Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1391423679477829633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPx3iDChP4

I already repressed the memory forgot if he's supposed to be in hiding or if he's presumed dead by the Miami PD

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPx3iDChP4

I already repressed the memory forgot if he's supposed to be in hiding or if he's presumed dead by the Miami PD

he faked his death iirc, so presumably he’s living under a false identity

it’s not clear if that half-cooked plot about all of the bay harbor butcher evidence being tossed up by a hurricane would ever tie back to dexter or anything like that (i think that was a plot point? i don’t even remember anymore)

it seems like they’re going for a very strong fargo/lorne malvo vibe, which, uh, i guess is better?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So, with all these promos, I'm under the strong impression Dexter isn't a killer anymore, and will get back to it as the show goes on. Why do I get the feeling that his return to killing will be marked with Ghost-Deb saying "Surprise motherfucker!"

Honestly, if there's really a possibility the show will be coming back past this one season, I kinda hope they do a soft reboot. Make it clear this is the same Dexter Morgan and that all of that stuff did happen, but don't even address it aside from the occasional wink to the audience when necessary. The last few years of the first run were so bad they ruined the rest of the show, and it's past the point of being salvageable. Just start all the way over. Yeah, it's lazy, but the further it gets away from that steaming garbage of a wrap up, the better.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JaddaCaddra posted:

So, with all these promos, I'm under the strong impression Dexter isn't a killer anymore, and will get back to it as the show goes on. Why do I get the feeling that his return to killing will be marked with Ghost-Deb saying "Surprise motherfucker!"

In the first promo with him looking out the window you can see a tied up guy in the reflection.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

In the first promo with him looking out the window you can see a tied up guy in the reflection.

Yeah, when I first saw that I was under the assumption he'd have been killing all along. But then there's the one where he says "It's so good to get back to nature... My nature" and the most recent one where he's looking longingly at the knives. So, watching that first one again, he's looking out the window with a somber expression, then he turns to the victim and is smiling again. Like he's bummed/bored/whatever with his new life, and happy to be turning back to his old ways.

And I've officially spent more time thinking about this than the creative team spent thinking about anything in the last few seasons, because there's more to think about in three minutes of promos than there were in those thirty six episodes.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 3, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hello old friend.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hello old friend.

*circling intensifies*

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm doing a very casual first re-watch of this trainwreck so I can appreciate the all-new trainwreck approaching us.
The show catching up with the memes is perhaps the best part, as it makes some scenes into great comedy set pieces

*questioning a suspect*
"OK OK I'll talk, I'll tell you what you want to know"
"You know where Freebo is?"
"Even better .. C H I C K Y H I N E S"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gang tag potential

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Genuinely really looking forward to the reboot.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
It's either going to be a train wreck, in which case we have this hatewatch thread to make the experience enjoyable, or it'll actually be good. The show wasn't really all that good past the second season, but it was carried by some pretty great performances and the occasional piece of good writing until around the sixth season. Season 4 is the best example of this. The moments with Trinity were great, thanks in large part to Lithgow's incredible performance, but everything else was a big pile of "meh" at best. The original showrunner is coming back and the main antagonist is being played by the always great Clancy Brown, so this season has the potential to be on par with 4, at least.

Think I read recently there's a potential for the show to come back for more than one season. I dunno if that was legit, but if it does, I sincerely hope they handle whatever supporting cast they have better than the last one. I think the hardest thing to ignore in retrospect was how flat the secondary characters were, and how little development they received over the course of 90+ episodes.

Except Quair. Quair was always evolving.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JaddaCaddra posted:

I kinda hope they do a soft reboot. Make it clear this is the same Dexter Morgan and that all of that stuff did happen, but don't even address it aside from the occasional wink to the audience when necessary.

If they ever do flashback to Dexters life in the Miami PD instead of showing original footage they should refilm the scenes with the actors at their current ages all wearing wigs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

Gang tag potential

I hope so. I've never had a gang tag on here, and I feel like the time is now and the thread is this one.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Happy National Donut day everyone.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JaddaCaddra posted:

It's either going to be a train wreck, in which case we have this hatewatch thread to make the experience enjoyable, or it'll actually be good. The show wasn't really all that good past the second season, but it was carried by some pretty great performances and the occasional piece of good writing until around the sixth season. Season 4 is the best example of this. The moments with Trinity were great, thanks in large part to Lithgow's incredible performance, but everything else was a big pile of "meh" at best. The original showrunner is coming back and the main antagonist is being played by the always great Clancy Brown, so this season has the potential to be on par with 4, at least.

Think I read recently there's a potential for the show to come back for more than one season. I dunno if that was legit, but if it does, I sincerely hope they handle whatever supporting cast they have better than the last one. I think the hardest thing to ignore in retrospect was how flat the secondary characters were, and how little development they received over the course of 90+ episodes.

Except Quair. Quair was always evolving.

I think Clyde Phillips wanted once to have the show end with Dexter on death row. I wonder if he changed his mind. I don't think it could work anymore with what the show turned into.

Khablam posted:

Happy National Donut day everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyXQRqrq9g&t=24s

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i cant believe this show is really coming back lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about Quair!!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

itry posted:

I think Clyde Phillips wanted once to have the show end with Dexter on death row. I wonder if he changed his mind. I don't think it could work anymore with what the show turned into.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyXQRqrq9g&t=24s

Dexter being on death row at the end of this rebooted season would SORT OF make up for Season 7-8.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about Quair!!

I love that this is basically "I've forgotten more Dexter arcane lore than you will ever know" because wtf is a Quair?

For some reason I watched the entire run of the show (recently) without reading up on anything about it online. Can't wait to watch the next stuff as part of the peanut gallery.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
the first episode is just 45 minutes of this looped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJqDPaf31Gw

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blacula posted:

wtf is a Quair?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dexter is coming back: wtf is a Quair?

but seriously, wtf is quair?

Pillowpants posted:

Dexter being on death row at the end of this rebooted season would SORT OF make up for Season 7-8.

Nothing could make up for S7/S8.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quair = Quinn's hair which was at times I think so distracting and vastly different between seasons that, at least on here, in the Dexter threads, it became a character of its own.

I would love to see the first mention of it, but I have no idea where that'd be.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Quair = Quinn's hair which was at times I think so distracting and vastly different between seasons that, at least on here, in the Dexter threads, it became a character of its own.

I would love to see the first mention of it, but I have no idea where that'd be.

In other words, the only character who really changed over the course of this loving show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

In other words, the only character who really changed over the course of this loving show.

Precisely.

Edit: I could very well be mistaken, but I might've been the one to name Quair.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Keyboard Quinn is still one of the best things to come from this thread. It was created here right???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Keyboard Quinn is still one of the best things to come from this thread. It was created here right???

It was. So was Dexter in the 80s

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

quinn changed as often as quair, but it was idiosyncratic enough as to put him in uncanny valley territory

between seasons desmond harrington would shrink or balloon up on a trajectory very reminiscent of matthew perry on friends, while independently quair would align very closely with the fluctuating "miami cokehead" hairstyle trends of the day

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Definitively proving Desmond Harrington's coke addiction was the great unsolved mystery of the show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In general...

Quinn: "Yo, I'm filling in for Doakes, character wise. Because of this, I'm automatically suspicious of Dexter. What's his deal?"

Literally anyone else: "No, Dexter's ok. He's fine."

Quinn: "Oh, ok."

Meanwhile....

Quair: :coolspot:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Amazing.

I'll be sure to print out the responses, furiously circle the answers, and ponder the implications.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Quinn's 5minute relationship with Deb that he mourns for a full season was peak "we have no idea what to do with this character".

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The absolute, hands-down, 100% missed opportunity that literally everyone in these threads was on board with, was that Quinn totally knew Dexter was a serial killer and just assumed everyone else also knew so he was just going along with it.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Slamhound posted:

The absolute, hands-down, 100% missed opportunity that literally everyone in these threads was on board with, was that Quinn totally knew Dexter was a serial killer and just assumed everyone else also knew so he was just going along with it.

Aw man. Now I'm sad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lithgow to return for the revival. Thats interesting. I've had a suspicion that Dex is going to be a straight up villain this time around. We'll see.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Lithgow to return for the revival. Thats interesting. I've had a suspicion that Dex is going to be a straight up villain this time around. We'll see.

It'll be Head Trinity, along with Ghost Dad and probably Ghost Deb.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're gonna get all the ghosts. One from every season.

It's gonna be Buffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If that’s the route they’re going and we don’t get ghost Doakes why did they bother at all