of all modules. Cant remember if it was once each module ever, or once each module per year?

Only on the standalone app IIRC, so not on steam version.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Once per module every 6 months.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Oh I didn't know the Hind was actually available to fly today, neat!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm really happy they did that. Enjoyed the free periods they had twice a year but inevitably something else came up and I couldn't play with my computer planes. Plus there's so many modules I don't have that I end up getting a bunch and not spending enough time with any of them.

This way I can wait for a convienent block of time and then stick with the one aircraft the whole period.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

You for sure need pedals with the Mi-24 though I'm sure some make due without

Also it's not super maneuverable, if you want that go with the Gazelle

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

You for sure need pedals with the Mi-24 though I'm sure some make due without

Also it's not super maneuverable, if you want that go with the Gazelle

How does the gunners cockpit feel? The Hind is really really hard to resist for me just out of principle

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How does the gunners cockpit feel? The Hind is really really hard to resist for me just out of principle

Haven’t messed with it too much yet. Only had time to learn the cold start procedure and set up my controls.

Check out the two week trial if you don’t want to pay for early access.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Don't buy the gazelle. Please. Do not give Polychop any money until they've proven they aren't complete twits.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do I access the 2 week trial on modules? I don't see an option in the module manager in game.

Edit: Nevermind I found it, it's under Trial Licenses on your account page on the DCS site.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm finally getting around to working on the f-16 and i have a question regarding the cms. i've always just used bypass and manual chaff and flares on the hornet, so i'm at a bit of a loss with the automated systems and how they work. what do ppl in dcs ordinarily do with the f-16? do you map all the axes of the cms controls, do you use the automated programs, do you just use the manual chaff/flare button?

:confused:

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Stringent posted:

i'm finally getting around to working on the f-16 and i have a question regarding the cms. i've always just used bypass and manual chaff and flares on the hornet, so i'm at a bit of a loss with the automated systems and how they work. what do ppl in dcs ordinarily do with the f-16? do you map all the axes of the cms controls, do you use the automated programs, do you just use the manual chaff/flare button?

:confused:

I set up the 3 programs I use - 4 quick flares, 10 slow, spaced flares, and 4 quick chaff in the lua, as my game is installed in program files, and the cmds editors out there require to be run as admin to do the editing for you.

I mapped all the cmds directions except left, and put the slap switch on cmds press on the warthog. When I’m flying, I leave it in semi, and have the quick flare, whatever program the cmds thinks is appropriate for the radar threat it picks up, and the slap switch panic program ready. If I know I’m going up against a specific threat, I’ll change the manual program selector to suit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Snapshot posted:

I set up the 3 programs I use - 4 quick flares, 10 slow, spaced flares, and 4 quick chaff in the lua, as my game is installed in program files, and the cmds editors out there require to be run as admin to do the editing for you.

I mapped all the cmds directions except left, and put the slap switch on cmds press on the warthog. When I’m flying, I leave it in semi, and have the quick flare, whatever program the cmds thinks is appropriate for the radar threat it picks up, and the slap switch panic program ready. If I know I’m going up against a specific threat, I’ll change the manual program selector to suit.

that is very helpful, thanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Flew the Mi-24 last night briefly and can confirm it works with just a twisty joystick, sort of. As in I was able to take off and fly around but it does require some constant rudder input which could give you a sore wrist. I'll play around with keybinding rudder to the keyboard instead and see if that helps.

It's hard to tell if it's a controls issue or just me being bad at flying helicopters.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Is there rudder trim?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wooper posted:

Is there rudder trim?

This a very good question. I will check that.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Wooper posted:

Is there rudder trim?

There is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Popete posted:

This a very good question. I will check that.

Check in a special options, it is off by default.