Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like the mixed poses.

Does anyone else get antsy with line infantry-era models about whether they should be marching or firing?

Nah, I just try not to mix them too much in the same battalion. But sometimes you're stuck with marching minis in the back row, firing minis in the front row. Not perfect, but what do you do?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Firing poses for 15 mm and up, strictly line poses for 15 mm and down. 15 mm discretional depending on the sculpts.

Infantry spent most of their time marching in combat anyway :grin:
I played loads of Lasalle and it's definitely the best compromise between game and sim for Napoleonic battalion level warfare I've played. I recommend it to everyone

I think the best review I can give Lasalle is that when I played it I had not read any of the rules, I just acted based on my knowledge of Napoleonic era tactics and the other player led me through the rules. And it played out pretty much as I expected. That's the kind of ruleset I like, where you don't get rewarded by knowing the quirks of the rules but by using sound tactics.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally found a good method for turning 28mm models into 6mm strips. I had no problem using Blender to put some models on a strip, but making them actually look good at that scale was an issue. For instance, these Carthaginian spearmen from 3dbreed.es, the spears are decently thick at 28mm, but at 6mm they're just like the width of a hair (on the left). BUT, I finally found a good workflow for beefing everything up, and I'm super happy with the results (on the right).

For comparison, a close up of a French infantry (I think) that I got from Irregular Miniatures. I... I think I took a picture of the front. Buying 6mm is such a crapshoot, but now I can tweak to my heart's content :D

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If I was shown this image and asked to guess what it was I'd probably have gone with "a hedgerow".

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah not to take anything anything away from your scaling accomplishment (because god knows I couldn't rescale 3dBreed's models down to 12mm without them looking incredibly hosed up) but I think those are especially bad 6mm examples. I can recall being intimidated by the amount of detail on the Baccus and GHQ infantry when I first got them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Does anyone know much about how ancient/medieval shields might have been treated/maintained?

Looking at transfers and common mini paint jobs, nearly all of them seem to add stuff like cut marks, worn out colors and so on. The Roman transfers Victrix sells all have a layer of grime caked on the bottom, I guess from marching and so on.

Am I wrong that this seems...wrong? I guess if you're on the march for ages maybe it's inevitable things will get dirty, but I feel like especially before a battle, a lot of soldiers are going to want to look at least a little bit cleaner, if they get the opportunity anyway? And how much wear would a normal shield even see? I'm not really basing this off an actual understanding of anything, but I feel like most people weren't actually fighting to the point that their shields would be this heavily damaged.
There's some of the same kind of wear in e.g. Rome 2 Total War too:

How many dings like the big dents on the nearest dude's helmet could you even take before getting put out of action?

Am I off base for wanting to paint my dudes cleaner and less battered?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can paint them however you want, but if the local re-enactors are anything to go by your shield gets dinged up pretty quickly and you just get a new one instead of wasting time trying to fix it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've been thinking a lot lately about campaign systems and ways to give wargaming battles more context. Looking through my collection of campaign rules that I've gathered I've noticed they tend to fall into two categories: ultra-detailed campaign systems that are almost a wargame of their own on top of the tabletop wargame, and minimalist systems that are really just a way to string together a handful of battles.

What I haven't seen a lot of is more of a middle-ground where there are some interesting choices to make (but doesn't get bogged down in too much fiddly paperwork) and a reasonable campaign length.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask the thread:

1) What campaign systems have you tried and liked?

2) If you were going to participate in a wargaming campaign what would be the most important aspects to you? (Overall length of the campaign, decision-making, amount of detail, etc.)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Finally found a good method for turning 28mm models into 6mm strips. I had no problem using Blender to put some models on a strip, but making them actually look good at that scale was an issue. For instance, these Carthaginian spearmen from 3dbreed.es, the spears are decently thick at 28mm, but at 6mm they're just like the width of a hair (on the left). BUT, I finally found a good workflow for beefing everything up, and I'm super happy with the results (on the right).

For comparison, a close up of a French infantry (I think) that I got from Irregular Miniatures. I... I think I took a picture of the front. Buying 6mm is such a crapshoot, but now I can tweak to my heart's content :D

Irregular miniatures is aptly named

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Class Warcraft posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately about campaign systems and ways to give wargaming battles more context. Looking through my collection of campaign rules that I've gathered I've noticed they tend to fall into two categories: ultra-detailed campaign systems that are almost a wargame of their own on top of the tabletop wargame, and minimalist systems that are really just a way to string together a handful of battles.

What I haven't seen a lot of is more of a middle-ground where there are some interesting choices to make (but doesn't get bogged down in too much fiddly paperwork) and a reasonable campaign length.

2) If you were going to participate in a wargaming campaign what would be the most important aspects to you? (Overall length of the campaign, decision-making, amount of detail, etc.)

Scharnhorst is really good, if maybe more thin than you want - it's very light but a great tool for setting up battles

http://newconverj.blogspot.com/2017/04/scharnhorst-campaign-and-blucher-game.html

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just had my first in-person game in more than a year, with me and my gf playing free french and kiwis vs two platoons of fallschirmjäger at the LGS, themed for Italy. Everyone was vaccinated and it was so fun.

The d-day dodgers won their holiday with pay :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Class Warcraft posted:

While not technically campaigns, I suppose, I do very much enjoy the Historical modules for ASL as they generally give a good balance between going for your objectives and saving your men for future scenario dates.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

After doing two campaigns the last years (Chain of Command and Sharp Practice 2), my main takeway is: you always plan the campaign to be too long. Way too long. That's the #1 campaign killer.

The campaign that was the most fun was using At the Sharp End for Sharp Practice, and using a referee. And the point that was the best was not the rules themselves, but the referee. Having a third party that keeps track of all forces so that you have no idea where the enemy is makes for a completely different experience. Suddenly you need to scout! Suddenly you want to use small screening forces to hold of an eventual enemy! You need to hedge your bets, guess what the other players are up to, and take chances. It's hilarious and I can't recommended it strongly enough.

Fog of war. That's something you can't do properly on the table, but you can do in campaigns.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I've painted and rigged a ship! Now to finish the rest after I unstuck my fingers...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Those are some good lookin' ships. Are they from Black Seas?

As for the campaign question I've used a few Skirmish Campaigns books, which are great but also very specific in both terrain and force composition. For a more generalist system I like Platoon Forward! as it does almost everything you need by randomly generating opposing force, terrain, and missions. It's set for WWII but could easily be reskinned as need and I think the author even has a Cold War variant I haven't looked at yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

I've only tried the BattleTech Chaos Campaign systems. They work pretty well abstracting a lot of the minutiae of mech repair etc into just "warchest" with the implication being that you can trade bonus parts and loot for labour or vice versa. It worked particularly well when the campaign allows for both sides to use the same system so you're never quite sure what you will see on the field.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

Those are some good lookin' ships. Are they from Black Seas?

Thanks! Yeah, they're from the starter set, but I also have a pile of 1st and 3rd rates I picked up that haven't been assembled yet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Some people here are getting into Bolt Action, so I'm reading through the rules.

The Panther and the IS-2 fire the same HE shell.

Excuse me, what?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And PzIV, M4, T-34, and Cromwell are basically identical in the rules.

But other than that, Wehraboo bias exists in BA, yeah

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Some people here are getting into Bolt Action, so I'm reading through the rules.

The Panther and the IS-2 fire the same HE shell.

Excuse me, what?

3.6 kg of explosives, 0.6 kg of explosives, what's the difference?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bolt Action does many things, but carefully and objectively recreate WW2 tactical warfare is not one of those. If you react on the stats for guns, be prepared for when you see what they did to LMGs....

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tanks are not BA’s strong suit. In fact sometimes the best move you can make is to not take any tanks at all and just go hog wild with infantry.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*laughs in ASL*

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*laughs in ASL*

As a Lardies player, it's really funny how Chain of Command is made to faithfully recreate tense WW2 tactics, while Sharp Practice is made to faithfully recreate tense Napoleonics tactics as depicted by two boys playing with their Airfix figures on their bedroom floor, going *pew pew pew!* as victory hangs in the balance with both armies' generals in a sabre duel at the top of a bell tower over the hand of the mayor's daughter.

I think Bolt Action has more in common with Sharp Practice in that way.

E: with this post I don't mean it as a negative thing, sometimes you want the faithful recreation, sometimes you want to just go *pew pew pew* and have fun. After all, I like both CoC and SP2.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 6, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

That's a surprisingly common thing in WWII rules.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lilljonas posted:

As a Lardies player, it's really funny how Chain of Command is made to faithfully recreate tense WW2 tactics, while Sharp Practice is made to faithfully recreate tense Napoleonics tactics as depicted by two boys playing with their Airfix figures on their bedroom floor, going *pew pew pew!* as victory hangs in the balance with both armies' generals in a sabre duel at the top of a bell tower over the hand of the mayor's daughter.

I think Bolt Action has more in common with Sharp Practice in that way.

E: with this post I don't mean it as a negative thing, sometimes you want the faithful recreation, sometimes you want to just go *pew pew pew* and have fun. After all, I like both CoC and SP2.

For any faults Bolt Action might have, its definitely more accessible than the 3,000 odd players of ASL around the world

May not be an accurate count of the total number of living ASL players

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JcDent posted:

But other than that, Wehraboo bias exists in BA, yeah

I don't really have a problem with that, honestly. I can appreciate that they are deliberately keeping the stats on tanks granular and standardized - I.e, every medium tank having the same armor value across the board.

But the IS-2 one threw me. Also that the IS-2 has worse AT than the Panther, despite the IS-2's AP round being almost superfluous because they blew chunks out of even Tiger IIs and set them on fire using just their HE round.

I don't have a problem with the Panther being extremely good at AT and being rated as a "superheavy AT gun", but also getting the matching 3" HE values is silly. They even have multiple tanks that modify their HE up or down, so it isn't as if the precedent wasn't there.

"IS-2 is bad" is a distressingly common trope in almost all WW2 historicals. Why does nobody love my beautiful baby boy. :smith:

Other than that, played my first game of BA today, also first post-Covid game at my FLGS, and it was... really good? I liked the activation system, I like how a full game took less than two hours, and it was overall just a good time.

I also like how the rules are refreshingly free of Soviet Asiatic Hordes. Any Soviet unit can run the whole gamut of experience from green to veteran just like anybody else, and every German unit isn't automatically rated as a übermensch ultra-veteran. The only whiff of Asiatic Hordes in there is that the Soviet national bonus is getting a free Green infantry squad, which seems... fine, honestly? Way better than FOW giving every Soviet unit hot garbage for stats, anyway.

e: Shermans having a "catches fire easily" special rule is the other thing I hated

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If anyone wants to print all their figures from now on, March to Hell is doing another WW2 kickstarter for late war western front stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-ww2-europe-in-flames

Depressingly, they seem to be calling the Bulge "winter war", which got my hopes up :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lilljonas posted:

Are you trying to tell me that a game built around the exploits of Richard Sharpe, real life historical arch nemesis of Napoleon, is not realistic?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If the IS-2 was realistic, there would be no reason to ever play a tank other than the IS-2 :ussr:

A part of the reason is that the tank is relatively poorly studied in the West and even the recent MHV video where he talked to an expert from some German museum was full of basic mistakes like getting the engine power wrong.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

If anyone wants to print all their figures from now on, March to Hell is doing another WW2 kickstarter for late war western front stuff.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-ww2-europe-in-flames

Depressingly, they seem to be calling the Bulge "winter war", which got my hopes up :smith:

Backed. I was already eyeing some victrix 12mm infantry but this whole pledge is almost as much as one bag of those.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The 6mm-18mm Napoleonics Kickstarter is doing well in hitting stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ageofadmirals/europe-asunder-3d-printable-6-10mm-napoleonic-stl-files

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone back his ACW one? His vague 'cavalry sometime later' keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Edit: Looking at it I guess he's using the stretch goal to mean a future campaign involving cavalry. Ehhh.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 6, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

spectralent posted:

Hah, I just logged on to post this. I don't have a 3d printer but am thinking of backing anyways because Battlefront 1/100 scale M8s are too bloody expensive.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
with six hours left, the 'winter war' stuff isn't going to be reached, unless a lot of folks dump in right now.

That said, I'd gladly pay the same amount for a bunch of Germans, soviets and winter war terrain again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's 29 days left, I think you're looking at the early bird.

They're probably going to meet a lot of goals.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh hell yes. Thanks for spotting!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

spectralent posted:

OK, what't he difference between this and the previous WW2 one?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*laughs in ASL*

The idea of ASL as an accurate simulation of anything but ASL is a bit silly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

This is more late-war, with a focus on Overlord, Market Garden, and Battle of the Bulge. (Ie: Winter uniforms.)

Winter Red Army is also included, so we might see some Stalingrad-focused pieces. Underdressed Nazis fighting in rags and blankets would be a fantastic addition; For some reason, nobody seems to make freezing Germans in tatters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JcDent posted:

This one has regular US Army and paratrooper minis, the last one just had marines. Not sure what the differences between the German and British armies in the new one vs the previous one are. Different sculpts?

The stretch goals have all the winter uniform stuff for the major powers, and there's no overlap between this and the last kickstarter there.