Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was just mentioning today in therapy that if my 1st tour happened in today's Army, they wouldn't have let me finish it.

It's crazy how absolute bug poo poo baller OIF 1 was compared to later. The Mad Max days loving owned.

I am actually partially responsible for the "no drinking" part of general order 1. We found a beer factory while patrolling. Then Marines did what Marines do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PathAsc posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazingly terrible

Hudson American Legion to close permanently after cutting veteran's mic during Memorial Day speech

This was the state Legion chapter's statement on Facebook:

quote:

It is clear and evident through the statement sent to our Department that the Officers of American Legion Post 464 intentionally censored Lt. Col Bernard Kemter, US Army (Ret.) during his Memorial Day speech hosted by American Legion Post 464 of Hudson, Ohio.

This action was highly inconsiderate and proved to be a feeble judgment call made by the Officers of Post 464 and not at all aligned with the Principles, Pillars, and People, of The American Legion. Not acknowledging or discussing history that involves people of a different race and color is akin to eliminating or making invisible the fact that people of color exist and were/are part of this vital piece of history regarding a ceremony that veterans, families of veterans, and community members, hold reverent.

Therefore, Department Commander Roger Friend asks for the resignation of James E. Garrison, Post 464 Adjutant, and Cindy Suchan, Auxiliary President of Post 464 effective immediately. A formal letter from Commander Roger Friend has been sent to the said parties and a decision for the existence of this Post and a trial-board hearing for this incident is currently pending.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Steezo posted:

I am actually partially responsible for the "no drinking" part of general order 1. We found a beer factory while patrolling. Then Marines did what Marines do.

I'm not surprised.

I never got to find beer. Just bombs. Which you probably found more of, too, loser.

Funny- GO1 seemed to be in effect everywhere I went...except the palace. Can't be anything to that. Nope.

I remember how jealous I was of the Aussie bar at BIAP. (It's still SIAP to me, dammit!)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Steezo posted:

Then Marines did what Marines do.

Where did they find the Okinawans to beat up?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not surprised.

I never got to find beer. Just bombs. Which you probably found more of, too, loser.

Funny- GO1 seemed to be in effect everywhere I went...except the palace. Can't be anything to that. Nope.

I remember how jealous I was of the Aussie bar at BIAP. (It's still SIAP to me, dammit!)

The beer helped us forget the bombs and apartment complex that was smashed by a scud or some other giant missile.

McNally posted:

Where did they find the Okinawans to beat up?

I've known Marines who got beaten up by Okinawans, specifically their police, but the only one i know who beat an Okinawan was married to her at the time.

Edit: is it weird that there's tidbits i let out here that even the va therapist doesn't hear? I dont think they quite get it, but some of you do.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Steezo posted:

Edit: is it weird that there's tidbits i let out here that even the va therapist doesn't hear? I dont think they quite get it, but some of you do.

The anonymity the internet provides is devoid of the potential for judging stares or reactions. That's why you can say stuff to a relative or perfect stranger online but not to a therapist because there's an air of professionalism there and you need to cultivate a stable dynamic over time. You're most likely never going to meet the stranger in real life so it doesn't matter what you say. I think we'd all rather you say something like you did other than a shitpost or troll.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress. I'm in the wrong war with my comments, and wasn't trying to make light of your experiences.
If they upset you, or if I brought up bad poo poo you didn't need, I am truly sorry. And thank you for sharing. I think all of share things here we don't other places, besides the other reasons mentioned, and the tribal support, details spring details.

Someone says something, and you might not even know why it reminded you of X, or why it wanted to make you share Y.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was just mentioning today in therapy that if my 1st tour happened in today's Army, they wouldn't have let me finish it.

It's crazy how absolute bug poo poo baller OIF 1 was compared to later. The Mad Max days loving owned.

Same. OIF I was a total leash off mad house with tons of autonomy. From the ground war to the occupation of Baghdad then moving over to Fallujah for a bit. First year best year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Spaceguns posted:

Same. OIF I was a total leash off mad house with tons of autonomy. From the ground war to the occupation of Baghdad then moving over to Fallujah for a bit. First year best year.

I was part of the stupidity starting in OIF2. We got to see 4th ID living like bandits as we took the handover, and then had to live with 1ID leadership going batshit gung ho to instill discipline.

It wasn't as bad as I've heard that it got later, but we definitely saw the start of the speed bumps/reflective vests/MPs with radar guns on base shitheadedness.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Spaceguns posted:

I was honest- it was ever adolescent fantasy you could have rolled into one. We went from no poo poo war, to suddenly being town marshalls on the frontier.

Some of the basic day to day poo poo we did is now unfathomable. Rolling with 2 trucks; no doors, soft skins. Clearing houses in 4 man teams- sometimes less. Being able to exploit a situation on your terms- dude does some dumb poo poo, but didn't actually make any real effort to gently caress us up? Congrats. Enjoy 2 days of MREs, and then go deal with your extremely angry wife. The amount of authority and confidence they put into an E2/E3 was insane.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Good, and thank you for the update.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Steezo posted:

The beer helped us forget the bombs and apartment complex that was smashed by a scud or some other giant missile.

I was the booze connection. I had ins with Brits and Spaniards and others and used the liquor to my advantage. Hope some dudes got lit and had a day or two off from our existence.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of my best friend’s cousins was in OIF I and said it was absolutely wild, he was basically in charge of coordinating every municipal service in a town as a 20 year old CPL

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was honest- it was ever adolescent fantasy you could have rolled into one. We went from no poo poo war, to suddenly being town marshalls on the frontier.

Some of the basic day to day poo poo we did is now unfathomable. Rolling with 2 trucks; no doors, soft skins. Clearing houses in 4 man teams- sometimes less. Being able to exploit a situation on your terms- dude does some dumb poo poo, but didn't actually make any real effort to gently caress us up? Congrats. Enjoy 2 days of MREs, and then go deal with your extremely angry wife. The amount of authority and confidence they put into an E2/E3 was insane.

3ID by any chance?

We'd get actionable enough Intel, go around and gather a posse of random guys from checkpoints / wherever the hell people were then just move out with barely a radio check in with anyone to go hit a place.

Local unvetted terps hired and paid in cash with dead man saddam bucks based on how cool they seemed. Randos running around the area from ngos to international press to two guys I met trying to get the jump on bringing internet there, you never knew who you would run into and share a smoke and sat phone time with and half the time they'd stay a while.

Also random shopping and eating at whatever place was open selling food.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm in a nothing town in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania on family business, shooting the poo poo with an older gentleman over hotel breakfast. Turns out he's a Korean War vet, and, inspired by the thread, I asked him what kind of dumb poo poo he and his got up to.

Places I learned that you can brew hooch:
  • tank barrels
  • spotlights
  • artillery brass
  • base loudspeakers
  • Jeep tires (but only the rear ones if they're still on the jeep)
  • spent oxygen tanks
  • aluminum cot bedframes

It was a fun conversation. I wish I had time to listen to more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Never underestimate the ingenuity of people desperate for alcohol.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kith posted:

I'm in a nothing town in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania on family business, shooting the poo poo with an older gentleman over hotel breakfast. Turns out he's a Korean War vet, and, inspired by the thread, I asked him what kind of dumb poo poo he and his got up to.

Places I learned that you can brew hooch:
  • tank barrels
  • spotlights
  • artillery brass
  • base loudspeakers
  • Jeep tires (but only the rear ones if they're still on the jeep)
  • spent oxygen tanks
  • aluminum cot bedframes

It was a fun conversation. I wish I had time to listen to more.

if you get the chance you tell him I salute his service all the way from Australia

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Spaceguns posted:

3ID by any chance?

We'd get actionable enough Intel, go around and gather a posse of random guys from checkpoints / wherever the hell people were then just move out with barely a radio check in with anyone to go hit a place.

Local unvetted terps hired and paid in cash with dead man saddam bucks based on how cool they seemed. Randos running around the area from ngos to international press to two guys I met trying to get the jump on bringing internet there, you never knew who you would run into and share a smoke and sat phone time with and half the time they'd stay a while.

Also random shopping and eating at whatever place was open selling food.

❤❤

Not 3ID- 82d ABN
Same sorta life. I remember pooling money and buying a Thuraya Sat Phone and cards. I miss those days- the days of being a Squad leader War, living in the city, eating whatever local food looked great.

Nothing was the same after we moved to the Scania Dealership (later Camp Falcon). That's when things really changed. We no longer lived in the city, we were no longer citizens of the city. That was the day when the train came to the frontier.

I'll always long for that first tour, because it was the war I deserved, the war that I won, the war where we were really making things better. I loved that country, the city, the people. I loved what it was. It's a home I can never go back to.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

❤❤

Not 3ID- 82d ABN
Same sorta life. I remember pooling money and buying a Thuraya Sat Phone and cards. I miss those days- the days of being a Squad leader War, living in the city, eating whatever local food looked great.

Nothing was the same after we moved to the Scania Dealership (later Camp Falcon). That's when things really changed. We no longer lived in the city, we were no longer citizens of the city. That was the day when the train came to the frontier.

I'll always long for that first tour, because it was the war I deserved, the war that I won, the war where we were really making things better. I loved that country, the city, the people. I loved what it was. It's a home I can never go back to.

Brother I feel you. We lived in the city, I knew the locals and I lived like hobo out of my truck after we took Baghdad. I still to this day feel that Iraq went to poo poo when I got back for OIF 3 because we retreated to FOBs. It became garrison. The locals no longer trusted us because we weren't in it with them. We didn't saturate the place with our presence not just being there but being in the lovely situation with the locals and instead retreated to FOBs and brought garrison to the war zone.

First year was the wild west but it loving worked. Would it have worked forever? I don't know, but I do know that we had a chance there and it's a shame what happened in the subsequent years.

edit: Seriously man if you ever want to talk about it with someone else who was there for OIF I hit me up. If you don't have PM's let me know and I will pass on other contact info. Available for casual messages through video calls if you want to.

double edit: gently caress I miss bags full of Iraqi flatbread sometimes.

Spaceguns fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 5, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I would war crime the gently caress out of some people for Baghdad Street food

I agree with you 100%. When we lived in the city, it was community based, and their was a direct line.

"The Americans ruined my door!"
"Our bad bro, here's 20$."

They knew us, better or worse. And by living in the same area, they understood we had shared hardships. We got what they got from the city. We shared the same dangers. I cannot tell you how many times we were kept safe because we treated the locals like people. We loved them the way we knew how. I still love them.

A hushed whisper before they slap the truck and start yelling "bomb ahead."

I lived in a neighborhood that had an average of 96 detonations a week. Nearly 100 IEDs a week.
We only hit a handful, outside of our stomping grounds, because we worked hard. We drive Airport Road daily- normally a few times a day- no one ever hosed with us.

We also had a bit of a reputation. We were running some delinquent to the IP station, and dude noticeably relaxes- like whole body exhale- as soon as we turn him over. He immediately starts jabbering, and wide eyed glances at us. Once we are alone with the Captain.

"He is afraid of you."
"Yeah."
"No, he is afraid of the men in that patch," motioning towards the AA. "He thinks they are monsters."
"Wait, like monsters?"
"He is afraid you would cut off his head for a reward. Ali Baba thinks that you have to bring in a family head to get your patch. He said you are Lions of Baghdad, hunting for sport. That you take heads. I tell him he switch (crazy), but he said all Ali Baba think this."

That is how I found out I was the Boogie Man to the criminal element.

Also, shout out to all the kids with massive balls who helped us when no one else would. We had an unofficial translator kid, Khalid, who had giant brass balls, and never dicked us around. He didn't want anything but to hang out and talk movies with us. 😊

Dude also bumped 50 Cent for us one day so we could have music.

Real talk- I will never be so lucky or safe again. The constant threat, the daily sniper rounds zipping past, or a hail Mary shot drops a round through the hood all meant things were normal, ok, and safe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bulletsponge13 posted:

gently caress. I'm in the wrong war with my comments, and wasn't trying to make light of your experiences.
If they upset you, or if I brought up bad poo poo you didn't need, I am truly sorry. And thank you for sharing. I think all of share things here we don't other places, besides the other reasons mentioned, and the tribal support, details spring details.

Someone says something, and you might not even know why it reminded you of X, or why it wanted to make you share Y.

Welcome to the Internet VFW.

Edit: FWIW I really appreciate reading these stories. It's so far removed from what we did that it might as well have been an entirely different war. We never went anywhere that wasn't fully set-up and removed from any kind of credible ground threat, because our planes were too important to put us close to anything. We had lovely double stack trailer housing (within sight of actual houses the local gov't built for us that we weren't allowed to use) but we almost never ran out of food or internet, and our biggest threat was Iran.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2021

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

You are Welcome here, I am the Idiot hahahahahaha!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Spaceguns posted:

I still to this day feel that Iraq went to poo poo when I got back for OIF 3 because we retreated to FOBs. It became garrison.

I've been trying to figure out how to describe the difference between going in as a Marine in 2003 and going back in 2009 in the Army and it's this. Everything wrong with the peacetime mentality was put front and center between 2003 and when I went back. Its exactly what shouldn't have happened. It was loving weird going back.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Steezo posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to describe the difference between going in as a Marine in 2003 and going back in 2009 in the Army and it's this. Everything wrong with the peacetime mentality was put front and center between 2003 and when I went back. Its exactly what shouldn't have happened. It was loving weird going back.

This.
I went 03/04, 04/05, and 06/07.
It broke my loving heart. You could feel a difference in the air. The locals noticed. Things got bad, then worse. The shift from 'community policing' to set patrol mindset.

While many abused it, the autonomy and low level control allowed individuals to make up for the institution's failures, oversights, and mistakes.

I still miss OIF1. Not just the drug rush of contact, but I got to do the right thing in the wrong situation. I got to be the moral being in the immoral machine. Besides that, those people were much kinder than I would be to an invader who is the same flavor of boot with a new coat of polish as the regime they 'saved' us from.

A bit I want to share- a gentleman once came up to our hasty ECP. He wanted in. Sorry, bro. No can do. He was understandably upset, wildly gesturing and sprawling syllables in a soup of Arabic and English.

"Dude. DUDE. DUDE! Jundi! I'm a loving Jundi Awaal!"

He stopped, looked sympathetic for a second, then broke a crooked smile and pointed to himself. "Long ago, Jundi!"

We looked at each other in silence for a couple seconds, and then both shrugged out shoulders, like "Bro. Been there. We cool." And he wondered off to chain smoke and complain with most of the neighborhood. I would run into him in passing a few times after. I only know this, because home boy loved pointing at me, and yelling "Jundi!" with a big grin.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Steezo posted:

In OIF 1 I are a chunk of pork from an MRE off the ground in Tikrit.

When I came back in 2006 they had a Taco Bell.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Cross posting from the navy thread only to find out that this thread has been remade and I'm in the OP lol.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons, a lot of QD watchstanders on my ship are having their gun quals expire because we've had to prioritize sustainment shoots for BRF bodies and well long story short I'm standing OOD while armed up with a 9 and its ~2:30 on Monday morning...

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Give in to your desires

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Cross posting from the navy thread only to find out that this thread has been remade and I'm in the OP lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0NlXKPaqZg

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Wow. Going back and re-reading that original thread brings up a bunch of nostalgia. Weird to see old heads like iyaayas1, gleep gloop, etc. It's also VERY weird to see the kind of language we used back then which definitely wouldn't fly today. Woo.

Smoke Crack remains a bitch to this day

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Softface posted:

You never forget your first time in combat. I'll never forget mine.

We were mounted up, people were coming out of their houses to wish us well. Man, we were scared, and we looked it. We thought we had been trained, but you can't train for the real thing. When we started moving out....man, its like we didn't even know how to use our equipment. Suddenly it felt that our uniforms were loose-fitting, our helmets falling over our eyes. Nerves, I guess.

Then it happened. Contact - front. We hadn't even dismounted. People have no idea. They think you'll remember the smell of GSR, the supersonic cracks, poo poo like that. I can't remember a loving thing about any of that poo poo, its a blur. What sticks with you though, what sticks with you 100 percent is what your comrades are saying, when they're hit, when they're fighting, when they're scared.

I'll never forget the words "What is wrong with you Abu Hajar!?!" being roared at me by my panicking comrades.

War is hell, kiddos.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=462886242#post462886242

Top 10 all time post from that thread

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Can’t stop here, this is Ba’ath country” is a god-tier thread title.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GIP's Greatest Hits

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/833187143563345940/851551728943890432/1f97ebd31ec7856c.mp4

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That seems...ideal

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

No thank you

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dude handled that poo poo like a pro

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Greatest hits. Does anyone have the early OIF drugged up truck drivers war boys text handy? Need to add it to my military.txt file.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spaceguns posted:

Greatest hits. Does anyone have the early OIF drugged up truck drivers war boys text handy? Need to add it to my military.txt file.

I think this is the one you're after

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&pagenumber=420&perpage=40&userid=0#post496237500

And here's some fresh content

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 8, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That truck is violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mainly because the hood is drat near at the driver's eye level. I can't believe that poo poo passes pedestrian safety laws.