Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Geldof attacking fishing boats from a yacht really didn't come off the way that he wanted it to. Story of his life I guess.

15 is how many people you have in rugby union, American and Canadian football, and the main Gaelic games of both stick and non-stick varieties.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think you'll find Nelson wasn't playing boules, he was admiring the binmen taking his bins away. That's why he was late.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But isn't that how we defeated the Spanish Main with whatsizface Drake? - can't be assed to google - playing bowls on Plymouth Ho or whatever it was, by having speedy little boats nipping in and out in a seemingly disorganized manner instead of the more disciplined Spanish galleons?

Drake refused to fully engage with the Spanish as they traversed the Channel because they were both outnumbered him and were more heavily-armed and had loads of troops on board, so a close-range battle would have been a slaughter. Instead he waited until they anchored at Dunkirk and sent in fireships to break up the formation, allowing 2 or 3 English ships to ambush individual Spanish ships - the English, being mostly pirates buccaneers, were much more used to this form of combat. Unfortunately because they were pirates free-spirited entrepreneurial wealth-creators they then proceeded to take prizes rather than actually continuing in combat. The Spanish escaped in more than enough numbers to have another go, but then a storm washed them into the north coasts of Scotland and Ireland. The weather, not the Fine Traditions Of Etc, defeated the Armada.

Now personally if I were in charge of the Remain forces, once I realised I'd lost the gage, I'd have sent the Momentum flotilla in close to the rear of the UKIP squadron, enraging the fishermen - presumably both the best sailors and best fighters in the UKIP line - and hopefully pulling them away, then sent my main force into a reverse crossing-the-T on the UKIP van and forced them into a boarding battle - I'm certain Geldof and Church could take Farage and Hoey without breaking a sweat. Much like at Trafalgar the idea is to let chaos and entropy do a lot of the work for you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Geldof attacking fishing boats from a yacht really didn't come off the way that he wanted it to. Story of his life I guess.

15 is how many people you have in rugby union, American and Canadian football, and the main Gaelic games of both stick and non-stick varieties.

Pretty sure American football sides only have 11 players on the field at any time (5 linemen, 1 qb, 1 rb, 1 te, 3 wr would be a common offensive lineup)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of naval battles the World War 2 channel did a fantastic video on the world's first carrier vs. carrier battle a couple weeks ago

https://youtu.be/k6WVEe_F6lw

And the battle of midway is coming up (first video drops tomorrow I think) and I'm excited

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure American football sides only have 11 players on the field at any time (5 linemen, 1 qb, 1 rb, 1 te, 3 wr would be a common offensive lineup)
You're right. It's just RU and the big Gaelic ones that are 15. The non-stick games are when you hit the ball with a teflon pan.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hurling, the best sport.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Edmonds in particular going after Health & Safety is even better when you remember his career almost ended because a guy died on a show he was hosting because they cut corners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess "there's far too many laws and also they're too soft on the people that I specifically don't like" has been around forever for people that don't actually like the idea of impartial rule of law, Zizek has spoken about it in Yugoslavia, Eco has written about it in fascist Italy, poo poo I'm sure that Plato has gone on about it, but there's something very specifically late 00s Britain about the "there's too much health and safety and also string up the drug hoodies, love and light xox" flavour.

Dead Goon posted:

Hurling, the best sport.
:yeah: it's good.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the lads wear tight shorts but they're not as chunky as the big rugby lads and don't touch each other as much, 6/10 homoeroticism sport imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

rishi is standing on a chair in this photo and he hasn't a baldy what language them ladies are even speaking

imo

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pour one out to a real one:

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1401031543003484163

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And the battle of midway is coming up (first video drops tomorrow I think) and I'm excited

Who dya think is gonna win this year? It'll be too close to call I reckon.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Drake refused to fully engage with the Spanish as they traversed the Channel because they were both outnumbered him and were more heavily-armed and had loads of troops on board, so a close-range battle would have been a slaughter. Instead he waited until they anchored at Dunkirk and sent in fireships to break up the formation, allowing 2 or 3 English ships to ambush individual Spanish ships - the English, being mostly pirates buccaneers, were much more used to this form of combat. Unfortunately because they were pirates free-spirited entrepreneurial wealth-creators they then proceeded to take prizes rather than actually continuing in combat. The Spanish escaped in more than enough numbers to have another go, but then a storm washed them into the north coasts of Scotland and Ireland. The weather, not the Fine Traditions Of Etc, defeated the Armada.

Now personally if I were in charge of the Remain forces, once I realised I'd lost the gage, I'd have sent the Momentum flotilla in close to the rear of the UKIP squadron, enraging the fishermen - presumably both the best sailors and best fighters in the UKIP line - and hopefully pulling them away, then sent my main force into a reverse crossing-the-T on the UKIP van and forced them into a boarding battle - I'm certain Geldof and Church could take Farage and Hoey without breaking a sweat. Much like at Trafalgar the idea is to let chaos and entropy do a lot of the work for you.

I'd have hidden the momentum flotilla in Poplar Dock and formed a feigned retreat into Blackwell Basin with the remain boats, to try and lure the kippers into Blackwell Basin. Once they're in, turn the remain flotilla around and get the momentum flotilla to emerge from Poplar dock at the sides.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

the lads wear tight shorts but they're not as chunky as the big rugby lads and don't touch each other as much, 6/10 homoeroticism sport imo
They've just been trying to pull each others' shirts off in the Tigers-Bristol game too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'd have hidden the momentum flotilla in Poplar Dock and formed a feigned retreat into Blackwell Basin with the remain boats, to try and lure the kippers into Blackwell Basin. Once they're in, turn the remain flotilla around and get the momentum flotilla to emerge from Poplar dock at the sides.

Listen I defended you over the Starmer thing but I warn you now, if you get London geography, hydrography, or particularly docks wrong one more time I will run you out of here like a common pygmy.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

... poo poo the bed now I'm more curious about the mole people of the underground.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

... poo poo the bed now I'm more curious about the mole people of the underground.

It's the giant rat people of the Thames riverbanks you've really got to watch out for.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They're called Rumbles.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Listen I defended you over the Starmer thing but I warn you now, if you get London geography, hydrography, or particularly docks wrong one more time I will run you out of here like a common pygmy.

Capitalist pig doesn't want to flood canary wharf's underground parking

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 5, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

They're called Rumbles.

Funny how they can't pronounce their R's, isn't it?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Howard Beckett's turning out to be pretty cool: I kinda wish I could join Unite, just to vote for him but I'm already in the CWU. Can you be in 2 unions at once?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Has Gibbo confirmed?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Speaking of naval battles the World War 2 channel did a fantastic video on the world's first carrier vs. carrier battle a couple weeks ago

https://youtu.be/k6WVEe_F6lw

For all your naval needs this is the lad you want: Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/c/Drachinifel/videos been following him for a couple of years now, mostly covering everything up to the late 1940's as good information after that is usually classified or can't be verified.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Long live the King Singers.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hey twisto I meant to ask you actually, I’m back in London for a few days and wanted to do some good touristy stuff but maybe off the beaten track? My partner loves east London history and I know that’s your thing so anything to do with modern (last couple hundred years or so) east end history that you wouldn’t find online easily would be wicked. We like macabre stuff too, anything a little subterranean, generally ghoulish things.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Heavy Woollen Independent guy isn't standing in Batley and/or Spen apparently, which makes it probably a harder hold for Labour.

Poor old Starmzy

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pistol_Pete posted:

Howard Beckett's turning out to be pretty cool: I kinda wish I could join Unite, just to vote for him but I'm already in the CWU. Can you be in 2 unions at once?

there are smaller unions inside Unite itself that get treated as branches for their internal purposes, so there aren't exclusivity clauses. I know people on exec committees that are openly members of three unions (semi-independent branch and the IWW). Don't know about CWU, though.

also for gensec elections you can vote as a community member of Unite, which is cheaper.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Hey twisto I meant to ask you actually, I’m back in London for a few days and wanted to do some good touristy stuff but maybe off the beaten track? My partner loves east London history and I know that’s your thing so anything to do with modern (last couple hundred years or so) east end history that you wouldn’t find online easily would be wicked. We like macabre stuff too, anything a little subterranean, generally ghoulish things.

Well of course until about 1750 East End history was basically "This is a field", so it's all relatively modern.

Off the top of my head, not all of them may be open when you're here:

Macabre stuff:
- https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/rlhmuseum - London Hospital museum, Elephant Man bones and surgical implements
- Any of the half a dozen Jack The Ripper walking tours while you're in the area (not my thing so can't really recommend one over the other)
- https://secretnuclearbunker.com/ - A little outside London (but still accessible by public transport, car's easier though) - if you're a fan of that particularly impersonal horror of the Cold War this is the place for you

East end history:
- https://www.thebrunelmuseum.com/ - Brunel Museum, not very macabre but very definitely underground.
- http://www.eastendwalks.com/?page_id=2 - any of David Rosenberg's walks are right up this thread's street (pun intended)

Also keep an eye on https://www.ideastore.co.uk/local-history-whats-on for Tower Hamlets local history exhibitions and https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/ for all sorts of interesting little exhibitions, talks and so on.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I can recommend the secret nuclear bunker; ended up just following roadsigns there a couple of decades ago and it was great

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I just came across this article, which is a fairly banal "Brexit and Covid are making it hard to find hospitality staff" piece, but I enjoyed this line

quote:

“It’s hot, and it’s long hours. For the amount of skill you need, the pay has never been great, so these jobs have always suited migrant workers,” Cobb said. Increasing the hourly pay offered for a chef by a quarter to £12 any hour hasn’t brought in any more suitable applicants. “That’s how I know the staff don’t exist.”

Ah yes, an unpleasant skilled job with long hours in the southeast, but he went all the way up to £12, the highest wage there is, so obviously the laws of supply and demand no longer apply. Probably a bit like the speed of light.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/05/brexit-and-covid-plunge-hospitality-into-crisis

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Incy posted:

I can recommend the secret nuclear bunker; ended up just following roadsigns there a couple of decades ago and it was great

Ahhh I remember the one near where I grew up. It had a rat as it's mascot and I don't think anything is more funny than seeing a sign saying "secret nuclear bunker"

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well of course until about 1750 East End history was basically "This is a field", so it's all relatively modern.

Off the top of my head, not all of them may be open when you're here:

Macabre stuff:
- https://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/rlhmuseum - London Hospital museum, Elephant Man bones and surgical implements
- Any of the half a dozen Jack The Ripper walking tours while you're in the area (not my thing so can't really recommend one over the other)
- https://secretnuclearbunker.com/ - A little outside London (but still accessible by public transport, car's easier though) - if you're a fan of that particularly impersonal horror of the Cold War this is the place for you

East end history:
- https://www.thebrunelmuseum.com/ - Brunel Museum, not very macabre but very definitely underground.
- http://www.eastendwalks.com/?page_id=2 - any of David Rosenberg's walks are right up this thread's street (pun intended)

Also keep an eye on https://www.ideastore.co.uk/local-history-whats-on for Tower Hamlets local history exhibitions and https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/ for all sorts of interesting little exhibitions, talks and so on.

Amazing! Think the nuclear bunker might get a visit from something awful forums poster jakabite this week. That’s all really good, cheers mate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh poo poo time to get interested in football briefly again

Cam eeeeeern!!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh poo poo time to get interested in football briefly again

Cam eeeeeern!!

Come and post in The Ray Parlour Bruce Arena Jizz Hornkamp

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is a man who leads.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Hurling, the best sport.

Irish guy dating a friend of mine took us for a chuck round in the park, it was good fun and I asked if there were any social teams. He turned dead serious and said don't, the only people playing in London are psychos, who just play to hurt someone, and ex pros, who just play to hurt someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1401218902479286273

Feels nostalgic.