Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i want to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
https://abcnews.go.com/International/ufo-china-closes-airport-prompts-investigation/story?id=11159531 This was a pretty wild incident imo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I can't get the video to load, but it looks like there's only still images? Meh.

Otoh,

quote:

Occurred : 7/10/2010 23:00 (Entered as : 07/10/10 23:00)
Reported: 7/10/2010 1:59:01 PM 13:59
Posted: 7/19/2010
Shape: Rectangle
Duration:As reported
Rectangular craft over China same as sighting in Washington State.

Several years ago I made a report of a UFO that I observed in rural Washington state.

The UFO I talked about seemed to appear as if it came out of a hole in the night sky about a half mile from me. I also mentioned that it seemed to be headed down at an angle that would take it to a small grouping of ground lights that looked like a small town in the distance.

The craft crossed the highway in front of me and just as it came closer to the ground it disappeared as if into another hole in our air space. I pulled off the highway, took out my Road Atlas to find out what town the ground lights in the distance was. There were no towns on the map, however, the area in question was shown on the map with the words "Military Reservation".

About a half mile further down the road, I came to a very long road going off to the right towards the lights. There was no sign of any kind.

Until the UFO sighting reported today above the airport in China, I had never heard of a rectangular UFO being reported. The photo shown in the report is representative of the UFO I observed years ago in Washington State.

I thought my comments might be important to someone.

They were important to at least one person, friend!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Another thing that's kinda blowing my mind as I reflect is that they wheeled out Obama on talk shows to start seeding this stuff.

People are still laughing it off but I think we are inching towards denialism bit by bit and then acceptance.

How long until we get a primetime presidential address? Is the heavy fox push to get rightwingers on board? You don't get much more coverage than Obama for the libs and Tucker for the right and they both have done multiple cracks at it

Is it just a sea of grifters who can smell blood in the water and want to get a bite while they have a chance?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

WEH posted:

I can't get the video to load, but it looks like there's only still images? Meh.

Otoh,
They were important to at least one person, friend!

neither are tic tacs? sounds like we’ve got 2 more alien civilizations here!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
yes it's a well known fact that advanced alien civilizations can only produce a single functional probe design

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

yes it's a well known fact that advanced alien civilizations can only produce a single functional probe design

Which is why all of our aircraft, regardless of purpose, look identical

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

real talk for a moment. they absolutely have high resolution imagery of these objects and I demand they be released immediately because im pretty bored right now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Google Butt posted:

real talk for a moment. they absolutely have high resolution imagery of these objects and I demand they be released immediately because im pretty bored right now

Seconding this. The MIB super secrecy is really played out too. Let us see the weird poo poo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Another thing that's kinda blowing my mind as I reflect is that they wheeled out Obama on talk shows to start seeding this stuff.

People are still laughing it off but I think we are inching towards denialism bit by bit and then acceptance.

How long until we get a primetime presidential address? Is the heavy fox push to get rightwingers on board? You don't get much more coverage than Obama for the libs and Tucker for the right and they both have done multiple cracks at it

Is it just a sea of grifters who can smell blood in the water and want to get a bite while they have a chance?

The more (epistemically) conservative answer is that for some reason the hegemonic state is now on the same page as every other major government in the world, which is relatively agnostic and accommodating.

This is one of the very few things that the American government has actually changed its mind and perhaps policy about in the last 70 years. It’s the only sort of “change of mind” that has happened which can accurately be described as bipartisan.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

They won't show us because an inordinate number of the hieroglyphs on the craft are just variations of dickbutt

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

They won't show us because an inordinate number of the hieroglyphs on the craft are just variations of dickbutt

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Which is why all of our aircraft, regardless of purpose, look identical

so what's the thought here - this alien civilization which understands physics to a far more extreme degree than us decided to make some of the crafts less efficiently shaped? or is the hypothesis that the glowing ones with comets are used for abduction, the squares are used to demonstrate vertical lift at hypersonic speeds while not actually interacting with our environment thus leaving nothing behind, and the tic tacs are used to pop onto fighter jet radar for 5 minutes?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

three body problem is an interesting series but it really has to stretch things thin to even give its space fascists an excuse to invade so we can be space fascists too. even if they were loving with our particle reactor results it would be to keep us contained until we get our act together.

however, human institutions being dogmatic even as their fanboys jerk off all over everyone's face about how their wisdom contains all knowledge is basic human behaviour. new paradigms in science, historically, occur when an older generation who refused to abandon the ideas they were taught have died off, and that's in "rational" "englightenment" europe.

preemptive call on the entire appeal of cosmic inflation being that donors liked it because they associated the word "inflation" with serious important business

(mostly just kidding, the core science behind inflation does seem like the best fit for what we know)

you're stretching our physics limitations way more than they are - as far as i can tell you're relating the missing link between general relativity & newtonian physics as proof that all of our physics is based on the assumption of no gravity..?? (even though we have planes and have launched ships to other planets). even if we had the missing link it wouldn't matter in this context. if these aliens are real it would have to mean this world is a manufactured fake and the physics outside of it have no bearing on the fake environment that we were incubated in

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

so what's the thought here - this alien civilization which understands physics to a far more extreme degree than us decided to make some of the crafts less efficiently shaped? or is the hypothesis that the glowing ones with comets are used for abduction, the squares are used to demonstrate vertical lift at hypersonic speeds while not actually interacting with our environment thus leaving nothing behind, and the tic tacs are used to pop onto fighter jet radar for 5 minutes?

You can take very good pictures with a cellphone these days but a dedicated camera will always take better ones because of the bigass lenses. Or - sure you can cut down a tree with a multi tool but an axe is probably preferable.

Or maybe the different types Voltron together into a giant mother ship for long distance travel and fighting space kaiju

Or maybe it's like space classic car culture

But more likely it's a smattering of unknown natural phenomena and physical craft and we aren't sure which is which

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

getting a camper trailer, putting a skyhub cam on it, and starting a new life as a uap hunter. wish me luck goons. first stop is area 51 gift shop to find a bobblehead alien to put on the dash

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

You can take very good pictures with a cellphone these days but a dedicated camera will always take better ones because of the bigass lenses. Or - sure you can cut down a tree with a multi tool but an axe is probably preferable.

Or maybe the different types Voltron together into a giant mother ship for long distance travel and fighting space kaiju

Or maybe it's like space classic car culture

But more likely it's a smattering of unknown natural phenomena and physical craft and we aren't sure which is which

if aliens are real and come here and they don't pull an independence day and destroy the white house then i don't even want to talk to those dumbass liberals imo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

if aliens are real and come here and they don't pull an independence day and destroy the white house then i don't even want to talk to those dumbass liberals imo

If they've been here and in contact with our leadership we can guarantee they are space liberals for believing those fuckers have our interests at heart instead of storming down and unleashing glorious space communism upon us right then and there

Instead we've got to pull ourselves up by our own space bootstraps I guess

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's important to look at what is happening through the lens of narrative.

Right now, we're seeing an overall reset of the narrative away from the extraterrestrial hypothesis. That narrative had been building since the 60s at least and by the 90s, it had metastisized into complex alien exopolitical structures and alliances, with proponents asserting with absolute surety that any day now, either a flying saucer is gonna land on the White House lawn and we'll have first contact with the benevolent space brothers or we'll all be rounded up by the evil aliens and taking off to camps for nefarious purposes. Pretty much every surviving member of that old guard had some exceptionally detailed ideas about what was behind all of it, though a few at least avoided really being pinned down publicly.

While it didn't really go away, I think 9/11 and the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan really took a lot of the air out of the anti-government UFO movement as it became really easy to just say "secret tech" and handwave away anyone questioning the government narrative as unpatriotic. A growing understanding of the government as nefarious probably helped the skeptical argument, actually, since it's easy to just say that of course it's secret tech, the government lies all the time, so of course they're lying about this.

The narrative reset that's been happening for a while has been driven by a new generation of researchers who simultaneously reject that the phenomenon is nothing but also reject all the cruft that's been built around it by the old guard of Ufologists who all went very deep down the rabbit holes of their own personal theories.

The videos TTSA released represent something of a watershed moment. On one hand, they don't show anything that wasn't already in copious amounts of witness reports, but on the other, they were basically able to take the line that same Ufologists have been taking for a while now, which is "this is what's happening, we don't know what it is, but it's doing something we literally cannot do ourselves and which we've never seen any other country do either".

That reset in narrative basically flips the script on the skeptical side by giving them a video which is as guaranteed genuine as you can get and military experts saying that we don't have anything that can do that and we don't think other countries do either, and saying "explain that" when there are no good explanations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

multiple different alien species. Earth is part of a five parsec demilitarized zone between Four feuding alien empires, and the UAP’s are just checking in to see if the other empire broke the agreement

This is the basic history of the Spiral Arm, how do you not know this?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

getting a camper trailer, putting a skyhub cam on it, and starting a new life as a uap hunter. wish me luck goons. first stop is area 51 gift shop to find a bobblehead alien to put on the dash

Don't forget to get a MADAR! What's it actually do? No clue and the store page is down :tinfoil:

Also lol in searching for MADAR it turns out nicap has a public facing directory on the subject for some reason so now im digging through that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

why waste time finding a bobblehead alien when u can just look in the mirror

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

The Protagonist posted:

We’re actually being visited by a gaggle of interstellar traveling salesmen that rushed here as soon as word of a military-industrial complex worth pitching reached them. They are all demonstrating their own models of probecraft, but severe differences in communicative style are preventing their patter from being understood.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Xenophanes posted:

We’re actually being visited by a gaggle of interstellar traveling salesmen that rushed here as soon as word of a military-industrial complex worth pitching reached them. They are all demonstrating their own models of probecraft, but severe differences in communicative style are preventing their patter from being understood.

gotta take a page from america's playbook and just drop one of their space nukes on us to demonstrate their might that'll bring a lot to the negotiating table

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xenophanes posted:

Even worse, the only thing of value we can offer these celestial salesman are human bodies for their own twisted machinations and the nectar sweet flesh of honeybell oranges (but those are only available for brief periods towards the end of march so...)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

gently caress - can you imagine if the aliens have to talk to joe biden instead of donald "the art of the deal" trump? we're gonna get snake oil

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

aliens are coming to earth because they only have mids to smoke

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

gently caress - can you imagine if the aliens have to talk to joe biden instead of donald "the art of the deal" trump? we're gonna get snake oil

That after they spent years working with the Clintons for the big galactic welcoming ceremony in 2016
It's disappointment after disappointment for them

The only reason Trump formed space force is because they slighted him by refusing to do the reveal with him

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The thing is, the videos aren't going away. I personally feel they aren't going to be debunked as some black site drone or software glitch. And if this is the case, eventually more hi def records will be leaked, eventually old ufo reports will be combed through and found to be pretty correlated with the 120 sightings we've had recently, eventually all of this will seep into mainstream culture more. It just feels like the currently released recent uap info is kind of an immovable object. imo aliens aren't any more plausible than ghosts or angels or gods, all of which are firmly in the speculation without evidence category. But something has to give.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Well... We have pretty good evidence of Life having evolved at least once. And it would be really weird if it never happened anywhere else. And it would be really weird if life was teeming out there in the universe for there to not be all sorts of evidence of it zipping around and oh hey

Yeah there's no fermi paradox.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

Well... We have pretty good evidence of Life having evolved at least once. And it would be really weird if it never happened anywhere else. And it would be really weird if life was teeming out there in the universe for there to not be all sorts of evidence of it zipping around and oh hey

Yeah there's no fermi paradox.

And you have to assume most of those species don't accidentally create capitalism and kneecap their intellectual development for hundreds of years

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

That after they spent years working with the Clintons for the big galactic welcoming ceremony in 2016
It's disappointment after disappointment for them

The only reason Trump formed space force is because they slighted him by refusing to do the reveal with him

god drat. now you've got me considering - what if they aren't actually aliens they're the future democratic party sending their final operatives back in time because the demographics destiny didn't pan out and the party is nearly dead. their only hope was to get hillary clinton elected to change the future. now they may just pull a classic democrat move of just killing everyone.

this is why they aren't beholden to the laws of physics - they aren't moving through space, they're moving through time... they are time machines not spacecrafts

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Google Butt posted:

why waste time finding a bobblehead alien when u can just look in the mirror

He needs it for the intro scene of the alien movie where we start with an establishing shot of the bobblehead bouncing as they drive an old car down a dusty desert road, right before they cut to the government agencies "detecting something" and they finally have to admit the crazy goon was right all along and they become the crazy person in the back that's dressed like a bum but is "surprisingly" able to answer their complex questions about the aliens with confidence.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Vomik posted:

god drat. now you've got me considering - what if they aren't actually aliens they're the future democratic party sending their final operatives back in time because the demographics destiny didn't pan out and the party is nearly dead. their only hope was to get hillary clinton elected to change the future. now they may just pull a classic democrat move of just killing everyone.

this is why they aren't beholden to the laws of physics - they aren't moving through space, they're moving through time... they are time machines not spacecrafts

hey ive seen Travelers too

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

And you have to assume most of those species don't accidentally create capitalism and kneecap their intellectual development for hundreds of years

Only one needs to make it to spread out throughout space in a few million years. What's the accepted time horizon for how long terrestrial earth-like worlds might have been evolving life? 10 billion years, 15 billion years?

Most civilizations almost certainly die out just like most species do

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the aliens are gangstalking and gaslighting the deep state

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

He needs it for the intro scene of the alien movie where we start with an establishing shot of the bobblehead bouncing as they drive an old car down a dusty desert road, right before they cut to the government agencies "detecting something" and they finally have to admit the crazy goon was right all along and they become the crazy person in the back that's dressed like a bum but is "surprisingly" able to answer their complex questions about the aliens with confidence.

Honor to be posting with you Mr. Emmerich

The Protagonist posted:

Only one needs to make it to spread out throughout space in a few million years. What's the accepted time horizon for how long terrestrial earth-like worlds might have been evolving life? 10 billion years, 15 billion years?

Most civilizations almost certainly die out just like most species do

True, and given that you only need 1 positive result and you have essentially infinite rolls of the dice I don't see how the math works out in favor of "no aliens"
I suppose since the universe is infinitely big though that one grand prize spacefarer civilization could be all the way on the other end or whatever but who the gently caress knows really

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Google Butt posted:

hey ive seen Travelers too

i looked this up cause i was curious if there was a show actually based on democrats time traveling bc i'd have to watch it but this show is just the fbi time tra---- ohhhhhhh

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the cia launching coups in South America is doing self-care, they cope with the unfamiliar by returning to old habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bullfrog posted:

dude it will be like the movie twister