Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Any of you backing Witcher: the Old World? I'm still in currently but the usual "oh here's three more expansions that double the price" in combination with the studio's relative inexperience is making me re-think.

Of course huge projects have worked just fine even from first-timers, and they don't seem to be falling into the "overpromise trap", but I dunno. I like that it's a shorter game, not yet another endless campaign nobody will ever have time to play. I like that it's a streamlined Runebound, a game I enjoy.

I don't like that the "mini-less" basic box pledge is essentially pointless as all the stretch goals and expansions have miniatures (and I know myself too well to pretend I'll stick to just the base box). It's also silly that the expansions aren't compatible with each other or the co-op mode.

What are peoples' thoughts? Are you sticking with it? Dropping it? Never even backed in the first place? I'm having a hard time deciding, but that there's still no rulebook is pushing me off the fence towards cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Any of you backing Witcher: the Old World? I'm still in currently but the usual "oh here's three more expansions that double the price" in combination with the studio's relative inexperience is making me re-think.

Of course huge projects have worked just fine even from first-timers, and they don't seem to be falling into the "overpromise trap", but I dunno. I like that it's a shorter game, not yet another endless campaign nobody will ever have time to play. I like that it's a streamlined Runebound, a game I enjoy.

I don't like that the "mini-less" basic box pledge is essentially pointless as all the stretch goals and expansions have miniatures (and I know myself too well to pretend I'll stick to just the base box). It's also silly that the expansions aren't compatible with each other or the co-op mode.

What are peoples' thoughts? Are you sticking with it? Dropping it? Never even backed in the first place? I'm having a hard time deciding, but that there's still no rulebook is pushing me off the fence towards cancellation.

Unless you're in love with the minis there's no reason to back until you see a rulebook. Right now it has all the hallmarks of a typical "box o minis with a rules sheet stapled to it"

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 6, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mojo Jojo posted:

Unless you're in live with the minis there's no reason to back until you see a rulebook. Right now it has all the hallmarks of a typical "box o minis with a rules sheet stapled to it"

Yeah, that's my current impression as well. Typing it all up has helped me decide to cancel, actually. If it's good it'll be out in retail.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I’d like the Crones just for painting, but that’s about it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It was an immediate skip for me. I've never heard of the company, it's trying to do PvP and coop in the same box at the same time, and it appears to mostly be trading on a big pile of minis and a license. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not that licensed boardgames are always awful - I'm even excited about the Elder Scrolls game Chip Theory teased! But I'm excited about it because it's Chip Theory, who I think have a track record of pretty consistently delivering awesome varied games, taking on an IP I like. I am nowhere near as interested in, say, Modiphius' Skyrim game because the license alone does not mean quality and when it's coming from a company I don't already trust to do good games, I feel like it's more of a warning sign. It's "you should be excited about this because it's name-checking this stuff you like", not "you should be excited about this because of its cool and innovative mechanical design".

(No shade on Modiphius per se - they seem to do decent RPGs. But I haven't played anything they've done in the boardgame space and that's a different design challenge.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yeah, I wasn't backing because OMG THE WITCHER, but because it sounded like a streamlined Runebound in a setting I like, but overall y'all are right. Money saved!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

malkav11 posted:

(No shade on Modiphius per se - they seem to do decent RPGs. But I haven't played anything they've done in the boardgame space and that's a different design challenge.)

Actually the Fallout game is pretty great. Skyrim uses pretty much the same system. Although I’d prefer the system wasn’t so Skyrim focused but maybe that’s the only part of the IP they could get. :shrug:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually the Fallout game is pretty great. Skyrim uses pretty much the same system. Although I’d prefer the system wasn’t so Skyrim focused but maybe that’s the only part of the IP they could get. :shrug:

Well, in the case of Wasteland Warfare and the Skyrim equivalent, I'm not interested because they're miniatures-based wargames, which is wildly not my bag. But I believe they have an upcoming Skyrim boardgame that's more of an adventure game. (And yeah, I suspect they specifically got the Skyrim license, much like how Chip Theory seems to have gotten the Elder Scrolls Online license.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

malkav11 posted:

Well, in the case of Wasteland Warfare and the Skyrim equivalent, I'm not interested because they're miniatures-based wargames, which is wildly not my bag. But I believe they have an upcoming Skyrim boardgame that's more of an adventure game. (And yeah, I suspect they specifically got the Skyrim license, much like how Chip Theory seems to have gotten the Elder Scrolls Online license.)

Ah, I did not realize they do real board games as well. I have the FF Fallout game and it’s okay I guess.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gschmidl posted:

I probably would have if it wasn't for all the expansions like you mentioned. I like the art style but I feel like we're going to get bombarded with video game ips soon, and I'm running out of storage space

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I looked closely at Witcher, but what scared me off was the expansions thing as others mentioned, plus I watched a playthrough and didn't like the randomness of dice poker.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm backing Witcher just for the minis. If the game is good then that's a bonus I guess. Also, has there been a single mini-based boardgame on kickstarter in the last 2 years that didn't have extra expansions as part of the campaign? At this point it's pretty much expected.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I'm backing Witcher just for the minis. If the game is good then that's a bonus I guess. Also, has there been a single mini-based boardgame on kickstarter in the last 2 years that didn't have extra expansions as part of the campaign? At this point it's pretty much expected.

Hel only had cosmetics like playmats and it was very refreshing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bagrada posted:

I looked closely at Witcher, but what scared me off was the expansions thing as others mentioned, plus I watched a playthrough and didn't like the randomness of dice poker.

I wonder how well the dice combat system matches the system in the Witcher Adventure Game.

That game had had some real problems(*), but it also had some really good ideas. One of the things I thought worked super well was the dice-based combat system. I don't know how well it meshes with what Old World does for combat, but if they kept that system that would be a pretty nice feature. You could meaningfully eyeball a fight before it happened, and combat itself was fast to resolve, simple to grasp, and meshed really well with how the increased abilities and powerups worked.

(*) Frankly, if you began by dumpstering the Foul Fate deck (which you can never fully avoid, and it contains wildly, completely random swingy results ranging from "nothing happens" all the way to "basically game over for you" that you have no control over) the game would be instantly, greatly improved.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yeah, getting out was a good idea confirmed.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Fan of the old FASA Renegade Legion: Interceptor? Well then you might like this new one. We at FASA Games (yes, we are still around, with one of the original founders even!) have given the old classic a bit of a facelift with a new setting to integrate with the rest of the FASA Games cosmology (Earthdawn, 1879), more or less. The rules draw inspiration from Crimson Skies, original Interceptor, and a few other places to make a fast-paced starfighter combat game. The maneuver template cuts down the old counting hexes and turns calculation, and cards are used for the fighters and pilots.

Kickstarter is live at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-0

FASA Games is still around at https://fasagames.com/

Oh, and if you have ideas to help our Kickstarter, we could probably use them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bogieman posted:

Fan of the old FASA Renegade Legion: Interceptor? Well then you might like this new one. We at FASA Games (yes, we are still around, with one of the original founders even!) have given the old classic a bit of a facelift with a new setting to integrate with the rest of the FASA Games cosmology (Earthdawn, 1879), more or less. The rules draw inspiration from Crimson Skies, original Interceptor, and a few other places to make a fast-paced starfighter combat game. The maneuver template cuts down the old counting hexes and turns calculation, and cards are used for the fighters and pilots.

Kickstarter is live at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-0

FASA Games is still around at https://fasagames.com/

Oh, and if you have ideas to help our Kickstarter, we could probably use them.

I was always a bigger fan of Centurion, but I did back this already.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Yeah, getting out was a good idea confirmed.

Do people not like exclusives like this? I hate backing games in kickstarter that turn out to be more expensive due to shipping than if I had just bought at a LGS, but if there's some exclusives in there I find that's a good tradeoff.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Thanks for the support!

Interceptor was the first line I wanted to tackle because I really like starfighter games, but Centurion was a big second, We ended up putting that on the backburner since Budgie Smuggler Games is launching their version. I am kind of bummed because I really like Centurion, too. Still, with luck this game will fund as the other main developer and I have a lot of other ideas for a "combined" game system setting like RL had with Centurion, Interceptor, Leviathan, and Prefect. I really want to talk Ross into a skirmish game too, but I think it would be really hard to compete in that market.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Do people not like exclusives like this? I hate backing games in kickstarter that turn out to be more expensive due to shipping than if I had just bought at a LGS, but if there's some exclusives in there I find that's a good tradeoff.

KS gameplay exclusives suck, all-in-only exclusives suck much worse.

I want some reward for having backed instead of bought at retail, but I don't need a special reward for all-in (other than perhaps a bulk discount), and to me restricting content availability is punishing latecomers, not rewarding early adopters. I'll happily take freebies that latecomers get charged for, though!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

malkav11 posted:

KS gameplay exclusives suck, all-in-only exclusives suck much worse.

I want some reward for having backed instead of bought at retail, but I don't need a special reward for all-in (other than perhaps a bulk discount), and to me restricting content availability is punishing latecomers, not rewarding early adopters. I'll happily take freebies that latecomers get charged for, though!

Fair enough. A bulk discount would be nice for sure, but at the same time I completely understand why all-in exclusives are a thing. FOMO is a hell of a selling tool.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Generally it's not a good thing to support predatory practices, but I guess some people really want a Ciri mini.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bogieman posted:

So not even a nod at the pseudo-Newtonian movement in the original ? And how is that maneuver template the best idea to survive playtesting ?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Centurion was broke as gently caress. Outstanding setting and vehicle designs, but the damage template system turned combat into a hideous slog.

Centurion trivia time ! How many shots did the biggest gun in the game need to kill the weakest vehicle in the game ? Two, with about a 30% chance of actually happening, so it could take more !

Now as a Dirtside II setting, you had a drat good grav tank game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bogieman posted:

Thanks for the support!

Interceptor was the first line I wanted to tackle because I really like starfighter games, but Centurion was a big second, We ended up putting that on the backburner since Budgie Smuggler Games is launching their version. I am kind of bummed because I really like Centurion, too. Still, with luck this game will fund as the other main developer and I have a lot of other ideas for a "combined" game system setting like RL had with Centurion, Interceptor, Leviathan, and Prefect. I really want to talk Ross into a skirmish game too, but I think it would be really hard to compete in that market.

Three words. Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. :colbert:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I still have my old Centurian stuff. Every once in a while I dig it out and think about playing it, but the rules were always a stumbling block. We could never make sense of the movement, even then. We mostly just guessed at what it was supposed to be. I’d be down for a new version though.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why did FASA make another sci-fi tank game when they already had Battletech? Just curious

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Imagined posted:

Why did FASA make another sci-fi tank game when they already had Battletech? Just curious

No idea, I'd ask Ross, but I suspect the answer is something along the lines that back in the day they all worked in an office and it was their day job so they had more time to spam out products, with a lot less competition.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

So not even a nod at the pseudo-Newtonian movement in the original ? And how is that maneuver template the best idea to survive playtesting ?

It started that way, but it was a bit clunky and prone to people losing track of things. Ross suggested we look to the template from Crimson Skies, we worked from there and found that a lot of the time we were able to get fighters into similar positions as the more complex rules with less hassle. The playtesters so far have not had negative comments, but game play has sped up considerably with less tracking of stuff between turns. I agree that there is a loss of some "realism", but the increase to play speed has been nice, and it is a lot easier to teach the game to people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

More things work on the table than on paper, that's for sure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bogieman posted:

It started that way, but it was a bit clunky and prone to people losing track of things. Ross suggested we look to the template from Crimson Skies, we worked from there and found that a lot of the time we were able to get fighters into similar positions as the more complex rules with less hassle. The playtesters so far have not had negative comments, but game play has sped up considerably with less tracking of stuff between turns. I agree that there is a loss of some "realism", but the increase to play speed has been nice, and it is a lot easier to teach the game to people.

Crimson Skies is pretty awesome still. I built a pair of Autogyros that used the Beeper-Seeker missile combo to simulate the old AH-64/OH-58 teams.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Holy poo poo the price on the Witcher all-in pledge is nuts and this is coming from someone who buys almost all Awaken Realms all in pledges and bought Marvel Heroes All-in. Definitely sending up so red flags as others have mentioned.

Edit: I just checked back at some of those other kickstarters. The base box for those was substantially less as were the expansions for more content from seasoned developers. This is outrageously expensive.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 9, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawlicaust posted:

Holy poo poo the price on the Witcher all-in pledge is nuts and this is coming from someone who buys almost all Awaken Realms all in pledges and bought Marvel Heroes All-in. Definitely sending up so red flags as others have mentioned.

Edit: I just checked back at some of those other kickstarters. The base box for those was substantially less as were the expansions for more content from seasoned developers. This is outrageously expensive.

Got to toss a coin (or several hundred) to your Witcher. Licenses don't pay for themselves.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Toss a coin to your Witcher's management team :(

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lawlicaust posted:

Not just that but
- trying to please the baying morons always goes wrong in some way
- all-in-only exclusives
- still no rules
- expansions not compatible with each other
- "we're going to make it better but no idea how, we'll tell you in a few months!"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

gschmidl posted:

Not just that but
- trying to please the baying morons always goes wrong in some way
- all-in-only exclusives
- still no rules
- expansions not compatible with each other
- "we're going to make it better but no idea how, we'll tell you in a few months!"
I would have been interested if it were a co-op game from the start AND taking place in the modern game timeline instead of a prequel with a bunch of nobody witchers.
The fact that it was a competitive game with a tacked-on solo mode scared me off.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The Witcher campaign sends daily updates that are several "pages" long, every drat day. I've been just deleting them on sight because they never have anything to do with e.g. gameplay.

The latest I saw had a section on "wait, I'm confused about the pledge levels, etc" and the answer no poo poo was "well we suggest you read all the updates".

Well dang, what about if I just wanted to back a game instead of commit to basically a part-time job?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well dang, what about if I just wanted to back a game instead of commit to basically a part-time job?

That you have to pay for.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Witcher campaign sends daily updates that are several "pages" long, every drat day. I've been just deleting them on sight because they never have anything to do with e.g. gameplay.

50% of each of them is "we listened to you and made things worse!"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

The Eyes Have It posted:

The main problem with doing this is that when you actually need to tell your backers something half of them will miss it because this is how people respond when you spam the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Do people actually watch Kickstarter videos? We're working on the one for my upcoming game and I'm super excited about it, but I can't help but wonder how many eyes it's going to have.

I rarely watch them. I've been watching them more often lately, just to see what other campaigns are doing, and they rarely sell me on a game. Sometimes I'll watch the how to play or preview videos, if I'm really on the fence. But I'm also the kind of person who backs a kickstarter and forgets about it until it ships. I rarely read updates. I rarely check in on the status. I just let it show up.

Clearly I'm not the target market though. Engagement is huge, getting likes and follows and retweets and what have you is super important to a successful campaign. There are people those things are reaching. I'm just not one of them.

That being said...

I'm so stoked about the video we're producing. It's turning out awesome and I can't stop watching it. I'm super excited to share it with the world. Even if that means people like me aren't going to see it.