Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m not sure about the games specifically, but Pokemon as an IP is literally the highest grossing media franchise in history.

I thought that was Fist of the North Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pokemon third versions absolutely exist for money but those sorts of enhanced rereleases used to be incredibly common and they seem to have stopped with the shift to DLC.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I understand how those Mario 64 likers felt when a wave of people were complaining about the controls on the release of 3D All-Stars when I read all of these Sunshine haters failing at what I thought were mundane challenges

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I would pay 79.99 for a wide screen version of the original pokemon Red and blue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bleck posted:

yeah yeah business and stuff

[my giant brain expands as i ascendn above the plebs] they sell a double pack for no reoasn. the third vers was a kindness to the gamers. the gym variations are to encourage social interaction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best part of Sword and Shield is that I'm irl friends with That Guy who hated them off the rip with Dexit but still pre-ordered both games for his collection

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The mega man battle network version differences seemed so perfunctory. And then the sequel series made it so there’s three versions of each game? gently caress off lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I understand how those Mario 64 likers felt when a wave of people were complaining about the controls on the release of 3D All-Stars when I read all of these Sunshine haters failing at what I thought were mundane challenges

My 3D Mario experience has been 3D World, Odyssey, 64, and now Sunshine. 3D and Odyssey have exceptionally perfect controls, especially Odyssey. In those games I don’t feel any challenge is hard because of the controls.

All of the challenge in 64 and now Sunshine is because my brain and/or hands cannot make sense of the controls. I know what I can do, and I know how it should work, but mastery of them eludes me. It’s very frustrating because I should enjoy these two games more than I do, but the controls stand firmly between me and maximum fun. So I will eternally resent and bitch about them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

The best part of Sword and Shield is that I'm irl friends with That Guy who hated them off the rip with Dexit but still pre-ordered both games for his collection

thats sucha good type of guy to be lmao

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Defenistrator posted:

I would pay 79.99 for a wide screen version of the original pokemon Red and blue.

here you go

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Libluini posted:

Am I the only one who liked Monster Rancher?

Monster Rancher was a cool concept but the game felt like it was designed by people who hated Pokemon, Digimon, Tamagochi, and whatever else existed at that point. Finally trained up a monster? Well better make a little progress before it dies on you due to being at the ancient age of 3-4 years old and you have to start over but maybe you made some progress and can actually use one of the actual good monsters that keep getting rank-locked. MR was a neat concept and I liked it but it's not surprising that the series died off (though I guess there's a mobile game now?).

Cartoon Man posted:

Or it’s because the Pokémon franchise as a whole is number 3 or 4 on the all time video game franchise sales chart behind Mario and Call of Duty probably.

Pokemon is the highest grossing IP in the world and by a considerable amount. You could combine CoD and Mario and they'd still only be a bit more than half of Pokemon's total revenue.

People don't realize just how ridiculously massive Pokemon is (again, due mainly to merchandise).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stux posted:

thats sucha good type of guy to be lmao

He brings joy to my heart

One of his investment strategies is buy limited edition nerd poo poo and then resell it when he overdrafts his accounts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Monster Rancher was a cool concept but the game felt like it was designed by people who hated Pokemon, Digimon, Tamagochi, and whatever else existed at that point. Finally trained up a monster? Well better make a little progress before it dies on you due to being at the ancient age of 3-4 years old and you have to start over but maybe you made some progress and can actually use one of the actual good monsters that keep getting rank-locked. MR was a neat concept and I liked it but it's not surprising that the series died off (though I guess there's a mobile game now?).
Pokemon is the highest grossing IP in the world and by a considerable amount. You could combine CoD and Mario and they'd still only be a bit more than half of Pokemon's total revenue.

People don't realize just how ridiculously massive Pokemon is (again, due mainly to merchandise).

MR got a Switch port like last year

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monster Rancher 1 and 2 are on Switch and mobile exclusively in Japan. They have a neat CD catalogue feature to get around the whole CD swapping gimmick.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I remember hoping for a TL of either 1 or 2 but logically, I knew the series wasn't getting another chance over here. Licensing issues be damned, the series has just never really figured out how to make itself approachable. Hence the chaos of the last few years of the series with the games making major changes like in 4 and EVO. The last game we actually got, DS 2, was pretty bad too.

Overall, I think the most fun I actually had with the series was MRA2. It was a good mix of Monster Rancher complexity with the harsher edges rubbed off. Even then, there were plenty of weird mechanics that felt pretty bad to deal with without a guide.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

My 3D Mario experience has been 3D World, Odyssey, 64, and now Sunshine. 3D and Odyssey have exceptionally perfect controls, especially Odyssey. In those games I don’t feel any challenge is hard because of the controls.

All of the challenge in 64 and now Sunshine is because my brain and/or hands cannot make sense of the controls. I know what I can do, and I know how it should work, but mastery of them eludes me. It’s very frustrating because I should enjoy these two games more than I do, but the controls stand firmly between me and maximum fun. So I will eternally resent and bitch about them.

That’s going to happen when you play the newest/more refined games first, that’s not a problem exclusive to 3D Mario games. If you had played 64 and Sunshine first there’s a reasonably good chance you wouldn’t have as many issues with the controls.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

That’s going to happen when you play the newest/more refined games first, that’s not a problem exclusive to 3D Mario games. If you had played 64 and Sunshine first there’s a reasonably good chance you wouldn’t have as many issues with the controls.

Eh I played Mario 64 a lot back in the day, like got 120 stars multiple times, and I still had problems adapting to it in the 3D All Stars collection.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't care about Dexit but I thought Sword and Shield were pretty bad honestly. The monster design and music were great but I didn't like the region, the characters, the 5 minutes of plot, or the wild area and raid mechanics, or even the gigantamax stuff.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

are you even a real Pokefan if you didn't read Nintendo Power articles on Japan's Pocket Monster phenomenon, planned your team before the cartoon landed stateside, hassled the clerk at KB Toys about Red/Blue's release date, and took your gray brick with you to the mall so you could play in the back of the suburban on the drive home?

anyways I stopped caring about halfway through Gold/Silver

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bees x1000 posted:

are you even a real Pokefan if you didn't read Nintendo Power articles on Japan's Pocket Monster phenomenon, planned your team before the cartoon landed stateside, hassled the clerk at KB Toys about Red/Blue's release date, and took your gray brick with you to the mall so you could play in the back of the suburban on the drive home?

anyways I stopped caring about halfway through Gold/Silver

The Pokemon Power mini issues NP did leading up to Pokemon was great for building hype. The Pokemon launch in America owned. I went to a place in Dallas where they had a Pokemon car with the game playable early. They also gave out free toys.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I bet this person has strong feelings about gramgrams precious moments figures

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Not even in proper RGB order. Atrocious.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't care about Dexit but I thought Sword and Shield were pretty bad honestly. The monster design and music were great but I didn't like the region, the characters, the 5 minutes of plot, or the wild area and raid mechanics, or even the gigantamax stuff.

agreed i hated all that fun stuff thatt owned. wish the game was bad instead :cheers:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

Not even in proper RGB order. Atrocious.

i bet they also think they've been playing pokemon games longer than they've been stateside

because that's super common

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hmm, I’ve almost finished all the Arland Atelier games. Do I go on to Dusk or Mysterious? :ohdear:

Dusk unless you desperately want to play a game without time limits.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So quick Picross S question. I'm working my way through S2 right now and is there any benefit to acing the puzzles? I keep moving too fast so half the puzzles end up with autocorrect on them. Do I miss anything for that or is it all bragging rights?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's just a bragging rights thing (although imho the only way to play Picross is No Assist). You get a little medal icon on each puzzle and the save file if you do them all, but afaik there's no hidden content behind it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No Assist is best, I just never bothered to turn it off. I was just worried about missing clip pieces.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Len posted:

Uhm... that looks kinda like a cool display to me....

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Len posted:

i would display this on my wall if i hadn't sold all my gameboy games to gamestop for like $20 back when i was 15

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How do you all feel about Precious Moments figurines?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Let he who is without amiibo cast the first stone.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Len posted:

How do you all feel about Precious Moments figurines?

I think they're all hideous, big-eyed freaks. Now let me show you my Funko Pop collection...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Len posted:

Why is the rating symbol different on red and blue?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pokémon green never came to the US. I’m questioning the veracity of this framed display

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Are there any good creepy games on the Nintendo Switch?

I feel Halloweeny.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Spacebump posted:

Why is the rating symbol different on red and blue?

ESRB logo was redesigned between 1999 and 2000 so different printing runs I imagine

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Not sure where this hatred of Precious Moments came from. They're not my thing but my sister in law used to buy them for my kid for his birthday. It's no worse than collecting Pops or Amiibo or anything else.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

Not sure where this hatred of Precious Moments came from. They're not my thing but my sister in law used to buy them for my kid for his birthday. It's no worse than collecting Pops or Amiibo or anything else.

It's a joke because nerds tend to think their gaudy relics of an old time but then think their Pop collection is cool and unique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Reminder that Umurangi Generation is out on Switch today, I can't recommend this game enough! It's so cool, smart, and unique. A photography game with strong mecha anime and jet set radio vibes, with a great soundtrack and the sharpest politics of any game I've ever played.

Caveat that I haven't played the switch port yet, but I'm gonna pick it up this weekend and see how it runs. The PC version was an awesome experience that ran under the radar and I'm happy to throw more money at the creators.

https://twitter.com/UmurangiGame/status/1393532000439439365?s=19

So I picked Umurangi Generation up on Switch yesterday, and it's a totally fine port, but I have mixed impressions. It's a good way to play the game imo but I'd rather play it on PC if you have the option.

Pros:
  • Everything's there and works fine, there's a little slowdown when the screen is busy but it's not a big deal since this isn't an action game.
  • Controls are great. I was worried about whether it would feel clunky to manage the photo editing sliders with a controller since there's ten or so once you unlock everything (contrast/saturation/etc) but it's really smooth to navigate.
  • Gyro controls are really awesome. They activate when you aim the camera and you can set them to rotate only or to fully look around like you're holding a camera irl. Or you can just turn them off.
  • Handheld mode runs just as well as docked.
  • No Switch tax: it's $25 and includes the base game and dlc, which are $15 and $10 on steam respectively (though they go on sale fairly often)
  • Music still slaps.

Cons:
  • The resolution took a noticeable hit in porting to Switch, same song and dance as a lot of ports, with some pop-in of small items and posters as well. I wouldn't say it's as bad as say, Witcher 3, but it's definitely noticeable. There's some behind the scenes trick where when you aim the camera, the resolution is MUCH better and the pop-in goes away, so stuff looks good when it matters, and the actual photos you take look great.
  • There's some slowdown I mentioned above, if the screen is really busy or there's a lot of detailed things like tons of chain link fences. Not nearly as big a deal as the resolution but worth pointing out.

So yeah. In summary, as a port it does a lot right, but the resolution hit is a bummer. It's hardly game ruining by any means, and seems par for the course for Switch ports at this point in its life. But it's something to be aware of. Gonna play some more!