Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BonHair posted:

This is why you should respond to people saying stuff sucks by saying "nah, it's actually bad [unlike getting your dick sucked]". There's a lot of these more key homophobic ways of calling things bad that should be changed to meaning they're good.
For example, I just got screwed at my job: I got a raise because my boss likes my work. Getting screwed implies the speaker, originally mostly men, getting hosed. And last I checked, having sex is a good thing.

I had a co-worker years ago who emigrated to Australia from Poland in the mid-90s. He spoke English but didn't know the idioms well. He was leaving work on a Friday afternoon to go get some beers and bumped into another worker who had just been called to an emergency shutdown of one of their plants. He said "oh that's no good, well I'm off for a beer!", to which the reply was a joking "ahh get hosed". He replied "yeah you too, hope we all get laid this weekend!"

edit: look at that snipe. Here, have a selection from the vault.

Memento has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Guess what day it is? Yeah, that's right.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I genuinely heard "that sucks dick" before I ever heard anyone say "that sucks"

The dick was assumed

“Sucks” was a huge deal in the ‘90s, especially in newspaper comics for some reason. I know at least one Zits strip was pulled or censored because it was said by the teenage protagonist.

Also there was recently a discussion about the homophobic/misogynist roots of swears like this in one thread or another, and I think we all agreed that “second-rate cocksucker” was both gender-neutral and pro-blowjobs.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

my all time favorite version of that meme:

brain got hands

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Also there was recently a discussion about the homophobic/misogynist roots of swears like this in one thread or another, and I think we all agreed that “second-rate cocksucker” was both gender-neutral and pro-blowjobs.

I've been trying to use "cockbiter". I mean, who wants their dick bitten? (almost) nobody.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've always wondered about "pain in the rear end" to be honest. Could just be old timey reference to piles or some poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It involves bread and donkeys

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

It involves bread and donkeys

Wasn't that something to do with the fall of Rome?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

flavor.flv posted:

Guess what day it is? Yeah, that's right.

badly cropped beardie friday?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bike tory posted:

I've always wondered about "pain in the rear end" to be honest. Could just be old timey reference to piles or some poo poo.

That one seems more tenuous. I mean, a pain in the arse is when something's annoying, right? It's not exactly like "ugh, buttfucked again, how annoying".

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I figured pain in the rear end was just being sore from some sort of manual labor. Annoying and useless

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Hodgepodge posted:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Amphibolurinae you fuckin loooseeerrrrs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nice try, Disney.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pain in the arse def is about trying to maneuver a hard tack and salt pork deuce past your hemorrhoids

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

noice

there should be a :noice:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont know what that means

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah whenever I look at the picture both panels look the same?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hihohe posted:

I dont know what that means

It's the behavior of particles when observed and unobserved.

Unless you didn't know what the other thing means, in which case it's a Key & Peele sketch and/or a Brooklyn Nine Nine reference.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Think it is the double slit experiment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

It is, but only if you observe it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

rydiafan posted:

It's the behavior of particles when observed and unobserved.

I always wonder why there aren't more freakouts about this. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I always wonder why there aren't more freakouts about this. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!

"observing" is more complicated than "looking at it" (outside of funny jokes about the idea like this one), which has lead to a lot of bad interpretation of quantum physics

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

rydiafan posted:

Scrolling through that website I see zero new comics, just reposts of stuff from 30 years ago.

You gotta hit the tab labeled "New Stuff": https://www.thefarside.com/new-stuff

There's no set schedule, he just sometimes posts art whenever he feels like it

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

:v:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

The following is a gross over-simplification that the true physics nerds would get angry about if they see me use it but I think it's a decent way to make sense of this as a layman if you don't care about digging further:

The experiment is not about observation, it is about particle interaction. There doesn't need to be a human observer or anything.

If the experiment is done "in the dark" one pattern appears on the board.

However if you "observe" it, that is, if you put a light on it so you can see what is going on, you are effectively shooting light particles at the particles that are going through the slit. And the other pattern appears. This is really not all that weird, since light particles have a similar amount of energy as the particles you're using for the experiment, so it makes sense that they affect each other somehow.

If you like to know more, such as all the ways in which the above explanation is wrong or incomplete, feel free to ask the experts in the physics thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah it’s only mystical because pop culture mischaracterizes it in a way that makes it mystical.

There is no way to gain information about a system without disrupting that system in some way. This only practically matters on a sub-microscopic level. Technically I can’t observe the pitch of a baseball without turning on a light or hitting it with RADAR, but it’s of little consequence because the baseball is so big that the interactions hardly do anything to its trajectory.

It’s like the laws of thermodynamics telling you that you can’t get energy from nothing, and no, that really clever idea your uncle had about magnets and mercury is no exception.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Jun 5, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calling bullshit, Little My should be auth right and Sniff should be swapped out for Stinky

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Stinky is there, but he blinked when the photo was taken.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JovannaGoette/status/1295911566513180673/photo/1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zil posted:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/ExSVxl3.gifv

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Perfection

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Goa Tse-tung posted:

It's called Occlusion Culling, it's in video games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day