Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Agreed, they did a really good job with the hobbits and although I know a bit about the forced perspective tricks and what-not, I'd love to watch a really good technical making-of for the movies if anybody knows one.

The extended edition box sets basically have as much of this kind of thing as you could ever want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The NYT circa release of FotR in 2001 posted:

The project was ''well insured,'' as Mr. Lynne put it. New Line will distribute the films in North America, but the other regions of the globe have been licensed to foreign partners, bringing in about $55 million a film. Another $11 million a film came from Burger King, JVC Electronics, Barnes & Noble and other toy and merchandise companies. And a final $10 million a film came in tax incentives from the government of New Zealand, where the films were shot. ''All of that is cash money,'' Mr. Lynne said. And it means that New Line is vulnerable for less than 20 percent of each film's production costs.

I guess when you make three movies at once you get to lock people into deals for all three.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PJ’s commentary track explains most of it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Agreed, they did a really good job with the hobbits and although I know a bit about the forced perspective tricks and what-not, I'd love to watch a really good technical making-of for the movies if anybody knows one.

The appendices on the extended cut versions covers pretty much everything about how the movies were made.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Lol new line ended up screwing up because after FotR they could have asked for triple the money in licensing.

But yeah the movies are the best we could possibly get.i don't think there was any other director in the world who could have done what he did with the budget he had.maybe George Miller.
Peter Jackson having a tight budget is maybe the answer to him making good movies because the ones where he has unlimited money haven't been good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Lol new line ended up screwing up because after FotR they could have asked for triple the money in licensing.

But yeah the movies are the best we could possibly get.i don't think there was any other director in the world who could have done what he did with the budget he had.maybe George Miller.
Peter Jackson having a tight budget is maybe the answer to him making good movies because the ones where he has unlimited money haven't been good.

It's hard to think of a single "this director or actor had a huge unexpected hit on a tight budget so let's give them unlimited money for their pet project" that actually worked out.

'1941'
'After Earth'
'Battlefield Earth'
'King Kong'
'Grindhouse'
'Heaven's Gate'
'Waterworld'
'Under the Cherry Moon'
'The Alamo'
'Hudson Hawk'
'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets'
Everything George Lucas did after 'Star Wars'
Everything Francis Ford Coppola did after 'Apocalypse Now'
Everything the Wachowskis did after 'The Matrix'

Etc, etc. There's actually a theory that creativity is based on limitations -- limitations of skill, of budget, of time, of technology, etc. I heard Jack White talking about it in the documentary 'This Might Get Loud', and from then on whenever I think about the idea I think of the White Stripes song "Little Room":

Little Room posted:

Well, you're in your little room
And you're working on something good
But if it's really good
You're gonna need a bigger room
And when you're in the bigger room
You might not know what to do
You might have to think of how you got started
Sitting in your little room

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Imagined posted:

It's hard to think of a single "this director or actor had a huge unexpected hit on a tight budget so let's give them unlimited money for their pet project" that actually worked out.

I love Lynch's Dune but I'd say by all accounts it disappointed both director and studio.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Arguably George Miller, Nolan and James Gunn did "better" with bigger budgets but yeah, I think there's some merit to the idea that creativity also feeds from restrain, but most importantly it also depends on the scope of your vision and the limitations on implementing it.

Fury road is a amazing movie that costed 150 million and it still feels like it used every single dollar perfectly.
I can't even imagine what a George Miller lotr would have looked like, but it would have been glorious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Peter Weir imo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus well, Jackson is a huge Tolkien nerd. Not sure how much of one Miller et al are, or how much that actually matters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Let’s not erase Boyens and Walsh who were intimately involved in all aspects

I do it myself

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

Peter Weir imo

Lucas also if he was interested

If Spielbergo did it they would have been 25 hours long

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Patty Jenkins and Taika Waititi too

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Alternate universe Miller films where everything's filmed in Australia.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Werner Herzog lotr, a 4 hour movie on the internal conflicts of boromir, his downfall and redemption.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Werner Herzog lotr, a 4 hour movie on the internal conflicts of boromir, his downfall and redemption.

The first two hours is just him getting to Rivendell on the most miserable solo camping trip ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All on the Anduin

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I dunno but I would love it if the soundtrack to the LOTR movies was done by '70s Popul Vuh.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd watch it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

90 minutes of it would take place while he was dying

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Pham Nuwen posted:

As others have said the extended commentaries and BTS docos on the dvds or blu-rays are your best bet.

But having watched all of them I will say: the forced perspective stuff got all of the publicity at the time, but most of the heavy lifting was done by doubles and green screens. There’s a few hero shots early on in Fellowship where they used that stuff (Frodo and Gandalf in the cart, Gandalf and Bilbo having tea is another - they built a slightly rotating set so the camera can move and keep the perspective trick), but after that your mind accepts the “Hobbits are small” thing and stops looking for it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first two hours is just him getting to Rivendell on the most miserable solo camping trip ever.

Serendipitously, those are all just shots of Sean Bean trekking to the set cause he wouldn't get in a helicopter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phy posted:

Serendipitously, those are all just shots of Sean Bean trekking to the set cause he wouldn't get in a helicopter

That remains one of the funniest set stories for the films. Sean Bean free climbing a goddamn mountain in his Boromir costume because it's somehow less scary than riding a helicopter up to the shooting location.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Imagined posted:

'1941'
'After Earth'
'Battlefield Earth'
'King Kong'
'Grindhouse'
'Heaven's Gate'
'Waterworld'
'Under the Cherry Moon'
'The Alamo'
'Hudson Hawk'
'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets'
Everything George Lucas did after 'Star Wars'
Everything the Wachowskis did after 'The Matrix'

Etc, etc. There's actually a theory that creativity is based on limitations -- limitations of skill, of budget, of time, of technology, etc. I heard Jack White talking about it in the documentary 'This Might Get Loud', and from then on whenever I think about the idea I think of the White Stripes song "Little Room":

There's a really fun podcast on this called Blank Check with Griffin & David. It started out focused on the Star Wars prequels, then expanded out to any director who was given a blank check to do whatever they wanted after a wildly successful film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagined posted:

I don't know. Apocalypse Now was basically a pet project that had almost an unlimited budget as he said himself:

quote:

There were too many of us, we had access to too much equipment, too much money, and little by little we went insane.
Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula is really good precisely because Coppola could do anything he wanted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Imagined posted:

Meet the feebles was good, though?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Imagined posted:

I dunno but I would love it if the soundtrack to the LOTR movies was done by '70s Popul Vuh.

Make it Tangerine Dream and I'll second it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIfubrDZnQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJIn7batAtc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never been able to watch all the LOTR movies from start to finish, never even saw the last one. But I got the audiobooks now and they are sounding a lot more interesting than the movies tbh so far. Just at the stage where they threw the ring into the fire now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never been able to watch all the LOTR movies from start to finish, never even saw the last one. But I got the audiobooks now and they are sounding a lot more interesting than the movies tbh so far. Just at the stage where they threw the ring into the fire now.

The movies simplified and tweaked some stuff; the books are definitely better. Is your audiobook version read or full-cast?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Full cast, with music at times too

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

His Divine Shadow posted:

Full cast, with music at times too

The BBC one? That's great stuff.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's good, but massively abridged. However, if you like audiobooks, the Rob Inglis unabridged versions are perfection imho. I've listened to them in their entirety a half-dozen times. They're perfect audio comfort food, and I think you could argue that because of Tolkien's consciously mock-epic writing style and tone and the prominence of songs and poetry in the text, listening to a master storyteller read the books out loud might even be the ideal way to consume the books.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did not like the voice cast version at all. Much like Jackson's movies, it's an issue of tonal mismatch to me. The books have a delicate balance of warmth and austerity that is difficult to embody, and I don't think either of those adaptations nail it. Would definitely recommend the Inglis one instead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Would definitely recommend the Inglis one instead.

Inglis is fantastic but I had to skip through all his renditions of elf songs. You can't really expect him to have sat down and rehearsed them, and of course they're "translations" presented without any notation for rhythm etc., but they just don't come out well. I did enjoy how he did Sam's troll song, and I think he did pretty good with Bombadil.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Definitely agreed on that. Wish we had Tolkien recordings for all of them—I know we have some, but it would be great to splice them in.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gats Akimbo posted:

The BBC one? That's great stuff.

It's supposed to be by a Phil Dragash.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the problem with Inglis’ songs is they all tend to sound the same or at least similar after awhile. And his singing voice is very breathy to the point of almost being comical sometimes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's all true, but imho they still hang together as actual songs better than what I had come up with in my own head before I heard his versions. When I was a kid reading the books for the first time I had no idea how one might possibly fit some of those words into even a semblance of a melody. It blew my mind when I heard some of Tolkien's own renditions and realized that this crazy son-of-a-gun had actually apparently had real melodies in mind the whole time when he wrote that stuff. Now that I know more about him I think, "Of course he did."

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 7, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of painful to listen to someone trying to sing one of the Rohan/Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse poems without realizing what they're supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

inglis' songs were good enough for an audiobook, and he's a great reader