Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

doverhog posted:

Didn't stop drinking completely, just imposed strict limits on when it's allowed. Can't interfere with my job or working out. Tonight tho I'm free and drinking some aniseed liquor. Back to work on Saturday.

Good, don't believe the AA bullshit that abstinence is the only option. You can control yourself fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
french customer service culture is better than american

you walk into a small shop, you say bonjour for coming into their space or you're an rear end, you don't wait for the employee to greet you and bow in tribute and beg you to let them help what you find what you need

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

french customer service culture is better than american

you walk into a small shop, you say bonjour for coming into their space or you're an rear end, you don't wait for the employee to greet you and bow in tribute and beg you to let them help what you find what you need

I feel Spain was like this too, though it's been a decade since I've been there.

Also, shopping late night in SE Asia, where you realise the shop is the front room of the owners house and grandpa is watching stories and there's a kid doing homework in the back corner.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Final Fantasy IX is a slog to actually play. The battles take forever because the animations are super slow and it’s the worst implementation of the ATB in the series. Going through the game sucks because it’s chock full of sidequests and little cutscenes that are either missable or a complete pain in the rear end to backtrack and do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Napoléon loving sucked but lmfao at people who stan the british and/or prussians as being better

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stanning the Hapsburgs is the chad move

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Elissimpark posted:

Also, shopping late night in SE Asia, where you realise the shop is the front room of the owners house and grandpa is watching stories and there's a kid doing homework in the back corner.

Had a fantastic meal in Mexico that was served on a family's backporch. They ran the local convenience store out of the front room. The husband met us and spoke with us for a while and said that they ran an unofficial restaurant that was basically pay to eat meals with the family. It was awesome and various local guys would come by for lunches during the week so we met some really nice locals.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The PYF food thread should be titled Post Your Flavorites.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
all streamers are boring

e: asab

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lotron posted:

all streamers are boring

e: asab

counterpoint: there is a dude named justblazin who plays EU4 at an amazingly high level while constantly taking massive bong rips

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

counterpoint: there is a dude named justblazin who plays EU4 at an amazingly high level while constantly taking massive bong rips

That's not a counterpoint.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
No they are seriously massive bong rips. The dude must have approximately all the tolerance and is just trying to maintain via replacing oxygen with weed smoke.

But no you're right it's still boring.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

theatre should just be performed conservatively i.e. julius caesar wears a toga and macbeth has a kilt and stuff because anything else distracts from the delivery of the lines. set design and costumes are super boring and theatre just by itself already tends to be boring. i enjoy theatre when its just a good actor playing a character but modern theatre is more like live action yaoi with pyrotechnics which is fine if it's once or twice for people who enjoy that stuff but not every play

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

theatre should just be performed conservatively i.e. julius caesar wears a toga and macbeth has a kilt and stuff because anything else distracts from the delivery of the lines. set design and costumes are super boring and theatre just by itself already tends to be boring. i enjoy theatre when its just a good actor playing a character but modern theatre is more like live action yaoi with pyrotechnics which is fine if it's once or twice for people who enjoy that stuff but not every play
The only good theater is community theater where everyone is either 75 years old and retired or 17 and convinced they'll be on broadway. They have to do a seasonal run of Arsenic and Old Lace or the board will resign.

You really got to see Actors ACTING there and it's always better than big city professional theater for it. People doing theater for free very much love stagecraft and they're better at it than people give credit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

actually julius caesar and macbeth should both be wearing contemporaneous clothing to the time and place the show is being performed, if you are acting conservatively

As a community theatre nerd I agree with fizzymercury though.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jun 5, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Podcasts don’t need theme songs and if they insist on having one it should be twenty seconds at longest

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Podcasts don't need to spend 3 minutes explaining how to download the podcast.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Podcasts don’t need theme songs and if they insist on having one it should be twenty seconds at longest

I've never listened to a podcast but 20 seconds is looooooooooooong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Podcasts should use the Nosleep model.

The free episodes have one ad at the beginning, usually extremely lame and unfunny but done by the cast of the podcast. Alternatively, you pay 20ish bucks once a year and get double-length, no-add podcasts plus a few bonus episodes. It amounts to like 50 hours of content so pretty good deal, plus no recurring patreon bullshit, plus no hosts or voice actors hocking podcast networks and subscription boxes at you. I do not want to hear a podcaster desperately pretending they love razors and underwear deliveries every month.

Honestly who the hell is buying all of these goddam subscription boxes? I know a few people who tried and hated the food ones, who is ordering Harry's Razors and poo poo?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

thetoughestbean posted:

Counter point. They should either be 5 seconds or less, OR, be EXACTLY 30 seconds, so that the common fast forward option skips you right to the end of it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have the actually unpopular opinion that podcast intro songs are very frequently the best part of them.

Podcasts are terribly boring unless a legitimate comedian or professional radio host are involved. And even then they desperately, without fail, need an editor that means it. You're not really listening to all that faff and you know it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most mnemonics are worse than useless. They actively make it harder to memorise the information.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

I have the actually unpopular opinion that podcast intro songs are very frequently the best part of them.

Podcasts are terribly boring unless a legitimate comedian or professional radio host are involved. And even then they desperately, without fail, need an editor that means it. You're not really listening to all that faff and you know it.

Podcasts by professionals mostly blow chunks. I will use as my example the History of Rome/Revolutions guy who had a rocky start, got good at podcastin', got published, and has sucked and sucked more and more since.

Good lord the next time someone tries to talk to me about the french revolution and it's immediately obvious their knowledge starts and ends at the podcast

Like gently caress, at least podcast guy acknowledges that he's a dumbass american who struggles to pronounce such obscure and exotic french as "Georges Jacques Danton," his listeners think they are all experts

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Jun 6, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've only ever found them useful for remembering the order of things, like the OBAFGKM stellar classification one. Even then it's not really that useful because tests never ask you to write them in order, they ask specific facts about them like mean temperature of an O star etc.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I pretty much unironically agree with this

https://twitter.com/derek8185338005/status/1401392161375940612?s=19

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best podcast is of course in our tine with melvyn bragg although hes at his best when its a historical subject and not so much when its science

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. should get rid of the penny and the nickel and round all cash transactions to ten cents.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. should get rid of the penny and the nickel and round all cash transactions to ten cents.

No that's stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d say it makes cents

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Shibawanko posted:

the best podcast is of course in our tine with melvyn bragg although hes at his best when its a historical subject and not so much when its science

I listen to “In Our Time” because every other podcast about academic topics is terrible but he cannot process any subtlety in historical interpretation and heaven forbid you suggest that the British were not the best at anything and everything to him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

No that's stupid.

It's actually very smart

The US should, however, keep archaic cotton disease vector dollars instead of plastic monopoly money like what the goddam foreigners use

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

College professors should not be allowed to require students to figure out some piece of software just for their class. If they have an assignment like "Over the course of the semester you'll be putting together a timeline about your chosen topic! Go to Timelyne.com, make an account, link it to your school account, watch the tutorial videos, and use their bespoke timeline-creation tools to create your timeline!" you should immediately be refunded the entire cost of the class and be given full course credit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Brahms is boring

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The oatmeal raisin cookie was invented to convince people that delicious oatmeal cookies are actually bad by putting gross raisins in them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Put more salt in and they become amazing. People never use enough salt in their cookies

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have come to despise fiction with Harry Potter-esque settings where there’s around four different groups for readers to easily slot themselves into, especially when each group is defined by having a few key personality traits like they’re zodiac signs. It’s lazy world building that encourages overly-simplistic worldviews

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

thetoughestbean posted:

I have come to despise fiction with Harry Potter-esque settings where there’s around four different groups for readers to easily slot themselves into, especially when each group is defined by having a few key personality traits like they’re zodiac signs. It’s lazy world building that encourages overly-simplistic worldviews

I forget the exact quote, but there was a tweet to the effect of "According to Hogwarts all children are either brave, clever, evil, or boring".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

I prefer fiction where there are two opposing political entities and people are divided up between them purely through circumstance so there are selfish and cruel and noble and good people on both sides

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is that a thing outside of Harry Potter?

PHUO: slytherin has the coolest robes, coolest animal, and the rest of the wizards were all nazis and cops too so really, they are the best

Draco Malfoy owns what he is, Harry Potter pretends to be better while casually mindwiping untermenschen

The baddies cast the instant painless death spell, the good guys will light you on fire, petrify, and disintegrate you, and call you a bitch while you die horrifically

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Is there some reasoning by which Slytherin and Voldemort are actually good?

Similar to how in SW the Republic and the Jedi were pretty poo poo and the Empire actually did bring order.