Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure the og Game boy came with a link cable. Maybe the pocket and other versions didn’t at some point but idk.

I remember having a link cable for mine and never using it, but that was so long ago I could be mistaken or confusing it for another device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't really know the main reason they release 2 versions of the Pokemon games, but I don't think it's to trick people into buying the same game twice because I don't think that many people do that.

Dabir posted:

look the idea that loot boxes exist for greed is dumb as hell because most people will engage with them in a completely free way

oh word? there's a significant minority who don't and you can make bank off that? interesting

This feels like a silly analogy because with loot boxes you may get 1% of players spending thousands of dollars every month, whereas in this situation you may get 1% of players spending an extra 60 dollars exactly one time per generation. It doesn't really scale in the same way.

I think they're probably raking in a lot more money by fostering social interactions between kids who then build up an emotional attachment to the series and thus continue spending money on The Brand for the rest of their lives.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

version exclusive stuff. not just the pokemon themselves, but the series has had things like version exclusive gym leaders, even entire version exclusive towns. then there's the people who feel they have to get both to have a complete collection of the games themselves. there's probably a dozen other reasons I haven't thought of. I am confident they wouldn't continue to release version pairs if they didn't think it made them more money than it costs to do so.

Hang on... what? I've mostly played Gen 1-3 and remakes, so what's this about? :raise:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

agreed. them putting even more differences with different gyms in each vers and then selling a double pack with them both is just a weird coincidence

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bofast posted:

Hang on... what? I've mostly played Gen 1-3 and remakes, so what's this about? :raise:

B/W did this and I don't remember if there's any others, but basically in Black the Opelucid Gym Leader is Drayden, and in White it's Iris. Opelucid itself is also different between versions, one of them makes it an old fashioned nature-like town, while the other makes it super futuristic. There's also Black City and White Forest, which is a town post-game filled with people you've traded/battled with, that's different depending on the version you have.

Overall they're mostly cosmetic changes and I can't imagine seriously complaining about it because the story is exactly the same between versions and all that's different is how things look, and who you fight in that one gym, which doesn't change anything either (Drayden and Iris still exist in the versions where they aren't gym leaders and do the exact same things in the story). Like all you'd have to do is look at a picture of what the town looks like in the other version and you can go "Okay that's neat" and you've gotten the same experience.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mancalamania posted:

I don't really know the main reason they release 2 versions of the Pokemon games, but I don't think it's to trick people into buying the same game twice because I don't think that many people do that.

no see, capitalism is a completely flawless system, so anything that a business chooses to do must therefore be a genius and completely heartless move of exploitative consumerism

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

no see, capitalism is a completely flawless system, so anything that a business chooses to do must therefore be a genius and completely heartless move of exploitative consumerism

"Their rational self-interest wouldn't allow anything else!" :pseudo:
- Alan Greenspan, head architect of 2008

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

The biggest problem with Pokemon is that it's hugely popular despite Dragon Quest Monsters being the better series. I guess the breeding system might be a bit daunting for people when compared to "level go up, monster transform" but at least the gameplay is fun and actually capable of posing a challenge at times (occasional RNG bullshit aside).
I only played the PS2 game a bit and then played through the Gamecube game and I still cannot understand how/why Baiten Kaitos has a diehard following beyond "game used cards for combat, neat I guess?"

That's why I couldn't get into SMT. To catch demonmon you have to have a random conversation with them during combat and answer a bunch of questions where so far as I can tell the correct answers are random. Then to get more powerful ones you have to experiment in a fusion system that's completely inscrutable. It's all so needlessly complex. Same thing with Digimon.

Just let me level up my guy. The most complexity I want in whatever transformation they take on is choosing which transformation.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Honestly having two versions of the games isn't even the biggest thing Pokemon does that would make someone buy multiple copies, the biggest one is only allowing one save file per game. Got two kids that want to play Pokemon? You've gotta buy two copies of the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nintendo Switch DS-Lux

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mancalamania posted:

This feels like a silly analogy because with loot boxes you may get 1% of players spending thousands of dollars every month, whereas in this situation you may get 1% of players spending an extra 60 dollars exactly one time per generation. It doesn't really scale in the same way.

I think they're probably raking in a lot more money by fostering social interactions between kids who then build up an emotional attachment to the series and thus continue spending money on The Brand for the rest of their lives.

The vast majority of money that Pokémon makes is via merchandise. The games are definitely profitable as hell still but it’s nothing compared to the physical goods.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly having two versions of the games isn't even the biggest thing Pokemon does that would make someone buy multiple copies, the biggest one is only allowing one save file per game. Got two kids that want to play Pokemon? You've gotta buy two copies of the game.

Pretty sure saves are per-profile on the Switch at least.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is a bummer but it also made me briefly consider Xenogears in the style of a modern Monolith game and now I would very much like that to exist but I sadly it never will

Oh man, rolling with my boys Fei, Citan and Billy in a Xenoblade-like battle system would rule so hard. Xenoblade definitely needed more guns.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

B/W did this and I don't remember if there's any others, but basically in Black the Opelucid Gym Leader is Drayden, and in White it's Iris. Opelucid itself is also different between versions, one of them makes it an old fashioned nature-like town, while the other makes it super futuristic. There's also Black City and White Forest, which is a town post-game filled with people you've traded/battled with, that's different depending on the version you have.

Overall they're mostly cosmetic changes and I can't imagine seriously complaining about it because the story is exactly the same between versions and all that's different is how things look, and who you fight in that one gym, which doesn't change anything either (Drayden and Iris still exist in the versions where they aren't gym leaders and do the exact same things in the story). Like all you'd have to do is look at a picture of what the town looks like in the other version and you can go "Okay that's neat" and you've gotten the same experience.

That just seems incredibly unnecessary

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I got Arms (and Mario Party) second hand and lemme tell you...I’ve seen the light, my friends. Arms is a great game. It’s absolutely worth the $60 price tag. Having said that, it’s even better at $20.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mancalamania posted:

the more benign argument was that it facilitated the “personal bond” element of the game (ie it’s your* personal collection of Pokémon) and sweetened the prospect of buying multiple copies of the same game for families that had multiple kids and might otherwise be pissed that they can’t share one copy.

the fact that Pokémon didn’t let you do multiple saves or profiles by design was still kind of an oddity in that era and it drew criticism

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the difficulty unlock system in Black 2 and White 2 was hot bullshit though, we can all agree on that right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

the difficulty unlock system in Black 2 and White 2 was hot bullshit though, we can all agree on that right?

Absolutely.

For folks who don't know, beating Black or White 2 unlocked easy/hard mode. Depending on the version. And you had to start over.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure the og Game boy came with a link cable. Maybe the pocket and other versions didn’t at some point but idk.
I owned all three models of Game Boy and never had a Link Cable. It's possible my parents bought the OG from a garage sale or something though.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The biggest problem with Pokemon is that it's hugely popular despite Dragon Quest Monsters being the better series. I guess the breeding system might be a bit daunting for people when compared to "level go up, monster transform" but at least the gameplay is fun and actually capable of posing a challenge at times (occasional RNG bullshit aside).
I only played the PS2 game a bit and then played through the Gamecube game and I still cannot understand how/why Baiten Kaitos has a diehard following beyond "game used cards for combat, neat I guess?"
Baiten Kaitos Origins was really loving good is one reason. The unique setting is another draw, as well as the characters and rockin music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6S_ZAP8Cw

The main battle theme is centered around a violin of all things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0or0nEy2ps

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Commander Keene posted:

I owned all three models of Game Boy and never had a Link Cable. It's possible my parents bought the OG from a garage sale or something though.

The original DMG-004 cable was sold separately in a green box that was the same style as a Game Boy game. The only pack-ins prior to the Play It Loud series were occasional game bundles (like Link's Awakening), as far as I know. The PIL series sometimes included four batteries and a big clear case that held a handful of games. The next Game Link accessory was an adapter to connect old DMG-004 cables to a GBC (it had a smaller port) and of course the second revision that was smaller on both ends for two GBC units.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

japtor posted:

I'm assuming those are scam ads, but Humble Bundle does sell Nintendo games.

They're not scam ads. It's just a link to the humble store page for a Nintendo game

But that doesn't stop people from slam replying with "you can't even sell these lol"

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

‘congrats beta male, you’re an idiot’ should be the thread title

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

all that discussion about pokemon games is just another reminder that digimon is the superior monster friend series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

all that discussion about pokemon games is just another reminder that digimon is the superior monster friend series.

It's true. Digimon are friends to all the boys and girls (and anyone else too).

Ranched Monsters are also good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who liked Monster Rancher?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Libluini posted:

Am I the only one who liked Monster Rancher?

No there were dozens of us

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think all 12 post on this forum. killer ps1 game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I liked the monster rancher gameplay but even as a kid I realized how lovely and lazy it was, in the height of pokemon/digimon/etc popularity, to release a competing game where the artists designed maybe twenty different monsters and then had ten recolors for each one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
was that the one where you could put music cds in the PS and have it generate a monster?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bottom Liner posted:

was that the one where you could put music cds in the PS and have it generate a monster?

Hell yeah it was

I will never forget my first monster, a slime I got from my Weird Al Greatest Hits vol 2

Edit: I named him Slimer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hmm, I’ve almost finished all the Arland Atelier games. Do I go on to Dusk or Mysterious? :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Might as well do them in order if you started at at the (sort of) beginning

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bleck posted:

u really dont see why they released two versions and up until swoshi then released a third version or second pair of games with minor updates lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's because Nintendo knows Pokemon fans love the franchise and want to give them as much content to play as they can. If anything, Nintendo is anti-capitalist by not releasing more versions and not charging twice more for Pokemon games and even giving discounts for buying versions in bulk and not charging $60 for the DLC.

Nintendo clearly only releases multiple versions out of the kindness of their hearts.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you can order a physical copy from amazon, take out the game from the box, return it saying the box shipped empty and get another one, and then trade your surplus copy of pokemon A for pokemon B. creating an emergent non-diegetic adventure/management problem solving puzzle out of the process of acquiring the game is why having two versions is the ultimate pro-gamer move.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It's because Nintendo knows Pokemon fans love the franchise and want to give them as much content to play as they can. If anything, Nintendo is anti-capitalist by not releasing more versions and not charging twice more for Pokemon games and even giving discounts for buying versions in bulk and not charging $60 for the DLC.

Nintendo clearly only releases multiple versions out of the kindness of their hearts.

Or it’s because the Pokémon franchise as a whole is number 3 or 4 on the all time video game franchise sales chart behind Mario and Call of Duty probably.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I generally don’t mind the FLUDDless levels of Sunshine, but the hotel lobby secret can get hosed.

There’s too much dumb poo poo that wastes your time. Mario is fun when you’re moving forward making progress. At the second jump of the level there are three enemies waiting to push you off the ledge, so the prudent thing is to wait for them to rush you and jump on all three of them. Then the next section requires you to wait for three floating enemies to float into place so you can use them to complete a jump, because for some god forsaken reason this game doesn’t have a long jump. Then you need to wall climb after that, but not before going up the wall three times to break blocks before the fourth time up thru the cleared path. Then you deal with some falling sand blocks to ultimately get to a section that requires you to ride a spinning block.

This god damned spinning block is the absolute worst.

Sometimes I slide off when I think I’m on flat ground and get PTSD flash backs of all the unnecessary and physics-defying sliding that I suffered through in Mario 64.

Or maybe I jump to the next section but need to quickly jump backwards to correct my landing, but too bad Mario’s going to do his high backwards somersault and shoop off the block.

gently caress this block and this level forever. It’s full of dumb bullshit that wastes your time. This isn’t the first Mario level that requires patience and it probably won’t be the last, but they’re all terrible.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Stux posted:

u really dont see why they released two versions and up until swoshi then released a third version or second pair of games with minor updates lol

yeah yeah business and stuff

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wildtortilla posted:

I generally don’t mind the FLUDDless levels of Sunshine, but the hotel lobby secret can get hosed.

There’s too much dumb poo poo that wastes your time. Mario is fun when you’re moving forward making progress. At the second jump of the level there are three enemies waiting to push you off the ledge, so the prudent thing is to wait for them to rush you and jump on all three of them. Then the next section requires you to wait for three floating enemies to float into place so you can use them to complete a jump, because for some god forsaken reason this game doesn’t have a long jump. Then you need to wall climb after that, but not before going up the wall three times to break blocks before the fourth time up thru the cleared path. Then you deal with some falling sand blocks to ultimately get to a section that requires you to ride a spinning block.

This god damned spinning block is the absolute worst.

Sometimes I slide off when I think I’m on flat ground and get PTSD flash backs of all the unnecessary and physics-defying sliding that I suffered through in Mario 64.

Or maybe I jump to the next section but need to quickly jump backwards to correct my landing, but too bad Mario’s going to do his high backwards somersault and shoop off the block.

gently caress this block and this level forever. It’s full of dumb bullshit that wastes your time. This isn’t the first Mario level that requires patience and it probably won’t be the last, but they’re all terrible.

Sunshine has a long jump, it's just different. If you do a summersault dive(dive at the same time as you jump, not at the apex of it) you'll get long jump distance, also when you jump up from sliding on your belly you gain a lot of speed and momentum that can be carried into another jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Or it’s because the Pokémon franchise as a whole is number 3 or 4 on the all time video game franchise sales chart behind Mario and Call of Duty probably.

I’m not sure about the games specifically, but Pokemon as an IP is literally the highest grossing media franchise in history.