Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

the spyder posted:

Spent $1200 on Rock Auto to fix all my hoopties.

$50 Forester - Gas cap (evap code) and trans/air/fuel filters

TBH I'd see if you can cancel that gas cap for the Foz and go get one from the dealer (or order an OEM one online). I've had so much trouble with evap codes with aftermarket gas caps, and Subarus in particular are picky. I think mine was only $20ish for Brokeback. Though if it's already shipped...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Flew to Seattle and got it from a friend.

Fixed it a few times.

Drove to some places

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Hypnolobster posted:

Flew to Seattle and got it from a friend.

Fixed it a few times.

Drove to some places

INSIGHT BUDS

Although I've never driven mine and I'm selling it as a project to a friend. Are you on Insight Central? I've amassed a lot of info and documents if you need anything.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dropped fuel tank, replaced the gasket that was bad (and the filler neck, which was fine, but eh, I was in there), pumped a bunch of gas out manually, got bit by red ants, filled it back up, drove it, it's all better now.

Definitely not a $650 job.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Sway bar links and bushings, and a transmission mount on the '05 LGT. After the motor popped in Feb 2020, which was AFTER I replaced all the shocks/struts and steering rack, I think this might finally have eliminated any sloppiness or noises from the suspension.

Had to cut the sway bar links off, even though they were new 3-4 years ago.

Probably the original trans mount. Rubber was real squishy, and it got rid of 90% of the slop in the driveling when up and down shifting. Next is probably rear differential bushings, maybe the driveshaft carrier bearing? Or maybe now I can stop throwing money at the car and just keep driving it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

How ... how did you do this? That looks so much better.

I know this is from a few pages back but lately I've been going between washes with a few wipedowns, and scrubbing with a ”reusable clay bar" and ceramic speed shine from Griots garage.

poo poo worked great on getting the 🌈 off my Subaru panels and the plastic looks new without looking or feeling oily.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I know this is from a few pages back but lately I've been going between washes with a few wipedowns, and scrubbing with a ”reusable clay bar" and ceramic speed shine from Griots garage.

poo poo worked great on getting the 🌈 off my Subaru panels and the plastic looks new without looking or feeling oily.
Good tip, thank you!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It took two days, but I got my MGW shifter installed in the Mustang. It was pretty miserable. You have to do almost everything from below the car, which means working around the driveshaft and exhaust while hugging the transmission. It's doable without removing the driveshaft or exhaust, but if I had to do it again I probably would pull them. There's one bolt way up top you can't even see that you have to do by feel that runs into the transmission tunnel as you unbolt it. To get clearance you have to remove the transmission crossmember and pull downwards on the driveshaft to lower the transmission just enough to work the bolt out. This part alone took a couple hours. On a lift it would probably be much easier, but on jack stands you just can't get the leverage you need. What ended up working was having my wife work the bolt while I basically hung all my weight off the front of the driveshaft and bounced it up and down.

Didn't take many pics as this was my view most of the time:

The shifter installed before putting the interior back together:

All buttoned up:

The shifter itself is super beefy and really well made. The factory shifter is body mounted and relies on several flex joints, this one has a single solid linkage and bolts to the transmission. Since the factory shifter was body mounted, under hard acceleration with everything moving, you'd often get locked out of third, or worse, hit first instead. Everything is rock solid now. I got their tamest shifter, height is barely lower than stock with maybe 30% throw reduction, but it's perfect for me.

Instead of pulling up on a collar for reverse it's a push down arrangement now. Takes a good amount of effort but it's not awful.

They sell an adapter to take up the space where the factory reverse collar would be if you want to reuse your factory knob, which I did since I like mine. I got a black adapter compared to the silver factory collar, I think it looks nice.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hit a milestone with Dave today. Only thing it really needs is the oil pump seal (got a new one and new RTV this time) and the rust repair.

Good chance I'll I have a road trip/convention to go to in Philly in August and I'm really, really stoked and it should give me the ambition to get the oil pump done before that.

Normal life feels like it's coming back and that makes me less sad.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I seem to only have gotten a snapchat of this, crosspost.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I put a southbend clutch sticker on my car today. That job kicked my rear end. Holy poo poo, I really do not like working on FWD cars.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Helped a friend do clutch slave and master on an 03 WRX. It was almost easy, until the stud on the bracket snapped. Now we get to pull the whole pedal assembly!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It’s my birthday, time do go off roading!

Rented it for the day and taking it up some trails in Sedona AZ.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

honda whisperer posted:

Helped a friend do clutch slave and master on an 03 WRX. It was almost easy, until the stud on the bracket snapped. Now we get to pull the whole pedal assembly!

Yeah, that sounds about right. Like how I twisted off the last bolt reinstalling the field tank and pump in my AE86 a few weeks ago. Thankfully, the stub spun through the captive but once I got a (right-angle, short bit) drill on it. It didn’t snap because it was rusty or anything - I just flat out overtorqued that poor M6 caveman-style.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

It’s my birthday, time do go off roading!

Rented it for the day and taking it up some trails in Sedona AZ.

Hell yeah, I did the same in Sedona. Such an absurd amount of fun.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It was amusing just blasting through trails on a dirty old ATV while people in brand new Jeeps and trucks inches along scared of damaging their $3000 rims.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

It was amusing just blasting through trails on a dirty old ATV while people in brand new Jeeps and trucks inches along scared of damaging their $3000 rims.

I was doing some beat rear end forest service roads and other backcountry UT roads today with UTVs. Best car to off-road is a rental, in this case an Explorer ST. This thing took a beating.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Replaced this failing thing with this:

as the clutch pedal in the Prado was no longer wanting to return itself after being pressed. You can see that rubber gasket/o-ring had been disintegrating for a bit, which then allowed for the metal portion to rub on the inside of the clutch master cylinder itself getting it stuck. New one is plastic, fits perfectly, took about 30 minutes because Land Cruiser. No more sticking clutch pedal.

Also replaced the battery in the 1989 Toyota ToyoAce we just got. It's a 1500 kg capacity cab over truck with a 10 foot bed and a dually rear end yet it has a factory-fit tiny tiny battery. I could have just replaced it with a full-size one but then I'd have to fabricate a battery tray since it needs that to actually stay attached to the truck. Thankfully Autozone has the exact size (and even post position) in stock, just had to get new terminal connections to move from pencil post (tiny) to normal post.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I have never fallen in love with a little cabover so much. That thing is perfect. I don't even like blue cars, but it actually looks amazing on this one.

honda whisperer posted:

Is that the bracket that has both studs captive on the back side with a bit of sheet metal between them?
Yea, that one is not particularly fun to get out...

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I started off yesterday by meeting up with the Philly86 group at far too early of an hour for a drive up to Reading.

The head of the group brought her drone and got this cool rear end shot:

Then I got home and put new headlight assemblies in my Ranger.

I had to wait until it got darker to get them properly aimed though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I plated some more stuff for my RX-7.

So very satisfying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's the summer offseason now, time to replace the quarter and door skin.

An entire door shell is $305 from Mazda Competition, but it is marked as 'heavy shipping' so I figured I'd try to just do the door skin for $162 since I'd need to gut the new door shell anyway. Right quarter panel is $345.
Best part is shipping for the door skin and quarter panel is $22.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BlackMK4 posted:

It's the summer offseason now, time to replace the quarter and door skin.

An entire door shell is $305 from Mazda Competition, but it is marked as 'heavy shipping' so I figured I'd try to just do the door skin for $162 since I'd need to gut the new door shell anyway. Right quarter panel is $345.
Best part is shipping for the door skin and quarter panel is $22.

I like how absolutely gutted that door is. I'm surprised it doesn't need a little something to support the center of it, even like a 1/4" rod. Does it bend out at speed due to lower pressure?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nah, it stays pretty firm at speed but it definitely bends in if you press your hand on it.

The dividing line for gutting a Miata door is the top section that bridges the front and rear of the shell. You can remove it to save another few pounds but the door no longer supports itself when opened, so I left it alone.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Is that the bracket that has both studs captive on the back side with a bit of sheet metal between them?
Yea, that one is not particularly fun to get out...

Probably. All I know is it's holding up a shaft that transfers the motion of the pedal over the other pedals and steering column.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Said goodbye. :smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

What's the context? I don't keep up with chat thread. Sucks either way. :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

STR posted:

aw gently caress. i hate to see that :cry:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Should have taken a picture or two of the process, but I used plastic weld epoxy on the bottom tabs of the center console in my ‘94 Blazer. Somehow both the rear ones were busted but the front ones were fine.

Then I washed it for the first time in like, a year? The roof was almost black in the low spots. It sits for long periods of time due to getting pretty crap fuel economy and being a general beast, so I ordered a $50 cover for it as well to avoid it getting TOO badly weatherbeaten.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

What's the context? I don't keep up with chat thread. Sucks either way. :(

Hit and run 3 weeks ago - 2 lanes turning, inside lane supposed to take inside lane, outer lane supposed to take middle lane. He took the outer lane, it was get hit or jump the curb and hit a concrete pillar head on. Insurance has been a massive pain in the rear end the whole way (tried to deny the claim initially, put in a complaint with TX Dept of Insurance, they then covered it, then used comps from loving Arkansas instead of local, etc... I wound up switching insurance companies over it). Even had a "manager" scream at me on the phone "FOR NOT READING THE loving REPORT WE SENT YOU" (they forgot to send it.. he, personally, never clicked send, calmed it down to 9 from 11 when I mentioned I never got it and he found it in his drafts folder, still a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I named him personally in the 2nd complaint to the state) when I was just asking why the comps were so low. TX Dept of Insurance is involved on multiple layers now.

Upper radiator support tweaked just enough to pop the radiator and AC condenser, fender, headlight, LF suspension, wheel also damaged. They wouldn't provide a rental (even though I pay for rental coverage), eventually just gave me the daily value x7 for a rental bc they couldn't find one for me for less than $100/day (I got one for a week with my corporate discount through Enterprise for $190/week + taxes, though the tags expired 6 months ago, and they haven't been able to find me another car yet).

Clusterfuck all the way around. I wound up slamming a junkyard radiator in it for a bit just so I had something to drive, but the head gaskets let go in typical Subaru fashion (thankfully externally), likely from me trying to chase the guy down after the hit and not knowing I'd lost anything resembling coolant.

Still don't have a check. Still can't get them to return a loving call or email. Their "customer service" says I need to speak to claims, then transfers me to a full voicemail. I was supposed to have money wired into my account the day Copart picked up the car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 11, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat man that's lovely. PM if there's anything this goon can do to help out. :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

Hit and run 3 weeks ago - 2 lanes turning, inside lane supposed to take inside lane, outer lane supposed to take middle lane. He took the outer lane, it was get hit or jump the curb and hit a concrete pillar head on. Insurance has been a massive pain in the rear end the whole way (tried to deny the claim initially, put in a complaint with TX Dept of Insurance, they then covered it, then used comps from loving Arkansas instead of local, etc... I wound up switching insurance companies over it). Even had a "manager" scream at me on the phone "FOR NOT READING THE loving REPORT WE SENT YOU" (they forgot to send it.. he, personally, never clicked send, calmed it down to 9 from 11 when I mentioned I never got it and he found it in his drafts folder, still a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I named him personally in the 2nd complaint to the state) when I was just asking why the comps were so low. TX Dept of Insurance is involved on multiple layers now.

Upper radiator support tweaked just enough to pop the radiator and AC condenser, fender, headlight, LF suspension, wheel also damaged. They wouldn't provide a rental (even though I pay for rental coverage), eventually just gave me the daily value x7 for a rental bc they couldn't find one for me for less than $100/day (I got one for a week with my corporate discount through Enterprise for $190/week + taxes, though the tags expired 6 months ago, and they haven't been able to find me another car yet).

Clusterfuck all the way around. I wound up slamming a junkyard radiator in it for a bit just so I had something to drive, but the head gaskets let go in typical Subaru fashion (thankfully externally), likely from me trying to chase the guy down after the hit and not knowing I'd lost anything resembling coolant.

Still don't have a check. Still can't get them to return a loving call or email. Their "customer service" says I need to speak to claims, then transfers me to a full voicemail. I was supposed to have money wired into my account the day Copart picked up the car.

Sounds like Loya or Texas State Low Cost, or some equally terrible company that basically has no claims dept to speak of and only pays subro demands

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Door skin is welded on, just need to seam seal it up. Should have the quarter off this weekend since it seems like the difficult part was the door area.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I got tired of constantly plugging and unplugging the power adapter for my dashcam in my new car, since the 12V socket is always hot. I also didn't like the cable dangling down from the windshield to the center console.

To solve these problems, I installed an adapter which gives me a USB port that piggybacks off the power going to the auto-dimming mirror. Now my dashcam is on switched power, and I don't have to deal with a dangling cable anymore.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sounds like Loya or Texas State Low Cost, or some equally terrible company that basically has no claims dept to speak of and only pays subro demands

Clearcover. They sent an email last night asking me how I'd rate them to friends.. gave them a big fat 0 and a long winded rant as to why. Had a phone call around noon asking for my bank info so they can do an ACH deposit. So hopefully I'll finally be paid Monday or Tuesday. Getting another $150 on top to cover the rental for a bit longer.

I'm way too familiar with Loya - they started in my home town. In fact, their corporate office is a block from my old house (and has been as long as I've been alive). LOTS of their customers liked to hit the vans my parents owned for their company (when people bothered to carry insurance out there).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 12, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

Clearcover. They sent an email last night asking me how I'd rate them to friends.. gave them a big fat 0 and a long winded rant as to why. Had a phone call around noon asking for my bank info so they can do an ACH deposit. So hopefully I'll finally be paid Monday or Tuesday. Getting another $150 on top to cover the rental for a bit longer.

I'm way too familiar with Loya - they started in my home town. In fact, their corporate office is a block from my old house (and has been as long as I've been alive). LOTS of their customers liked to hit the vans my parents owned for their company (when people bothered to carry insurance out there).

God speed with the insurance. I've never had what I would consider a positive experience any time I've had to deal with any of them but your experience seems extra lovely.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

STR posted:

Aww man, that's sad :(

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Goondolences on your ride, STR.

I've heard of Loya, too, but I figured it was just another discount insurer that was worse than Geico, Progressive, etc.

Godzilla07 posted:

I got tired of constantly plugging and unplugging the power adapter for my dashcam in my new car, since the 12V socket is always hot. I also didn't like the cable dangling down from the windshield to the center console.

To solve these problems, I installed an adapter which gives me a USB port that piggybacks off the power going to the auto-dimming mirror. Now my dashcam is on switched power, and I don't have to deal with a dangling cable anymore.

That reminds me to order a new OBD-II cable for my dashcam, as that's the only way aside from a direct battery connection that I can run it from always-on power and make the borderline-useless motion detection work.

Normally, the 12v cord would be tucked nice and neat under the headliner and dash trim. Can't be arsed to do that again :effort: so I'm living with Dangling Cable Syndrome.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I decided that I jump my own cars enough that I should just put an Anderson connector on the Sierra. GM did a great job on the power distribution for this truck that I could connect the 1ga cable right to a covered lug, and I made a ground close to that on a support bar.

Routed behind the grille that has big enough gaps I can reach in and grab it.

Tucked away for future use!

It really did feel like a necessity since I always had a hard time getting clamps on the battery that far back.

Edit:glad to see my work boots made it in the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got the quarter fully off other than the top section that runs on the trunk rail. I'm feeling pretty cautiously optimistic at this point.

This is the structure that the wing mounts to. I think I'm going to reinforce it slightly. This part on the other side of the car got tweaked real good, but the quarter isn't all dented so I'm leaving it alone.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2021