Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

If you have multiple local options, pick someone with testimonials from different specialities or by people with fit needs that match yours.
The Retul machine is cool, but outside of changing stem stuff, you don't lose that much time in a session using the actual bike you're gonna ride.

You want someone with a good eye for when your pedaling is effective and safe on your body. The video analysis tools Retul gives fitters don't work without that experience.
Like tobin said, different people will arrive at different solutions, but you should trust that a good fitter will get you to a fit that has you pedaling happy on the bike.

I guess the head fitting guy at the place I was looking at works with US Olympic riders in some fashion (which is probably a bit different than the bikepacking stuff I'm getting ready to do) and they've got a ton of good reviews on Google at a glance. The shop didn't really seem pushy one way or the other, and now I have an email chain going with their fitter to see what he thinks the best route for me might be.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
actionjackson; Whatever robots are watching me post just threw this big article about how to set up cleats properly for newbies via Apple news

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a36342419/how-to-set-up-cycling-cleats/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

learnincurve posted:

Could you try flat pedals and comfy shoes? If you eliminate one possibility then it will help narrow it down :)

That would be worth it to rule out the shoes. Like if the same saddle settings +/- 5mm still produced numbness in flat shoes, it'd be saddle shape or positioning.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

learnincurve posted:

actionjackson; Whatever robots are watching me post just threw this big article about how to set up cleats properly for newbies via Apple news

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a36342419/how-to-set-up-cycling-cleats/

thanks, I actually found all the stuff by Steve Hogg incidentally yesterday

quote:

Shoe sizes Euro 46 to 47: 11 to 14 mm front

this is me, so I want the ball of my foot to be 11-14 mm in front of the cleat, correct? The ball of my right foot is about 1/2 inch more forward than the left, so it may be that my right cleat needs to be moved up just a tiny amount, while the left cleat should stay where it is. I will check the distance to the ball currently with both cleats in the furthest back position.

I will also try angling the cleats so they are pointed slightly towards the bike, which would mean my feet are pointing outwards a bit. This is probably a good idea as I do sometimes notice that when starting up at my bike, if I am turning really sharply the front of my shoe can end up making a bit of contact with the back of the front tire.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 5, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got my new bike together. Man this poo poo is ancient. Wish I had disc brakes and shift levers on brake levers...

My shoes are being modified so I used some old flat plastic pedals.

Weight is 10.6kg without water bottle.

I did a 33km test drive. The 25mm tyres at 100psi were very comfortable (I'm 90kg). I wonder if the pressure was really 100. I just have one cheap floor pump.
https://strava.app.link/C9KAuQ1FQgb

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 5, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Audax Day! Off from Cambridge to Melton Mowbray, home of the pork pie*, and back. Although my riding companions decided that we should do the "Extra Slice" version of the route (on the least audax bikes possible - an aeroad, a propel, a caad13 and me on my tarmac), which added on a few km, about 200m of climbing and most importantly half a dozen 15%+ ramps, capping out at 22%.

Absolutely beautiful day for it, with no wind and bright sunshine. It was the kind of England that Brexiteers think the country is like, instead of gloomy and dismal like yesterday.

If anything it was too warm - not so bad starting at 8am meaning we sailed through to the Melton Mowbray control, but by midday it was hot and humid (22 degrees doesn't sound like much, but the humidity peaked at 90% today and yesterday was a full 10°C colder) and generally nasty, leading to a stop on the way back 60k out from home to get more fluids. I also had lots of flies stuck to me due to the sun cream, a superior outcome compared to my riding companions who were literally getting blisters on their arms from the sun. Horrendous.

The other notable event was having to stop for about 10 minutes as a guy was shepherding sheep down the road, blocking it completely. Fortunately we were in no danger of missing the time cut.

I also did a couple of sprints (one at each end) and I somehow managed to get my highest ever 5 second power? What's that about.

All in all, really good fun especially as I've been stuck inside the past few days.

(This includes the ride home but not the ride to the start line, the actual audax itself was a frankly dodgy-for-a-200km-event 224km)

*To any american readers, it's a mixture of pork meat and jellied pork fat in shortcrust pastry. About 3" across and absolutely horrendous.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 5, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Headwind can suck my dick. I know i am not quick (just started doing a sustained 13-15 MPH on flat surfaces), but it was taking me a loving lot of effort to maintain 10 mph.

also it rained

also i forgot my water back home.

:negative:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Headwind can suck my dick. I know i am not quick (just started doing a sustained 13-15 MPH on flat surfaces), but it was taking me a loving lot of effort to maintain 10 mph.

This is one of the best arguments for getting a power meter imo, because knowing that you're pushing threshold and have proof despite going 10mph is a lot better than just feeling slow

(Obviously expensive etc)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is one of the best arguments for getting a power meter imo, because knowing that you're pushing threshold and have proof despite going 10mph is a lot better than just feeling slow

(Obviously expensive etc)

I do want one, but its extremely low in my priorities. I can however show this:

You can literary see when i decided to nope out of the headwind and when it became a tail wind.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ihmemies posted:

I got my new bike together. Man this poo poo is ancient. Wish I had disc brakes and shift levers on brake levers...

My shoes are being modified so I used some old flat plastic pedals.

Weight is 10.6kg without water bottle.

I did a 33km test drive. The 25mm tyres at 100psi were very comfortable (I'm 90kg). I wonder if the pressure was really 100. I just have one cheap floor pump.
https://strava.app.link/C9KAuQ1FQgb

That is an absolute beauty. Drop the pressure though

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That is an absolute beauty. Drop the pressure though

Why? 100psi felt quite soft already. The Schwalbe One tyres state the range as 85-130psi and I thought fat guys like me need more than the minimum.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(This includes the ride home but not the ride to the start line, the actual audax itself was a frankly dodgy-for-a-200km-event 224km)

*To any american readers, it's a mixture of pork meat and jellied pork fat in shortcrust pastry. About 3" across and absolutely horrendous.

This is an extremely crazy ride. I am very impressed.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yeah, that's nuts! really cool. how many of you were there, MrL_JaKiri? just the four of you?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

This is probably a good idea as I do sometimes notice that when starting up at my bike, if I am turning really sharply the front of my shoe can end up making a bit of contact with the back of the front tire.

Toe overlap is a consequence of bike geometry and frame sizing more than your foot size. There's legit reasons to angle the cleats (to mirror your neutral foot angle), but you shouldn't sacrifice fit to try to eke out clearance for tight turns. In those cases, just coast until the wheel is turned straighter or backpedal so your foot is out of the way and then pedal forward.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Toe overlap is a consequence of bike geometry and frame sizing more than your foot size. There's legit reasons to angle the cleats (to mirror your neutral foot angle), but you shouldn't sacrifice fit to try to eke out clearance for tight turns. In those cases, just coast until the wheel is turned straighter or backpedal so your foot is out of the way and then pedal forward.

Okay, thanks. Do you agree with what the Hogg guy said about starting with your cleats pointed in just slightly inward towards your bike?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Out of interest when you sit on it unclipped how do your feet touch the floor?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Okay, thanks. Do you agree with what the Hogg guy said about starting with your cleats pointed in just slightly inward towards your bike?

I think it's a fine starting point. You have a decent amount of float with SPDs anyway. Unless you have extreme varus/valgus, you can use your normal walking/standing foot stance as reference. Are you duckfooted? If so, do the thing you're describing -- from the top, your shoes should look like a 7 and mirrored 7 wrt the pedal axles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*checks Wikipedia* I am not duckfooted

I will say that I realized my seat is pointing up, not sure how that happened, so I'll try riding with it level or slightly downward and see how that affects the time to numbness. I did contact a place to setup a fitting.

learnincurve, when I put my foot on the ground while sitting on the bike with my bike shoes on, my feet point slightly outward. I suppose this would be even more reason to have my cleats point a bit inward?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

actionjackson posted:

nope not yet, I just put in a new saddle and kept it flat like the previous one, but I can definitely give it a try! I assume the idea is to reduce pressure from the nose of the saddle

I absolutely empathise with you having been in a similar place, and I strongly believe that you should bite the bullet and get a bike fit... but I just want to check first; you are using bib shorts yeah?

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 6, 2021

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dear god no, they are absolutely delicious and I would kill for one right now. That pastry...

e: the pastry isn't shortcrust, it's a hot water crust.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Audax Day! Off from Cambridge to Melton Mowbray, home of the pork pie*, and back.

That's bloody glorious! What a ride!

gently caress, 229km, fml :o:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Audax Day! Off from Cambridge to Melton Mowbray, home of the pork pie*, and back. Although my riding companions decided that we should do the "Extra Slice" version of the route (on the least audax bikes possible - an aeroad, a propel, a caad13 and me on my tarmac), which added on a few km, about 200m of climbing and most importantly half a dozen 15%+ ramps, capping out at 22%.

Absolutely beautiful day for it, with no wind and bright sunshine. It was the kind of England that Brexiteers think the country is like, instead of gloomy and dismal like yesterday.

If anything it was too warm - not so bad starting at 8am meaning we sailed through to the Melton Mowbray control, but by midday it was hot and humid (22 degrees doesn't sound like much, but the humidity peaked at 90% today and yesterday was a full 10°C colder) and generally nasty, leading to a stop on the way back 60k out from home to get more fluids. I also had lots of flies stuck to me due to the sun cream, a superior outcome compared to my riding companions who were literally getting blisters on their arms from the sun. Horrendous.

The other notable event was having to stop for about 10 minutes as a guy was shepherding sheep down the road, blocking it completely. Fortunately we were in no danger of missing the time cut.

I also did a couple of sprints (one at each end) and I somehow managed to get my highest ever 5 second power? What's that about.

All in all, really good fun especially as I've been stuck inside the past few days.

Owns

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
today, I discovered why you grease the threads of your pedals before screwing the pedals in

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

actionjackson posted:

*checks Wikipedia* I am not duckfooted

I will say that I realized my seat is pointing up, not sure how that happened, so I'll try riding with it level or slightly downward and see how that affects the time to numbness. I did contact a place to setup a fitting.

learnincurve, when I put my foot on the ground while sitting on the bike with my bike shoes on, my feet point slightly outward. I suppose this would be even more reason to have my cleats point a bit inward?

I ask because from what you have said about your bike so far it sounds like the correct height would be if you are sat on your bike you should be on the very edge of your tippy toes when trying to reach the floor with both feet - I just spent today setting the height on my new bike with one foot on the kerb to keep balance. If you try to put your heel on the pedal when it’s at the lowest position and it won’t connect then you gone too high.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

meltie posted:

I absolutely empathise with you having been in a similar place, and I strongly believe that you should bite the bullet and get a bike fit... but I just want to check first; you are using bib shorts yeah?

yep I'm good on the apparel side! :)

learnincurve posted:

I ask because from what you have said about your bike so far it sounds like the correct height would be if you are sat on your bike you should be on the very edge of your tippy toes when trying to reach the floor with both feet - I just spent today setting the height on my new bike with one foot on the kerb to keep balance. If you try to put your heel on the pedal when it’s at the lowest position and it won’t connect then you gone too high.

If I put the seat at 29" which is the "lemond value" which results in a full extension when placing my heel on the pedal at it's lowest position, and also results in the tippy toe thing, but I honestly find that to be quite awkward feeling. Right now at 28" I can get maybe the first 30% of my foot on the ground while on the seat. At 29" I feel unsure of myself if for example I'm starting up from a stopped position at an intersection. I will say using that height did not get rid of the numbness issue while riding.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 6, 2021

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
all the numbness you did experience was with an either level or upwards-pointing (:cry:) saddle though, wasn't it? in my quite extensive experience with bicycle crotch numbness, saddle angle is by far the biggest factor

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lex Neville posted:

all the numbness you did experience was with an either level or upwards-pointing (:cry:) saddle though, wasn't it? in my quite extensive experience with bicycle crotch numbness, saddle angle is by far the biggest factor

I don't think so, but I'll see what happens tomorrow! I was pretty good about making sure my previous saddle was flat

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

At 29" I feel unsure of myself if for example I'm starting up from a stopped position at an intersection. I will say using that height did not get rid of the numbness issue while riding.

Different frames have different heights (measured from the bottom bracket) off the ground. Some are not gonna be easy from which to plant your foot while still seated. That shouldn't factor into the fit. If needed, just come off the saddle at stops.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Different frames have different heights (measured from the bottom bracket) off the ground. Some are not gonna be easy from which to plant your foot while still seated. That shouldn't factor into the fit. If needed, just come off the saddle at stops.

I think my concern is less about stopping then starting up again, especially next to cars, and especially if I'm at a bit of an incline. I find pushing up that far while also trying to clip in at the same time a bit unnerving. I could try going halfway 28.5" though and see how it goes. My knee pain pretty much went away between 27 3/4 and 28".

Part of this is also that I keep trying to clip in closer to the front of my foot, for some reason. So it takes me longer than I should to connect often.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's techniques to launch from an off the saddle standing position into pedaling that give you a bit more momentum. Assuming you're clipped in with one foot, pedal on that foot and pedal unclipped on the other side if you need to build some speed, then clip in once you can coast a bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lex Neville posted:

yeah, that's nuts! really cool. how many of you were there, MrL_JaKiri? just the four of you?

Not sure - at least 20-30 (set off in waves of 6 every 10 minutes due to distancing rules that haven't been updated by the organising body), probably more. Not sure anyone other than us was doing the Hard Mode course though

Albinator posted:

Dear god no, they are absolutely delicious and I would kill for one right now. That pastry...

e: the pastry isn't shortcrust, it's a hot water crust.

FINE

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Excellent ride and excellent trip report

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

I think most people should use medium float cleats in a neutral position.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

a patagonian cavy posted:

today, I discovered why you grease the threads of your pedals before screwing the pedals in

You can also use anti seize paste. I use it for all kinds of threads which don't need loctite, stems & seatposts. I think grease disintegrates over time while the paste stays put better, and prevents corrosion between dissimilar metals.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

PolishPandaBear posted:

Do you keep a GPS in the mount on the lid?

If not you could try one of these GoPro friction flange style adapters:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/knog-p...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a friction flange to Garmin quarter turn adapter:

https://mybikeshop.com/products/gar...UoaAgFxEALw_wcB .

I have already though about those Garmin mounts but they go underneath the out front mount, they don't convert the quarter turn. I sucked it up and ordered the bar nubs from Routewerks so hopefully that is that.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Friday:

Saturday:

Couple of big days. Was a bit of a struggle with the heat but a good weekend out all the same.

Friday went pretty smoothly. Rolled through the first 100km in about 4h15 moving time with one break to buy snacks. Backed off the pace a little after that as it got warmer and we went through the valleys where it was 25C with no wind. Rolled into town about exactly when we had planned to.

Saturday was a struggle. My buddy has 4 punctures in the first 30km or so and we thought “this is going to be one of those days”. Turns out his brake had been rubbing on the sidewall and wore a hole in his tyre. We fixed it with some duct tape and it lasted the rest of the way.

All those stops meant were were pretty behind schedule and also meant we were unwilling to deviate from the route to find a cafe. That was a mistake.

There were a lot of climbs going through mid-wales. Some very steep pitches too, I saw 20+% way more than I wanted to, and it was really hot and humid.

We ended up doing almost all of the climbing before lunch, which was at about 90km. That wasn’t until 3pm, which was pretty demoralising as we had set off before 8. We all thought we would be getting in after 8pm at the pace we were going! We had also run out of water and most of our food about 10km before that town, so it was a bit of a slog (although I’m sure we could have found a farm for water in an emergency).

We managed to make up a decent amount of time after lunch though and got back about 1845. I drove back to my place and the takeaway turned up 2 minutes after I did!

Trip reminded me how much I love riding in wales. It’s beautiful and quiet and the roads are generally decent quality. I’d like to do some of those climbs again without luggage though!

I didn’t really take enough photos, here are the only 2:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
neat bikes, impressive distances and beautiful scenery. colour me jealous! sounds like an insanely good time

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Very cool. I should've made use of cycling in South Wales when I lived just across the Severn but never did.

Did my longest road ride in a year (a measly) 40k but its progress, felt mostly good so I'm happy. Relaxing my hips seems to be the key thing that keeps knee pain away.

Had two minor problems though:
Whilst the spurcycle bell sounds great the majority of cyclists here are 65+ ultra-tanned old Dutch people who don't seem to be able to hear the thing

My wahoo heart rate strap has given up any pretence of actually working so think I need to get a different one

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Friday:

Saturday:

Couple of big days. Was a bit of a struggle with the heat but a good weekend out all the same.

Friday went pretty smoothly. Rolled through the first 100km in about 4h15 moving time with one break to buy snacks. Backed off the pace a little after that as it got warmer and we went through the valleys where it was 25C with no wind. Rolled into town about exactly when we had planned to.

Saturday was a struggle. My buddy has 4 punctures in the first 30km or so and we thought “this is going to be one of those days”. Turns out his brake had been rubbing on the sidewall and wore a hole in his tyre. We fixed it with some duct tape and it lasted the rest of the way.

All those stops meant were were pretty behind schedule and also meant we were unwilling to deviate from the route to find a cafe. That was a mistake.

There were a lot of climbs going through mid-wales. Some very steep pitches too, I saw 20+% way more than I wanted to, and it was really hot and humid.

We ended up doing almost all of the climbing before lunch, which was at about 90km. That wasn’t until 3pm, which was pretty demoralising as we had set off before 8. We all thought we would be getting in after 8pm at the pace we were going! We had also run out of water and most of our food about 10km before that town, so it was a bit of a slog (although I’m sure we could have found a farm for water in an emergency).

We managed to make up a decent amount of time after lunch though and got back about 1845. I drove back to my place and the takeaway turned up 2 minutes after I did!

Trip reminded me how much I love riding in wales. It’s beautiful and quiet and the roads are generally decent quality. I’d like to do some of those climbs again without luggage though!

I didn’t really take enough photos, here are the only 2:

Excellent rides and excellent trip report.
I really want to do a cycling vacation through Wales some time.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
so that loaner wheel I got yesterday? turns out it starts screeching like crazy when I freewheel above 35 km/h. not a fun thing to find out when riding one of my hillier regular rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Got a heart rate monitor and gave it a shot today. Not sure how accurate it is but seems okay