Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Its so loving funny that people keep posting this sincerely.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bit of an image dump coming but god drat "high level nocturnal lights" delivered

Another fast mover from the 1890s, and green fireballs above nuclear and other secret facilities alarm the FBI in the late 1940s!

"we must conclude something unusual is going on"

Stuff like this hits different now as well

In closing I thought this fella might be good luck when I ran into him at home depot today while shopping for dirt and hell maybe he was

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

quote:

In the field of Astrobiology, the precise location, prevalence and age of potential extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) have not been explicitly explored. Here, we address these inquiries using an empirical galactic simulation model to analyze the spatial-temporal variations and the prevalence of potential ETI within the Galaxy. This model estimates the occurrence of ETI, providing guidance on where to look for intelligent life in the Search for ETI (SETI) with a set of criteria, including well-established astrophysical properties of the Milky Way. Further, typically overlooked factors such as the process of abiogenesis, different evolutionary timescales and potential self-annihilation are incorporated to explore the growth propensity of ETI. We examine three major parameters: 1) the likelihood rate of abiogenesis ({\lambda}A); 2) evolutionary timescales (Tevo); and 3) probability of self-annihilation of complex life (Pann). We found Pann to be the most influential parameter determining the quantity and age of galactic intelligent life.

Our model simulation also identified a peak location for ETI at an annular region approximately 4 kpc from the Galactic center around 8 billion years (Gyrs), with complex life decreasing temporally and spatially from the peak point, asserting a high likelihood of intelligent life in the galactic inner disk. The simulated age distributions also suggest that most of the intelligent life in our galaxy are young, thus making observation or detection difficult.

from https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.07902

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Oh here's a fun one from the pentagon press briefing today
"Does the pentagon have alien bodies and crafts"
https://twitter.com/disclosureteam_/status/1400906044705054728?s=20

*Stammers* uh uuuuh whaaa

better recording here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGkQjmefGE&t=2157s

:bisonyes: this is the content I crave.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

WEH posted:

Bit of an image dump coming but god drat "high level nocturnal lights" delivered

Another fast mover from the 1890s, and green fireballs above nuclear and other secret facilities alarm the FBI in the late 1940s!

"we must conclude something unusual is going on"

Stuff like this hits different now as well

In closing I thought this fella might be good luck when I ran into him at home depot today while shopping for dirt and hell maybe he was

what is this from? googling "high level nocturnal lights" didnt turn up anything

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Can't wait for a piping hot Glenn take about how this is all an imperialist ruse.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

What if aliens have the tech to properly fold a fitted bedsheet.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Think Less posted:

what is this from? googling "high level nocturnal lights" didnt turn up anything

try searching for "high level nocturnal electromagnetic emissions"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is the stuff I'm all about
Seeing the "normality" of the world erode having to contemplate this stuff

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

try searching for "high level nocturnal electromagnetic emissions"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

If the report comes out without anything new or conclusive, with a classified addendum, and then the $UFO ETF skyrockets in value, I'll go ahead and take that as confirmation.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For the record this was a really good interview and Helene Cooper (who co-wrote the NYT piece and does interview with fighter pilots/pentagon officials and presumably whoever leaked this poo poo) ended with "do you really think the Russians or the Chinese could build this stuff without us finding out"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Think Less posted:

Remarkable Luminous Phenomena in Nature: A Catalog of Geophysical Anomalies by William Corliss

$24.95 on the site his kid still runs, otherwise its like $900 on amazon lol https://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
if that doesn't work just image search 'nocturnal emissions' and drill down from there

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

edit:

quote:

One of the primary open questions of astrobiology is whether there is extant or extinct life elsewhere the Solar System. Implicit in much of this work is that we are looking for microbial or, at best, unintelligent life, even though technological artifacts might be much easier to find. SETI work on searches for alien artifacts in the Solar System typically presumes that such artifacts would be of extrasolar origin, even though life is known to have existed in the Solar System, on Earth, for eons. But if a prior technological, perhaps spacefaring, species ever arose in the Solar System, it might have produced artifacts or other technosignatures that have survived to present day, meaning Solar System artifact SETI provides a potential path to resolving astrobiology's question. Here, I discuss the origins and possible locations for technosignatures of such a prior indigenous technological species, which might have arisen on ancient Earth or another body, such as a pre-greenhouse Venus or a wet Mars. In the case of Venus, the arrival of its global greenhouse and potential resurfacing might have erased all evidence of its existence on the Venusian surface. In the case of Earth, erosion and, ultimately, plate tectonics may have erased most such evidence if the species lived Gyr ago. Remaining indigenous technosignatures might be expected to be extremely old, limiting the places they might still be found to beneath the surfaces of Mars and the Moon, or in the outer Solar System.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.07263

Crusader has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Jun 4, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zisky posted:

That Hangar 12 doc is pretty badly made but if you look at incidents during the Vietnam War with "enemy helicopters" they're pretty much identical (in a lot of cases) to what we're seeing today.

Future history pod cast drones filming for the official record.

Now I wanna see it

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

WEH posted:

Remarkable Luminous Phenomena in Nature: A Catalog of Geophysical Anomalies by William Corliss

$24.95 on the site his kid still runs, otherwise its like $900 on amazon lol https://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

Thank you!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Spergin Morlock posted:

guys what if someone just dosed all of those military sensor platforms with LSD?

then the acid wasn't any good we still have all those guns and tanks and not a giant Phish mobile stage

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

That's actually a really fascinating read. I'd never really explicitly considered why people have such a hard time accepting the possibility of alien life beyond the explicit government propaganda that bombarded us for decades.

But that it's actually capable of just shattering someone's mental hierarchy is probably the exact same reason I enjoy the possibility so much. Look at what being "the top" has gotten us

It also makes the question "why let this out if we don't know" all the more baffling, it does completely undermine the authority of the government and the military.

It's either "we have no choice" or "this can be used to further entrench our power" right? And I don't see the benefit here when it comes at the expense of, as the article suggests, undermining the taboo they worked so hard to create

All the answers I have about “why let this out” that make any sense are really contingent on Bob Bigelow being a big donor to Harry Reid and being enough of a freak about this poo poo to convince the Senste Majority Leader that there was something really going on.

But the paper is excellent and gets at the mindset the government and cop-brained people cultivate about this poo poo. But I guess it fails to examine why almost all other governments on earth are at least agnostic. The USA was a real outlier in its refusal to publicly consider the ETH.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

This is cool poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WEH posted:

real web 1.0 vibe

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

humans give themselves too much credit for thinking we got it all figured out. but for a world spanning imperial capitalism to work out you gotta have some confidence. at a minimum it’s a sign of ruling class decay in America. Maybe there’s ETs too though.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The fact they've been around for so long and that China and Russia are still heavily invested in anti-ship ballistic missiles, hypersonic cruise missiles, and supercavitating torpedoes 100% immediately rules out it being foreign technology in my mind. Why waste money on that stuff over the years if you can hurl a single tictac at a carrier and blow it to smithereens with kinetic energy alone?

Either it is aliens, a strange natural phenomenon we have no explanation for, or the pilots over the years are full of poo poo and its stuff like party balloons miraging in the sun. Or Ecuador's military has been much, much more advanced than we ever knew...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems to be pretty consistently getting the end of the hour airplay

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
sorry, an aside, are supercavitating torpedoes a thing? cavitation is really loud, you'd think non-cavitating torpedoes would be the goal

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
we should be discussing the time traveler possibility more imo

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Either it is aliens, a strange natural phenomenon we have no explanation for, or the pilots over the years are full of poo poo and its stuff like party balloons miraging in the sun. Or Ecuador's military has been much, much more advanced than we ever knew...

tic tacs were invented in italy..... perhaps the answer is right there in front of our faces....mama mia

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

we should be discussing the time traveler possibility more imo

I still think they’re mods

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

sorry, an aside, are supercavitating torpedoes a thing? cavitation is really loud, you'd think non-cavitating torpedoes would be the goal

plus cavitating propellers (at least on the surface) generally lose most of their propulsive thrust so I probably don't understand what is even meant by supercavitating

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

They were a ~scary~ thing back in like 2007 when iran and china (iirc) were working on them. Them being loud doesn't matter because they go too fast to avoid even if you hear them coming.

I think hypersonic missiles supplanted them as the next scary ship killer in any case.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sour patch kids are super cavitating

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i want to believe

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bilirubin posted:

plus cavitating propellers (at least on the surface) generally lose most of their propulsive thrust so I probably don't understand what is even meant by supercavitating

they create a cavitation bubble at the front of the torpedo to reduce friction on the surface. it basically flies underwater

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they're called hydrosonic missiles

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

they create a cavitation bubble at the front of the torpedo to reduce friction on the surface. it basically flies underwater

Yeah imagine a missile that flies underwater, impossible to avoid via maneuvering and impossible to intercept

Ironically I think trump saying "hydrosonic missiles" was his good brane misremembering this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i've read that the US has had supercavitating torpedoes for a while now but hasn't publicly said so