Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I lost count of the number of times I have to remind people of reputation impact when it comes to security. Headlines read "COMPANY X BREACHED (no confidential information stolen)" not "NO CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION STOLEN in company X breach"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I lost count of the number of times I have to remind people of reputation impact when it comes to security. Headlines read "COMPANY X BREACHED (no confidential information stolen)" not "NO CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION STOLEN in company X breach"

They take a reputation hit, but its getting to the point where everyone's been breached at one point or the other.

Its like 'There is no ethical consumption under capitalism' except its 'There is no unbreached corporation under Capitalism'. Its also counter to the reality of infosec which is: You are going to get hacked, it will happen to you eventually, IR/DR and a good Infosec program is how you will handle that when it happens.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

There's also the fact that the actual hit stocks take from breaches is minimal and is gone after 6 months. It doesn't matter if a bunch of infosec nerds say Store X is dumb, normal people don't remember and the robots that trade the stocks don't care. It's just a brute fact that the monetary hit from stock prices and brand damage from breaches is tiny. If the operational costs can be shifted away too (eg with insurance) there's not a financial incentive to care outside of industries where a major breach really could be a company ending event. And (unfortunately) stuff like Cambridge Analytica has proved that stuff that we might intuitively expect to be company-ending just...isn't.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im sorry to kramer into your fine thread and bother yall, but the old domestic partner wants a more secure maybe even non-american VPN and im too ignorant to help her.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Depends entirely why she thinks she needs one to begin with (changing IP to watch foreign TV? Torrenting without risk of DMCAs? Living in a country where ISPs collect web history?)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Saucer Hovers posted:

im sorry to kramer into your fine thread and bother yall, but the old domestic partner wants a more secure maybe even non-american VPN and im too ignorant to help her.

Mullvad

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mullvad or ProtonVPN.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

First choice: Mullvad. Second choice: Proton.

e: Beaten, but keeping my voice in the chorus.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Depends entirely why she thinks she needs one to begin with (changing IP to watch foreign TV? Torrenting without risk of DMCAs? Living in a country where ISPs collect web history?)

they mostly use it as an academic to procure academic articles for no money

CommieGIR posted:

Mullvad or ProtonVPN.

thank yall having a look

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

they mostly use it as an academic to procure academic articles for no money

No need for a VPN, just use sci-hub. I think they have a tor version of the site too if you're paranoid

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

No need for a VPN, just use sci-hub. I think they have a tor version of the site too if you're paranoid

Yeah if its just for Scientific Articles, Sci-Hub.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol
https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/1400875731505274888

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Isn't proton known to be a Honeypot at this point?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

theyre using scihub and dont want to end up like its founder or sued a few years from now once they catch up. weve been using KNOWN BAD VPN for a couple years and decided to stop being rubes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

Isn't proton known to be a Honeypot at this point?

There's some claims its a Honeypot, Privacy-watchdog.io has some extensive claims but I haven't seen any hard evidence yet, but privacy-watchdog.io is also suspected to be an astroturfing campaign for another VPN vendor and focuses a lot on Proton's services.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 4, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

CommieGIR posted:

There's some claims its a Honeypot, Privacy-watchdog.io has some extensive claims but I haven't seen any hard evidence yet, but privacy-watchdog.io is also suspected to be an astroturfing campaign for another VPN vendor and focuses a lot on Proton's services.

Hmmm maybe I dug that website up last time I looked not paying attention and thinking it was https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/, thought privacytools.io (frontend for r/privacy) removed them at some point under honeypot pretenses but they list it under both vpn and email so :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

Hmmm maybe I dug that website up last time I looked not paying attention and thinking it was https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/, thought privacytools.io (frontend for r/privacy) removed them at some point under honeypot pretenses but they list it under both vpn and email so :shrug:

I mean, the reality is any of these providers could be a plant, and the only way to be sure is to setup your own servers/cloud solutions to vpn to, so you are not wrong to be cautious about them.

https://twitter.com/gabsmashh/status/1400876819654533120?s=20

Run. Run fast, run far.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 4, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
vmware vuln?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Biowarfare posted:

vmware vuln?

It came out a week or two ago. Starting to be exploited now though. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/under-exploit-vmware-vulnerability-with-severity-rating-of-9-8-out-of-10/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, April fools was a while ago :colbert:

Oh it's real.

Yep.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I know the nmap checker for it is out:

https://github.com/GuayoyoCyber/CVE-2021-21972

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
the funny thing is that i noticed one of my dead side project sites (avg <100 pv/day) is now getting a hundred requests a minute of that vcenter request crap from bots instead of just the usual wp-login.php type of 404

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
When I first saw that headline I thought it meant that Norton would start treating Ethereum mining software like a virus. :psyduck:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wonder how much cocaine went into that decision

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ynglaur posted:

When I first saw that headline I thought it meant that Norton would start treating Ethereum mining software like a virus. :psyduck:

I assumed it meant that norton antivirus was gonna start doing crypto mining and sending all the coins to symantec

I'm not convinced its not going to

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

theyre using scihub and dont want to end up like its founder or sued a few years from now once they catch up. weve been using KNOWN BAD VPN for a couple years and decided to stop being rubes

Tor will always be better than VPN as far as anonymity but much slower. If you’re really paranoid run Tails while using Tor at a coffee shop wifi.

Getting more elaborate than that is both beyond my ability to do safely and probably not relevant to your use case.

Personally if I’m understanding what your goal is, speaking for myself I would just use a VPN since if it’s a honeypot it’s probably not worth ruining it for copyright violations, but definitely I’m trading some safety for ease of use.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Tor will always be better than VPN as far as anonymity but much slower. If you’re really paranoid run Tails while using Tor at a coffee shop wifi.

Getting more elaborate than that is both beyond my ability to do safely and probably not relevant to your use case.

Personally if I’m understanding what your goal is, speaking for myself I would just use a VPN since if it’s a honeypot it’s probably not worth ruining it for copyright violations, but definitely I’m trading some safety for ease of use.

Unrelated to this but I just wanted to share this awesome blog post about how Tor really works: https://skerritt.blog/how-does-tor-really-work/

I found it just fascinating to read, and so now I share it with you all! May it prove to be a good conversation piece when all y’all’s friends and family next regret asking you about your careers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Fun little Kubernetes vulnerable cluster for practicing security on K8s

https://github.com/madhuakula/kubernetes-goat

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

First choice: Mullvad. Second choice: Proton.
Based on currently available info this is what I'd do.

I currently give mullvad money, FWIW

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1401729287510704129?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think it says something about security these days that whenever I see a picture of someone's monitor I'm instantly on the look out for sticky notes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm the additional opsecfuck of the excel spreadsheet in the downloads of people_i_bribe_for_their_connections.xlsx

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sounds like a great FOIA request right there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Martytoof posted:

Wow, April fools was a while ago :colbert:

Oh it's real.

Yep.
According to claims elsewhere, you need an active subscription and they're gonna take a 15% share.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1401969917633740801?s=20

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

lol I thought that was an exit scam by hackers trying to lay low

edit: depending on the timeline, they are still out 30% of their money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ynglaur posted:

Sounds like a great FOIA request right there.

The only thing that this guy wouldn't want to have released is the actual figures, in much the same way you don't want your clients to know what you ACTUALLY bill.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

text editor posted:

lol I thought that was an exit scam by hackers trying to lay low

edit: depending on the timeline, they are still out 30% of their money.

Also they'll just lose money on the exchange rate

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Any technicals on how the FBI recovered those funds? I am assuming penetrating whatever systems had the private keys is more likely than cracking the crypto involved....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Any technicals on how the FBI recovered those funds? I am assuming penetrating whatever systems had the private keys is more likely than cracking the crypto involved....

You would be right, right now it appears that the ransomware team had some servers in California that the FBI discovered and siezed that had wallets on it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 8, 2021