Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody who reads the mail wants it to be a different century, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

incredibly anti-semitic of the conservative party

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.festival2022.uk/

was reading on the millenium dome all night and found out the gov is doing another festival next year with the same concept and it's still a go even after the pandemic.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Public engagement projects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of absolutely incredible UK journalism.

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1401314330239553536

I think you could improve basically any headline by appending "claims clairvoyant" to it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

OwlFancier posted:

I think you could improve basically any headline by appending "claims clairvoyant" to it.

pretty handy cover from libel claims too

"this crystal ball I bought from H Samuels showed me the parents murdered her" is a lot less actionable sounding than "the parents did it for fucks sake"

still not as good a cover as being rich white doctors with PR connections I guess but it's just a bit of libel, not murdering a kid

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The weather, not the Fine Traditions Of Etc, defeated the Armada.

I mean, it was both really, otherwise all the English ships would have been sunk in the storms too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, it was both really, otherwise all the English ships would have been sunk in the storms too.

Not really, they stopped chasing once they were at Scotland and turned back. They didn't have enough ammo to press home an attack and they just wanted to make sure the Spanish weren't going to suddenly sneak back to the Channel or attempt to seize a North Sea port, and once they were happy they weren't they all went back for prizes, medals and typhus (the other thing nobody mentions about the Armada is the undoubted winner of the engagement in terms of body count was typhus and other infectious diseases - at least 5,000 English soldiers died of typhus compared to around a hundred in actual combat)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DesperateDan posted:

pretty handy cover from libel claims too

"this crystal ball I bought from H Samuels showed me the parents murdered her" is a lot less actionable sounding than "the parents did it for fucks sake"

still not as good a cover as being rich white doctors with PR connections I guess but it's just a bit of libel, not murdering a kid

I mean, "the parents killed her" is definitely the funny edgy banter explanation but it doesn't really stack up. Neither the how or the why questions are easily answered, and if you'd killed your kid why would you ntentionally create an enormous international media circus for years?

They were definitely negligent idiots, but I don't think they actually killed her, or covered up an accidental death even.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sorry, loving Didsbury? :psyduck: With its M&S foodhall and artisanal cheese shop?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I guess they can't claim it about Whitechapel anymore now that half the Bengali population's been punted over to Bow by gentrification

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I feel like there is a glorious opportunity for a #nogoarea social media campaign here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Security footage of a mosque disguised as a church, they've been getting away with it in Didsbury for twelve years.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I'll always be grateful that I got hear her incredible self-own on radio live. A lifetime being subjected to my dad's in-car radio choices redeemed in one moment.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sorry, loving Didsbury? :psyduck: With its M&S foodhall and artisanal cheese shop?

Don't forget those multicultural hotbed "towns" of Edinburgh and Glasgow up in Scotland.

There's probably more English poshos in and around Edinburgh than Muslim.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kin posted:

Don't forget those multicultural hotbed "towns" of Edinburgh and Glasgow up in Scotland.

There's probably more English poshos in and around Edinburgh than Muslim.

Going by how often a muslim woman I know said she was verbally abused on the street there, definitely.

#nogoarea and all that

e: Speaking of daily mail this is top news apparently:

A) However shall he cope and B) how the gently caress do so many people read that tripe.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 6, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Edinburgh and Glasgow being included is baffling until you remember that the Scots are being wrapped into the culture war so bojo can secure his legacy by standing up to those wokist blm trans brutes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they're no go areas for the english, they will chase you down the road and call you a sassenach

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They don't even have the Church of England up there, the woke taliban turned them all into chippies.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Neither the how or the why questions are easily answered, and if you'd killed your kid why would you ntentionally create an enormous international media circus for years?
You're right that how she died is neither the key point, nor is it easily solved. Ultimately she's no longer there because the negligent idiots left her in a hotel room on her own. There are a million ways an unattended child can kill themselves, especially in an un-childproofed hotel room.

Hell she may not have died in the hotel room. She may have woken up, found her parents gone and wandered out to find them, and genuinely gone missing. A minimum wage worker might have found her in a cleaning cupboard full of bleach and panicked.

The point is once they came back and realised she was gone, the panic and the 'blame others so nobody knows we've been negligent' thing kicked into overdrive. And they were propped up by the guilt by proxy of every parent who's ever left their kids alone for five minutes, even for good reasons the McCann's didn't have.

I doubt they were the ones who sought out the PR company, I think at that point it had become such huge news I have no doubt that a very sympathetic-sounding and manipulative PR guy got their foot in the door and managed to weaponise their denial. From that point on it was just PR guys framing everything as salaciously as possible to get the TV appearances and column mentions rolling.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There are areas of Glasgow that you'd be afraid to go, but it's not because of the Muslims.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Come and post in The Ray Parlour Bruce Arena Jizz Hornkamp

How could you leave out The Yohan Kebab???

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One time before the Pandemic I was over in Glasgow having a burger in Bread Meats Bread. There were two very young/very trendy London types in the table next to me having lunch.
I could tell they were from London because they were talking about how much they missed London and hated having to be in Glasgow as part of "the tour." (From the context I think it was something to do with the theatre and their work.)
They then started talking about "Irn Bru" how awful it was, and why was it in all the cocktails in the bars?
Despite this being a very busy place, they were definitely speaking loudly enough to be easily overheard by all the patrons.

I'd say they were at risk of turning Glasgow into a No-Go area, but a different sort of No-Go area than the Daily Mail imagines.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

There are areas of Glasgow that you'd be afraid to go, but it's not because of the Muslims.

Is it the crunch boxes?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I doubt they were the ones who sought out the PR company, I think at that point it had become such huge news I have no doubt that a very sympathetic-sounding and manipulative PR guy got their foot in the door and managed to weaponise their denial. From that point on it was just PR guys framing everything as salaciously as possible to get the TV appearances and column mentions rolling.

didn't lord freud, accused post mortem by his wife of abuse and paedophilia, deal with the media for them in the first week?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-05/time-to-distinguish-between-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-says-tony-blair

quote:

Tony Blair: Former PM says the vaccinated should have no lockdown restrictions

tonty's off his shits again

quote:

Former prime minister Tony Blair says it makes "no sense at all to treat those who have had vaccination as the same as those who haven’t."

Tony Blair has said it is "time to distinguish" between people who have and haven't had a coronavirus vaccine.

The former Prime Minister said it makes “no sense at all to treat those who have had vaccination as the same as those who haven’t”.

Mr Blair was reacting to a report published by the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change which says “vaccine status matters” and champions the idea of health passes “to allow citizens to prove their status in a secure, privacy-preserving way”.

Proposing the health pass system be used both at home and abroad, the report said: “With this ability to securely prove vaccination status, we can move beyond blunt, catch-all tools and align with other countries by removing certain restrictions for the fully vaccinated, thereby enabling us to sustainably reopen the economy.”
Love to 'react' to a report produced by my own institute which I named after myself. Also the press deliberately conflating his opinion with the conclusions of the report.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

if you'd killed your kid why would you ntentionally create an enormous international media circus for years?
Sounds like a question for John and Patsy Ramsey.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yeah, people have been complaining about how Bradford is about to become majority Pakistani since at least 1983. How inefficient of these indolent foreigners that in nigh on 40 years they still haven't managed to get that last few percent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Edinburgh and Glasgow being included is baffling until you remember that the Scots are being wrapped into the culture war so bojo can secure his legacy by standing up to those wokist blm trans brutes

I assumed they meant Govanhill because of its large Muslim and Roma population. Its also Nicola Sturgeon's ward and where she got confronted by that Britain First psycho last month.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I assumed they meant Govanhill because of its large Muslim and Roma population. Its also Nicola Sturgeon's ward and where she got confronted by that Britain First psycho last month.

But Govanhill is lovely with the big park and everything, plus it's like 2/3rds white or something. :confused:

There's far worse places if you want to choose somewhere as a slum. Like say most of England for one, if that's your criteria IMHO.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Govanhill is pretty chill and safe because the majority of people don't drink. Worst places in Glasgow are where groups of middle aged white men congregate while drunk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's amazing that the second that Leicester became 49.9% white English the other ethnicities didn't all form a Voltron and replace the council with that palace from Aladdin, as predicted by the Sun.

It's not even on the list of foreign cities what they hid in Britaine these days.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Noted extremely white hipster no-go area Edinburgh..

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

100% not joking when I was considering taking a job in Glasgow a few years back I was actively looking at places to rent in Govanhill and not for any hipster grungy reasons or anything.

Real no-go zone that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what does Lisa Towns have to say about this

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that the second that Leicester became 49.9% white English the other ethnicities didn't all form a Voltron and replace the council with that palace from Aladdin, as predicted by the Sun.

It's not even on the list of foreign cities what they hid in Britaine these days.

They still don't have the mandate a 52 48 super majority would bring to ceceed and form the Sharia Republic of the center east midlands

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dick Dorkins at it again.
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1401275093251207173

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Private Speech posted:

100% not joking when I was considering taking a job in Glasgow a few years back I was actively looking at places to rent in Govanhill and not for any hipster grungy reasons or anything.

Real no-go zone that.

Govanhill has a weird rep (partly because there are more than a few proper slum landlords operating there, but mostly because most people think nothing of being racist about the Roma) that far, far outsizes what it's like. There's plenty of deprivation for sure, but people forget/ignore that a large chunk of that is the Western half (the other side of cathcart road) which I'm pretty sure is predominantly white. The Eastern half, which at one point (and possibly still is) was the most culturally diverse place in scotland, was where I lived for 18 months or so 7-8 years ago, and it was a very nice place to live. In the interim Vicky road now has *loads* more great brunch and eating places, and just generally has a bit of a hipstery vibe, but not oppressively so. People who chat poo poo about Govanhill (including many, many Glaswegians) don't know anything about it in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No-go zones probably have vastly better food