Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Ah, I didn't know what you were talking about with Aphohis and googling ending up on this page; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis
:11tea:

I meant the sci-fi name-sake, but people have been wanting to nuke SPAAAAACE for about as long as we've had nukes, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I meant the sci-fi name-sake, but people have been wanting to nuke SPAAAAACE for about as long as we've had nukes, sadly.
Huh this is interesting.

posted:

The explosion was intended to occur along the Moon's terminator, for maximum visibility from Earth.
Whoa, that's full cold war, baby. It's interesting that the 'sputnik crisis' that sparked this bout of insanity also was the charge that created DARPA, which created ARPANET, which created INTERNET. Which created THISTHREAD.
It's interesting to note, humans did eventually fufill their dream of bombing the moon in 2009; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCROSS

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rappaport posted:

yes. let’s build an orion pulse rocket already

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mediaphage posted:

yes. let’s build an orion pulse rocket already

I would argue that it's much more sensible to use nukes as a propellant rather than scaring the pants off Ruskies, but opinions are subjective!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Right now you’re trying to “debate” that god exists based on people claiming they’ve witnessed miracles. That is not a debate.

You don't get to claim the science position, you're dismissing hundreds of observations (including radar and IR) because it clashes with a theoretical framework that we know for a fact is both incomplete and self-contradictory.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

And the wise man bowed his head and said
"There's actually zero difference between scientific scepticism and magical thinking, you fool, you absolute buffoon"

And then he fell over and got crushed by the gigantic rolling eye coming up from behind.

Seriously, no-one in this thread believes UFOs are aliens, and pretending someone you disagree with is a conspiracy theorist is, ironically, exactly the same kind of magical thinking you're decrying here.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

And then he fell over and got crushed by the gigantic rolling eye coming up from behind.

Seriously, no-one in this thread believes UFOs are aliens, and pretending someone you disagree with is a conspiracy theorist is, ironically, exactly the same kind of magical thinking you're decrying here.

The guy literally one post above you has spend pages arguing that UFOs are aliens.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You don't get to claim the science position, you're dismissing hundreds of observations (including radar and IR) because it clashes with a theoretical framework that we know for a fact is both incomplete and self-contradictory.

Can you even image how that discussion would go down at CERN?

Boss, good news, we can throw out general relativity! We're all getting Nobel prizes!

Good god! Do we have five sigma confirmation of quantum gravity from the LHC?

No, we got some blurry ir videos of a UFO!

Good enough for me, wrap it up boys!

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 5, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

The guy literally one post above you has spend pages arguing that UFOs are aliens.

My position is that they might be and it's worth investigating further, which NASA is now doing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, there is a bit of a circle this thread enters here.
poster A; it might be aliens, but i am not convinced.
poster B; you are saying its aliens which is dumb, how dare you claim its aliens thats not science
poster A; i said it might be. i don't know what you want man.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

Can you even image how that discussion would go down at CERN?

Boss, good news, we can throw out general relativity! We're all getting Nobel prizes!

Good god! Do we have five sigma confirmation of quantum gravity from the LHC?

No, we got some blurry ir videos of a UFO!

Good enough for me, wrap it up boys!

Lampsacus has the perfect counter for your post:

Lampsacus posted:

poster B; you are saying its aliens which is dumb, how dare you claim its aliens thats not science

In my opinion, magical thinking involves believing things which do not exist. Which means congratulation, Bug Squash! You're a wizard now

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

The silly arguement is that it's definitely a craft, and that there's zero possibility of misinterpretation or error by the equipment or observers.

Libluini posted:

Lampsacus has the perfect counter for your post:
In my opinion, magical thinking involves believing things which do not exist. Which means congratulation, Bug Squash! You're a wizard now

Oh I'm sorry, what was the correct takeaway from this?

We're pretty much at the point where the Nimitz encounter is either aliens or a whole bunch of Navy guys are lying.

R and T is clearly playing Schroedinger's true believer on this one.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 5, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

The silly arguement is that it's definitely a craft, and that there's zero possibility of misinterpretation or error by the equipment or observers.
Who is making this argument and also the only absolutes I'm seeing argued in this thread is that it's definitely not aliens and we would be silly to think so. Its like you've got five groups.
group 1; its definitely not aliens, we can rule them out absolutely.
group 2; its most likely not aliens, i mean, it might be, but i'm inclined to believe that its not.
group 3; i don't know. but i'm open to discussing that it's aliens because thats fun and cool.
group 4; its most likely aliens. i mean, it might not be, but i'm inclined to believe the uap are aliens for reasons.
group 5; its definitely aliens, we can rule out any other eventual explanation now.

I feel like you are acting like there is a bunch of group 5s itt. but i think you'd find most of them are just group 3s and you, and others, are so adverse to the idea that it might be aliens you are knee-jerkly grouping everybody into the same camp. conversely, you have a bunch of people in group 3 thinking that any criticism is coming from posters who must be in group 1, and treating them as such. i mean, you do have some posters in this thread who definitely seem to be in group 1 and would probably be happy to be labeled as such. it just seems like you have all these different groups strawmanning each other and such.

My personal feelings are that I don't know. And until I see sufficient proof of an explanation it will stay that way. And while I'm here in the 'i don't know' group 3 camp, I'm going to read about aliens and make posts about aliens because that is fun and cool but it doesn't mean I believe its aliens or that there is any other explanation. Who knows man. Its the space thread, discuss aliens and poo poo itt.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You've invented the guy you're disagreeing with.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 5, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

Oh I'm sorry, what was the correct takeaway from this?
R and T is clearly playing Schroedinger's true believer on this one.

The correct takeaway is to calm down and not start hallucinating absolutes that are not there. I know it's hard work to not imagining things, but you're a self-proclaimed skeptic, that should be easy for you

Re: UFOs

if people just can't stop the urge of shitposting, I honestly think we may need a 100% UFOs thread, with a mod willing to hand out probations like candy if people can't stop posting like Bug Squash or worse, just to stop this endless discussion not even about aliens, but about how secretly people not 100% sure are only pretending to not believe in aliens.

I suggest making that thread, and just bringing the hammer down whenever the following two rules are broken:

The UFO thread

If you're 100% sure UFOs are aliens and you want to discuss your recent abduction, don't post.
If you're 100% sure UFOs aren't real and can't suppress the urge to mention this every post, don't.

Then we simply tell everyone mentioning the newest bit about UFOs infiltrating the military or whatever to go to that thread, kneecapping this endless circlejerk of stupid. :colbert:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

You've invented the guy you're getting mad at buddy.
But I'm not mad? Or the one calling people buddy?

Anyway, space!

New xkcd about the current uap sitch; https://xkcd.com/

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Let's face it - sometimes the natural world is just weird (and wonderful.) Here's some sanderlings doing a murmuration.

https://i.imgur.com/w4TIxnv.mp4

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

But I'm not mad? Or the one calling people buddy?

I'll edit out the buddy, but you've written a whole post telling me I'm tilting at windmills when I quoted directly what I was talking about. R and T is firmly between 4 and 5, if not entirely in cat 5 with a nudge and wink.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 5, 2021

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

I'll edit out the buddy, but you've written a whole post telling me I'm tilting at windmills when I quoted directly what I was talking about. R and T is firmly between 4 and 5, if not entirely in cat 5 with a nudge and wink.
Oh, I see my error. I quoted the wrong post. I don't think I even meant to quote a post in that post. My mistake, sorry for the stress caused, I was wrong.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

I can entertain an idea without firmly believing it. The facts as I understand them in that specific case suggest alien technology to me, but those facts could be wrong, Fravor and Dietrich could be lying or mistaken, there might be some unlikely series of coincidences that explains things etc I'm still open to that.

I'm also well aware that a lot of the stronger evidence for the Nimitz is second hand accounts of data that the public has not been allowed to see.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Libluini posted:

if people just can't stop the urge of shitposting, I honestly think we may need a 100% UFOs thread, with a mod willing to hand out probations like candy if people can't stop posting like Bug Squash or worse, just to stop this endless discussion not even about aliens, but about how secretly people not 100% sure are only pretending to not believe in aliens.

Yes, please. Bug Squash, weren't you in the process of making the OP for that one? Please do, we've been on loving UAP footage for the past like 11 pages or something and I can't take it anymore. We can call it The UAP Thread: Discuss Aliens and poo poo ITT, and have a mod rename this to simply be "Space, the Final Frontier". Clean break, and we can just move on and continue to be chill and get back to the very important business of 10 page derails about how we might be simulations run by Boltzmann Brains at the end of the universe.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, please. Bug Squash, weren't you in the process of making the OP for that one? Please do, we've been on loving UAP footage for the past like 11 pages or something and I can't take it anymore. We can call it The UAP Thread: Discuss Aliens and poo poo ITT, and have a mod rename this to simply be "Space, the Final Frontier".

It got lost in the mix, but it got delayed by fallout from a nearby covid outbreak. Should get it done this weekend I'll put up the OP.

DrSunshine posted:

Clean break, and we can just move on and continue to be chill and get back to the very important business of 10 page derails about how we might be simulations run by Boltzmann Brains at the end of the universe.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The UAP thread: Unexplained rear end Phenomena.

Wake me up when the US military submits these scientific findings to a reputable journal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it should be fine to discuss alien life in terms of either microbiology news or stuff in the context of the fermi paradox.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

eXXon posted:

The UAP thread: Unexplained rear end Phenomena.
Wake me up when the US military submits these scientific findings to a reputable journal.
https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/21/10/939
e; i know it doesn't really fit your criteria, but i just happened to find it in another tab just as i read your post. and it looks kinda fun and weird and interesting. cheeoo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

eXXon posted:

https://www.space.com/nasa-investigating-ufos-bill-nelson

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it should be fine to discuss alien life in terms of either microbiology news or stuff in the context of the fermi paradox.

Yes, I'd be super ok with this too. Like the phosphine on Venus discussion a while back, or the Tabby's Star thing. That was all great.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, I'd be super ok with this too. Like the phosphine on Venus discussion a while back, or the Tabby's Star thing. That was all great.

Yeah, maybe the cut off could simply be the UFO/UAP phenomenon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It tickles me how integral the Voyager Disk is to the Transformers lore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

As yes the reputable journal Space.com

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Wake up to 40 more posts of this UFO bullshit.

It's loving sad how desperate people are for magical explanations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

"Oh wow look, mod powers that let me view reports and...oh, wait why are there so many reports for the Space thread?"

While I get UFO's are fun to discuss and some people think they're definitely aliens and others think there's earthly explanations as to what they are, there's room for reasonable discussion for both view points ITT.

Please stop needlessly antagonizing people ITT because they don't subscribe to whatever your theory is on UFOs or whatever. If people can't post without being an rear end in a top hat or needlessly dismissive, I'll start handing out free trips to space the leapers colony, thanks!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Handsome Ralph posted:

"Oh wow look, mod powers that let me view reports and...oh, wait why are there so many reports for the Space thread?"

While I get UFO's are fun to discuss and some people think they're definitely aliens and others think there's earthly explanations as to what they are, there's room for reasonable discussion for both view points ITT.

Please stop needlessly antagonizing people ITT because they don't subscribe to whatever your theory is on UFOs or whatever. If people can't post without being an rear end in a top hat or needlessly dismissive, I'll start handing out free trips to space the leapers colony, thanks!

Is there any support for splitting out UFO stuff to its own thread, and renaming this one to not include aliens?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is there any support for splitting out UFO stuff to its own thread, and renaming this one to not include aliens?

If someone really wants to make a dedicated thread about UFOs or at least about the recent report, so long as it's not Art Bell/Alex Jones levels of posting about UFOs, I see no problem with it.

Though UFO chat is still fine in here for the time being so long as they aren't posting like a jerk or posting Alex Jones level takes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's absolutely no reason to ban astrobiology, Fermi paradox and habitability chat here. If you want to draw a stupid line then just say that the forthcoming UFO thread is for atmospheric aliens and this is for everything outside the atmosphere including space aliens.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

eXXon posted:

There's absolutely no reason to ban astrobiology, Fermi paradox and habitability chat here. If you want to draw a stupid line then just say that the forthcoming UFO thread is for atmospheric aliens and this is for everything outside the atmosphere including space aliens.

Yeah I agree with this, my wording was not clear.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

1600 words written on history so far. Moving onto the alien beastery.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

1600 words written on history so far. Moving onto the alien beastery.

Our savoir

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eXXon posted:

There's a good joke here somewhat but I'm too dumb dumb to figure it out.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
The most intellectually honest answer to "What are UFOs?" is that we simply do not know with certainty. There are a few useful epistemological tools to keep in mind.

Why they're not aliens:
  • Occam's Razor: "entities should not be multiplied without necessity". In other words, for any given UFO-sighting, if there are terrestrial causes that adequately explain the event, then the terrestrial explanation is most likely to be correct.
  • Sagan Standard "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Claiming that UFOs are under extraterrestrial control is an extraordinary claim. While there is some evidence for the UFOs-are-aliens theory, there is a total lack of publicly-available 'hard' evidence (e.g., a recovered craft containing bodies). Videos, eye-witness testimony, instrument readings, etc. are not infallible and can be subject to errors, distortions, and cognitive biases. For such an extraordinary claim, we need more extraordinary evidence.

Why they are aliens:
  • The Copernican Principle: "Humans are not privileged observers of the universe". To crudely summarize Richard Gott summarizing Copernicus: "don't assume that you're special." We have a tendency to assume that we occupy a special place in the universe. When we assert that we are the only intelligent life form in the universe, or the most intelligent, or among the most intelligent, etc., we're assigning ourselves a privileged position in the universe, extrapolated from our privileged position on Earth. When we assert that our understanding of physics or our engineering capabilities are the most complete and powerful of any intelligent being in the universe, we are again assuming that we are cosmically special.

Why we should stay open minded:
  • The Problem of Induction: Even if we find that 100% of all reported cases of UFOs are nothing more than weather balloons, we cannot use that as evidence to conclusively prove that the next UFO will not be an alien craft. To do so invokes a circular reasoning: "The future will resemble the past because in the past, the future resembled the past", with no logical justification as to why that must be the case. Inductive reasoning is highly valuable and is the source of most of our knowledge about the world, but any conclusion reached by inductive reasoning is subject to change when new evidence emerges.
  • Science is a liar, sometimes

None of these tools are evidence (for or against), but I think they're useful for thinking through some of our basic assumptions about this question (and indeed, a lot of new/fringe/pseudo science).

In conclusion, it's definitely aliens; wake up people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

J Hume posted:

The most intellectually honest answer to "What are UFOs?" is that we simply do not know with certainty. There are a few useful epistemological tools to keep in mind.

Why they're not aliens:
  • Occam's Razor: "entities should not be multiplied without necessity". In other words, for any given UFO-sighting, if there are terrestrial causes that adequately explain the event, then the terrestrial explanation is most likely to be correct.
  • Sagan Standard "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Claiming that UFOs are under extraterrestrial control is an extraordinary claim. While there is some evidence for the UFOs-are-aliens theory, there is a total lack of publicly-available 'hard' evidence (e.g., a recovered craft containing bodies). Videos, eye-witness testimony, instrument readings, etc. are not infallible and can be subject to errors, distortions, and cognitive biases. For such an extraordinary claim, we need more extraordinary evidence.

Why they are aliens:
  • The Copernican Principle: "Humans are not privileged observers of the universe". To crudely summarize Richard Gott summarizing Copernicus: "don't assume that you're special." We have a tendency to assume that we occupy a special place in the universe. When we assert that we are the only intelligent life form in the universe, or the most intelligent, or among the most intelligent, etc., we're assigning ourselves a privileged position in the universe, extrapolated from our privileged position on Earth. When we assert that our understanding of physics or our engineering capabilities are the most complete and powerful of any intelligent being in the universe, we are again assuming that we are cosmically special.

Why we should stay open minded:
  • The Problem of Induction: Even if we find that 100% of all reported cases of UFOs are nothing more than weather balloons, we cannot use that as evidence to conclusively prove that the next UFO will not be an alien craft. To do so invokes a circular reasoning: "The future will resemble the past because in the past, the future resembled the past", with no logical justification as to why that must be the case. Inductive reasoning is highly valuable and is the source of most of our knowledge about the world, but any conclusion reached by inductive reasoning is subject to change when new evidence emerges.
  • Science is a liar, sometimes

None of these tools are evidence (for or against), but I think they're useful for thinking through some of our basic assumptions about this question (and indeed, a lot of new/fringe/pseudo science).

In conclusion, it's definitely aliens; wake up people!

Is there any evidence to suggest that any particular documented ufo is from outer space? What would that evidence look like?

I always assumed it was simply because pop culture had long prepared us to expect aliens and spaceships by the 50s when people started describing weird apparent aircraft.