Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
posting about posts is worse than posting about ufos

(this post included what a goddamned terrible snipe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Some of my favorite posts in this thread was when we were talking about aliens based on silicone chemistry and it was all hypothetical spit balling about first defining what was possible with that chemistry and then working backwards to figure out what a planet that could support that chemistry would look like.

That is great aliens talk. This alien talk is less fun.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's nothing woo about life evolving on other planets and sending ships out. We've only been at it ourselves for ~60 years and we're already putting helicopters on Mars and building giant space telescopes.

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more likely that there are artifacts from prior technological civilizations indigenous to this star system floating around out there than us being visited currently by ET intelligence

here's a cool paper (is that what it is? I don't know I'm stupid) I got from the c-spam ufo thread which is somehow more informative than this one right now

https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.07263

quote:

One of the primary open questions of astrobiology is whether there is extant or extinct life elsewhere the Solar System. Implicit in much of this work is that we are looking for microbial or, at best, unintelligent life, even though technological artifacts might be much easier to find. SETI work on searches for alien artifacts in the Solar System typically presumes that such artifacts would be of extrasolar origin, even though life is known to have existed in the Solar System, on Earth, for eons. But if a prior technological, perhaps spacefaring, species ever arose in the Solar System, it might have produced artifacts or other technosignatures that have survived to present day, meaning Solar System artifact SETI provides a potential path to resolving astrobiology's question. Here, I discuss the origins and possible locations for technosignatures of such a prior indigenous technological species, which might have arisen on ancient Earth or another body, such as a pre-greenhouse Venus or a wet Mars. In the case of Venus, the arrival of its global greenhouse and potential resurfacing might have erased all evidence of its existence on the Venusian surface. In the case of Earth, erosion and, ultimately, plate tectonics may have erased most such evidence if the species lived Gyr ago. Remaining indigenous technosignatures might be expected to be extremely old, limiting the places they might still be found to beneath the surfaces of Mars and the Moon, or in the outer Solar System.

my apologies if this has been posted here and I missed it!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
In an effort to be the poster I want to see in this thread, here's a wonderful video overview of the recently published Dark Energy Survey

https://youtu.be/IHMFDxLcMYs

It turns out that dark matter distribution is smooth and not clumpy.

They're only through three of six years of data, but they published 30+ papers from their findings.

Tighclops posted:

I think it's more likely that there are artifacts from prior technological civilizations indigenous to this star system floating around out there than us being visited currently by ET intelligence

here's a cool paper (is that what it is? I don't know I'm stupid) I got from the c-spam ufo thread which is somehow more informative than this one right now

This is an angle that is at least plausible. I've never seen it explored as a concept in good faith, only ancient alien and reptile crap.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 5, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Well, looks like NASA has been briefed a couple years ago on these things and has publically announced they are going to be doing a fresh investigation into them, as per their new leader guy. And China also said they have been experiencing them, calling them '‘unidentified air conditions' and noting there has been an increase in sightings in recent years. I can't wait to hear Neil Degrasse Tyson's take on NASA taking them seriously.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

Some of my favorite posts in this thread was when we were talking about aliens based on silicone chemistry and it was all hypothetical spit balling about first defining what was possible with that chemistry and then working backwards to figure out what a planet that could support that chemistry would look like.

That is great aliens talk. This alien talk is less fun.

This alien talk is being made less fun by a tedious rear end in a top hat or two. Both kinds of alien talk are great and interesting and suit the purpose of the thread. I admit I got drawn into it by those tedious assholes and became one myself, but I’ve been avoiding that for a bit now. If you don’t like the posts do the adult thing and talk about it calmly or skim past them like everyone else does in other threads with broad topics (not aimed at you Dameius).

That said, there is a lot of bad evidence for the pro-alien side and there are incidences of the us gov in particular lying their asses off. The debunking is cool and it’s one reason why I’m reading the thread. I’d also love another silicon based life derail!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

In an effort to be the poster I want to see in this thread, here's a wonderful video overview of the recently published Dark Energy Survey

https://youtu.be/IHMFDxLcMYs

It turns out that dark matter distribution is smooth and not clumpy.

They're only through three of six years of data, but they published 30+ papers from their findings.
This is an angle that is at least plausible. I've never seen it explored as a concept in good faith, only ancient alien and reptile crap.

Here’s another paper covering similar ground: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...B8F4339F7C70EC6

Basically, there’s not great evidence for anything they predict, but it’s fun and spooky-sublime to think about.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

This alien talk is being made less fun by a tedious rear end in a top hat or two. Both kinds of alien talk are great and interesting and suit the purpose of the thread. I admit I got drawn into it by those tedious assholes and became one myself, but I’ve been avoiding that for a bit now. If you don’t like the posts do the adult thing and talk about it calmly or skim past them like everyone else does in other threads with broad topics (not aimed at you Dameius).

That said, there is a lot of bad evidence for the pro-alien side and there are incidences of the us gov in particular lying their asses off. The debunking is cool and it’s one reason why I’m reading the thread. I’d also love another silicon based life derail!

Yeah for whatever reason this thread can't move past this poo poo not being aliens.

I wish we had a materials engineer who hung around and could help focus a talk on a assumption that a drone was designed for maximal aerial performance, what would that look like? Or designed to shield as much of it's waste output as it could, how much and in what spectrums could it realistically block?

Like clearly this round of poo poo isn't aliens, but as a lay person I have no idea of what would even be the realistic limits of materials science for human made, but not manned vehicles could be.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dameius posted:

Yeah for whatever reason this thread can't move past this poo poo not being aliens.

I wish we had a materials engineer who hung around and could help focus a talk on a assumption that a drone was designed for maximal aerial performance, what would that look like? Or designed to shield as much of it's waste output as it could, how much and in what spectrums could it realistically block?

Like clearly this round of poo poo isn't aliens, but as a lay person I have no idea of what would even be the realistic limits of materials science for human made, but not manned vehicles could be.
The thing is, you really couldn't have a drone designed for maximal aerial performance that could pull off what we're seeing unless there has been some secret advancement in tech that's just crazy. Like, hundreds or thousands of years ahead. It doesn't compute. You can't move a drone that fast. It has to be some software glitch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

The thing is, you really couldn't have a drone designed for maximal aerial performance that could pull off what we're seeing unless there has been some secret advancement in tech that's just crazy. Like, hundreds or thousands of years ahead. It doesn't compute. You can't move a drone that fast. It has to be some software glitch.

Yeah I get that, I'm not saying these are physics defying drones. I'm saying what would the bleeding edge of human achievement even look like (because it isn't this)? This stuff can be disqualified without having to go down this avenue but maybe something in the future is less obviously impossible and I'd just like to have a better idea of what actually is possible. Again, as a lay person my bullshit alarm can handle stuff at obvious extremes, but what about when it its more muddied?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dameius posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer with a very good understanding of thermodynamics, thermal storage, heat pumps, and other thermal technologies.

We have no method of masking thermal radiation beyond moving that heat to a radiator and letting thermal radiation and convection take the heat away, or moving it into some sort of thermal mass where it can be stored.

The amount of power required to move a small drone around would exceed it's cooling capacity, and would appear very bright in thermal spectrum.

If it wanted to get rid of that heat it would have large radiating surfaces to get rid of the heat. It is now a large drone with obvious radiators, which would be also very obviously warm.

Luckily the simple explanation is balloons.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dameius posted:

Yeah I get that, I'm not saying these are physics defying drones. I'm saying what would the bleeding edge of human achievement even look like (because it isn't this)? This stuff can be disqualified without having to go down this avenue but maybe something in the future is less obviously impossible and I'd just like to have a better idea of what actually is possible. Again, as a lay person my bullshit alarm can handle stuff at obvious extremes, but what about when it its more muddied?
Oh right. Yeah I'm on the same page. Well, since this is the most science-minded thread on Space in SA, I do have a science question and it's this:

There is a subjective experience which occurs quite often in nature and on Earth. Even if you believe it's only human which are any sort of sentient it's still quite common.

And if you grant other animals some gradient of sentience or awareness then it's abundant. And it's when an intelligence observes a phenomenon they can't account for. Say, an ant's experience of a human. Or a bird watching a human city. It's probably not even going into the "what is that?" Or "I don't know" box, it's probably going into the "... well, it's not food or threat or my kind so I can ignore it" box.

I think, I could be wrong, I'm a layperson. I'm thinking of when humans obverse stuff before science could explain it, and attributed the gap to gods, etc. Is there a concrete name or term for this experience? Something that's jargon and not just "unaccounted sensory experience"? I'm sure it's common enough in animal behavioral studies and such to warrant a term. But I'm not sure. This loops back around to the current discussion because A) I feel we've been incredibly privileged to be born into a time/place where we rarely have to suffer this experience for long. Scientific advancement has pushed the gap/mystery quite far from everyday human experiences.

For example, we can explain a rainbow but can't really explain quantum poo poo but that's quite unobserved to the average human. And B) Perhaps what we're experiencing here with the UAP stuff is exactly this. I'm not presuming it's an intelligence or aliens, I'm saying it's weird poo poo that is unexplained, so far, and it's strongly in the box of "we don't know" but also feels like it could be in the same box as what animals have with their ".. well, it's not food or threat or my kind so I can ignore it" box?

Sorry for the extended, gradular query about what is properly just semantics playing a little silly with my thoughts, but I really feel like there is a term for this poo poo that has a precedent in science, particularly animal, biological, psychological or philosophy of mind (not really science but you know) science?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Oh right. Yeah I'm on the same page. Well, since this is the most science-minded thread on Space in SA, I do have a science question and it's this:

There is a subjective experience which occurs quite often in nature and on Earth. Even if you believe it's only human which are any sort of sentient it's still quite common.

And if you grant other animals some gradient of sentience or awareness then it's abundant. And it's when an intelligence observes a phenomenon they can't account for. Say, an ant's experience of a human. Or a bird watching a human city. It's probably not even going into the "what is that?" Or "I don't know" box, it's probably going into the "... well, it's not food or threat or my kind so I can ignore it" box.

I think, I could be wrong, I'm a layperson. I'm thinking of when humans obverse stuff before science could explain it, and attributed the gap to gods, etc. Is there a concrete name or term for this experience? Something that's jargon and not just "unaccounted sensory experience"? I'm sure it's common enough in animal behavioral studies and such to warrant a term. But I'm not sure. This loops back around to the current discussion because A) I feel we've been incredibly privileged to be born into a time/place where we rarely have to suffer this experience for long. Scientific advancement has pushed the gap/mystery quite far from everyday human experiences.

For example, we can explain a rainbow but can't really explain quantum poo poo but that's quite unobserved to the average human. And B) Perhaps what we're experiencing here with the UAP stuff is exactly this. I'm not presuming it's an intelligence or aliens, I'm saying it's weird poo poo that is unexplained, so far, and it's strongly in the box of "we don't know" but also feels like it could be in the same box as what animals have with their ".. well, it's not food or threat or my kind so I can ignore it" box?

Sorry for the extended, gradular query about what is properly just semantics playing a little silly with my thoughts, but I really feel like there is a term for this poo poo that has a precedent in science, particularly animal, biological, psychological or philosophy of mind (not really science but you know) science?

I think you're looking for the word uncanny.

Something unknown that makes us uncomfortable or on edge.

Like the uncanny valley for robots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley?wprov=sfla1

The discussion of UFOs is definitely butting up against the uncanny elements of the world.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think you're looking for the word uncanny.

Something unknown that makes us uncomfortable or on edge.

Like the uncanny valley for robots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley?wprov=sfla1

The discussion of UFOs is definitely butting up against the uncanny elements of the world.
Hmm, thank you, I do appreciate this. But I feel I'm looking for another word. Like, if a biologist was writing a paper on how an animal treats different objects. They may say "they recognized this as food and treated it as such, we know because they exhibited so-and-so behaviour." or "they then decide such-and-such-object was a threat, and we may reasonably assume this because of their subsequent behaviour". But if it's an object that's, like, a human to an ant, or a car to a bird, or a hammer to an octopus*, then they may say "they didn't see the object as anything special so they ignored it. The object was [x] to them." What is x here? It isn't always uncanny. And it isn't always synonymous with 'landscape' or 'ground' or whatever. It's dot dot dot.
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edS_ygfEbqU

edit: and I guess a grouping element/feature of these objects that are encountered might be 'it looked or exhibited behaviour that was beyond the animals comprehension.'

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 5, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer with a very good understanding of thermodynamics, thermal storage, heat pumps, and other thermal technologies.

We have no method of masking thermal radiation beyond moving that heat to a radiator and letting thermal radiation and convection take the heat away, or moving it into some sort of thermal mass where it can be stored.

The amount of power required to move a small drone around would exceed it's cooling capacity, and would appear very bright in thermal spectrum.

If it wanted to get rid of that heat it would have large radiating surfaces to get rid of the heat. It is now a large drone with obvious radiators, which would be also very obviously warm.

Jet propulsion I would imagine would have a very long tail in the thermal spectrum. What about something prop based using ICE or electrified prop based?

Could a battery powered prop based drone have a small enough or maybe different enough thermal signature that it'd just not present in a way our detectors would be calibrated to look for.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Hmm, thank you, I do appreciate this. But I feel I'm looking for another word. Like, if a biologist was writing a paper on how an animal treats different objects. They may say "they recognized this as food and treated it as such, we know because they exhibited so-and-so behaviour." or "they then decide such-and-such-object was a threat, and we may reasonably assume this because of their subsequent behaviour". But if it's an object that's, like, a human to an ant, or a car to a bird, or a hammer to an octopus*, then they may say "they didn't see the object as anything special so they ignored it. The object was [x] to them." What is x here? It isn't always uncanny. And it isn't always synonymous with 'landscape' or 'ground' or whatever. It's dot dot dot.

edit: and I guess a grouping element/feature of these objects that are encountered might be 'it looked or exhibited behaviour that was beyond the animals comprehension.'

There's some really good studies on agency detection. Basically how our brains determine if something is alive or not. Basically we react to an object as an "agent" if it doesn't have predictable motion.

Awe, Uncertainty, and Agency Detection: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797613501884
The Role of Agency Detection in the Invention of Supernatural Beings: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-15223-8_13
Agency detection in predictive minds: a virtual reality study : https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/2153599X.2017.1378709

Dameius posted:

Jet propulsion I would imagine would have a very long tail in the thermal spectrum. What about something prop based using ICE or electrified prop based?

Could a battery powered prop based drone have a small enough or maybe different enough thermal signature that it'd just not present in a way our detectors would be calibrated to look for.

Yes, jets are spitting out hot air as a means of thrust, so they are very obvious. Prop engines get hot because of the engine expending fuel to produce mechanical work, same for electrical but less so potentially. Prop planes use air for cooling as well, so you will still see a trail of hot gas from the engine.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's some really good studies on agency detection. Basically how our brains determine if something is alive or not. Basically we react to an object as an "agent" if it doesn't have predictable motion.

Awe, Uncertainty, and Agency Detection: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0956797613501884
The Role of Agency Detection in the Invention of Supernatural Beings: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-15223-8_13
Agency detection in predictive minds: a virtual reality study : https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/2153599X.2017.1378709
Yes, jets are spitting out hot air as a means of thrust, so they are very obvious. Prop engines get hot because of the engine expending fuel to produce mechanical work, same for electrical but less so potentially. Prop planes use air for cooling as well, so you will still see a trail of hot gas from the engine.
OK! Thank you so much, this isn't the exact jargon I'm looking for. Which is somewhat like "uncanny, agent-like, non-threat" but probably what I mean. Chur!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Alright, let's say you had unlimited budget and a spec goal of designing a drone that just needed 30 minutes to maybe an hour of performance. It'll be delivered as payload to its field of operation.

You can't use air cooling. Is there anything you can even think of that is floating around in the industry that you think might have a shot at filling that role? Some kind novel coolant that is wildly impractical and would never get used outside of proof of concept for commercial purposes?

I have the feeling that the answer is no, but just wondering what kind of interesting poo poo may have been looked into before.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dameius posted:

Alright, let's say you had unlimited budget and a spec goal of designing a drone that just needed 30 minutes to maybe an hour of performance. It'll be delivered as payload to its field of operation.

You can't use air cooling. Is there anything you can even think of that is floating around in the industry that you think might have a shot at filling that role? Some kind novel coolant that is wildly impractical and would never get used outside of proof of concept for commercial purposes?

I have the feeling that the answer is no, but just wondering what kind of interesting poo poo may have been looked into before.

Its more of a fundamentals problem. A coolant is usually a means of taking heat out of a system and dumping it into something that can dissipate it quickly. Even if you have a coolant or storage system with a ludicrous specific heat capacity, wherever the heat is going is getting hotter and hotter each second. If you aren't dumping it overboard you start to run up against material and mechanical failure pretty quick.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Its more of a fundamentals problem. A coolant is usually a means of taking heat out of a system and dumping it into something that can dissipate it quickly. Even if you have a coolant or storage system with a ludicrous specific heat capacity, wherever the heat is going is getting hotter and hotter each second. If you aren't dumping it overboard you start to run up against material and mechanical failure pretty quick.

So at least as far as propulsion is concerned, we can be pretty confident to near absolute certain (I'll always leave some wiggle room just in case, no matter how likely it'll ever be needed) that regardless of design, spec, purpose, or overall performance -there will be some kind of distinctive thermal output, or else we've reached the point of novel physics/chemistry beyond human knowledge, and/or impossible based on our knowledge. Yeah?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dameius posted:

So at least as far as propulsion is concerned, we can be pretty confident to near absolute certain (I'll always leave some wiggle room just in case, no matter how likely it'll ever be needed) that regardless of design, spec, purpose, or overall performance -there will be some kind of distinctive thermal output, or else we've reached the point of novel physics/chemistry beyond human knowledge, and/or impossible based on our knowledge. Yeah?

Things that are physically there have to interact with the physical universe in some way as far as we know. If there were a machine that could do what the navy videos appear to show, its creators could use whatever they’re using to avoid friction and heat to make like free energy and teleporters and things way more useful than a weird airplane. No country with that kind of technology would waste it on observation of countries it could obliterate by ruining the world economy by just making it available to everyone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lampsacus posted:

i’d wager there’s no single word or phrase that really refers to the phenomenon you’re describing. animals tend to classify things as food/threat/mate/family/other depending on their clade and complexity.

but i think the key idea here is context - the animals lack the context, or proper reference frames, to understand something that is completely alien to their environment (well to the extent that they can perceive it at all, can an ant really ‘see’ a whole human? debatable). once they categorize it as not food and not threat, the response might vary. they might ignore it, they might play with it, etc.

there’s lots of times where this happens with humans, too. we will ignore or play with things we don’t understand or whose natures we are unable to conceive.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wow, on behalf of the thread let me thank you for taking the time to share your keen engineering insight with the rest of us scientifically illiterate morons. You've cracked the case and definitely know what you're talking about.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wow, on behalf of the thread let me thank you for taking the time to share your keen engineering insight with the rest of us scientifically illiterate morons. You've cracked the case and definitely know what you're talking about.

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the veal, And don’t forget to tip your servers.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dameius posted:

I mean, then you run into the fact of where are all these drones being launched/controlled from? No drone has the range or control range to reach San Diego unless it's from Mexico or something.

Aside from another division of the US military using the navy as a test ground for advanced drones (which honestly is very possible)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Carl Sagan's legacy has spoken; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XmPC1PTDRo
I must say, it's good to have a real scientist have an opinion on these uaps. Lets get back to living in this guy's world please

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dameius posted:

There's a couple of things at play here, I'm going to give a stab at them and hopefully it'll be helpful to somebody. (And yes I'm going to cut some corners to try and make it more understandable, don't beat me up :ohdear:)

First part, there's the laws of thermo-dynamics, which unfortunately tend to come up whenever one is trying to move things around, for instance. When you're floating in water, or when a cosmonaut is floating around in the zero-gee of a spacecraft, you have to actively do something to move around. A swimmer uses her muscles to exert force against the surrounding liquid, and the cosmonaut can fling a wrench or a boot away from himself, utilizing Newton's third law and making themselves move in the opposite direction.

A somewhat pop-sci version of the first two laws of thermo-dynamics (there's a third one but let's not get carried away) are 1 "you can't win" and 2 "you can't break even". By 1, we mean that you can't get something out of nothing, i.e. you can't get more energy (in the physics sense which isn't always intuitive) out of a heat engine than you've put into one. A "heat engine" here can be the swimmer's muscles or a car's engine, essentially things one uses to transform energy such as chemical (or even nuclear!) into motion, which interests us UFO-watchers. So, as per law 1, you can only get a car to move as much as you can shove gasoline in one to burn it, or charge an electric car's battery, or how much propellant you put in the rear end-end of a missile. Law #2 is the meaner one, it says that no heat engine can ever use all its fuel towards what it's meant to do (from the engineer's perspective), and there's always some lost to "waste heat". (Generally speaking this is even without nasty things like friction etc., so if an alien species figures out a way around this, that'd be novel physics indeed) In the real world perpetual motion machines etc. tend to be thwarted by mundane things like friction, so either way, the engine of the alien probe would be generating some "waste heat" (like infra-red radiation, exhaust, other chemical waste products...), and especially if it's zooming around super-fast, even a tiny fraction of waste energy would mean a lot of heat too, relatively speaking.

Now, from an engineering perspective (especially in a sci-fi setting), facing this, you basically have two options. Either you work actively to expel the waste heat somehow (your refrigerator or your car expels heat, using up energy in the process), or you rig up something to temporarily store it. I swear I've read some sci-fi story where the protagonist is flying a space ship close to a star or something, and they're shoving all their excess heat into a storage unit made out of unobtainium that's slowly becoming hotter than the surface of the nearby star, and this is a problem! If your drone is meant to last for 30 minutes, maybe this'd be a viable option, and a nifty way to self-destruct the probe at the end of the mission to boot, but in the end the heat is still released and would be observable anywhere near humans or human instrumentation.

The second part is, roughly speaking, rocketry. The cosmonaut in a zero-gee spacecraft utilizing Newton's third principle with his or her shoe is expelling propellant using chemical energy, and this enables them to move in the opposite direction. The cosmonaut also expels some waste heat since it's hard work tossing shoes, and some of their hard work is lost struggling against the friction of the atmosphere inside their space-craft, as per above, but more importantly, they only have so many shoes. A bicycle is a terrestrial version of converting chemical energy of a human body into mechanical work and propulsion, and a car is a similar contraption, turning dead trilobites into small explosions which move pistons and said movement is mechanically conveyed to wheels. You can see all the places for friction to mess things up here, and this is why engineers are so gung-ho about lubricants and such. Now, when it comes to moving really fast, one solution humanity found was a rocket. There you transform chemical energy really fast into expanding, usually burning, gases and the like, and you shoot 'em out a nozzle which makes the container and the nuclear bomb slash tiny capsule of cosmonauts on the other end move forward. Now, needless to say, compared to our ambient temperature atmosphere the rocket engine puts out a lot of heat, and would be (and is!) fairly visible to all sorts of instruments, including the human eyeball. We also have things like helicopters and airplanes which utilize the atmosphere in less violent ways, but they also involve engines that again emit waste heat in some form or another. Balloons are the most innocuous everyday examples, moving where the winds blow, but if one wants to guide them, usually the solution involves moving bits and pieces around and we get back to the heat problem.

So, for novel alien tech, there's a couple of magic/advanced tech "solutions". If the alien probe contains a tiny wormhole, they could just be shooting all their excess heat into the cold vacuum of space somewhere (this seems like a silly way to use a matter-transporting wormhole, but maybe aliens work in mysterious ways?), and I suppose if they used some kind of propellers or whatnot that were made of room-temperature superconductors they could also transport most of their air friction heat into the wormhole too. Another way out would be a "reactionless drive", which sort of by-passes the whole rocketry problem by essentially violating Newton's third and moving about without opposite reaction. This could mean some kind of space-time warpy device that folds space in a clever way (i.e. some kind of "gravity drive"), or maybe something like how Magneto from X-Men can "fly" utilizing his mastery of magnetism...Somehow. It's not exactly clear to me how Magneto's flying ability is meant to work, but let's assume he's using his body's chemical energy somehow to make opposite magnetic fields to the Earth's magnetic field or whatever, but either way you'd think he'd break out a sweat at some point. And the gravity drives are beyond my pay grade, GR gives me a head-ache, but they'd still probably need a power source of some kind.

This is not in response to you, but I must re-iterate my irritation with aliens who would go through all this trouble with magic tech however, since if you're doing first contact, you're supposed to make freaking contact :argh:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ironically, if the properties being ascribed to these UFOs were less magical, it would make them more likely to be aliens.

If they had been putting out boat loads of heats, a huge plume of argon or whatever and a clear photo shot, then those are what you would maybe expect from a real craft.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let's be honest here, the people who even entertain the idea of aliens are so far down the motivated reasoning hole that they can't properly evaluate actual evidence. They also get super defensive that you have dared to object to their opinion and that they are victims and being silenced by anyone not willing to entertain the idea that it could actually be aliens.

It's like the conservative / conspiracy theorist victim complex applied to aliens.

You just don't see the truth maaaaan

Can we please for the love of things that are actually interesting and relayed to space, ban UFO stuff to its own thread.

Let's be honest here, the people who are 100% convinced it could never be aliens are so far down the motivated reasoning hole that they can't properly evaluate actual evidence. They also get super defensive that you have dared to object to their opinion and that they are victims and being silenced by anyone not willing to entertain the idea that aliens aren't real.

It's like the conservative / conspiracy theorist victim complex applied to aliens.

Can we please for the love of things that are actually interesting and relayed to space, ban Anti-UFO stuff to its own thread.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well, we don't have this and can't do this.

Luckily the simple explanation is aliens.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 5, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Rappaport posted:

I swear I've read some sci-fi story where the protagonist is flying a space ship close to a star or something, and they're shoving all their excess heat into a storage unit made out of unobtainium that's slowly becoming hotter than the surface of the nearby star, and this is a problem! If your drone is meant to last for 30 minutes, maybe this'd be a viable option, and a nifty way to self-destruct the probe at the end of the mission to boot, but in the end the heat is still released and would be observable anywhere near humans or human instrumentation.

That sounds like the Normandy, the black ops kinda super space ship from Mass Effect, it uses "Element Zero" as coolant for a stealth system, which when it has a current passed through it produces dark energy and lowers or raises mass within the field. Even then they have to shoot the coolant out when it gets to the star like temperatures, which gives them a time limit on the stealth per usage.

Could be something else that inspired Mass Effect.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 5, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure even if it was, it was drowned in endless UFO-chat, so re-posting it was a good idea anyway!

I think I read a recent Scientific American article mentioning this paper, but I hadn't had the time reading it. Looks like it's time to rectify this!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hm, maybe we could have a this thread and then a new space thread which bans all alien talk; uap, recent ufo stuff, hypothetical aliens elsewhere in the universe, etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lampsacus posted:

Hm, maybe we could have a this thread and then a new space thread which bans all alien talk; uap, recent ufo stuff, hypothetical aliens elsewhere in the universe, etc.

Right now you’re trying to “debate” that god exists based on people claiming they’ve witnessed miracles. That is not a debate.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

You gotta admit though, if there's really little green men zipping around in our atmosphere breaking the laws of physics and they came all this way just to anally probe some rednecks then that's pretty :stare: they're probably into some hosed up poo poo man. You can't prove them aliens didn't come here to molest jimbob.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right now you’re trying to “debate” that god exists based on people claiming they’ve witnessed miracles. That is not a debate.
No, I'm not. Please don't put that on me. I don't think the recent UAP sightings are aliens. My position is, I don't know what they are. Stop doing this weird thing where you keep trying to tell people what they believe or are trying to argue. thx.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Isn't there an Elon Musk megathread somewhere on SA already? And more seriously, "hypothetical life somewhere in the cosmos outside planet Earth" is a few degrees removed from Apophis landing his pyramid on the Red Square.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Isn't there an Elon Musk megathread somewhere on SA already? And more seriously, "hypothetical life somewhere in the cosmos outside planet Earth" is a few degrees removed from Apophis landing his pyramid on the Red Square.
Ah, I didn't know what you were talking about with Aphohis and googling ending up on this page; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

posted:

On February 15, 2016, Sabit Saitgarayev, of the Makeyev Rocket Design Bureau, announced intentions to use Russian ICBMs to target relatively small near-Earth objects. Although the report stated that likely targets would be between the 20 to 50 metres in size, it was also stated that 99942 Apophis would be an object subject to tests by the program
:11tea:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Let's be honest here, the people who are 100% convinced it could never be aliens are so far down the motivated reasoning hole that they can't properly evaluate actual evidence. They also get super defensive that you have dared to object to their opinion and that they are victims and being silenced by anyone not willing to entertain the idea that aliens aren't real.

Can we please for the love of things that are actually interesting and relayed to space, ban Anti-UFO stuff to its own thread.
Well, we don't have this and can't do this.

Luckily the simple explanation is aliens.

And the wise man bowed his head and said
"There's actually zero difference between scientific scepticism and magical thinking, you fool, you absolute buffoon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lampsacus posted:

No, I'm not. Please don't put that on me. I don't think the recent UAP sightings are aliens. My position is, I don't know what they are. Stop doing this weird thing where you keep trying to tell people what they believe or are trying to argue. thx.

But my eyewitness testimony