Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
that looks like exactly the one I need, I'll see if I can hold out for a sale, thanks man

e: you all have to deal with my dry bbq snipe, I'll promise you just like I promised everyone else that the ThermoPro said the butt was only at 180. it could happen to YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Stalizard posted:

that looks like exactly the one I need, I'll see if I can hold out for a sale, thanks man

e: you all have to deal with my dry bbq snipe, I'll promise you just like I promised everyone else that the ThermoPro said the butt was only at 180. it could happen to YOU!

Funny - I also had the ThermoPro before upgrading to the Smoke. It's night and day. And to add some pics, I had a busy cooking weekend...

Spareribs:

Pork tenderloin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

I just slam them 6 hours straight at 275 then start doing the bend test, but not a minute before. No crutching, no checking, no adding more wood.

this is pretty close to what I usually do but I wanted to finally experiment with the butcher paper to see if I could improve them further. sometimes it did seem like the outer edges can get a bit dry?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Those spareribs I did were six hours at 250 and they were absolutely perfect.

Also, I will totally recommend using a mix of apple and cherry wood. Just a fantastic sweetness added.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I got this thing and it seems very accurate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M6CB1KD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CEMDPJB8N5X0D7Y0D17H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I have the ThermoPro TP08S and I've been pleased with it for less than $40.

We had our first blue crabs of the season yesterday which were the real star, but I threw on some chicken thighs for dinner and they were aces.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brrrisssskettttt

Was a 12lb Costco prime packer, trimmed about 4lbs of fat, slammed at 275 for 10 hours with no crutch. Perfection.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That bark looks flawless, great job.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

NomNomNom posted:

Brrrisssskettttt

Was a 12lb Costco prime packer, trimmed about 4lbs of fat, slammed at 275 for 10 hours with no crutch. Perfection.

Agh, now I want to do another one. I could only find a choice flat last time... will be on the hunt now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Didn't take pics cuz I was intoxicated and we devoured it right away, but my first brisket turned out fine. Definitely room to grow but overall a success. I woke up randomly at 4 a.m. and think it was Barbecue Jesus or my ancestors or some poo poo because I was able to catch that my fire had gone out and save the brisket. But I crutched when I shouldnt have so it sat in the cooler all day and dried out a bit on me.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I agree that 3-2-1 ends up with mushy ribs. IMO just do 6~ hours unwrapped and take off when they pass the bend test

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I want to get a fan/controller for my 22" WSM, but also have the Smoke + their wifi connector thing which takes care of monitoring and graphing if I want it.

With that in mind, any suggestions? The DigiQ DX3, or something even more basic? I don't really like the idea of my fan/controller requiring a connection to my phone to hold temp.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

qutius posted:

I want to get a fan/controller for my 22" WSM, but also have the Smoke + their wifi connector thing which takes care of monitoring and graphing if I want it.

With that in mind, any suggestions? The DigiQ DX3, or something even more basic? I don't really like the idea of my fan/controller requiring a connection to my phone to hold temp.

Why wouldn't you just get a Billows? I'm going from memory here but it's compatible with the Smoke, right?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dango Bango posted:

Why wouldn't you just get a Billows? I'm going from memory here but it's compatible with the Smoke, right?

I wish! The Billows isn't compatible with the original Smoke

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

qutius posted:

I have nothing but good things to say about the Fireboard 2 Drive with the Pit Viper Fan. I use this setup on my WSM 18" and it works great.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Random Hero posted:

I have nothing but good things to say about the Fireboard 2 Drive with the Pit Viper Fan. I use this setup on my WSM 18" and it works great.

I suppose I can just ditch the Smoke and upgrade all together. See if I can't sell the old gear and use that money to buy meat!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This weekend is looking up! Never smoked short ribs, hopefully they are OK pre-cut like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those are some long rear end short ribs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Random Hero posted:

I really want one of those guys for my WSM 14, but it seems nutso to pay more for a blower than we did for the smoker.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

This weekend is looking up! Never smoked short ribs, hopefully they are OK pre-cut like that.

Beef short ribs like that are probably my favorite smoke, after salmon. Hit em with a big ole black pepper/salt rub the night before and make sure to be patient with em all the way to 203, the reward is worth the wait.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have about a pound or so of habanero cheddar in a big block. Is there some sort of smoked meat treat I should use it for?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That'd be pretty good sliced on a brisket sandwich, or smoked turkey breast imo. Could you cold smoke the cheese itself?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I haven't been able to contribute any pics to this here fine smoking thread on account of gifting my off-set stickburner to a friend before going back to school in the US in 2015, so consider this post to be an attempt at making amends.

My initial purchase decision was driven my having a well-insulated small-time smokebox so I could hit my meat with a hint of smoke before finishing it off in the oven since I live in a high-rise residential area and would like to avoid annoying my neighbors to the point where I get evicted.
As I posted earlier in the thread, the Masterbuilt "Dual-Fuel" smoker intrigued me because it would offer me the opportunity to cold-smoke AND hot-smoke with constant temperature (through the propane option) without covering everyone in smoke from my 2nd story balcony.

Just after I pulled the trigger on this thing, I googled "smokeless" briquettes and came across coconut-shell briquettes, and that's just about the point where I decided to see how hard I could tiptoe the line of emission-transgression in a residential area.
Turns out these little devils can't just hold a temp, but actually perform

The natural next step was a couple of test-runs with these underrated Shisha-briquettes to smoke some Merguez, Mackerels, Salmon, Bacon-skewers, etc.

(The ribs ended up with an absolutely amazing taste, but comparatively bad consistency, since have zero experience with 6-hour-straight-up smoking and usually do a 3-1-1 approach)

The next logical step was to cold-smoke some salmon-jerky before throwing it on the dehydrator

And to do some drumsticks

Since I've been lighting up my briquettes with a fairly-audible gas-torch, I was wondering whether I could fly even lower under the radar, so I enlisted the help of some more Shisha-accessories, and grabbed an odd coil-burner to light up my brand new perforated AND hexagonal briquettes. I fully assumed I was off to the deep-end with my stupid purchases at this point.

There's no way this actually works out, is there?

Okay, never loving mind.

Turns out a single one of these 60x200mm briquettes (split threeways) can easily hold 200°F for 2 goddamn hours in my smoker. Consider me impressed.
Gonna abuse the thunderstorm we're supposed to be getting tomorrow to smoke some more test-meat.

tl;dr: Just because you live in a residential area in Germany, you need not give up the luxury of smoking meats with fossil fuels

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
As someone who lives in an apartment, I'm very interested in your adventures in stealth barbecue

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where are you that using combustible materials on the deck of a multifamily dwelling isn’t against the fire code?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Where are you that using combustible materials on the deck of a multifamily dwelling isn’t against the fire code?

Are you ein Polizist? You have to tell me if you are, you know?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jokes aside, local ordinance for the residential complex and my lease contract allows open flame on the balcony, but this does not - however - give you carte blanche to light the gently caress up regardless of the circumstances, because city- and state law still applies.

This means that annoying anyone around you to any degree with "emissions" can count as a violation. That fact, coupled with my desire to not be an rear end in a top hat to my neighbors, led to my attempts to fly under the radar as low as possible.

The folks in this complex will bbq pretty much every weekend, with several folks above and beside me owning gas grills (that still yield some solid smoke pollution due to burnt grease drippings etc.), so my goal was to not even be noticed outside of "cooked-food-smells".

And with these stupidly energy-intensive and all but smokeless Shisha-Tier briquettes, it looks like it may work out nicely thus far.

/Edit: in case you were referring to the possibility of lit coals in the vicinity of a propane tank, that wouldn't be how this smoker is designed to work and I've completely ditched the idea anyway.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 4, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well I called my local fire department and city planners office when getting my ceramic grill and both of them said it was fine to put on my deck. Not sure where you are, but it was something i was concerned about too but was told it's not against code.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Very location dependent. In Toronto, technically bbqs are allowed (building might have other rules... ), what's not allowed is propane cylinders in enclosed spaces - like inside at all - some places claim just elevators, so you can lug them up stairs but all indoors are technically considered enclosed spaces - this is why you don't bring them into a gas station to be swapped/filled.

So you can have the bbq, just no fuel unless you lug it up via rope or something. (some condos actually have natural gas lines installed to get around this).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The international fire code specifies no charcoal or propane grills used within 10 feet of attached dwellings (and never in balconies), and no propane cylinders over the 1 quart (maybe 2?) size may be stored on one. Not all localities subscribe to that though. There are exceptions for non combustible construction and sprinklered decks and patios though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Re: propane, the last four times I’ve exchanged any number of tanks, I’ve gotten at least one bum tank. I’m pretty sure the tanks are the problem because I’ll hook up another one and it’ll end up just fine, but I’m sick of lugging and returning full tanks to the store or gas station and getting them to refund or do a free exchange. All blue rhino tanks too.

I have a propane line (we have propane cooking inside and a buried tank in front that is refilled every so often) sticking out a pillar on my back patio. I’m giving serious thought to calling up a plumber to hook it up to my grill.

The line isn’t anywhere near where I keep the grill and I won’t move the grill there as it’s too close to the table on our patio and that’s not ideal for myriad reasons. So I brainstormed with my plumber buddy, and he came up with the idea of getting a retracting reel and anchoring it to the pillar, and a propane hose that I can just pull out and attach to the grill when I use it—and then just a quick pull on it and off it goes. I’m very excited to do this and never ever have to buy or exchange another loving propane tank ever.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
That sounds like a decent plan, but how long is that hose going to be? Are you gonna purge that hose after everytime you grill. I wouldnt want a 50ft hose full of propane just hangin out until you grill again. What about a more permenent hard line that you bury?

Just throwin some ideas out there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Use hard line right up until you cannot. It can withstand the pressure, temperature, doesn't degrade over time, doesn't rot from weather, doesn't have to be purged when not in use, and is electrically grounded. Then get a pigtail or soft line to the grill. Having a flexible propane line more than a few feet long would be tedious.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 5, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

That sounds like a decent plan, but how long is that hose going to be? Are you gonna purge that hose after everytime you grill. I wouldnt want a 50ft hose full of propane just hangin out until you grill again. What about a more permenent hard line that you bury?

Just throwin some ideas out there.

um excuse me posted:

Use hard line right up until you cannot. It can withstand the pressure, temperature, doesn't degrade over time, doesn't rot from weather, doesn't have to be purged when not in use, and is electrically grounded. Then get a pigtail or soft line to the grill. Having a flexible propane line more than a few feet long would be tedious.

gently caress, I didn’t think about that. It would be about 9-10ft, and across concrete. Meaning the hard line would have to come down from the valve, go left at the slab, back toward the ground, buried, go about 4ft and then come to the slab again and turn into flex line which would be about 3-4ft to the grill. I wouldn’t know how to purge the line, I guess my plumber buddy could show me but honestly he probably meant hard line anyway. You’re right, I probably don’t want it to be all flex line.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

life is killing me posted:

gently caress, I didn’t think about that. It would be about 9-10ft, and across concrete. Meaning the hard line would have to come down from the valve, go left at the slab, back toward the ground, buried, go about 4ft and then come to the slab again and turn into flex line which would be about 3-4ft to the grill. I wouldn’t know how to purge the line, I guess my plumber buddy could show me but honestly he probably meant hard line anyway. You’re right, I probably don’t want it to be all flex line.

Purging really just means emptying the line of propane. You shut off the valve at connection from the pillar to the pipe going to the grill and let your grill burn out whats left. That length would hold a decent amount and i personally wouldnt want a flexible exposed line with gas in it. If you bury a hard line, then you wouldnt have to worry and you can put a valve right by your grill.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The international fire code specifies no charcoal or propane grills used within 10 feet of attached dwellings (and never in balconies), and no propane cylinders over the 1 quart (maybe 2?) size may be stored on one. Not all localities subscribe to that though. There are exceptions for non combustible construction and sprinklered decks and patios though.

FWIW, this building and its balconies are as non-combustible as it gets, and the local ordinances (also the HOA-equivalent regulations for US-goons, I guess) reflect that. Gas, electric and charcoal are within legal restrictions here, but that's not really the constraining issue.
"Annoying" anyone can easily yield a complaint under the "emissions law", which overrules anything you're generally allowed, which is why my main goal of this dumb endeavor was to see if I can operate a smoker without anyone really noticing outside of that sweet, sweet BBQ smell.

Quick update:
Despite trying out the perforated coconut-shell-briquettes yesterday, I opted to stick with the hookah-tier-cubes I've worked with in the past week on account of having some experience in controlling temps with them.
They light up just as well on the cheap-rear end coil plate I got, so maintaining 230°F is reasonably easy: (let's not talk about how I use my discarded case-fans)

Got two racks of ribs and a pork neck roleplaying as a boston butt for this last trial run on the smoker

Trying to go real-easy on the hickory sawdust, I periodically (about every half hour) throw a sprinkle into the firebox to keep the smoke going without creating obnoxious plumes. It's been fairly windy today, so I could get away with it.

Looks pretty decent for even light-but-constant smoke. The one thing I realized too late was that since I didn't have my briquettes centered under the drip pan, but very close to the door, the door-side-ribs were getting a lot more heat than the ribs in the rear. Oh well, lessons learned.

Temps are looking okay, but I do get some spikes, since I still don't entirely have the "refuelling" with these little hookah-bricks down quite yet.

Thermometer is a ThermPro TP20 that I think I saw recommended a couple of years back, and it seems to serve my purposes just fine, though I'm thinking about shelling out some extra money for a Thermowerks and "retiring" the TP20 to the kitchen for regular oven-work.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hit the stall on the neck, about to pull these meaty-loving-ribs

The thunderstorm that was forecast to hit us this morning has finally made its way here, so I feel like I can get away with going absolutely nuts with the smoke while it's raining cats and dogs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smoking some ribs today and with my bellows I can’t keep the temp down on my BGE. Maybe the gaskets? It’s sitting at like 300 even though it’s set to 230. It’s hot out today (30C) but that shouldn’t make that much difference IMO.

I’m sure the ribs will be fine, but it’s frustrating!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just put my brisket flat on @ 225. Going to let it go overnight and add the point and spare ribs in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Flat was at 160 when I checked at 6am. Drizzled with some tallow I rendered yesterday from the trimmings, then double wrapped and threw back on. Added the short ribs and point, and those are coming along nicely.