Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPAH4T17qw

One of the original trailers for V has Da'at show up in the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always imagined SMT1 dude as a 19-year old university freshman, don't know why.

Edit: Da'at imeans we're getting Kabbalistic huh.

You know I always thought the series was heavy on the Christian imagery but

P3: Greek
P4: Japanese
P5: characters from novels (the fact that this is a “mythology” is a cool segment in itself)

Nocturne: Mix of Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto
SMT4 in my mind is the Christian one because you kill god

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh great like a week before the FFXIV expansion in the midst of the holiday season when I work retail. Just gently caress me up fam.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I forgot how much I hated the Amala Temple. I am being brutally reminded.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I always thought the series was heavy on the Christian imagery but

P3: Greek
P4: Japanese
P5: characters from novels (the fact that this is a “mythology” is a cool segment in itself)

Nocturne: Mix of Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto
SMT4 in my mind is the Christian one because you kill god

I know its not really super different but i think the smt concept of god is meant to pull more from jewish traditions then christian, since they call him YHVH and you literally cant speak his name and all. He is def very much more old testament then new in character

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It didn't hit me until the HD Remaster that Chiaki's entire outfit is made out of denim. :allears:

I appreciate that even in demon form, Chiaki's still rocking her jress, jirt and joots.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

I know its not really super different but i think the smt concept of god is meant to pull more from jewish traditions then christian, since they call him YHVH and you literally cant speak his name and all. He is def very much more old testament then new in character

In Apocalypse he seems to be explicitly Christian since he reads the beatitudes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YHVH is pretty influenced by gnostic thought. How explicit it is varies per game, but since the games got very explicit with the introduction of the Axiom, it's hard to see him as anything other than a demiurge.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spermando posted:

In Apocalypse he seems to be explicitly Christian since he reads the beatitudes.

Ah, i wouldnt have caught that as i have no clue what those are

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

blizzardvizard posted:

To be honest I'm a bit annoyed that we're going back to a high school student protagonist, but I guess I can't really be too mad about that. Excited regardless.

The only reason Flynn and Nanashi weren't also high school student protagonists was because the world already ended.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Are there any meaningful differences between the nocturne ps4/switch/pc releases?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Are there any meaningful differences between the nocturne ps4/switch/pc releases?

PC release is the vanilla OG release, sans Dante or Raidou, or any of the Labyrinth of Amala stuff entirely. DLC to upgrade to the Raidou version of Maniax is free.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I was kind of hoping more information leaked instead of just the basic premise from the 2020 reveal trailer. Oh well, excited to see some gameplay and new Doi Demons at E3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope we get HD models of some of the more out there redesigns from IV and Apocalypse like the four archangels.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

AngryRobotsInc posted:

PC release is the vanilla OG release, sans Dante or Raidou, or any of the Labyrinth of Amala stuff entirely. DLC to upgrade to the Raidou version of Maniax is free.

Oh, thats good to know...I wasn't even thinking about dlc, I was more questioning if there were performance issues or what have you

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

YHVH is pretty influenced by gnostic thought. How explicit it is varies per game, but since the games got very explicit with the introduction of the Axiom, it's hard to see him as anything other than a demiurge.

Nocturne is almost entirely pulled from gnosticism, with weird hints of Buddhism thrown in. Kagutsuchi = the Demiurge, reason = Logos, manikins = Hylians, etc. The best bit is that Lucifer and the Lady in Black are pretty explicitly based off of Jesus and Sophia.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Lucifer and the Lady in Black, at least visually, are inspired by Albert from Suspiria and Mrs Tremond and David Lynch's son from Twin Peaks.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 4, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spermando posted:

Twink Peaks.

Obviously I missed some real prestige tv at some point

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Whoops, that one has Mr Tremmond.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Assembly of Nihilo has some cool rear end music wow

Am I about halfway through? I’m still only about level 26 and I know you get to the 80s by endgame right?

I also haven’t done any of the Kalpa Amala stuff should I be doing those already

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Assembly of Nihilo has some cool rear end music wow

Am I about halfway through? I’m still only about level 26 and I know you get to the 80s by endgame right?

I also haven’t done any of the Kalpa Amala stuff should I be doing those already

I was Level 87 at the end of my Chronicles run, Level 76 when I finished my last run. 76 is more than high enough to beat the game.

76 was without any Labyrinth of Amal. You can do that whenever you want - if you wait till later, you can just breeze through the Kalpas without having to worry about dying.

You have a lot of main game left after Nihilo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Less than a third I'd say, if you haven't done any of the Kalpa's

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got it! Thanks

I did see you can do the Kalpa 1 pretty much now which at least breaks it up a bit maybe? Or do people recommend doing it all at once

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It doesn't really matter, but I think you'll burn yourself out if you do it all at once.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Got it! Thanks

I did see you can do the Kalpa 1 pretty much now which at least breaks it up a bit maybe? Or do people recommend doing it all at once

The game more or less expects you to do it as it unlocks, since fiends are mostly at areas around where you should be at the time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Do the maps get any better in Nocturne? Just at the hospital still but everything is a bland grey maze and looks the same and keep getting lost.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Edit: thought you meant the actual maps
Boxy maze-like interiors are a staple of the series. There's some really creative ones later on, but don't expect anything wild.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s built like a first person dungeon crawler but in third person. It’s all kinda boxy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barreft posted:

Do the maps get any better in Nocturne? Just at the hospital still but everything is a bland grey maze and looks the same and keep getting lost.

Nocturne has two or three good dungeons(the Prison, Obelisk and Amala Temple) and a lot of lovely ones.

The hospital had awesome music, at least. Love that song.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think what Nocturne lacks in visual variety in its dungeons (it's mostly all abandoned buildings or weird cube architecture) it makes up for in dungeon gimmicks. Kabukicho Prison is a great example of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I think that's true, Nocturne at leasts keeps them interesting. IV and IVa had a lot of real nothing dungeons, DDS hit a good midpoint between frustrating and unique.

P3 and 4 had terrible dungeons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Strange Journey has my favorite dungeons but they may be a bit too cruel for most

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I think literally the second dungeon in Nocturne is pretty vibrant, compared to the rest. The Network or w/e.

But yeah it's the Amala Temple and Nihilo that stand out to me most.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I hate P5's dungeons with a passion.

Anyway, trip report on DeSu1, I tried to fiddle with the map on the Keisuke mission, used Devil Speed and Switch to try to remove Keisuke from the 4 enemies he spawns near and put him up with the cosplay girl, it was going ok except he got his 2 demons killed before I could get to him, then he wandered back into the fray and got one shot, so that was great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I think literally the second dungeon in Nocturne is pretty vibrant, compared to the rest. The Network or w/e.

But yeah it's the Amala Temple and Nihilo that stand out to me most.

That one was honestly pretty uncharacteristically cruel compared to most Nocturne, on one had they give you plenty of free healing. On the other hand Locking you in a dungeon with no Fusion Mansion is really mean. Especially that early on.

hatty posted:

Strange Journey has my favorite dungeons but they may be a bit too cruel for most

They're very good, I think of the 3D games and the 2D games differently though.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Nocturne has two or three good dungeons(the Prison, Obelisk and Amala Temple) and a lot of lovely ones.

The hospital had awesome music, at least. Love that song.

The sheer disdain for the Diet building

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'm playing SMT4 and the game is really great but the Tokyo theme is some next level poo poo, I'm obsessed with it

I doubt anyone forgot what it sounds like

The only thing I don't like is all the covers/remixes I'm finding on YouTube slow it down which seems.... Bad

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 4, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's another grungy overworld theme later on that I love. The IV Apocalypse arrangement of the Tokyo theme is cool too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

Wow, its an honor to meet you, the one person who loves eridanus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I liked Eridanus.