Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

not only do they not foster tournaments, they swarm the people who do with legal threats

blizzard got it right with hearthstone's emote-only chat and then hosed it up anyway by putting allchat in overwatch

The Nintendo solution of only allowing pre-selected phrases is great with how "I'm using tilt controls!" becomes the meanest thing you can say when you want to insult your opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

Oh in that case, we can all defer to Expert Sports Fan.

I'm not saying I'm an expert, but if you watch the footage it's quite obvious it's an accident.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I've never really treated esports as real sports. But if it has a huge drug problem that corporate sponsors try to cover up, and it's a male-dominated industry with multiple known rapists, then maybe it's time to give it the same respect as football.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

https://twitter.com/habman1969/status/1400592031110545408

Jets fans are losing their poo poo that people are actually upset about the possibly life-altering injury this guy did 100% on purpose

Head injuries, concussions etc. literally gently caress you up forever, they can completely change a person's personality, attitude, everything. There's a lot of "everybody makes mistakes :kiddo: but telling his family their son's a cruel fuckup, now that is just beyond the pale :mad:" which is like cmon guys, admit it's indefensible, quit feigning outrage or sublimating your anger about the suspension into concern trolling for his family's wellbeing :nallears:

Hockey is too violent, it's not part of the game, so on and so on. gently caress the Jets, can't wait for the team to move again.

Sports fans, in general, are very stupid when it comes to their teams. This isn't unique to the Jets and their fans.

And yeah hockey violence is loving stupid - one of the reasons I stopped watching was the bullshit that would happen near the end of blowout playoff games where the losing team would start acting like shitheads to "send a message" or whatever to the other team.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
In Alberta they soyface for weather

https://twitter.com/kyleheth/status/1401268439713341440?s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think good ol school hockey fighting probably prevented some of these insane life altering injuries by letting roided out 20somethings just punch each other futilely on the ice while unintentionally dancing around in circles for 15 seconds which gets all the testosterone poisoning abated for a bit

less angry hockey man smash grr I bet after you’ve punched a dude a couple times

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

ColdBlooded posted:

Sports fans, in general, are very stupid when it comes to their teams. This isn't unique to the Jets and their fans.

no leafs fan ever called me newfie

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
jake Evans makes $750k, he's not even a millionaire athlete.

also athletes are workers. except Tom Brady

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ah yes, the struggle continues at the job with a 750k minimum wage. truly a man of the people

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
oh no he only makes enough to outright buy a house in the Vancouver area with a year’s salary and change

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
750,000 american dollars. that's at least 8 figures here.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
can't believe how many people in here hate union members :rolleyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Salean posted:

no leafs fan ever called me newfie

leafs fans are incapable of hating anyone more than the leafs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reality Protester posted:

750,000 american dollars. that's at least 8 figures here.

still might not be able to buy a house with that :negative:

a two bedroom condo is $475k (not including the $300/month in strata fees, lmao) where I rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $1500/month. this country's housing market is hosed

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

luckily he can live in a hospital room until his head stops spinning from poor life choices

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kazinsal posted:

still might not be able to buy a house with that :negative:

a two bedroom condo is $475k (not including the $300/month in strata fees, lmao) where I rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $1500/month. this country's housing market is hosed

not to mention this country exists on the same planet as income taxes

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I think good ol school hockey fighting probably prevented some of these insane life altering injuries by letting roided out 20somethings just punch each other futilely on the ice while unintentionally dancing around in circles for 15 seconds which gets all the testosterone poisoning abated for a bit

less angry hockey man smash grr I bet after you’ve punched a dude a couple times

except the part where the punchmen who got punched in the head repeatedly also ended up with life-altering conditions and/or died

see: derek boogaard, rick rypien

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i'm somewhat sympathetic to pro athletes because they're among the few millionaires who have arguably earned it

training your whole life to be among the best in the world at a thing? sure, go get that bread

(ignore the part where the cost of entry is mid/upper six figgies and only children of rich families have a shot of making it big)

also they're still exploited by billionaire owners

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just because you nerds got bullied by the kids from the local peewee team in grade school doesn't mean that hockey is intrinsically bad or a NHL player deserves to get a brain injury.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

i'm somewhat sympathetic to pro athletes because they're among the few millionaires who have arguably earned it

training your whole life to be among the best in the world at a thing? sure, go get that bread

(ignore the part where the cost of entry is mid/upper six figgies and only children of rich families have a shot of making it big)

also they're still exploited by billionaire owners

also ignore the part where you have to have be born with very specific genetics to succeed at being a professional athlete. But yeah, they "earned" it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

known good gene-haver and genetic superman john kruk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yeah yeah we're talking about hockey, you need height and size, great cardio, and resistance to injury and immediate damage from steroids and coke

those are things you're just born with, THEN you have to win at the privileged upbringing game

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

We can ignore baseball because it is the good sport.

Unlike hockey, which is full of 6'3 240 lbs wife beating trump supporters.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

prom candy posted:

jake Evans makes $750k, he's not even a millionaire athlete.

also athletes are workers. except Tom Brady
He's also got a career with a very limited lifespan (in addition to limiting the lifespan of his cerebrum). Getting paid 750K sounds great until you have to live for the rest of your life on five years of that, and pay for your nursing, and also nobody ever taught you how to invest because it would distract from hockey.

But yeah, it's not so much the NHL players I particularly feel for but the legions of kids who topped out in junior and below who are still at risk of TBI.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

He's also got a career with a very limited lifespan (in addition to limiting the lifespan of his cerebrum). Getting paid 750K sounds great until you have to live for the rest of your life on five years of that, and pay for your nursing, and also nobody ever taught you how to invest because it would distract from hockey.

But yeah, it's not so much the NHL players I particularly feel for but the legions of kids who topped out in junior and below who are still at risk of TBI.

nhl players have pensions

must be the union

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

and also nobody ever taught you how to invest

the horror

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'd feel more solidarity with the players on labour issues if they weren't mostly either chuds or unengaged meatheads that vote right wing because "muh taxes". The head injury stuff is obviously very bad though.
The owners being pieces of poo poo goes without saying of course.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'm not saying I'm an expert, but if you watch the footage it's quite obvious it's an accident.

If Tavares wasn't hit in the first place he wouldn't have been on the ground to get fuckin kneed in the head at 40 kmph

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
also worth noting that jake Evans also plays for the Montreal canadiens which is part of the marginalized francophone community. a lot of people in this thread need to do better.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

... plays for the Montreal canadiens...

Unforgivable

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Yinlock posted:

leafs fans are incapable of hating anyone more than the leafs

wrong, ourselves.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

ColdBlooded posted:

I'd feel more solidarity with the players on labour issues if they weren't mostly either chuds or unengaged meatheads that vote right wing because "muh taxes". The head injury stuff is obviously very bad though.
The owners being pieces of poo poo goes without saying of course.

For real, show me a pro athlete who shows solidarity with the working class and I'll show you one that I would feel bad about him getting a concussion.

e: also I've been working too much to read this thread but literally all white French people are racist as poo poo and it's hilarious every time they pretend like anyone should give a poo poo about people being mean to them, especially when they immediately turn around and defend blatant obvious racist garbage immediately afterward.

Mafic Rhyolite has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Jun 6, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
idk how useful a union is when preventable career-ending injuries are a regular occurrence on the job and they do poo poo about it

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

For real, show me a pro athlete who shows solidarity with the working class and I'll show you one that I would feel bad about him getting a concussion.

e: also I've been working too much to read this thread but literally all white French people are racist as poo poo and it's hilarious every time they pretend like anyone should give a poo poo about people being mean to them, especially when they immediately turn around and defend blatant obvious racist garbage immediately afterward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/sports/basketball/nba-arena-workers-coronavirus.html

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

wrong, ourselves.

point

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

"thousands of Canadians dying each year due to companies forcing workers into dangerous situations and ignoring regulation" - I sleep

"rich sports man gets owie" - real poo poo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
We should just have fuckin Rollerball already since hockey as it exists is a half-assed substitute for actual bloodsport

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
shitposting aside women's hockey doesn't have as much of the bullshit and the games are still really fun to watch, often more than mens because it's not all clutch and grab. hockey is a great sport and if the nhl cleaned it up some it would be even better

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

shitposting aside women's hockey doesn't have as much of the bullshit and the games are still really fun to watch, often more than mens because it's not all clutch and grab. hockey is a great sport and if the nhl cleaned it up some it would be even better

This is true, especially during the Olympics. My father wouldn't let me play hockey, not that I was interested in the sport at all, I'm not really a team player when it comes to sports, mainly because I suck at them. (But for some strange reason he would let me play rugby? ) His father was a small town doctor during the 30's to 50's and instilled "Don't play hockey, you'll get hurt" in him from an early age. None of my cousins played either.

Having said all that, during one of the winter Olympics about 15-20 years ago, he started watching the women's hockey, and really could appreciate the game from that standpoint where the violence of the men's game didn't exist, and continued to watch that tournament until he passed.

On a related note, sort of, because of my upbringing, and I'm not going to mention the team because that's a Dox maneuver, I started following my local CPL soccer team, and then Covid happened. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Manute Bol.