Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fruits of the sea posted:

Recommendations for something chill and happy? Bonus points if it works well with a controller. Just want something to relax with in the evenings.

Not controller friendly that I know of but Factory Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks all, the first suggestion was a hit.

Play posted:

Stonefly

Very chill and so so pretty! I only played for like half an hour but being "safe" while airborne but unable to use some abilities is a neat way of letting the player control the pace and challenge. Only negative is it seems like they blew the budget on music and art, there's not much in the way of sound effects.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Thanks all, the first suggestion was a hit.
Very chill and so so pretty! I only played for like half an hour but being "safe" while airborne but unable to use some abilities is a neat way of letting the player control the pace and challenge. Only negative is it seems like they blew the budget on music and art, there's not much in the way of sound effects.

Yeah I have a soft spot for great art in a game. To the point that even if the game itself has drawbacks or isn't even that good I can still enjoy playing it just for that.

True there's not as much content as you might hope, no voices and the audio is incredibly weak as you noticed. Regardless, just a good rear end feeling to pilot that little thing through the scenery and I usually turn this game on later at night when I'm relaxing and will go to bed soon. Even the Alpha Aphid mineral runs are very low stakes and chill despite the music trying to pump you up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whats the best poker game on Steam?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Does anyone know of a game like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II's Last Stand mode? That poo poo ruled and 10+ years later I've never seen anything else like it.

Specific things that were rad about Last Stand:
  • Co-op
  • Horde mode
  • RTS-like interface
  • No base building
  • No resource management
  • No army management
  • Essentially nothing else about the RTS genre but the interface
  • Meta progression / unlocks / leveling up
Thanks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Recommendations for something chill and happy? Bonus points if it works well with a controller. Just want something to relax with in the evenings.

A short hike if you want a few hours
DQ11 if you want 60+
Paper Mario if you have a switch

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

While it may not scratch the happy itch, I'll recommend theHunter: Call of the Wild as an incredibly chill game. You stroll around gorgeous forests, stopping here and there to shoot a deer or rabbit or whatever. It's simultaneously chill and tense. Tense because you do need to move deliberately to avoid spooking animals, and because accurate shooting is very important for clean kills; but it's also hella chill because there are basically zero stakes and no fail state. You shoot something, and either you kill it, wound it, or miss. No game over, no ALERT INCOMING MORTARS... It gives you the fun and powerful feeling of sniping in Arma/Far Cry/Stalker/etc., but you can also be totally relaxed 99% of the time because there's nobody shooting back at you. The only threat in the game is a large predator attacking you, and that has happened to me once in 40 hours, as bears and stuff prefer to run away from you and only seem to attack if you shoot at them from very close range. And if you do somehow die, you just respawn at an outpost with nothing lost except some pride.

So yeah, it's a great shooter if you have old, lovely reflexes and are just tired as gently caress all the time *raises hand*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nachos posted:

A short hike if you want a few hours
DQ11 if you want 60+
Paper Mario if you have a switch

I feel like Paper Mario Origami misses the mark a fair amount, but that may just be me being sad at how I can really feel it be smothered by Nintendo's restrictions. I think the enemy encounters are a bit too frantic and thinky to really chill out with at least.

But either way, if you got a Switch, New Pokemon Snap is right there and way more chill.

I'd also like to recommend Thomas Was Alone and Punch Club.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

WTFBEES posted:

Does anyone know of a game like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II's Last Stand mode? That poo poo ruled and 10+ years later I've never seen anything else like it.

• Co-op
  • Horde mode
  • RTS-like interface
  • No base building
  • No resource management
  • No army management
Thanks.

Starcraft 2 Coop does have base builing / res management, but streamlined, but it ticks all other boxes. It's free to try, so why not. It's also really good imo.
Otherwise I think this niche has been taken by DOTA-likes and autochess and such.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WTFBEES posted:

• Co-op
  • Horde mode
  • RTS-like interface
  • No base building
  • No resource management
  • No army management
Thanks.
Isn't that basically the whole hack'n'slash action-RPG subgenre? Y'know, Diablo and stuff?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I recently got the bright idea to install some of those GPS games on my phone, only to realize that I don't actually go outside enough to make it worthwhile. Can someone suggest some games that invert the formula and let me explore the world from home? Obviously PC games are on the table, but if there's a mobile game (immobile game?) that does it, I'm interested. e: to be clear, I don't mean games like Flight Simulator, which is very low detail, or ETS2, which is an amusement park version of Earth. I mean something where I can actually look at local landmarks wherever I virtually wind up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Geoguessr!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I recently got the bright idea to install some of those GPS games on my phone, only to realize that I don't actually go outside enough to make it worthwhile. Can someone suggest some games that invert the formula and let me explore the world from home? Obviously PC games are on the table, but if there's a mobile game (immobile game?) that does it, I'm interested. e: to be clear, I don't mean games like Flight Simulator, which is very low detail, or ETS2, which is an amusement park version of Earth. I mean something where I can actually look at local landmarks wherever I virtually wind up.

https://www.geoguessr.com/ maybe?

e: dammit

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Is there a good solo and interesting solo auto chess on PC ?
I feel like there is potential in this formula, but I don't find Teamfight Tactics / Dota Underlords interesting enough and I'd like to play solo as my play rythm is very erratic through the day.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915310/SNKRX/ is fun but too bullethell-y for my tastes

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Loddfafnir posted:

I feel like there is potential in this formula, but I don't find Teamfight Tactics / Dota Underlords interesting enough and I'd like to play solo as my play rythm is very erratic through the day.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915310/SNKRX/ is fun but too bullethell-y for my tastes

I don't see how you could play auto chess solo. You're competing and the core of the game is responding to the competition. Hearthstone has an auto chess but it's not solo. It's free though.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Stardew Valley for sure -- it works super well w/ controllers

Loddfafnir posted:

Despot's Game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfyIKoPUIA

Unsure if it is good, but it matches the genre/singleplayer requirement.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't that basically the whole hack'n'slash action-RPG subgenre? Y'know, Diablo and stuff?

Huh, it's at least pretty close. Maybe that explains the hundreds of hours I spend on Path of Exile every couple months.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I actually liked SNKRX except it's too easy I beat the game on my very first go which seems very silly

I'm not actually sure what Auto Chess really is but for auto battlers, Loop Hero is basically one of those. Didn't love Despot's Game but it's alright I guess

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
It's more the overall structure of the game I'm interested in, with a limited number of pieces you can obtain and upgrade, and set bonuses.
I think SNKRX nailed this part pretty well, but I'm not a fan of the gameplay part in itself.

Despot's Game might work, thanks.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Loddfafnir posted:

It's more the overall structure of the game I'm interested in, with a limited number of pieces you can obtain and upgrade, and set bonuses.
I think SNKRX nailed this part pretty well, but I'm not a fan of the gameplay part in itself.

Despot's Game might work, thanks.

Vivid Knight is kind of like that too. You choose your fighters and get chances to upgrade them and get set bonuses, and you also do the exploring (but just by clicking in one of the available directions to move to the next room), but your guys do all the fighting for you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Stardew Valley.

Maybe My Time At Portia.

Little wood.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

whats the best poker game on Steam?

All the Steam ones I've tried suck, but if you're looking to play online with friends https://www.pokernow.club/ works really well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been playing Fallout 4 again and again all I care about is settlement building.

I'm looking for a game where you manage a compound or small town. I want to manage the people inside, their roles and appearance, and build a fort against zombies or robots or whatever.
Preferably I'd control my own character, instead of it being a god-game. I don't really want to go adventuring, I'd rather send out parties and decorate while they are risking their lives, haha.

I'm about to try out State of Decay, even though it's an older game. I hear it's close to what I want.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I've been playing Fallout 4 again and again all I care about is settlement building.

I'm looking for a game where you manage a compound or small town. I want to manage the people inside, their roles and appearance, and build a fort against zombies or robots or whatever.
Preferably I'd control my own character, instead of it being a god-game. I don't really want to go adventuring, I'd rather send out parties and decorate while they are risking their lives, haha.

I'm about to try out State of Decay, even though it's an older game. I hear it's close to what I want.

State of Decay is pretty close and is a great game in its own right. There isn't much control over interior decoration, but you do build bases and maintain them through supply outposts and scavenging.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Kenshi is PERFECT for you

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kvlt! posted:

Kenshi is PERFECT for you

I tried getting in to Kenshi. I understand there is a good game in there but it feels like I have to watch 6 hours of tutorials just to understand the basics.
Plus it is an rear end-ugly game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i put like ~20 hours into Kenshi and got far enough in to understand how it works and what succeeding and thriving in-game looks like and honestly, it's not a good game. it's technically impressive in terms of the way it manages a huge dynamic world in real-time but then the actual gameplay is like a bargain-bin 1990s RTS game, except you never progress beyond being able to recruit the most basic melee and ranged unit, respectively

like yeah you can be a robot man or a bug man or whatever but the only difference is that robots are a pain in the rear end to heal and your stat progression is slightly different

you can recruit dudes and build a base but you're going to be doing it through an interface that makes Dwarf Fortress look user-friendly and your reward is that now your dudes can auto-attack stuff and win instead of auto-attacking stuff and dying

it's a game with a bunch of bullet points about all the different things you can do and literally none of those things are interesting or rewarding in any way beyond being able to say that you did them

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 6, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That makes a lot of sense. Like Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13, reading about scenarios in those games is much more fun than playing them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Inzombiac posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Like Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13, reading about scenarios in those games is much more fun than playing them.

It's significantly worse than either of those. Like imagine if Dwarf Fortress had a tiny fraction of the verbs / ways to interact with the world, you could only place prefab structures instead of being able to build whatever you want in three dimensions, and that to even earn the right to play fortress mode you had to gently caress around doing menial tasks in adventure mode for a few hours first.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 6, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good lord, screw that noise.

State of Decay is kinda cool so far. It's fairly rough but the core seems solid. Certainly not what I'm looking for but it'll do for now.

I've looked and looked and I don't think there is a game out there that is precisely what I want.
If I want the management elements, I gotta go for something like RimWorld.
If I want the first/third person faction-feel, SOD and Fallout 4 are pretty good.

There's nothing that blends them together. I thought Conan Exiles was going to be that but to get a big compound going you need other real players.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Have you tried heavily modding fallout 4?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Have you tried heavily modding fallout 4?

Oh yeah and it's as close as I think I'm going to get. Being able to freely decorate and place structures is unlike basically any other game.
It just sucks that invasions only happen under certain circumstances, while you're away and only if you defense score is low enough.

I want fights to break out while I'm there, I want NPCs to defend the compound and then scavenge the corpses.
Go out my pretties and bring me back more leather for this couch I want to make!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i put like ~20 hours into Kenshi and got far enough in to understand how it works and what succeeding and thriving in-game looks like and honestly, it's not a good game. it's technically impressive in terms of the way it manages a huge dynamic world in real-time but then the actual gameplay is like a bargain-bin 1990s RTS game, except you never progress beyond being able to recruit the most basic melee and ranged unit, respectively

like yeah you can be a robot man or a bug man or whatever but the only difference is that robots are a pain in the rear end to heal and your stat progression is slightly different

you can recruit dudes and build a base but you're going to be doing it through an interface that makes Dwarf Fortress look user-friendly and your reward is that now your dudes can auto-attack stuff and win instead of auto-attacking stuff and dying

it's a game with a bunch of bullet points about all the different things you can do and literally none of those things are interesting or rewarding in any way beyond being able to say that you did them

yeah I want to like Kenshi a lot more than I do, it ended up having that oddly specific problem of every mechanic being something you just do because it's there and the reward is just... engaging with the same mechanic more. Like No Man's Sky but instead of being a pleasant, pretty and chill game it's ugly and painful to play

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

I hope the game you're looking for exists. I've looked for it too. The settlement part of FO4 but with more polish. A first-person RimWorld. It seems like it would be out there but from what I can tell it just doesn't exist.

State of Decay is a lot of fun but you might be disappointed with the outposts yiu build. They're all kind of temporary and need a lot of hand-holding.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I feel like a modded 7 Days 2 Die could potentially fit the bill, but I checked the available mods and there's nothing with friendly NPCs. Someone would have to work overtime to add all that in. 7D2D really needs endgame goals like dungeons and stuff too. Just defending your fort indefinitely gets a little old.

Man, Conan really dropped the ball. You can mod values to make it viable solo, but even when you have a bustling settlement, the NPCs just............. stand there. You can't even send them out to do anything. And then your "endgame" is spent going "Oh, we need more rocks. Great. Here I go again."
It wouldn't be hard to mod in a crappy version of it, either. Build a station, put a thrall in it, thrall "collects" resource, collect resource from station. It's lovely, but it wouldn't even require mapping them walking around, which apparently the engine can't handle.

arghhh so much lost potential. Conan even has the endgame dungeons to crawl through, and the occasional purges to defend your village from. But instead of adding all of this, they just add more clothing. :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Manager Hoyden posted:

I hope the game you're looking for exists. I've looked for it too. The settlement part of FO4 but with more polish. A first-person RimWorld. It seems like it would be out there but from what I can tell it just doesn't exist.

State of Decay is a lot of fun but you might be disappointed with the outposts yiu build. They're all kind of temporary and need a lot of hand-holding.

Yeah I played a few hours of SOD and I think it's a neat game that I'll play more of but it's not it. I went back to FO4, started a new character, cheated in basically unlimited materials and built up Sunshine Co-Op in to a cool enclave and I'm being really hands-on with the equipment for my settlers.

Stuff like this really makes me regret trying to be an artist as a kid instead of learning more programming. I'm learning that all the games I REALLY want to play don't exist.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Stuff like this really makes me regret trying to be an artist as a kid instead of learning more programming. I'm learning that all the games I REALLY want to play don't exist.
this is due to Man being fallen from Eden op

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There was nothing but settlement building action adventure games in Eden until Eve drank the forbidden G Fuel

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

If it's any consolation, there's at least 5x as many artists as programmers in your average gamedev team these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Is there a game that's a lot like RDR2 or Kingdom Come Deliverance? I really enjoy both, but I find myself either apathetic about or actively hostile towards pretty much all the other options I've tried when googling for similar games. Partly I think it's because I can't really define what I like so much about them. I really enjoy the open world, exploring and finding things to do and generally just idling around, role playing a bit having fun doing random stuff, but the other sandbox games I've tried have been pretty disappointing.

With Kingdom Come I really dug the setting and the slowness and nicking everything in sight brought back a lot of fond memories of Thief 2, so I figured maybe I like RPGs now having never really played them, but I found Skyrim pretty unengaging despite it being apparently one of the best things ever. The whole loading screen for buildings is annoying and I'm not big on roaming through dungeons killing skeletons and spiders and the like, and I think it's just that high fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons/only you can save mankind kinda things are not for me, but maybe I need to give it another go given its universal acclaim. Looking at RPGs I also tried out Disco Elysium but didn't have much success with it despite being a big fan of LucasArts point & click adventure games back in the day. Not entirely sure why, but the world building never quite clicked for me.

I tried Cyberpunk (knowing going in that it'd be pretty janky), and while it's not as buggy as I feared it's also just...not that good? It looks cool but the game feels utterly lifeless, just pinging between tagged map points with no real sense that there's a world going on. The missions all seem very same-y and dull and less good at sci fi guns & sneaking & hacking than Deus Ex was 20 years ago. And it seems like you pick up new and better kit every other minute (and no one gives a poo poo if you take all their stuff), so there's no real pleasure in sneaking about nicking thigs and never enough time to get attached to any particular weapon or bit of kit, because another one will be along to replace it pretty much instantly.

I really want to like Assassin's Creed Odyssey because I like the setting and I figure it would be, at the least, extremely polished, which it is, but it also seems dull as hell. Like Cyberpunk the world seems mostly empty and lifeless apart from the bits you need to go to for the missions, and the combat seemed like playing an arcade game, which is fine, but not what I was really looking for. And also like Cyberpunk you're pretty much always collecting new and better things and levelling up every few minutes so it never feels like anything is particularly earned. I also tried Valhalla just in case it was something about Odyssey that put me off, but I found that even worse- I didn't even like the card mini game which is weird, given how much time I spent having fun just gambling in RDR2 and Kingdome Come.

So, I dunno, I guess I want an open world sandboxy thing but one that doesn't feel too empty, maybe with some RPG elements but where it's more about playing in a certain way than just assigning numbers and skills, that probably has some kind of combat but isn't too arcade-y (but also isn't boring), that has an interesting world but where the backstory isn't all impenetrable Tolkein rip offs, that's realistic-ish and doesn't have monsters and magic and the like unless maybe it's done well enough to get over that? A game where it's easy to have fun just screwing around doing a bunch of diffferent things but also isn't just a bunch of disconnected minigames than feel bolted on to an entirely different game/setting. Does this even exist outside of RDR, Kingdom Come and I guess GTA? Maybe I just like cowboy/rancher simulator and a medieval peasant/knight simulator and unless there's some kind of Enlightenment-era highwayman/literati simulator or Renaissance artist/thief simulator then I'm just poo poo out of luck?

[Edit: the above is a pretty terrible articulation of what I like about the games I do enjoy, so it's maybe something as simple as "is a good game in its own right but also you can mostly ignore the main game mechanics/storyline and do your own, different thing for a while and have a bunch of fun doing that." Which is what I thought I'd get from Skyrim, but I'm finding the dungeons & dragons aspects/aesthetics/names/world building etc too off-putting to get very far with, though maybe I need to stick at it and it'll click?]

Niric fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 11, 2021