Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics, double Annie edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I always thought this one was really clever.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Think Sunday's gonna have something to do with bees?

Mary Worth

Oh no! Bronies!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

lowtax_vs_uwe_boll.png

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sorry, ended up missing yesterday due to a whole lot of 'trying to get a job' stuff.

Moomin and the Golden Tail

quote:

Kennel:
Hey, you were looking for the last strip for the Golden Tail story. I grabbed a photo of the Finnish version and translated it.

And as mentioned, D&Q managed to not print the final strip of the story (twice in a single book.), but Kennel thankfully stepped up and arranged a proper end for us.

(And since it ain't swedish, there ain't no SLUTs involved.)

Lunch

Translator's Notes: OBOS is a giant .. Housing Co-op? and bank, (supposedly) owned by it's members. By the 'a little OBOS' comment I imagine this means she's just a member, which only costs like ~20usd/year, and has a bunch of perks, among them priority when purchasing OBOS-developed estates, as opposed to actual investments.
And they have a lot of systems to help people get into the housing market, like sales where you only 'buy' 50% of an apartment, and then slowly buy the rest of it as you can afford it, or price reduction in exchange for them having first-rights to buy it back off you at market rates when you sell it, etc.

Translator's Notes 2: A meter is a unit of measurement we use in Norway. It's 1/10,000th of a 'Mil, or for more common use: roughly 1.59 alen. And a square meter is 1x1 meters, or 1/1000th of a mål/dekar. (Bet you thought I was going to dunk on americans for using imperial, but they dunk on themselves enough that I don't need to.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

trail is a jabroni mark who doesn’t know how to work a work and worked himself into a shoot

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

As an adult, I really appreciate "I stopped at the hospital and picked up our new baby!!!"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That's a very good rabbit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/4/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/11/46

Smokey Stover 7/13/41

I have never heard the phrase "knocked galley-west" before, but it seems useful.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 5, 2021

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

As an adult, I really appreciate "I stopped at the hospital and picked up our new baby!!!"

WE'LL CALL HIM JEFFREY OKAY?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Think Sunday's gonna have something to do with bees?

He may have been a college boxer, but he is wearing gloves, and you are NOT, Mark. Smash his goddamn face in, like that " I felt like destroying something beautiful" scene in Fight Club.

Also, lol this is just straight up assault. They never mentioned a boxing thing, and Mark has not agreed, verbally or otherwise to such an event.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Translator's Notes: OBOS is a giant .. Housing Co-op? and bank, (supposedly) owned by it's members. By the 'a little OBOS' comment I imagine this means she's just a member, which only costs like ~20usd/year, and has a bunch of perks, among them priority when purchasing OBOS-developed estates, as opposed to actual investments.
And they have a lot of systems to help people get into the housing market, like sales where you only 'buy' 50% of an apartment, and then slowly buy the rest of it as you can afford it, or price reduction in exchange for them having first-rights to buy it back off you at market rates when you sell it, etc.

I'm actually a member of OBOS, it's how I got my apartment. A big thing about OBOS is that you get the right of first refusal. I don't really know how it is in the states but in Norway you have to put your house/apartment out to auction. Then if someone wins the auction they have to ask the OBOS member (if it is an OBOS apartment) if they want to buy it first and only the ones with the longest membership is asked. That's why it's common to give OBOS membership as a present to infants. You can also inherit OBOS membership (that's how I got seniority) which means that some kid can have a membership that stretches back to the sixties or even further back.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Samovar posted:

Those are some lips you got there, Ramud.

Val looked at him and found him good. :heysexy:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The Calvin and Hobbes soap strips were always a favorite of mine just because it was fun seeing just how talented Waterson was at doing things.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just wanted to say thanks to Bibliotechno Music for posting Classic Zits. It's pretty good! The way it actually explores Jeremy's thought processes of what it's like being a teenager helps justify why he acts the way he does. It's a shame that Modern Zits no longer does that so Jeremy ends up being a bit obnoxious from time to time.

It's strips like these that make me confused why fancomics seem to like having Calvin and Susie be married in the future.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Presto posted:

Val looked at him and found him good. :heysexy:

He may not know much, but he knows what makes his sword sing

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 5/17-19/43

McMein's art is looking rough here. Compare the Ape to his first appearances a few weeks ago, for instance. Deadline pressures? Health problems? Trying to develop a new style? Or just tired from drawing all the plaid lines in the Ape's suit over and over?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

lol i wonder when this date edit went through

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Evanses? Please don't ruin Nil. (They will)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika wants to Sleep"

Jucika does what the rest of us wish we could get away with.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics, spoilered for racial caricature

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Well, I called it, but I don't feel like I won.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One off, Helge, a swedish strip (now a zombie one too)

Edwin you can't go out like that!
For chrissake put something on!
Hmmm she's got a point.....

The titular character is a moose called Helge, Edwin is a hunter and so their paths cross now and then, and they live in a small rural town in northern sweden called Avliden (Deceased). I actually think it's a pretty funny comic, but I won' be posting it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As a glasses wearer I can testify that once your glasses fog up, there's not much you can do. You're blind forever until you get new glasses.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ardeem posted:

Well, I called it, but I don't feel like I won.

Eh, take the win. It makes more Encyclopedia Brown sense than a 70°C home thermostat.

That said, I can't figure out why Mr. Ivy said "Oh yeah, I can totally identify the [nonexistent] robber, even though my glasses were knocked off." Unless he's trying to pin it on someone else who these panels are too small to mention in this condensed story.

And if he's so blind without his glasses, and it's wintry up in Canada, cleaning the fog off them would be something so routine that he might not have thought to mention it. In the comic version, there doesn't seem to be any mention of how much time passes between entering the house and finding the burglar.

Story probably would have been better set in someplace where freezing weather is extremely unusual.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Encyclopedia Brown solutions rarely hold up to close examination.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to Bibliotechno Music for posting Classic Zits. It's pretty good! The way it actually explores Jeremy's thought processes of what it's like being a teenager helps justify why he acts the way he does. It's a shame that Modern Zits no longer does that so Jeremy ends up being a bit obnoxious from time to time.

:3: Hey thank you! It’s truly my pleasure to post stuff in this thread and I’m glad people are enjoying it. And what you mention is a big part of why I started scanning and posting it here— I kept reading the modern stuff and thinking “wait, what? Has the strip always been this boring?” So I went to my collection and checked and turns out it wasn’t, and I like it just as much as when it started.

Speaking of! Classic Zits

This is the first actual storyline, I think, apart from the three-strip Ashley’s Party thing last week. This one will also be short, but it’s fun to see the narratives start to form.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 5, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

This comic is one of the ones that doesn't make sense unless Mandrake (and well, I guess Derek in this case) straight up know actual magic and not just hypnotism. Mandrake was outside, Derek didn't hypnotize him, so he shouldn't be invisible to Mandrake if it's just hypnotism. The only way this makes sense is if he's actually turned himself invisible.

e: I guess Derek could have run and hid somewhere so Mandrake's like "Oh he's not here you're just imagining things." Could be I'm jumping the gun on this, we'll see.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 7-10, 1989)
This and the other strip ... I think he's a doctor in that one ... that copy this style are my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips!

B Kliban

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fondue posted:

B Kliban

B Kliban invented virgin/chad memes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

fondue posted:

This and the other strip ... I think he's a doctor in that one ... that copy this style are my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips!

There's also one where Suzie is the President and Calvin is the First Husband

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ These are great

Old School Peanuts (Jun 5, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 11-12, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sonya is ready to gently caress.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Today's comic strip score: the IDW vintage Blondie strips the library book sale for a buck a book (and in related good news, we're back to having book sales at the library now).

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (June 8, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 5, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 1-3, 1936)

Running a little bit late, so here's the stopping point for tonight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (June 8, 1974)

If the newer Peanuts strips were all Peppermint Patty focused it'd be remembered as a genuinely funny strip.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

there isn't enough booze in the world to support a Funkyverse strip club

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Our heroes escape by the skin of their teeth... AGAIN, or A purdy picture, or Trouble brewing at Cochise's camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bibliotechno Music posted:

:3: Hey thank you! It’s truly my pleasure to post stuff in this thread and I’m glad people are enjoying it. And what you mention is a big part of why I started scanning and posting it here— I kept reading the modern stuff and thinking “wait, what? Has the strip always been this boring?” So I went to my collection and checked and turns out it wasn’t, and I like it just as much as when it started.

Speaking of! Classic Zits

This is the first actual storyline, I think, apart from the three-strip Ashley’s Party thing last week. This one will also be short, but it’s fun to see the narratives start to form.

I can't wait to see how this plays out. It'd be interesting to compare how Zits handles this situation with FOOB since it had a similar storyline a while back, the one where Michael's friend started up the new family car and they both nearly got into an accident.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I don't know what the punchline is supposed to be about, but I'm just going to assume it's stupid as hell.

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

Is this supposed to be Batiuk's (failed) attempt at being sex positive? It just keeps hammering in that the movie theater's being replaced by a strip club.