Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brits out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Wait, you can get a seat in the British upper house for like $700,000? That's a pathetically low price for graft. Like, c'mon, you're the world's 5th largest economy, it should be at least eight figures.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Wait, you can get a seat in the British upper house for like $700,000? That's a pathetically low price for graft. Like, c'mon, you're the world's 5th largest economy, it should be at least eight figures.

Just more proof that the people destroying all of our lives are literally the dumbest, most incompetent motherfuckers on the planet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think a life peerage is all that great . what is the upside ? the social cache of a title I guess
it’s not hereditary

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

£300 per day for expenses so your trip back from non-dom belize pays for itself

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

There are 1BR apartments in London that cost more lol

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

I don’t think a life peerage is all that great . what is the upside ? the social cache of a title I guess
it’s not hereditary

Makes getting a good table in restaurants easier, greases the wheels at Fawlty Towers, the benefits are endless.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think it's one of those investments you get to make if you're already rich

it gives you pretty reliable and above-board access to a lot of powerful people, and it's got all sorts of pleasant fringe benefits. it's a good purchase if you've got a couple of million lying around

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

V. Illych L. posted:

it's got all sorts of pleasant fringe benefits

There's about 800 members of the Lords, which is ludicrously bloated; it's been called the most exclusive private member's club in London. You get a fixed stipend of about £300 for every day that you turn up at Parliament, so each day there's this ridiculous sight of members rocking up in taxis, signing in, then immediately loving off again.

People have been trying to abolish the House of Lords for literally over a century; it never happens, due to political inertia and the cosy corruption of being able to turn your long term allies/ donors into Lords.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

they just hate the left as much as we hate them, but they have the gumption and enough hands on the levers to actually do the purging when theyr in power
they were also considerably better at sabotage, barely any of my posts make it into the guardian oped page

they're very incompetent though so who knows what the result will be, they're doing a good job at sabotaging themselves

and yet many posters ITT would condemn Stalin for targeting wreckers

smdh some people never learn

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iirc Blair did substantially gut it

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

iirc Blair did substantially gut it

Blair got rid of the majority of the hereditary peers (well, they're still peers but most don't sit in the House of Lords), meaning it's now dominated by the life peers. The life peers who are almost entirely nominated by the parties in the Commons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1400881953042227203?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

they did say conservatives are trying to water it down, so I'm not sure what's so surprising about seeing keith there

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lobster God posted:

Blair got rid of the majority of the hereditary peers (well, they're still peers but most don't sit in the House of Lords), meaning it's now dominated by the life peers. The life peers who are almost entirely nominated by the parties in the Commons.

it's like the platonic ideal of blairism to do something that should be about eliminating the remaining power of the old aristocracy and ending up with creating a new and worse one instead

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Some dude on Twitter sent to to me, tag yourself.

I’m the Steampunk Republic of Cumberland.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

This keeps happening!

https://ibb.co/wNky0bh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 5, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cool clown maps for ants

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

good embedding job idiot

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i'm glad I cant read any of that, actually

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I believe in you PawParole

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PawParole posted:

Some dude on Twitter sent to to me, tag yourself.

I’m the Steampunk Republic of Cumberland.

better book myself an optometrist appt everything is all blurry this isn’t right

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

even the full screen version has text too blurry to read

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BETTER?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its genuinely a disgrace she's even in the party let alone an MP

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1401201334108491780?s=20

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

i think i preferred it when i couldnt read it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/M0kujin/status/1400919588540502025?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat got her, a hodge fan caught disliking Corbyn

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mate, i know that your gimmick is to be obtuse af, but at least put a little bit of effort in it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cerebral Bore posted:

mate, i know that your gimmick is to be obtuse af, but at least put a little bit of effort in it

no

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
margaret hodge is a shrill old bag who would batter you with a poker for not using a coaster imo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

crispix posted:

margaret hodge is a shrill old bag who would batter you with a poker for not using a coaster imo

Loved watching the news night badgering where Beckett just owns the two hostile questionnaires who cannot be bothered to explain why what he was doing (organizing against Unites enemies and paying activists) was illegal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

True story: Hodges' hatred of Corbyn originated back in the 80's when she became embroiled in a child abuse scandal when she was head of Islington's children's services. Jeremy Corbyn had recently been elected as MP for the area, so Hodge went to him to back her up as a fellow Labour party member. Corbyn looked into the details, was suitably horrified and told her that he thought she should resign. Hodge was furious and has never forgotten or forgiven him lol.

Note for additional lols: she subsequently mocked the victims in a newspaper article, causing two of them to successfully sue her for libel. The Labour party refused to pay the costs, which didn't improve her temper any.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

True story: Hodges' hatred of Corbyn originated back in the 80's when she became embroiled in a child abuse scandal when she was head of Islington's children's services. Jeremy Corbyn had recently been elected as MP for the area, so Hodge went to him to back her up as a fellow Labour party member. Corbyn looked into the details, was suitably horrified and told her that he thought she should resign. Hodge was furious and has never forgotten or forgiven him lol.

Note for additional lols: she subsequently mocked the victims in a newspaper article, causing two of them to successfully sue her for libel. The Labour party refused to pay the costs, which didn't improve her temper any.

Added to this they had a debate in front of a crowd over clause IV and she got so badly owned the crowd was cheering for Corbyn

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

Added to this they had a debate in front of a crowd over clause IV and she got so badly owned the crowd was cheering for Corbyn

Didn't she pull a shooter mcgavin and start berating the crowd for their lack of decorum lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

apparently yeah lol

https://twitter.com/ForTheMany2020/status/1019583767927762944

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

more evidence that anyone involved in NUS should be banned from real politics

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

more evidence that anyone involved in NUS should be banned from real politics