Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If you thought it was going to go OTM and not come back, isn’t that a reason to exercise early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

drunken officeparty posted:

If you thought it was going to go OTM and not come back, isn’t that a reason to exercise early?

Once exercised you lose the additional value someone else is willing to pay because they think it will keep going up. Sell the option to someone else and you will get equal to or more than exercise every time.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

maybe it was AMC and they exercised to become shareholders for the free popcorn

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

To clarify, I own the stock. I’m not sure how the PMCCs work, but thanks for the insight!

I mainly do thetagang strategies - sell puts at ~30 delta until assigned, then sell calls at ~30 delta until called away.

AKA The Wheel or Triple Income.

This is how I trade options on underlyings I would otherwise trade. If the underlying pays a dividend I start on the covered call side, calculate the profits I'd get if I were assigned on the first contract and take 50% of that and buy extra shares and hold on to them forever.

Spreadsheets are vital.

Cacafuego posted:

I’ve sold a few covered calls that were ITM that someone exercised early in the middle of a trading day. Don’t know why, but it’s happened

If it's just prior to ex-dividend day and the dividend is greater than the extrinsic value left on the contract, that's a common reason for early assignment.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 6, 2021

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

MAYO FETISH posted:

puts on DASH gently caress DASH

also anyone else buy calls on vxx/vix

Nope, sell calls on VXX/UVXY. Give it some time and watch it eat poo poo due to VIX futures contango.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How long are folks here holding on to their stocks?

I sort of got into the habit of buying stocks as small hobby from companies I thought were undervalued, companies I've worked for in the past or ones that I think simply do a good job. With the exception of Bumble :smith: - I'm actually up by ~5% but honestly I don't have any motivation to sell in the short term. Ideally, I am just going to let them sit for maybe a few years until I need the money for a down payment on a home, new car, vacation, rainy day, etc. I suspect that I'd probably be better of investing my money elsewhere but my retirement investment options are already on track and I've got plenty of savings.

I guess I could lose it all but unless there's another pandemic that's pretty freaking unlikely. Am I on the right track here?

I'm usually adding or trimming my positions over time, I don't dump everything in at once, but if you started the clock from my first position to when I completely close out, I'd say 6 months to three years. It really depends on how things go. I usually have a price target in mind, and there's only so much I'm willing to let a single position run. Pretty much, I have my thesis and as things progress I'm checking in on it. If nothing fundamental changed about the company except its share price I'll keep buying more, a little at a time. On the flip side, if nothing changed and suddenly the share price is up like 30-50% (this seemed to happen a lot in 2020) then I'd trim my position down by 1/3 or 2/3 or whatever, wait and watch, if it returned back, buy some more. Once I'm in the vicinity of my target price, I'm out. I only own a maximum of four or so individual companies a time, typically it's one or two. This has worked fantastically well for me over the last 13 years, YMMV. I don't see the appeal in losing money chasing meme stocks and options

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

jeeves posted:

Yeah the people making real money that everyone is jerking off to on Reddit are usually options traders, which is legit gambling. You only hear of the winners, not the tons of others who constantly lose big on everything.

If you want to make some money just throw a couple thousands into VTI or something like that, and seriously just forget it about it. Then come back in 6 months and see it's gone up by like $300-500 per thousand that you've put in.

But then again this is the wrong thread for that last paragraph!

jeeves posted:

I put those false numbers there to test to see if anyone reads non-gambling numbers itt

I was still too busy wondering why people are gambling on stocks while having credit card debt.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
https://twitter.com/alexhcranz/status/1401595409055768577?s=21

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

paternity suitor posted:

I'm usually adding or trimming my positions over time, I don't dump everything in at once, but if you started the clock from my first position to when I completely close out, I'd say 6 months to three years. It really depends on how things go. I usually have a price target in mind, and there's only so much I'm willing to let a single position run. Pretty much, I have my thesis and as things progress I'm checking in on it. If nothing fundamental changed about the company except its share price I'll keep buying more, a little at a time. On the flip side, if nothing changed and suddenly the share price is up like 30-50% (this seemed to happen a lot in 2020) then I'd trim my position down by 1/3 or 2/3 or whatever, wait and watch, if it returned back, buy some more. Once I'm in the vicinity of my target price, I'm out. I only own a maximum of four or so individual companies a time, typically it's one or two. This has worked fantastically well for me over the last 13 years, YMMV. I don't see the appeal in losing money chasing meme stocks and options

May you go into a little deeper detail into this? How are you determining the price target? Right now, I'm just kind of going with my gut.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This daughter is going places. Scamming churches is one of the easiest cons out there.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Pastor losing clout to 15yo crypto scammer

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The pastor definitely wants all the bitcoins to be given to the church.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Only god can run a ponzi so big that it can’t fail

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s when you know poo poo is lame. God is into it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How long are folks here holding on to their stocks?

I sort of got into the habit of buying stocks as small hobby from companies I thought were undervalued, companies I've worked for in the past or ones that I think simply do a good job. With the exception of Bumble :smith: - I'm actually up by ~5% but honestly I don't have any motivation to sell in the short term. Ideally, I am just going to let them sit for maybe a few years until I need the money for a down payment on a home, new car, vacation, rainy day, etc. I suspect that I'd probably be better of investing my money elsewhere but my retirement investment options are already on track and I've got plenty of savings.

I guess I could lose it all but unless there's another pandemic that's pretty freaking unlikely. Am I on the right track here?
between a few seconds and a few hours (for my trading account)

have boring target retirement ETFs for retirement accounts that i never touch

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Reddit is going nuts on BB so join me in regretting not buying at 4.00 when it hits 60.00 tomorrow

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Reddit is going nuts on BB so join me in regretting not buying at 4.00 when it hits 60.00 tomorrow

BB Or BBW?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Apex clearing won’t let me open BBW orders which was annoying but I did make some money before that. Been locked down for a few days.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BB - Blackberry

Like every post is someone putting thousands in at opening tomorrow

e: this is an observation only. Do NOT take this as me recommending it. It's already massively overvalued @ 13.xx

e2: but who knows, wallstreetbets is dumb as poo poo and could do something stupid with it like they did amc and gme

e3: oh god I'm reading the tea leaves of reddit. My brain is fully broken.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2021

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BB - Blackberry

Like every post is someone putting thousands in at opening tomorrow

e: this is an observation only. Do NOT take this as me recommending it. It's already massively overvalued @ 13.xx

e2: but who knows, wallstreetbets is dumb as poo poo and could do something stupid with it like they did amc and gme

e3: oh god I'm reading the tea leaves of reddit. My brain is fully broken.

I’ll skip the memepile and just buy some Popeyes tomorrow lol

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I finally got around to trying one of their chicken sandwiches that were all the rage in the before times. That was probably the only fast food item Ive ever had that lived up to the hype. For what it cost it was excellent.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I finally got around to trying one of their chicken sandwiches that were all the rage in the before times. That was probably the only fast food item Ive ever had that lived up to the hype. For what it cost it was excellent.

#YOLO PLKI tomorrow I guess.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Virigoth posted:

#YOLO PLKI tomorrow I guess.

QSR. They were acquired in 2017.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell does BlackBerry even still exist as a company in the first place?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Girbot posted:

QSR. They were acquired in 2017.

Dare I dream of a world where Popeye's becomes a meme stock and the shareholders get free sandwiches?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How the hell does BlackBerry even still exist as a company in the first place?

IP Licensing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dare I dream of a world where Popeye's becomes a meme stock and the shareholders get free sandwiches?

Honestly, I’m surprised this isn’t a thing already.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*I step out of a time machine on the floor of the NYSE in 1985*

Greetings. I come from the future. A bunch of bored teenagers who call themselves apes and refer to money as chicken nuggets have turned dead technology into a joke and that joke controls the stock market but we all get free popcorn. Bye.

*I get back in the machine and vanish in a burst of electricity as papers scatter in the wind*

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
One thing I've seen pop up a lot is HMBL, which looks dumb, but people are buying into because it might become a popular app.

The only problem is that a Google search brings up an article detailing their hilarious failures.

It has 57k followers on Stocktwits, so are a lot of people going to eat poo poo on this?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Red posted:

One thing I've seen pop up a lot is HMBL, which looks dumb, but people are buying into because it might become a popular app.

The only problem is that a Google search brings up an article detailing their hilarious failures.

It has 57k followers on Stocktwits, so are a lot of people going to eat poo poo on this?

If I've learned anything in the last decade it's that the financial instruments whose proponents sound the most like cult members are the most successful and by that metric Holding My Butt Laughing looks like a winner plus the ticker symbol itself has strong meme IV

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

shame on an IGA posted:

If I've learned anything in the last decade it's that the financial instruments whose proponents sound the most like cult members are the most successful and by that metric Holding My Butt Laughing looks like a winner plus the ticker symbol itself has strong meme IV

Meme stocks are fun and can make dumb people rich/homeless, but they're still not good long-term investments.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Red posted:

I bought some when it was a couple cents and sold the same day for 50% back when it was a tile flooring penny stock that got bought to use as a reverse merger ticker for crypto vaporware. It is still worth zero cents because none of its apps have any users and no prospects to ever have any.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

shame on an IGA posted:

Elon Musk is the wealthiest person in the world because he has a cult following despite being an idiot failson who never created anything, so this theory checks out.

So I guess HMBL MOON rocketship emoji

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

plus the ticker symbol itself has strong meme IV

I made some good money trading warrants on LMAO until I finally left SPACs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

*I step out of a time machine on the floor of the NYSE in 1985*

Greetings. I come from the future. A bunch of bored teenagers who call themselves apes and refer to money as chicken nuggets have turned dead technology into a joke and that joke controls the stock market but we all get free popcorn. Bye.

*I get back in the machine and vanish in a burst of electricity as papers scatter in the wind*

ahem, it is chicken tenders, or "tendies"... you may have altered the course of history now, thanks.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Girbot posted:

I made some good money trading warrants on LMAO until I finally left SPACs.

I’m bag holding YOLO like a motherfuck

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Girbot posted:

IP Licensing.

Plus Blackberry supposedly has a helluvan operating system for electric vehicles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Girbot posted:

IP Licensing.

To the actual berry. Typical for botanical simpletons, it didn't have the business acumen to own its trademark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Plus Blackberry supposedly has a helluvan operating system for electric vehicles.

It’s an infotainment OS and apparently Google is also making inroads to the sector. Might be fine for BB or they might get crushed mercilessly.