Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It looks like I hadn’t logged in here in about 5 years. I should come here more often because forums > FB & reddit.

Anyways, even back then we had the Leaf - bought it new in 2013. It’s now the highest mileage EV in the State of Alaska, and I’ve gone in front of the Regulator Commission of Alaska (which I did not realize was a court room until I was sitting there) to argue about EV charging rates.

The motorcycle *runs*, but it needs crank seals so I don’t tear up the bearings. I have the garage space and parts right now so that’s my next project; I just bought a motorcycle lift the other day. I inherited that bike from my dad (who is still alive but can’t really ride due to a bum ankle); he proposed to my mom while they were out riding on it. We originally restored it back when I was in high school. 3,300 original miles on a 1976 Yamaha DT250B.

I’ve been a boat guy my whole life, they’ve just never been mine or projects before. My parents got an 18’ zodiac when I was 5 and upgraded to a 22’ walkaround when I was 11. My dad retired a few years ago and picked up a consulting gig for a bit. He decided he wanted to buy a bigger boat now that my sister is married to a great guy this time and they have kids. So when the Alaska economy went to poo poo he bought a very slightly used (the sounder hadn’t even been set up!) 28’ North River aluminum cabin cruiser for half price. My FIL had been shopping for either a new outboard or a bigger boat; he bought the walkaround from my parents (my dad took impeccable care of it and it came with a support plan and running buddy). Rather than sell a boat with a questionable outboard, they visited us and dropped off their old boat. It’s a 1986 Hewescraft River Runner. We got 5 weekends out of it that summer, I flushed it every time, took good care of it...but when I went to winterize the engine that year, it was seized. In the driveway, two weeks after we’d taken it camping for Labor Day weekend. Of all the places for an outboard to seize, the driveway had to be the best.

That also turned out to be a shitshow because a TV pilot was shot in my garage and now I had a big dead boat to get out of the way. It all worked out but we still need a new outboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Advent Horizon posted:

a TV pilot was shot in my garage

You're just going to leave that lying there like that?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Darchangel posted:

You're just going to leave that lying there like that?

I'm glad someone said it, we definitely need more info!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Alaska Treasure Hunters on the Travel Channel. It was some friends and they needed a space to film; you can see my house in the opening scene and all the indoor shots were in my garage. I’m otherwise not involved.

Travel channel got bought by Discovery shortly after it aired and none of that year’s pilots were picked up.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Just found this picture of the time I met Revelations and DJ Commie driving Das Volks 190e across the US. Didn't it end up in a couple of goons hands?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
This is still my sig. Never changed it. None of my cars are fun anymore, as befits my new role as dad and husband and all that junk. But they're sensible, and my dadness appreciates that.

I eventually owned that bike. Not the Telefonica Movistar edition, just the base trim. It was a rocket. Sup Aeka and rope kid.

Edit: Sig didn't post. It was hosted on hosting I haven't had for a decade. Cool story, dad.

iKon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 14, 2021

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Blooot? Datsun 510, Canadian? Plywood furniture, built some parts of the Audi for I, Digit?

Moved to SF to build robots, took my 510 rallying and then dropped off the forms for reasons I don't recall. After that I worked on the best electric sport bike ever (Mission Motors Mission R), designed the battery pack for the prototype Harley Livewires, sold the 510 (which one of the owners after me put on BAT this week), returned to compete at Battlebots for a couple seasons then became a judge on the show (we're fliming again in August), did a dozen or so 24h of Lemons races, designed much of the 3D printer that makes Adidas futurecrafts sneakers, had an AP2 S2000 for a stint and am now embarking on a new ambitious car project I was considering returning to AI to post about. Thanks for thinking of me!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ha, I found some of the bits you sent me for AISS years ago while packing/unpacking my garage. Glad to see you back!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Blooot posted:

Moved to SF to build robots, took my 510 rallying and then dropped off the forms for reasons I don't recall. After that I worked on the best electric sport bike ever (Mission Motors Mission R), designed the battery pack for the prototype Harley Livewires, sold the 510 (which one of the owners after me put on BAT this week), returned to compete at Battlebots for a couple seasons then became a judge on the show (we're fliming again in August), did a dozen or so 24h of Lemons races, designed much of the 3D printer that makes Adidas futurecrafts sneakers, had an AP2 S2000 for a stint and am now embarking on a new ambitious car project I was considering returning to AI to post about. Thanks for thinking of me!

Good poster returns and has stories? Start a thread. Especially about Battlebots :swoon:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Blooot posted:

Hey there! You're welcome. Bad typo on my part, my last word should have been Robot not Digit. You did do a bunch of design on the I, Robot Audi, right?

Welcome back, I'm sure we'd love to hear about pretty much any of that stuff. Your 510 was epic. Definitely want to hear all your can share about BattleBots! I've heard a lot of things about the more recent seasons, but it would be good to get a first hand account.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Blooot posted:

Do post more.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Blooot posted:

You swam by the other day for whatever reason.

I was thinking about your thread about megasquirting your 510 and how you had to plan for and time your breaks because you couldn't leave your tools laying about.

Still incredibly impressive you managed that conversation at all, let alone with that added complication.

Welcome back man.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Hey there! You're welcome. Bad typo on my part, my last word should have been Robot not Digit. You did do a bunch of design on the I, Robot Audi, right?

Welcome back, I'm sure we'd love to hear about pretty much any of that stuff. Your 510 was epic. Definitely want to hear all your can share about BattleBots! I've heard a lot of things about the more recent seasons, but it would be good to get a first hand account.

Yeah I worked on the crash/stunt Audi in my former life in film. Engineering in the bay area is much better deal tho.

It's probably wack to just link reddit posts, but I did a couple of Battlebots AMAs -- one as a competitor and one as a judge: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/4ur7ti/ama_derek_young_and_mission_destruction_team/
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/m3pjrf/the_three_judges_at_arenaside_have_scored_the/ Happy to answer anything specific otherwise.

glyph posted:

I was thinking about your thread about megasquirting your 510 and how you had to plan for and time your breaks because you couldn't leave your tools laying about.

Still incredibly impressive you managed that conversation at all, let alone with that added complication.

Welcome back man.

Thanks, yes that Megasquirt EFI project was intense. I own a house now and have a garage, but it's a only a one car (but large) and also my wife's gym since COVID. I don't have any nice cars right now thankfully so I don't need park in it. That said I AM using it to wrench on a new project, which will present its own logistical challenges....

I've wanted a sport bike powered car for a long time (for the sound and sequential box), but the level of effort to build one is daunting and the actual end results seem mixed-- take a tiny vintage (no smog) car and hack it up (see SuperFastMatt on youtube for example), and then figure out how to get it to go backwards, and have your neighbors hat you when you slip the clutch to the moon to get rolling at every stop. I've also wanted to do something more technology focused and with my EV background a custom EV project seems like a no-brainer, but having built them professionally I know that they have a bunch of complications (and safety hazards) as well, and then there's the range issue of any car without an OEM sized battery pack which is hard to package in a car not designed for it (see any Bolt battery/Tesla drivetrain car -- the current DIY EV flavor du jour).

BUT -- how about we go one step further and combine those two things together and make a bike powered hybrid? Take a small AWD car (323 GTX, Civic wagon, Impreza) and electrify the front drive (I have some custom leftover motor-less Quaife EV transaxles from my Mission days), add in a small power-dense battery pack, register it as an EV conversion (no smog!) and throw a bike motor the rear. You get the sound and fury of sport bike motor with the torque, reverse and energy recapture from the EV drivetrain, but no range issues. Sounds a lot more complex, but I've never let complexity get in the way of a great/terrible idea (see my second Battlebot Pressure Drop). Thinking about it more, it seemed like a great long-term project for when I have lots of spare time. Did I mention I have two kids? Clearly this would have to wait until they're teenagers and don't want to spend any time with me. But this is a depressing thought, both regarding the kids and the fact my dream project can't be pursued for years.

While talking with an engineer friend of mine about this fantasy car project his suggestion was think about what you could do in a weekend with a group of friends -- focus on doing it as simply and quick as possible, keeping the design and fab tasks down. Treat it as a proof of concept before signing up for a massive long term project -- who knows, the whole thing could suck. Sound, sensible advice, that got me thinking about how to drive complexity out. So I've come up with this, and while it won't take a weekend, it has been distilled down enough to convince my wife that I can pull it off without abandoning our family or having her leave me:

Step one, forget about starting with a cool vintage platform. Instead start with a production FWD EV platform and keep 100% of the stock EV parts so you have a drivable car from the get go (with reverse, AC and all the modern other car stuff) and with no need for any EV engineering. Next, find a car that has space enough for a rear drive subframe from another car and the bike engine (with minimal mods) in the back (IE doesn't crash into the battery), and cross your fingers that they can be had cheap, since I'm just going to rune it with this Frankenstein project. Mix these parts together with some metal, machining and weld beads et voila -- proof of concept DIY road-coupled hybrid.

After gathering as much info as I could on the potential vehicles it was clear that a Gen1 Nissan Leaf was going to be my best bet -- and could be had cheap. Through info found on google image search, forums and service manuals, I determined with CAD assisted overlays of photographs that there was likely enough space for a Gen2 Lexus IS rear subframe in the rear, which has a similar (slightly more narrow track width), a small mounting footprint and the same wheel bolt pattern. With the EV drive providing off the line torque, there no need for a big bore Hayabusa or ZX1400 (which along with being $$$ suffer from oiling issues without a dry sump anyway), and modern 1000cc bikes make nearly as much power. GrabCAD had a *chef-kiss* perfect CAD of a CBR954RR engine that I used to get a feel for how a liter bike engine and chain drive might package in the hatch of the Leaf. I also spent a bunch of timing thinking of system level issues -- how to make it all work together, and what could be simplified or pushed to a later date after just getting the whole thing working. I also found a deadline -- Autopia 2099 https://www.instagram.com/autopia2099/ -- an EV car show organized by Bradley Brownell who was one of the people behind Radwood -- who is ALSO building a DIY road coupled hybrid, (a Boxster with a leaf front drive). I do love a deadline and the idea of driving a sport bike powered Leaf down to LA to roll into this EV gathering felt too perfect.

After watching all the usual spots (CL, Barf, Copart) for cheap liter bikes for a month or so, I finally came across an unfinished project 2009 Kawasaki ZX10R -- lacking body work, having backed DMV fees and a clutch that was stuck engaged, I seized the moment bought it over the phone for $2200 while on vacation in Hawaii. The day I got back I towed it home from Sacramento to SF in a uhaul trailer behind my TSX wagon. After getting the clutch back in order, I proceeded to disassemble the engine to release it from the frame. The whole package is so tiny and cute. My wife helped me do the final release from the bike and lift it onto a dolly without much effort. The tech is also amazing -- two layers of ITBs, 8 fuel injectors, full titanium exhaust, insanely tight packaging. Goes to show how much of the cost of a car is wrapped up in doors, interior etc. You get rid of all this crap and suddenly you can have an engine that can make 200hp/liter.

I have now taken photos and measurements and am getting the engine into CAD to design motor mounts and the chain line assembly. Looking at FSAE projects for inspiration here, except those kids put too much effort and analysis in for my tastes (IE I'm not going to that trouble in my free time), so I'm also looking to circle track tech -- certain classes run 1000cc motors and have VERY straight forward motor cradle designs. In any case, I plan to just over build. This car is going to be a pig (probably 3800lbs), so I'm not going to be a weight weenie -- as running endless FEA studies and optimizing is counter to my project ethos (remember: fast, simple, proof of concept).

I also found a Leaf -- a minty 2013 SV with 38k miles and a battery with a sad 60% State of Health (but 9 "bars" on the battery meter), which led to the reasonable price of $5k. I had my friend Mike (who is helping me with this project) drive me down to Santa Cruz to get it, after which I hypermiled it over 17 to get to a charging station on the other side of the hill to charge to 100% (about 40 miles) to make it back to SF. 2011 and 2012s could be had cheaper but they have their chargers right behind the rear seats and relocating a water cooled EV charger wasn't about to end up in in my already lengthy to-do list. I immediately stripped the rear seats and trunk interior out, and removed the rear under tray making it much sportier (with only 2 seats) and adding greatly to NVH. Next steps are to get it up on jack stands and take measurements to get it into CAD.

Another purchase I made to avoid fabrication was splashing out on a $1400 sealed Quaife LSDs designed for chain drive (typically used in FSAE or DSR) from https://www.taylor-race.com/ which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

In the next few days I'll be picking up a complete (minus differential) Gen2 Lexus IS rear subframe from a wrecker, for $600 for the whole thing disc to disc minus the diff, which I don't need.

I've also bought a bunch of mechanical components to build a shifter and clutch pedal, and electronics (Arduino of course) to interface with the Leaf throttle pedal (which will send signals to a servo running the bike throttle, and signals up to the Leaf controller) and have worked out modes and theory of operation.

The first major milestone will be getting the engine and driveline built up on the subframe. I plan to have it all running as a bread-board of sorts before it goes into the car. After that it's the heavy lifting of hacking the unibody and figuring out how to combine the new subframe. In the midst is figuring out exhaust and cooling and axles and fuel and a bunch of other problems I don't even know about. But that's all part of the fun, right?

In summary this project combines all sorts of things I love -- sportbike powered cars, EVs, twin motor AWD setups, rolling science projects, and weird rear end poo poo no one else has done.

I can't be bothered to edit my project photos, so here's a google album that I just dump them all in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hBUezQtiCVuvTPQ99

Note -- WOAH this post took me OVER two hours to draft when I could be working on the project itself. I think I REALLY know why I stopped posting content. That said, I do want to document this and get down my thoughts, build hype, and solicit technical feedback. I'll spin this into a thread, which I will likely cross post on a couple other forums. Thanks for reading!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Blooot posted:

In summary this project combines all sorts of things I love -- sportbike powered cars, EVs, twin motor AWD setups, rolling science projects, and weird rear end poo poo no one else has done.

I can't be bothered to edit my project photos, so here's a google album that I just dump them all in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hBUezQtiCVuvTPQ99

Note -- WOAH this post took me OVER two hours to draft when I could be working on the project itself. I think I REALLY know why I stopped posting content. That said, I do want to document this and get down my thoughts, build hype, and solicit technical feedback. I'll spin this into a thread, which I will likely cross post on a couple other forums. Thanks for reading!

That is a really cool project, even if you just photo dump to a thread or post in this one when you add stuff to the google album.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
hell yes blooot. this project is just the right kind of weird and cutting edge. i hope you post a thread!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:justpost:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh god, thread please yessssss

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh this sounds super cool. I’m glad you’re back already, you didn’t need to bring us such a nice gift too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That is a giant wholesome post and I hope you keep us all updated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I stumbled into this thread ... somehow from seeing that Das Volk got banned a year back for being a Nazi.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Just found this picture of the time I met Revelations and DJ Commie driving Das Volks 190e across the US. Didn't it end up in a couple of goons hands?

DV bought it from a some kid SA poster. He'd signed the title over to DV, but DV never converted that into a CA title for himself
He sold it to me without making it 100% what was going on there, so I basically had to track down the PO myself and beg him to cut me a new title just to sign it over. This took something like... 5 months? It was a huge pain in the rear end and soured me tremendously on the car, and I was biting my tongue at the time cuz DV seemed to be in the in crowd at the time and I just didn't want to light him up for how cavalierly he washed his hands of that car.

One more story now that I've read through the whole thread --
back when ultimateforce was still trying to keep Kaizen Tuning (is that the right name for his shop?) afloat and offering to weld people random knickknacks, I commissioned him to make me a stainless steel mug. He tried but couldn't get it done to his own satisfaction. He send me a few pics and I was like, just send it to me! But he refunded my money and was out his time, and I guess also the material.

So yeah, I have still be incredibly active on SA -- that weird database issue we had a few years ago locked the Boston thread in an inconsistent way, and since we were the LAN thread with the most posts, we resolved to shitpost ourselves back up to the top as fast as we could. There just as here, the names have rotated some, and the numbers aren't as strong as they used to be, but the community is still good. And likewise, everyone who's still standing is a lot more left and class conscious, all to the good.
I am quite active in the few bicyling threads on SA -- that's definitely where my project mentality has shifted. It's so much easier and cheaper to build a bike from scratch, or to completely swap its components. InitialDave -- what happened to that Orange you were looking at getting?

Reading through here and seeing slidebite's and leica's discussion on TBI reminded me --
when I did that Lemons Race in 2018, I was less than a month past a concussion I got in a kickboxing match. I enjoyed everything about the event except the driving, and for that, I was just not able to keep up. I don't think I was a safety risk out there, like driving so badly that I was gonna make bad contact or hurt someone, but I just couldn't push it. Muffinpox was also driving, and there had to be 10+ seconds in our lap times. I mean there would have been a sizable gap even if I were 100%, but man it was frustrating.

In fall 2019, one of my best friends, and definitely the person IRL who had the biggest love of cars, got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. She was gone less than half a year later. It was pretty hard to see it happen. I'm very glad she got to drive the 348 a bit before I sold it. I think about that car a lot and will talk about it with anyone who gets into my car history. It's such a high point for me, and I hope everyone enjoys a car as much as I did that one. Anyways, her death put some more damper on my willingness to have some crazy ride. Having moved from the apartment with an underground parking spot and being left with just an outdoor spot, I felt less willing to wrench on stuff at leisure.
I sold off the NG95, sold off the S65, and am left with just the Element SC. Great car for our needs now, just not a thrill to drive. I looked briefly at getting one in manual, and the ~3k premium didn't seem worth it for how we use it. It's basically my wife's work truck.

I see some smug fucker driving around all the time in his awesome Suzuki kei truck, and if any of my stock options actually hit, maybe that'll be the next crazy thing I get.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A lot of good stuff there, and I've already been drinking, so this isn't a completely coherent reply, but I'm glad you've kept up with the biking, I hope my brakes served you well. :D

As far as DV goes, I was looking at BaT today and wondered if he now regrets his life choices:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-dodge-viper-acr-extreme-24/
Wasn't his second Viper and ACR with the aero package?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

A lot of good stuff there, and I've already been drinking, so this isn't a completely coherent reply, but I'm glad you've kept up with the biking, I hope my brakes served you well. :D

As far as DV goes, I was looking at BaT today and wondered if he now regrets his life choices:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-dodge-viper-acr-extreme-24/
Wasn't his second Viper and ACR with the aero package?

it was a TA2.0, wasn't it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I never liked that guy but I figured it was just me, hah. Oh well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in hindsight probably should have been obvious that a guy with the username Das Volk would be uh, a nazi

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can’t remember when I stumbled upon AI, but Bruiser’s street sweeper tales (may still have a link to them, somewhere) caught my attention. Stayed for project threads, problem-solving, and general good fellowship.

The resurrected family dairy ‘53 Chevy truck, then the Divco that followed; the Thames camper van of Theusus; Lobsterboy X’s Buick’s and garage of wonders.

Then there was my personal experience, in Adabiatic’s thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812091

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

Holy gently caress, I, somehow, missed this five years ago. Mind. Blown.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

LOL. Crazy crazy Chrysler. I've never seen another issue that nuts before or since.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Raluek posted:

it was a TA2.0, wasn't it?

Yup, I got confused. I thought the blue TA was the first one, then he got the black one that I misremembered as an ACR. In reality, black was first, then the TA. TA is still selling for WAY over original sticker...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bolind posted:

Same. After reading the first post I'm excited to read the rest. :allears:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh my Chrysler. Do we have a Chrysler smilie? I imagine if we did it fell apart by now.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Trouser Chili, do you still have the ITR?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

trouser chili posted:

Oh my Chrysler. Do we have a Chrysler smilie? I imagine if we did it fell apart by now.

It got bought and pillaged a few times. Now it barely functions.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yes, I still have it.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
First login in nearly 10 years... saw a random YouTube video recently about the fall of SA/Lowtax so intrigued me to check out the site again.

Wasn't a heavy poster on the forums, but when I was around stuck mainly to AI, even participated in the Secret Santa a few times. I remember getting a really neat Ford GT glossy photo and some other knickknacks (IOwnCalculus rings a bell). Forget what I sent out but most likely was some car detailing products.

My enthusiast car back in during posting days was a GMC Typhoon.. of which I still have.. actually picked up another GMC Typhoon that is close to stock and in excellent condition. Sorta got into Hondas just randomly and have a CRX (and a parts CRX that was B20 swapped), also a EG Hatch B16 Turbo Civic that dyno's just under 500whp. Got another oddball car that is a Subaru BRAT which I've procrastinated on fixing the slipping clutch so it's just been sitting 5 years (indoors).

epix fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 31, 2022

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

epix posted:

First login in nearly 10 years...

Create thread about it all, update when progress happens. If anything it’s a great way to keep track your poo poo and keep the projects moving. I like Honda poo poo.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

bolind posted:

Same here, I saw the word "dodge" and reflexively did.

Blooot posted:

Note -- WOAH this post took me OVER two hours to draft when I could be working on the project itself. I think I REALLY know why I stopped posting content.

See, I'm the opposite. This is hobby level for me, so I burn out after a few hours usually. The payoff for me is sharing it with others, I get a lot of motivation out of attaboys and complements, so I loved working through something, taking a bunch of pics, and then debriefing online. I usually post my content on 3 different forums. Which is why when I started having trouble diagnosing stuff on a money pit car I lost all my motivation. I had no success to share, and it caused me to want to do it less. Then my priorities shifted and I've already spent more on my new loving house than I did on any of my last 3 car projects. And now I'm kind of regretting buying it, because I would have much rather spent that money on a car. Sigh.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Yes, I still have it.

There it is, the only original-owner ITR on the planet that’s never been stolen. The title alone is museum-worthy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

the Thames camper van of Theusus;

Did kevbarlas ever finish that? He posted a few little projects for the kids in his family, then just sort of trailed off.

bolind posted:

:same:
That was an entertaining read. Wish I'd caught it live.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I miss Kev, his thread was an amazing saga. I hope life is treating him well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can't imagine there's more than one person going by kevbarlas putting a 1UZ in a Ford Thames - there's updates as recently as mid-2020 here and if search is to be believed that's at least two years newer than his last posts on these dead forums.