Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cruising through NG++. The cursed enemy thing really hasn't been too bad since it only affects movement speed and ki according to the description. we're flying through levels, but some of the bosses such as the lightning dual swords guy are just giant sacks of health that take entire minutes of waling on them in a corner to kill even though our damage is fine on the normal enemies. I hope NG+++ isn't too much worse about that, I wanted to get far enough to see what the abyss is.

what's the best tonfa combo to use on enemies with no ki?

e: same question for the glaive, come to think of it

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
New player here. Do the Arcana of [whatever] skill customization stack with elemental effects from Imbue [whatever] weapon property and elemental talismans, provided that they are the same element?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snicker-Snack posted:

New player here. Do the Arcana of [whatever] skill customization stack with elemental effects from Imbue [whatever] weapon property and elemental talismans, provided that they are the same element?

No idea. Never tried. Doesn't really seem worth it though because the 40% increased ki costs do not outweigh the miniscule additional damage you would gain, assuming they stacked.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I've been working my way down the Underworld the last couple of weeks. Sneak Thief was made for this, it's possible to grab almost every Jizo Kodama with careful movement without triggering fights.

Toshimitsu on Layer 83 though :stare:

I'm trying not to waste Bells unless it's really necessary but I'm tempted to :justcat: the fight considering how many one-shots he can pull out of his rear end and how hard it is to Ki-break him in the first place, since my ultimate goal is Depths 6 (for the sweet sweet Grace sets you can only get from that point).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m using a lighting wizard build with the lightning gods of izanami as my main soul core, and it is the most temperamental thing.

Sometimes I get the ultra god who likes me and precision-strikes every single lightning bolt into a yokai and instakills it, and sometimes I get the intern god who sends all the bolts into another zip code.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/r7iZoEr.mp4

not who I expected to be able to pull off a sick moonwalk, but hey

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I am doing Way of The Strong and the same time finishing the dual boss fights on samurai difficulty. Any tips for the Obsidian + Nobunaga fight? There is a series of revenant just before that I end up wasting all my pots vs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ulio posted:

Ok I am doing Way of The Strong and the same time finishing the dual boss fights on samurai difficulty. Any tips for the Obsidian + Nobunaga fight? There is a series of revenant just before that I end up wasting all my pots vs.

Yes my suggestion is to wait and do that fight later, that one is a huge huge pain in the rear end

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At some point partway through NG++ revenants have turned into raid bosses and it’s terrible

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
NG++ is the time to learn versatility through benzaiten, the 60% damage buff at 9 stacks is extremely helpful. Onmyo Austerity/Kato are great if you want to focus more on magic or jutsu. Dragon ninja is fun if you want to play Hayabusa simulator.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Yes my suggestion is to wait and do that fight later, that one is a huge huge pain in the rear end

Cool, btw what do you think of respecing before maxing my build? I basically have finished the whole main campaign on normal with sword/odachi and finished half the campaign on way of the strong with same build. Sword is really fun but Odachi is boring. I am thinking of respecing to try out the other weapons before I burnout.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

At some point partway through NG++ revenants have turned into raid bosses and it’s terrible

Yep. I can't remember if it was a patch change or if they are just scaling too well as the difficulty increases, but they ended up becoming some of the hardest things in the game. They scale even more in co-op where they have an absolutely ridiculous amount of hp.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What the gently caress is wrong with the soldiers in the winter dlc. Also my man Date half centipede half samurai, the designs in the dlc are really terrifying and great.

E; drat Date is annoying, I keep getting him to 10% hp but when he gets a enchantment buff he doesn't recoil to any hits and I keep getting baited by his low stamina bar.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

Cool, btw what do you think of respecing before maxing my build? I basically have finished the whole main campaign on normal with sword/odachi and finished half the campaign on way of the strong with same build. Sword is really fun but Odachi is boring. I am thinking of respecing to try out the other weapons before I burnout.

Respecs are cheap, I probly did it hundreds of times in Nioh 1. Do it if you feel like it, even just to test stuff out

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Respecs are cheap, I probly did it hundreds of times in Nioh 1. Do it if you feel like it, even just to test stuff out

Thanks, ya I think I'll just finish the dlc's with my first build then try other weapons. Also Date is the hardest boss so far, finally managed to beat him while playing a lot more patient and using buffs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Thanks, ya I think I'll just finish the dlc's with my first build then try other weapons. Also Date is the hardest boss so far, finally managed to beat him while playing a lot more patient and using buffs.

What's up, 4 Years Ago me? I went from beating the base game to immediately starting DLC1 and got smoked as a result, but my bushido honour wouldn't let me quit out and go grind so I just toughed it out until I got to Date, when eventually I DID bail out, one of the only times in the entire game I ever got close to a 'rage quit' :argh:

Eventually I came back with slightly better gear and resigned myself to grind through the fight, eventually doing so with a combination of patience, smarter item use and a zen-like resignation to the inevitability of death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00JzO9vDrc&t=240s

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

Tell me how you feel about the last boss of the first DLC though

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

When it says certain active abilities are affected by a skill is there a way to tell what abilities?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

When it says certain active abilities are affected by a skill is there a way to tell what abilities?

Those modifiers are not well explained. you actually manually apply them to a specific skill yourself, and can only put a modifier on one skill per weapon. Go to the skill customization menu (where you also change what skills are on what buttons) to set it on a skill. Most skills are options for modifiers in my experience, only non-attack moves tend to be excluded

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
did they ever patch it so that the patch that bricks the poo poo out of your game no longer does this?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Those modifiers are not well explained. you actually manually apply them to a specific skill yourself, and can only put a modifier on one skill per weapon. Go to the skill customization menu (where you also change what skills are on what buttons) to set it on a skill. Most skills are options for modifiers in my experience, only non-attack moves tend to be excluded

Huh. Alright guess I haven't unlocked anything compatible with ability I unlocked cause not seeing it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Those are the abilities you get from the Shiftling tree, you have to press Square on the skill customization menu to see which options are available to you for any given move.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ben Quebec posted:

did they ever patch it so that the patch that bricks the poo poo out of your game no longer does this?

I've been playing routinely on PC since 1-2 weeks after it came out and have no idea what this is referring to

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

What's up, 4 Years Ago me? I went from beating the base game to immediately starting DLC1 and got smoked as a result, but my bushido honour wouldn't let me quit out and go grind so I just toughed it out until I got to Date, when eventually I DID bail out, one of the only times in the entire game I ever got close to a 'rage quit' :argh:

Eventually I came back with slightly better gear and resigned myself to grind through the fight, eventually doing so with a combination of patience, smarter item use and a zen-like resignation to the inevitability of death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00JzO9vDrc&t=240s

Ya spot on, I had to just fight my urges of going aggressive and took my time, the water phase can get nutty sometimes he can over the whole dojo with water spots that dmg you.

signalnoise posted:

Tell me how you feel about the last boss of the first DLC though

Do you mean Maria? I just finished her, actually reminded me of Lady Maria from Bloodborne because how aggressive she is. That fight was hard as well. So far the DLC bosses have been way more memorable than the main game. I feel like in the main game the hard bosses were early on until Yuki Ona(snow lady). Nobunaga was surprisingly easy. The dual boss fights are hard until you level up to get close to their level. I finished the first dlc, I just need to do the Date + big axe dual boss fight. I might need to comeback to that later.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Wow Shibata Katsuie is some hot bullshit. Being able to transition into a one hit grapple during his second phase is pretty bad. It also looks like nobody is setting up as a visitor in this map.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I've been playing routinely on PC since 1-2 weeks after it came out and have no idea what this is referring to

Patch 1.27 causes my game to crash frequently.

They even have a whole "Regarding Issues with Nioh 2" post on steam.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Azran posted:

Those are the abilities you get from the Shiftling tree, you have to press Square on the skill customization menu to see which options are available to you for any given move.

Oh. Cheers. That really isn't clear. Or I blinded a message somewhere.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't had any crashes since they fixed the blacksmith menu blank options crash. My brother has crashed twice during missions since then, but over like 60 hours so not often

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wow Shibata Katsuie is some hot bullshit. Being able to transition into a one hit grapple during his second phase is pretty bad. It also looks like nobody is setting up as a visitor in this map.

I recognize this is an unattractive option when you're already at the end of the level, but if you're willing to try for multiplayer then you could divine branch out and try to find an expeditions partner instead of a visitor. you can sprint through the level very quickly and he gets completely dumpstered in expeditions.

I'd help if my character wasn't leveled and geared for two difficulties past you, since I assume the game doesn't let you bring in someone like that to one-tap the boss

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 5, 2021

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I haven't had any crashes since they fixed the blacksmith menu blank options crash. My brother has crashed twice during missions since then, but over like 60 hours so not often
I recognize this is an unattractive option when you're already at the end of the level, but if you're willing to try for multiplayer then you could divine branch out and try to find an expeditions partner instead of a visitor. you can sprint through the level very quickly and he gets completely dumpstered in expeditions.

I'd help if my character wasn't leveled and geared for two difficulties past you, since I assume the game doesn't let you bring in someone like that to one-tap the boss

I got him to a quarter health and i died to his grapple. I haven't been this angry since the triple boss fight at the final mission of Nioh 1. Seriously this rear end in a top hat has so much health

Im strongly considering picking up whatever is left of my amrita and then hitting travel amulet to get outta there

EDIT: GODDAMNIT I FINALLY GOT A VISITOR, AND I DIED TO HIS RED BURST gently caress, gently caress!

EDIT 2: Got a visitor and Acolyte and they took care of business, so much so that I earned Shibata Katsuie Smasher, he never targetted me. The health he has is absurd for all the stuff he can do, it's ridiculous.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 5, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

Ya spot on, I had to just fight my urges of going aggressive and took my time, the water phase can get nutty sometimes he can over the whole dojo with water spots that dmg you.
Do you mean Maria? I just finished her, actually reminded me of Lady Maria from Bloodborne because how aggressive she is. That fight was hard as well. So far the DLC bosses have been way more memorable than the main game. I feel like in the main game the hard bosses were early on until Yuki Ona(snow lady). Nobunaga was surprisingly easy. The dual boss fights are hard until you level up to get close to their level. I finished the first dlc, I just need to do the Date + big axe dual boss fight. I might need to comeback to that later.

Maria became a hard roadblock for me on one of the higher difficulties. To get past her (probably before I should have) I had to abuse a hand cannon that had auto-aim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeExKxhI4mI

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

When a friend of mine got stuck on maria (playing on PC), he would use the mouse to shoot. Whenever she did one of her slower attacks, he would take his hand off his controller and mouse aim and get a quick headshot.

When I got stuck on maria, I did some testing with guardian spirits and found most of them that normally knocked a human enemy over wouldn't work very well, but I could consistently get a decent number of knockdowns with 9 guardian spirit scrolls of Genbu.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Im strongly considering picking up whatever is left of my amrita and then hitting travel amulet to get outta there

Glad you got him, but for reference, you can just use a summoner's candle instead of doing this.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Glad you got him, but for reference, you can just use a summoner's candle instead of doing this.

You know, i spent about 155 hours in Nioh 1, got to Way of the Wise and not once did I bother reading the description. I think i tried using it when i had my spirit anyway and wrote it off.

It reminds me, I never really did get a proper build in Nioh 1 or toy with Ninjustu/Omnyo outside of the essentials.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Couple more questions. My friend and I have completed the game and DLCs on Dream of the Nioh but he gets no suitable matches for the Underworld. He gets the same with picture scroll missions trying to join me but regular missions he can drop on no problem. Any ideas? He's on a PS4, I am on a 5.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Couple more questions. My friend and I have completed the game and DLCs on Dream of the Nioh but he gets no suitable matches for the Underworld. He gets the same with picture scroll missions trying to join me but regular missions he can drop on no problem. Any ideas? He's on a PS4, I am on a 5.

I'm not at the underworld yet so I don't know about that, but with picture scrolls both the person who creates the expedition lobby and the person who searches for one have to specify "picture scroll" at the top of the screen or you won't see the lobby

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
That worked. Wish it was pointed out a bit more by the game.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Yeah, there's a couple of things that could have been better signposted. For example, even though I've been playing continuously since the end of March, I had absolutely no idea that the skill respec option is buried in the dojo. I hadn't found it in any other menu and was concerned about it since I've collected almost all the possible ninja/onmyo skill scrolls, then for the first time noticed the "Y (△): Reset Skills" prompt in the dojo like 2 days ago.

Huh. I think I was confused because in the first game a Book of Reincarnation also reset your skill points, but they don't in 2. It makes sense since samurai points were used for everything save ninja/onmyo there but not here.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I've been playing Nioh 2 on and off over the last few weeks. I'm not done with the non DLC story yet but I'm getting close, I think. It's hopefully just one more mission. I just killed HIdeyoshis demon waifu or whatever that was, I got flashbacks to the horrid final boss of the first game but this wasn't nearly as bad.

The main thing is that when I started out with Nioh 2 it seemed way harder than the first game and I was afraid that this was a sequel in the vein of "haha it's harder now and thus better, I'm a true gamer and I don't understand fun!". Which I completed twice. (By completed twice I mean I played through it on PS4 then did Way of the whatever came next and switched to the next highest difficulty whenever it became available and switched back and forth between them as I saw fit, then I did the same thing again on PC)

But now that I played through most of it it seems pretty on point difficulty-wise.

I started running fists and Switchglaive but didn't feel the Switchglaive at the time so I switched to an Odachi, which is a good secondary weapon for every fast-hitting short range primary weapon you can think of. (Though, my favorite in the first game was specifically Tonfa + Odachi, not sure how it holds up in 2 but I can't imagine it being worse)

I barely use Yokai skills myself and I'd probably have an easier time if I did, but in any game where I can summon an enemy to help me for a single attack I usually don't bother. I know it's just another attack when it comes down to it, but I prefer just punching the poo poo out of everything with my fists. Who at the time of this writing also have a lightning effect on them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I just want to say I love this game and how badass it makes me feel. I'm inundated with work and games but every so often I'll just jump in and slay half-a-level's worth of enemies and feel awesome, and some random rear end death by a red kappa won't even ruin my mood. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Morter posted:

random rear end death

tragically died by random rear end-death