Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

it's a risk you have to be able to take. i mean, there was a chance that covid would have turned out to be nothing. obviously..... that didnt happen lmao. but lots of people were hedging at the time, i remember it clearly.

I'm not saying the thread is wrong about this being a big loving deal, I'm saying everyone will act like it is unless and probably even if the aliens land on the whitehouse lawn.

My actual, serious speculation on the reason for this whole media push is that it is, actually, exactly that they say it is: There's something flying around that the military does not understand, and they're doing their best to legitimize reporting it instead of having pilots that see a UAP treated like a joke. I also don't think it's going to work, at least not quickly. The military will probably manage a reasonable change of culture, though I couldn't say if it'll last, but everyone outside is just going to say "lol aliens, sure" just like half this thread, and things will go nowhere. I'm also very pessimistic though so I'm probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hatebag posted:

Aliens only like jojo, akira, and a couple seasons of ranma

*aliens that like Attack on Titan begin the Earth rumbling*

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I, for one, will be getting vaccinated for aliens

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

I, for one, will be getting vaccinated for aliens

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tekne posted:

Yeah, the first thing we noticed were the hosed up clouds crossing a bridge towards the refinery, as they were really bright like something was illuminating them from the inside and also seemingly low in elevation. As we began to pass the refinery, my friend who was driving said "look!" and that's when I caught a glimpse of the object above poking out of the clouds. The exposed portion looked cylindrical with a silvery metallic sheen and huge rectangular panels oriented vertically that pulsed red/orange from what I remember. It was also long enough to extend past my vision looking upward from the car. The whole thing was surreal as hell and my bud did not want to stop to get a better look.

Please consider submitting your cool as hell report to nuforc! I've seen more than a few singular reports end up being backed up by people looking for what they saw years ago. You could also check out mufon's records but their search is a lot more involved

Bullfrog posted:

The only possible UAP sightings I have are two, from roughly the same era, around 2013 / 14.

1. at my college town, there were a series of hovering red/orange lights over the wisconsin side of the Mississippi river, hovering in a strange formation. At the time, a small music festival was going on in that direction so i just assumed they were drones or something. but the number of them, maybe 8 or so, was weird. i looked on mufon just recently and there is at least one report that matches this during the same timeframe.

2. a red light rapidly ascended and then descended as i was walking to visit a friend across campus. i asked if they saw it and they said they did. im pretty sure this one was in fact a drone.

please cross check them on nuforc!! i have zero affiliation with nuforc but its such an easy database to search by state and time

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Lampsacus posted:

I am interested to know if the uap report will include the supposed high-definition footage/photographs taken of the ALIENS. Because that would be cool. At the very least it will probably have a bunch of text reports of consistent sightings which would also be cool.

But will it be cool enough?

I don't see how the confiscated Nimitz stuff from 2004 could still reasonably be deemed top secret or whatever but even then I highly doubt it.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

WEH posted:

Please consider submitting your cool as hell report to nuforc! I've seen more than a few singular reports end up being backed up by people looking for what they saw years ago. You could also check out mufon's records but their search is a lot more involved
please cross check them on nuforc!! i have zero affiliation with nuforc but its such an easy database to search by state and time

woops, thats what i meant when i said mufon. number 1 on my post matches up with this one relatively closely though i cant confirm the exact date or details http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/097/S97586.html

i do remember them, in fact, fading in and out.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

WEH posted:

I'll consider it. In my attempts to convince myself we didn't have a shared hallucination, I've found that sightings around oil refineries aren't exactly uncommon. That would track with all the reports with activity being heightened around nuclear reactors and other industrial or military sites.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

woops, thats what i meant when i said mufon. number 1 on my post matches up with this one relatively closely though i cant confirm the exact date or details http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/097/S97586.html

i do remember them, in fact, fading in and out.

:hellyeah:

Tekne posted:

I'll consider it. In my attempts to convince myself we didn't have a shared hallucination, I've found that sightings around oil refineries aren't exactly uncommon. That would track with all the reports with activity being heightened around nuclear reactors and other industrial or military sites.

Fair enough!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if it’s underwater beings that tracks with them shutting down nukes and stuff. I can’t explain why they allow oil tankers tho

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

For everybody having a lil crack ping about this, think about the exponential nature of covid. First, it - suddenly it's everywhere and a Thing. Perhaps this will be similar. Or, it might really be the peak now, or perhaps when the report drops, and then that's it, back to normal. Who is to say.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if its underwater aliens they would have wiped us out by now for filling their home with garfield phones and beanie babies

its non human time travelers, the next intelligent race to rise on this dead gay earth come back to find out what caused that dark grease stain on the geological record

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
This being A Thing that is officially acknowledged to exist will have a huge effect on the public imagination. It is correct to note that the initial attention will wear off relatively quickly. But there will be a lot more general interest in the subject, and conversation can't exactly be shut down by spock cosplayers very easily when the dominant military force on the planet is willing to take the subject seriously.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am genuinely curious as to what could come out which would explain this away. Maybe a report from NASA or somesuch proving the footage was all software glitches or newfound limitations of the equipment. Or maybe admitting its a black project. Maybe if they came out and said 'it was a weather balloon', check Mick West's youtube videos.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Lampsacus posted:

I am genuinely curious as to what could come out which would explain this away. Maybe a report from NASA or somesuch proving the footage was all software glitches or newfound limitations of the equipment. Or maybe admitting its a black project. Maybe if they came out and said 'it was a weather balloon', check Mick West's youtube videos.

it depends on exactly what phenomena they officially acknowledge, but im sure we'll get a better understanding of rare atmospheric phenomena from this as well as anything else.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Hodgepodge posted:

This being A Thing that is officially acknowledged to exist will have a huge effect on the public imagination. It is correct to note that the initial attention will wear off relatively quickly. But there will be a lot more general interest in the subject, and conversation can't exactly be shut down by spock cosplayers very easily when the dominant military force on the planet is willing to take the subject seriously.

alternatively, a vaguely positive report causes everyone to just double down hard on their previously-held beliefs, leading to a net increase in conflict and negative emotional energy in the world

even better if this somehow gets politicized like covid in america, bringing balkanization one step closer

Lampsacus posted:

assuming it's not full disclosure, i'm just hoping for better descriptions/clearer visual evidence. then you can start testing hypotheses about what's going on, and maybe prove that X phenomena can be caused by Y under Z conditions, to start narrowing things down

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Jun 5, 2021

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

alternatively, a vaguely positive report causes everyone to just double down hard on their previously-held beliefs, leading to a net increase in conflict and negative emotional energy in the world

even better if this somehow gets politicized like covid in america, bringing balkanization one step closer
assuming it's not full disclosure, i'm just hoping for better descriptions/clearer visual evidence. then you can start testing hypotheses about what's going on, and maybe prove that X phenomena can be caused by Y under Z conditions, to start narrowing things down

ron watkins is starting a wikileaks for aliens (something which is looked upon with extreme disgust in the ufo community) so i could see q drops suddenly pivot to "china contacted the aliens and is using them to mind-meld biden into instituting full communism"

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

The mudflood thing mostly seems like people being astonished to learn Washington, D.C. and other cities were built on a literal swamps and that American infrastructure has been crumbling steadily for decades. It reminds me of the Wayfair child trafficking conspiracy theory, where people were looking at the prices on Wayfair's site and saying "that much for a desk? No way, that's got to come with a kid stuffed in there"

I`m sorry for the 10 page reply but the point of the wayfair thing was the 15k shelves had the names of recently kidnapped children in the product listing. That's why people freaked.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
drat what if aliens really did do 9/11 but it was some important alien's kid drunk flying so they covered it up

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Mola Yam posted:

i think this will prompt people to take the subject more seriously. i doubt everyone will go straight to UFOs, especially people who think of themselves as skeptics.

if the evidence is of high enough quality on examination and difficult enough to explain with our understanding of physics, many skeptics will begin to consider aliens and similarly unusual hypotheticals due to the need to go beyond the usual in search of an explanation. most will probably nevertheless simply feel the matter is unresolved rather than believe this or that about them. but this would be a longer term effect.

i think the official admission of a mystery of this magnitude will be good for our collective psyche. even the wackos will get a bit of a healthy outlet, in the sense that they'll be able to express their ideas in ordinary conversation and have some chance of an actual exchange of ideas occurring, or at least a fun conversation.

also if we do start taking the idea that aliens are watching seriously, it might just put some pressure on us to clean up our act a little. we're a loving embarrassment of a species at the moment and while it may make no rational sense whatsoever, knowing that something smarter and more powerful than us is watching does in fact make being such utter shitlords that we're ruining our planet for life itself let alone future generations completely different. suddenly someone can judge us as at least an equal and they are, right now. and we're loving sad, no wonder they don't talk to us.

we're like someone who is strung out and drunk and shouting about how they'll suck dick for a fix and you feel bad for the poor fucker but you're not loving talking to them.

e: and you might be like "what if that's their thing," but from their perspective, we can't even consent. that's where it's at.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Jun 5, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

For everybody having a lil crack ping about this, think about the exponential nature of covid. First, it - suddenly it's everywhere and a Thing. Perhaps this will be similar. Or, it might really be the peak now, or perhaps when the report drops, and then that's it, back to normal. Who is to say.

the NY times article from 2017 was the equivalent of the first reported covid case back in december 2019 or whenever

the current report is like when tom hanks got covid

then u hit the india stage and its nonstop probing by interdimensional squidmen

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

squidmen

birdmen

lizardmen

show urselves

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

blatman posted:

if its underwater aliens they would have wiped us out by now for filling their home with garfield phones and beanie babies

its non human time travelers, the next intelligent race to rise on this dead gay earth come back to find out what caused that dark grease stain on the geological record

maybe they like garfield

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_(Garfield)

Alien is a one-time hidden antagonist character of the TV animated show Garfield and Friends.
History
He only appears near in the end of episode "Nighty Nightmare" when he abducts Garfield while he was looking for food. Garfield asks him if there something to eat. However, Alien reveals that he wants to fatten Garfield for the entire planet of Clarion and the alien's Thanksgiving dinner, causing him getting nervous and wishes to escape and see Odie and Jon again as he is being taken away from the earth. Garfield wakes up whilst denying being a meal himself for the entire planet of Clarion and the alien's Thanksgiving dinner and receives licks of Odie.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

i think this will prompt people to take the subject more seriously. i doubt everyone will go straight to UFOs, especially people who think of themselves as skeptics.

if the evidence is of high enough quality on examination and difficult enough to explain with our understanding of physics, many skeptics will begin to consider aliens and similarly unusual hypotheticals due to the need to go beyond the usual in search of an explanation. most will probably nevertheless simply feel the matter is unresolved rather than believe this or that about them. but this would be a longer term effect.

i think the official admission of a mystery of this magnitude will be good for our collective psyche. even the wackos will get a bit of a healthy outlet, in the sense that they'll be able to express their ideas in ordinary conversation and have some chance of an actual exchange of ideas occurring, or at least a fun conversation.

also if we do start taking the idea that aliens are watching seriously, it might just put some pressure on us to clean up our act a little. we're a loving embarrassment of a species at the moment and while it may make no rational sense whatsoever, knowing that something smarter and more powerful than us is watching does in fact make being such utter shitlords that we're ruining our planet for life itself let alone future generations completely different. suddenly someone can judge us as at least an equal and they are, right now. and we're loving sad, no wonder they don't talk to us.

we're like someone who is strung out and drunk and shouting about how they'll suck dick for a fix and you feel bad for the poor fucker but you're not loving talking to them.

e: and you might be like "what if that's their thing," but from their perspective, we can't even consent. that's where it's at.
There is no good reason to assume aliens are more moral than us. There as moral as natural selection encourages and that would suggest not at all. There is no reason an alien culture wouldn;t still be controlled by psychopaths and narcissists like our culture.

After seeing a billionaire's live in girlfriend do a video on utopia with a image from a manga of char who explicitly rapes and kills people to become a demon lord I have no confidence aren't going to just get worse.

its just people grasping for the one last thing that might make things better and turn life around

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol ill give the aliens covid ur welcome

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

lol ill give the aliens covid ur welcome

area 51 more like area 19

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

lol eve fartlow

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Armadillo Tank posted:

There is no good reason to assume aliens are more moral than us. There as moral as natural selection encourages and that would suggest not at all. There is no reason an alien culture wouldn;t still be controlled by psychopaths and narcissists like our culture.

After seeing a billionaire's live in girlfriend do a video on utopia with a image from a manga of char who explicitly rapes and kills people to become a demon lord I have no confidence aren't going to just get worse.

its just people grasping for the one last thing that might make things better and turn life around

i think the rationale is that the evil people in our society are destroying the world, so if the aliens are so advanced then maybe they figured poo poo out

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Zokari posted:

i think the rationale is that the evil people in our society are destroying the world, so if the aliens are so advanced then maybe they figured poo poo out

Disproof of the Great Filter means humanity actually can achieve more, whether they do or not, which is pretty darn cool in and of itself.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_eXsOovx4w
There she goes / there she goes again.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Armadillo Tank posted:

assuming our ideas about ethics even apply to the mindset of another species, i think a species we might consider more evil overall would probably murder the gently caress out of their equivalent of billionaires. capitalism requires parts of the middle and most of the working class to be nice and to believe they are moral.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Rah! posted:

the NY times article from 2017 was the equivalent of the first reported covid case back in december 2019 or whenever

the current report is like when tom hanks got covid

then u hit the india stage and its nonstop probing by interdimensional squidmen

no it isn’t. there are NY times articles going back to the 60s where they published ufo sightings. this isn’t even the first or second time the government has officially acknowledged investigating ufos

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

no it isn’t. there are NY times articles going back to the 60s where they published ufo sightings. this isn’t even the first or second time the government has officially acknowledged investigating ufos

sorry i made a joke post lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol i even thought about wording that joke post so that it mentioned that 1500s sky battle or roswell or ancient alien pyramid-flying snakemans or something like that, as the first covid case equivalent instead, sir please forgive me

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the aliens edited my post its a psyop

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Rah! posted:

nonstop probing by interdimensional squidmen

Okay maybe 2021 won't be so bad

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

my dad does have a story he likes to tell about when he was driving home at 2am or so and saw a green light streak across the sky, like a sci fi laserbeam, that lasted a few seconds before fading. I think that was probably weird miltech testing and not aliens tho

your dad just saw a meteorite. they easily look like bright green flares, I saw one my first Halloween night in America in Californian, 1991.
but you saw something way cooler so every time he tells that story feel free to interrupt with what you saw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

So just following on from this, there are a bunch of reports of sightings that seem to match the tic tac from ages ago all around the world. I mean, with the sheer quantity of ufo reports its basically the library of babel but still kinda fun to go down this rabbit hole:

etc

I'm sure those swedish pilots from 70 years ago just made it up and the nimitz pilots were aware of this relatively unusual description and decided to copy it almost perfectly for reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

And yet they seem to come from the ocean. The obvious answer hollow earth, with the hole in some underwater trench.