Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

PawParole posted:

the aliens are gangstalking and gaslighting the deep state

sounds like the deep state needs therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Delta-Wye posted:

sounds like the deep state needs therapy

they’ll just do what every untreated mentally unstable person in this country does and commit a mass shooting or two.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Honor to be posting with you Mr. Emmerich
True, and given that you only need 1 positive result and you have essentially infinite rolls of the dice I don't see how the math works out in favor of "no aliens"
I suppose since the universe is infinitely big though that one grand prize spacefarer civilization could be all the way on the other end or whatever but who the gently caress knows really

i think wanting aliens to be here is pretty similar to religious belief - the idea that there's something way beyond where we are and will be explain what it all means and why its all here. to me if there are aliens out there, it's more likely and more depressing that they're probably trapped by the same laws and limitations and end up dying off hoping that someone will come to their world and explain it to them

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

PawParole posted:

they’ll just do what every untreated mentally unstable person in this country does and commit a mass shooting or two.

so just normal deep state stuff??

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vomik posted:

i think wanting aliens to be here is pretty similar to religious belief - the idea that there's something way beyond where we are and will be explain what it all means and why its all here. to me if there are aliens out there, it's more likely and more depressing that they're probably trapped by the same laws and limitations and end up dying off hoping that someone will come to their world and explain it to them

I know what you mean but this just makes me imagine little near-immortal fellas trapped in the autonomous routines of their saucers and tictac ships desperately bored and waiting for us to figure out how to rescue them and tell them the purpose of their observation

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
tractor beams do the same thing as getting sucked off

thats why your dick goes up first

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

FINAL ANSWER: cloud menehune

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to gently caress an alien and make it cum. This is my promise

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hatebag posted:

I'm going to gently caress an alien and make it cum. This is my promise

what if they can only do it once and then they die

what then

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

do i die too?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm not willing to discount ftl considering that scientists are admitting they got stuck in a dogmatic run because they thought big particle accelerators would give us what we need to move forward and we've been lucky to get some odd moving muons from them

there was a paper not too long ago involving an alcubierre warp field with a rejiggered geometry that wouldn't require negative energy to function, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

there was a paper not too long ago involving an alcubierre warp field with a rejiggered geometry that wouldn't require negative energy to function, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility

uhh... doesn't that poo poo still call for exotic matter tho?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

what if they can only do it once and then they die

what then

Then I'll give em one hell of a send-off!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vomik posted:

if aliens are real and come here and they don't pull an independence day and destroy the white house then i don't even want to talk to those dumbass liberals imo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bideo James posted:

tractor beams do the same thing as getting sucked off

thats why your dick goes up first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oas5HytYr2c

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

iirc, the redone geometry doesn't require exotic matter, but it does require a bonkers amount of energy, and you still probably can't get genuine FTL out of it unless there's some major breakthrough in physics. you'd still be able to cover enormous distances in comparatively little time, but any aliens visiting earth in something other than unmanned probes are likely going to be from somewhere nearby in the galaxy and not from different galaxies altogether

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Vomik posted:

you're stretching our physics limitations way more than they are - as far as i can tell you're relating the missing link between general relativity & newtonian physics as proof that all of our physics is based on the assumption of no gravity..?? (even though we have planes and have launched ships to other planets). even if we had the missing link it wouldn't matter in this context. if these aliens are real it would have to mean this world is a manufactured fake and the physics outside of it have no bearing on the fake environment that we were incubated in

there is no missing link between general relativity and newtonian physics.

quantum physics works and relativity works, they are just incompatible and we have no framework for reconciling them. so quantum physics by necessity exists in a hypothetical gravity free environment and GR breaks down whereever quantum effects can't be ignored.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The Protagonist posted:

negative energy is a type of exotic matter. Lentz claimed to have eliminated it.

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2021/03/11/ftl-thoughts-on-a-new-paper-by-erik-lentz/

here's a writeup on the paper.

Vermain posted:

iirc, the redone geometry doesn't require exotic matter, but it does require a bonkers amount of energy, and you still probably can't get genuine FTL out of it unless there's some major breakthrough in physics. you'd still be able to cover enormous distances in comparatively little time, but any aliens visiting earth in something other than unmanned probes are likely going to be from somewhere nearby in the galaxy and not from different galaxies altogether

only the amount of mass-energy of jupiter. It's been lowered before, some negative energy warp drive models used only as much energy as a nuclear submarine. he's working on tweaking the model in the same way,

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO0Nc5oxE0

also heres a video of the physicists talking about it with a youtube hypebeast dude

and heres him replying to an ama on reddit

https://eriklentzphd.blogspot.com/2021/03/reddit-q.html

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Aliens haven't made contact cuz they're scared, straight chickens

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.npl.washington.edu/av/altvw209.html

here's an article in Analog

The Lentz Soliton FTL Drive

In a recent paper, Dr. Erik W. Lentz, presently a postdoc at Germany 's Göttingen University Institute for Astrophysics (and who received his PhD in astrophysics at my own University of Washington ) has demonstrated that there is a positive-energy space-time soliton solution of Einstein's equations of general relativity. Using the Arnowitt, Deser, and Misner (ADM) formulation of general relativity and a hyperbolic rather than linear or elliptic relation for the ADM "shift vector", Lentz has been able to construct a moving, possibly superluminal, soliton that involves only positive mass-energy. His soliton is constructed to contain a relatively flat-space central region with minimal tidal forces, in which internal proper time corresponds to outside time (i.e., no relativistic time dilation), and internal observers move with the speed of the soliton itself without feeling inertial forces. The transport logistics of the Lentz Drive are similar to those of the Alcubierre Drive .

The Lentz soliton has a "delta" shape formed from about seven diamond-shaped blocks of specially-configured ADM shift vectors "flying in formation" to surround the flat interior region and to move it forward. The volume of local space that is expanded or contracted by the Lentz soliton is rather complex, containing multiple regions corresponding to negative and positive hyperbolic space expansions. In contrast, the Alcubierre soliton contains only one negative and one positive expansion region. The weak energy condition of general relativity, which is strongly violated by the Alcubierre Warp Drive , is satisfied by the Lentz soliton, and it also satisfies the momentum condition of general relativity.

Despite the virtue of its positive energy, the amount of mass-energy needed to form a Lentz soliton is a major problem, Lentz estimates that a soliton moving at the speed of light with a diameter of 200 meters and a shell thickness of 1 meter would require a mass-energy of around 1/10 of a solar mass, not a universe-worth but still a dismayingly large value. He points out, however, that techniques already in the literature have shown that it is possible to greatly reduce the mass-magnitude required by the Alcuiberre drive. These techniques could probably be similarly applied to the Lentz soliton drive, reducing the required mass-energy to a more obtainable value.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Azathoth posted:

It's important to look at what is happening through the lens of narrative.

Right now, we're seeing an overall reset of the narrative away from the extraterrestrial hypothesis. That narrative had been building since the 60s at least and by the 90s, it had metastisized into complex alien exopolitical structures and alliances, with proponents asserting with absolute surety that any day now, either a flying saucer is gonna land on the White House lawn and we'll have first contact with the benevolent space brothers or we'll all be rounded up by the evil aliens and taking off to camps for nefarious purposes. Pretty much every surviving member of that old guard had some exceptionally detailed ideas about what was behind all of it, though a few at least avoided really being pinned down publicly.

While it didn't really go away, I think 9/11 and the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan really took a lot of the air out of the anti-government UFO movement as it became really easy to just say "secret tech" and handwave away anyone questioning the government narrative as unpatriotic. A growing understanding of the government as nefarious probably helped the skeptical argument, actually, since it's easy to just say that of course it's secret tech, the government lies all the time, so of course they're lying about this.

The narrative reset that's been happening for a while has been driven by a new generation of researchers who simultaneously reject that the phenomenon is nothing but also reject all the cruft that's been built around it by the old guard of Ufologists who all went very deep down the rabbit holes of their own personal theories.

The videos TTSA released represent something of a watershed moment. On one hand, they don't show anything that wasn't already in copious amounts of witness reports, but on the other, they were basically able to take the line that same Ufologists have been taking for a while now, which is "this is what's happening, we don't know what it is, but it's doing something we literally cannot do ourselves and which we've never seen any other country do either".

That reset in narrative basically flips the script on the skeptical side by giving them a video which is as guaranteed genuine as you can get and military experts saying that we don't have anything that can do that and we don't think other countries do either, and saying "explain that" when there are no good explanations.

So, the angels of Daniel and Ezekiel then.

Gotta say, how else would illiterate, uneducated shepherds describe these things?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vomik posted:

gotta take a page from america's playbook and just drop one of their space nukes on us to demonstrate their might that'll bring a lot to the negotiating table

Maybe it really is a bunch of joyriding teens that are trying to repair the damage they did after one of their space scooters blew up and killed the dinosaurs, hoping nobody would notice

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

PawParole posted:

negative energy is a type of exotic matter. Lentz claimed to have eliminated it.

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2021/03/11/ftl-thoughts-on-a-new-paper-by-erik-lentz/

here's a writeup on the paper.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

really hard to square the crushing need to know with the crushing certainty that we likely never will

especially after all the gin

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Google Butt posted:

Aliens haven't made contact cuz they're scared, straight chickens

Gonna blow your mind when they land on the white house lawn and this guy waddles out.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

It's loving wild that he came up with a positive energy solution but I still feel like it can't possibly actually be superluminal and workable.

Why? Well even if you overcome all the other issues, superluminal travel still breaks causality as far as we know... Which puts it down is unlikely in my book

But then again what do I know I'm just a big dumb ape hooting at poo poo

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Just a reminder that there are some completely boring plausible explanations for this stuff, too.

https://twitter.com/MickWest/status/1400869663630786561

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1398667579158376458

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

The Protagonist posted:

It's loving wild that he came up with a positive energy solution but I still feel like it can't possibly actually be superluminal and workable.

Why? Well even if you overcome all the other issues, superluminal travel still breaks causality as far as we know... Which puts it down is unlikely in my book

But then again what do I know I'm just a big dumb ape hooting at poo poo

nah, these are based on general relativity, i think the phrase i can't honestly claim to understand that gets tossed around is "valid solutions to einstein's field equations."

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

coelomate posted:

Just a reminder that there are some completely boring plausible explanations for this stuff, too.

mick west is a loving clown lol

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The constant problem with the skeptic arguments here is that they all hyperfocus on the released vids and images and then just handwave everything else like eyewitness testimony + other readings as "human and technical error"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

amazing how mick west always knows more than everyone else lmao

pilots, radar operators, physicists, the pentagon, radars themselves, cameras, etc etc, all loving morons, all malfunctioning, over and over and over.

but mick west, he watched some lovely youtube clips, so now hes the real radar and camera expert and jet fighter expert and physics expert, and knows the truth about everything, that its all birds and balloons, checkmate ufoailures :smugdon:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

nah, these are based on general relativity, i think the phrase i can't honestly claim to understand that gets tossed around is "valid solutions to einstein's field equations."

It's saying they came up with an artificial configuration of mass-energy that would distort space time just so to create a soliton that could drag something inside along with it.. potentially

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mick west is just scared of aliens lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

coelomate posted:

Yeah it's the same parallax effect discussion that's been used to debunk these videos before.

Kinda convenient how those explanations always focus on the videos themselves and not on any of the corroborating evidence from both the air and the ground.

Plus in the article one of the skeptics keeps hinting that what they were seeing was the exhaust of other F-18s, which is pretty lol.

E:fb you buncha nerds

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

coelomate posted:

lol no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLKK6ZlCHc

Rah! posted:

amazing how mick west always knows more than everyone else lmao

pilots, radar operators, physicists, the pentagon, radars themselves, cameras, etc etc, all loving morons, all malfunctioning, over and over and over.

but mick west, he watched some lovely youtube clips, so now hes the real radar and camera expert and jet fighter expert and physics expert, and knows the truth about everything, that its all birds and balloons, checkmate ufoailures :smugdon:

:yeah:

honestly do not understand the mindset that can look at all of this and think "nah y'all are being dumb i'm pretty sure i'm the expert here"

probably libs tbh

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

The Protagonist posted:

It's saying they came up with an artificial configuration of mass-energy that would distort space time just so to create a soliton that could drag something inside along with it.. potentially

yeah its the bending space part that (in some versions of the idea) allow for causality-violation free ftl

keep in mind space distorting faster than light is standard physics at the moment; inflation was and iirc remains significantly faster than c (although there was last i checked an inconsistency between some of the main methods used to measure the size of the universe)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

my favorite was the video where the youtuber smugly pointed out how you could see the birds wings flapping

Like gently caress you could. Anybody seeing wing flaps there is engaging in just as much wishful thinking as the people convinced they're getting probed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

The existence of something we can't understand in and of itself shatters the worldview for some people.

I've casually mentioned this new report to a few friends and a couple wanted to talk about it, but there was one person that shot down the mere mention of the subject because she "just wasn't interested" and this is someone that can talk my head off for hours on literally any subject.

Maybe I was reading into it but I get the sense that, for her, the topic was a Pandora's Box.