Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I know the Federation would never do it due to ethics yadda yadda, but surely there are species or individuals out there doing immortality and cloning with transporter technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Create a new, young-but-adult, blank-slate clone of yourself that has never been conscious in any way. Use the mind-swapper from 'Turnabout Intruder' to put your mind into its body. How het up would each of Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway get about the ethics?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Picard: you've prolonged your life, yes. But at the cost of your soul; you have condemned this man, this... innocent man to a short life and an early grave.

Clone: it's chill!

Picard: not only that, but you've genetically programmed them to accept that! What sort of monster--

Clone: don't knock it till y--

Picard: shut the gently caress up!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

HopperUK posted:

Modern Trek will never be good until they hire Jeffrey Combs. It's a geas.

I still want an episode with every character played by Jeffrey Combs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

I still want an episode with every character played by Jeffrey Combs

There is one!

We just don't know which...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

STD is like a million years in the future right? Have him come back as Wayoun 6000.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The last Wayoun was killed was he not

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

STD is like a million years in the future right? Have him come back as Wayoun 6000.

Pretty sure his template got lost during the war which is why Weyoun 8 was the last one via getting his chest vaporized.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last Weyoun was killed as far as Changeleader knows, but we know Weyoun was a bit more crafty and self preservational than the founders knew.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The novels had a good work around "He was the last alpha quadrant Wayoun."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, the clone facility on Cardassia Prime was rendered inoperable so they couldn't just print another one when Garak iced Weyoun 8, but presumably there's a store of every Vorta genetic template somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant, so they can just roll up another one back there, if they want.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, the clone facility on Cardassia Prime was rendered inoperable so they couldn't just print another one when Garak iced Weyoun 8, but presumably there's a store of every Vorta genetic template somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant, so they can just roll up another one back there, if they want.

Wherever a Weyoun appears, Worf will be there waiting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wherever a Weyoun appears, Worf will be there waiting.

It's a bit hosed up that Worf straight-up murdered Weyoun 7 like that but it's also quite funny so on balance I like it. Damar's reaction when 8 arrives all pissed off is one of my favourite DS9 moments. "Well helloooo!"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also I loved how they came up with the whole cloning thing just because they really wanted Jeffery Combs back as Weyoun after he got vaporized in season 4.

IIRC they decided that as his first dailies were coming in, but couldn’t change the script in time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

8one6 posted:

This is why 20 episodes a season was a good thing. It gave the creators time to do character stuff like that.

And frankly any argument about it leading to a lot of garbage episodes doesn't hold water because the modern 10 episode seasons aren't exactly 100% gold themselves.

It doesn't need 20 episodes, and disco wouldn't be improved with that, it would just have 8 more episodes of drawn out action about the end of all life If They Don't Stop It.

Like, love it or hate it, its undeniable the orville has managed all those little character moments, bits of growth, screen time, etc, with the same sort of modern ~12ish episode seasons. NuTrek is just trapped in this idea every second of screen time has to be regarding life shattering stakes, a set up for life shattering stakes, gigantic interpersonal drama bombshells, or a set up for some drama bombshell.

Its like the producers have it cranked up to 11 at all times, with tape over the nob saying "DO NOT ADJUST VOLUME".

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s really amazing how JJ ruined both Trek and Star Wars so quickly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tom Guycot posted:

It doesn't need 20 episodes, and disco wouldn't be improved with that, it would just have 8 more episodes of drawn out action about the end of all life If They Don't Stop It.

Like, love it or hate it, its undeniable the orville has managed all those little character moments, bits of growth, screen time, etc, with the same sort of modern ~12ish episode seasons. NuTrek is just trapped in this idea every second of screen time has to be regarding life shattering stakes, a set up for life shattering stakes, gigantic interpersonal drama bombshells, or a set up for some drama bombshell.

Its like the producers have it cranked up to 11 at all times, with tape over the nob saying "DO NOT ADJUST VOLUME".
and the greatest part is that the end of Disco S3 makes it seem like they are going to do one-off missions again, but nope, as soon as that S4 trailer dropped it was immediately about how there is once again some kind of major galactic threat.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Started DS9 S6 today. I love how aside from the Dominion attack ship controls/layout being a little weird, some of the technology is actually physically incompatible with humans

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

jeeves posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYT8YHL-R0

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

and the greatest part is that the end of Disco S3 makes it seem like they are going to do one-off missions again, but nope, as soon as that S4 trailer dropped it was immediately about how there is once again some kind of major galactic threat.

I was cautiously excited when they were like yeah we're going to be space truckers now and then the trailer happened.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I had to take a break from Disco for awhile. I want to like it so badly but just… :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY1pmWbytQ4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EXOCOMP

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

jeeves posted:

I think you forgot how stale classic Trek had gotten by the time of Nemesis and Enterprise. It badly needed a shot in the arm, it needed experimentation. And I truly loved Star Trek Beyond.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kurzon posted:

I think you forgot how stale classic Trek had gotten by the time of Nemesis and Enterprise. It badly needed a shot in the arm, it needed experimentation. And I truly loved Star Trek Beyond.

Stale had nothing to do with Nemesis being crap imo.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
At least JJ Abrams made the cast young so that the action scenes looked cool. Classic Trek tried to convince us that old men could be action heroes, and it was embarrassing at times.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Stale had nothing to do with Nemesis being crap imo.

It sure as poo poo didn't help any either...

Kurzon posted:

At least JJ Abrams made the cast young so that the action scenes looked cool. Classic Trek tried to convince us that old men could be action heroes, and it was embarrassing at times.

At the very least I had fun watching Trek 09 and Beyond, a cardinal sin according to most, but whatever. The old movies and TV shows aren't going anywhere and have not been magically erased by the Kelvinverse or NuTrek and I can watch them any time I like too. There's no saving grace about Into Darkness though, gently caress that movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

It sure as poo poo didn't help any either...
At the very least I had fun watching Trek 09 and Beyond, a cardinal sin according to most, but whatever. The old movies and TV shows aren't going anywhere and have not been magically erased by the Kelvinverse or NuTrek and I can watch them any time I like too. There's no saving grace about Into Darkness though, gently caress that movie.

No you don’t understand, The Kelvinverse ruined EVERYTHING and the old movies no longer exist!

ST09 is fun and Beyond (which JJ had basically nothing to do with other than producing anyway) is a legit good Trek film. ID is terrible of course, but you can lay most of the blame at Orci’s feet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kurzon posted:

What's experimental about literally retreading old ground but with the hip young cast that's been a Hollywood punchline for decades? It badly needed a shot of stereotypes and whitewashing somehow worse than a show made halfway through last century?? And it sure brought us a fresh wave of new content that's so much better than just letting things cool down for a while.

Here, I left some space for you to post that dumbfuck Onion article instead of having an original response.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Okay just a second. I love almost all Trek and I think I get what you're saying but to contend that JJTrek is worse for stereotyping than TOS is just silly. TOS was very progressive in some ways but it was so sexist it's hard to watch sometimes. Into Darkness is mediocre and sexist but it's no Turnabout Intruder. Like there are reasons to like or dislike literally any Trek property but to try to arrive at 'this is objectively good, unlike the Trek you like, which is objectively bad' is a fool's errand. People want different things. It's nice that we have so many different properties under the Trek umbrella so we can all enjoy. I have no desire to watch Picard but I'm not mad it exists. It's just not for me.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It took three movies for the reboot movies to introduce a named female character that wasn't shown in their underwear.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Angry Salami posted:

It took three movies for the reboot movies to introduce a named female character that wasn't shown in their underwear.

Yes, they really captured Gene's vision

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JJTrek could have been more fun if it wasn't a retread of existing characters and stories.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We open on a handful of characters we know well. Faces as familiar as any family member. Bones. Uhura. Sulu. Spock. And of course the roguish but consummately moral captain Kirk. What adventures we've enjoyed together! How we've come to know one another!

So let us close that chapter. Let us focus on some of those workaday Starfleet folk that are the flesh and blood of the Enterprise, and see what stories *they* have to tell us.

Welcome to Lower Decks: TOS.

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.
I do not get the love for ST:B. I can barely remember anything about that film except that they beat the swarm aliens with the Beastie boys?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

syense posted:

they beat the swarm aliens with the Beastie boys?

I can't stand it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did you two plan that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'ma set it straight this thread is great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I liked the part in STB when Idris Elba's crashed ship turned out to be an NX class I know it's fanservice but I was hootin and hollerin when that thing took off