Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been playing multiplayer to try and get better at Halo 4. I really dislike the lack of descoping and the ordnance drops, but I came across a game mode called Legendary Slayer and it was basically Halo 3 BR Slayer but in Halo 4 and it played a lot better without random drops and surprise overshields.

I recall that 343 was trying to add a server list to the game? I would love to search for lobbies of Slayer matches that don't include infinity slayer so I can avoid ordnance game modes.

Also, it is honestly impressive just how bad the Halo 4 helmets are. There's maybe four I like out of dozens, the Mk 6, the Enforcer, Recon and Scout, and the last two still look worse than the Reach versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

No ODST helmet is unforgivable

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, it is honestly impressive just how bad the Halo 4 helmets are. There's maybe four I like out of dozens, the Mk 6, the Enforcer, Recon and Scout, and the last two still look worse than the Reach versions.

Animal Friend posted:

From the sounds of things, they're adding Halo 4 Xbox 360's Champions Bundle DLC armors (ODST, Mark V, Ricochet, Prefect), in the next MCC season.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSbz1o0G-es

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Animal Friend posted:

The Recruit helmet is more or less that

Everything in 4 looks so overdesigned lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst part of it is the two-toned undersuits. If it was straight black like in 3 or Reach the armor pieces would pop more.

And nowbin Infinite we won't even be allowed to choose our own colours, just baked in skins.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 2, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Played some more halo 4 multiplayer. Vehicles aren't affected by jump pads like they are in Halo 3 multi. 0/10

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RBA Starblade posted:

try putting a backported 4 helmet on your chief or noble 6 in MCC and it's hilarious because of the mismatch though

not good, but hilarious

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I am stupidly pleased by the cosmetic options they keep adding, I love that my space Barbie now has ODST pants. The Halo 4 armor pieces usually look terrible but it's still fun to mix and match.

I hope they add more skins for the vehicles and weapons

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Halo 4 chest pieces without the gigantic popped collars are good. I like the soldier and aviator chest pieces.

Their shoulder armors are universally terrible though.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The new ODST armor looks incredible but the backported Halo 4 stuff both aesthetically looks like garbage and is a complete mismatch with the texturing, it's kind of insane

But anyway I got my fire axe and now I never need to play again

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Fun look at some of the Season 7 changes to Halo CE to bring it more in-line with the Xbox original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrWvxtldoHU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got it. Halo 4 and 5 are what Halo would look like if it was in the Mass Effect universe. That's why the helmets all look terrible.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've got it. Halo 4 and 5 are what Halo would look like if it was in the Mass Effect universe. That's why the helmets all look terrible.

Theyre also what it would look like if Bioware was writing the story!

:smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Great Beer posted:

Theyre also what it would look like if Bioware was writing the story!

:smith:

As bad as Andromeda was, it still wasn't as dumb as halo 5's plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zaphod42 posted:

As bad as Andromeda was, it still wasn't as dumb as halo 5's plot.

Now you say that, but why should I trust the word of a man whose brain is fueled by lemons?

Both Andromeda and Guardians have the same problem of trying to soft reboot an established franchise while being super adverse to actually engaging with the previous games. Andromeda is running from the ME3 ending controversy and sidestepping important poo poo people want answered. Halo 5 doubles down on the problem started with Halo 4 where they basically fell down the continuity hole and built nearly everything around references to books and comics and side stories only a fraction of players have even read. Is it really an improvement if the games refer to the Elites as Sangheilli?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What in Halo 5 is built around references to books and comics and side stories?

I don't think it's a good story but it's hardly one deeply rooted in the Halo EU either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

I don't think it's a good story but it's hardly one deeply rooted in the Halo EU either.

Isn't the entire opening built around Spartan Ops? They're hunting Jul M'Dama's Covenant and Halsey's entire motivation for ditching him after swearing revenge on the UNSC was explained in the comic follow-up to Spartan Ops after the first season crashed and burned.

Also Blue Team being there is one big EU reference in itself because at no time in any of the games before Halo 5 would a non book reader even know they exist.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I guess Blue Team itself is something someone who has only played the games would see coming out of nowhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Locke and Lasky having their introductions done in Nightfall and Forward Unto Dawn, respectively. Lasky is okay without watching Forward Unto Dawn but Locke is a mess. Unless you watched Nightfall you'd be like "who the hell is this guy?" and it's even worse when he gets awkwardly shoehorned into the Halo 2 Anniversary opening cutscene as a weak framing device.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 4, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to unlock the Mister Chief helmet but it won't register for me. You have to survive a fall that would normally kill you, so the best way to do that is to assassinate a grunt or the elite at the start of Pillar of Autumn on Reach. I've done that multiple times and it didn't unlock. My question is: is this achievement bugged or was it only unlockable during Season 5 and I'm hosed now because it's Season 7?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm trying to unlock the Mister Chief helmet but it won't register for me. You have to survive a fall that would normally kill you, so the best way to do that is to assassinate a grunt or the elite at the start of Pillar of Autumn on Reach. I've done that multiple times and it didn't unlock. My question is: is this achievement bugged or was it only unlockable during Season 5 and I'm hosed now because it's Season 7?

Pretty sure you're hosed sorry

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I tracked down a Series X because I wanted to play Halo and this seemed like the 'best' way to do it. I beat Halo 1 last week and started Halo 2 last night. The original graphics mode has tons of weird glitching and tearing. The plasma rifles have like a missing effect right on the side that kind of flutters all the time. Is this a normal experience and continuation of MCC being buggy as poo poo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shiroc posted:

I tracked down a Series X because I wanted to play Halo and this seemed like the 'best' way to do it. I beat Halo 1 last week and started Halo 2 last night. The original graphics mode has tons of weird glitching and tearing. The plasma rifles have like a missing effect right on the side that kind of flutters all the time. Is this a normal experience and continuation of MCC being buggy as poo poo?

Best way is actually PC

But no that doesn't sound normal

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 2 anniversary still has really bad performance drops on the level Regret, I guess running both OG and Anniversary graphics at the same time doesn't fare well on the larger maps.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Halo 2 Anni SP runs like poo poo on my PC for some reason. On Xbox it's fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's so bizarre how 343 prioritizes things for MCC. It's great that we're finally, finally getting unfucked CE graphics to fix the lovely Gearbox PC port that is the base for Halo 1, but there's still nothing about fixing the godawful hit detection for Halo 2 Classic MP which is based on Halo 2 Vista, or any of the graphical errors from H2 Classic. Meanwhile everything multiplayer is getting pushed into Halo 3 expansions, which is nice but it leaves the other multiplayer suites quite empty and languishing in an unfinished state. I barely play CE or Halo 2 multi because they run so poorly and suffer from a mixture of bugs and insane H2 veterans massacring anyone trying to jump into social games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I play MP Reach/3. Sometimes 4 if it throws me into it. No interest in the others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach is such a mixed bag for me because I like the gameplay and the weapon balance is quite good (alongside Halo 3) but the maps are all terrible and often way too large. There's so much empty space in the multiplayer maps for Reach and far too many sniper points that have no effective counters. The fact that they share layouts with single-player maps doesn't help because those maps aren't balanced around multiplayer and are too big even in SP. I think the only maps I like are the one with the vents, the one with the outer space section and a handful of the Forge asset maps and Griffball courts.

I like maps that funnel people into close quarters combat but too many Reach maps have unimpeded sight lines that make for tedious DMR fights at long range.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reach is such a mixed bag for me because I like the gameplay and the weapon balance is quite good (alongside Halo 3) but the maps are all terrible and often way too large. There's so much empty space in the multiplayer maps for Reach and far too many sniper points that have no effective counters. The fact that they share layouts with single-player maps doesn't help because those maps aren't balanced around multiplayer and are too big even in SP. I think the only maps I like are the one with the vents, the one with the outer space section and a handful of the Forge asset maps and Griffball courts.

I like maps that funnel people into close quarters combat but too many Reach maps have unimpeded sight lines that make for tedious DMR fights at long range.

Btb is my favorite in Reach and yet at the same time a few of its maps got some serious problems, like with Spire and Boneyard where you effectively don't use half the map.

Halo 4 maps are generally better but it's that ordinance system that's kind of annoying.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Sword Base is a good map.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whichever map it is in Reach that has the two large bases, teleporters to the side bases with one being near a waterfall, and a crashed pelican in the middle is the absolute worst for it. The sniper rifles spawn in the base and the one base just has perfect sight to everywhere else from it so everyone hides and plinks until someone inevitably gets bored, fills up the Falcon or a warthog, and gives the other team a free triple kill

It's pretty fun in AR starts because you can actually walk out the door

The one icy invasion map also sucks super hard for whoever is unfortunate enough to get the Elite-side spawn in non-asymmetric games. Hope you like getting spawn camped!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I forget the name but that map in Halo 3 that's three levels tall and the only way to the top is two ramps with no cover or three super obvious gravity lifts is easily the worst map in any multiplayer game I've ever played.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Construct is a pain in the rear end because it's so easy for people to camp at the top of the grav lifts with the shotgun and the sword.

Blackout and Guardian are probably my fsvourite because they're both variations of Lockout from Halo 2.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Guardian is my favourite. It's the only map that can make me feel like some kind of ninja, lots of chances for cool jumps and ways to get the drop on people.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lockout and it's derivatives are great, for sure. Halo is at its best at close range. Battle rifle fights are the worst. No need to try, just click them four times and make sure they didn't click you first. Such skill. Much fun. Wow. :geno:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Giving the "make everything BR starts only" people what they wanted helped make matchmaking really lovely back in the day

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
All Halo Infinite should have is Swat. Nothing else. Not even a campaign.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have fond memories of playing Oddball on Lockout in 2, being able to dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge in all sorts of directions that my friends didn't expect. I never had the opportunity to play 2 online, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Tighclops posted:

Giving the "make everything BR starts only" people what they wanted helped make matchmaking really lovely back in the day

Bro I'm MLG.