Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The manual reset to progress is not a one time thing, it's through the entire layer right up to having to do it to make it to Act 1. If one currency reset doesn't get new stuff after progression slows down, try the others.

Alternately, you may or may not have bought everything you can on the other tabs, or bought everything you can on that one.

Pretty sure I bought everything I can and there's no "sometimes to continue, you need to reset" notice this time either. Guess I'll just go cry about it on the discord server, then.
E: Nevermind, looks like someone else was stuck on the exact same thing. You unlock more overflow upgrades if you fully buy the first row first. Honestly, the game becomes kind of lovely in this layer with giving you info on how to proceed.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

GrossMurpel posted:

Pretty sure I bought everything I can and there's no "sometimes to continue, you need to reset" notice this time either. Guess I'll just go cry about it on the discord server, then.
E: Nevermind, looks like someone else was stuck on the exact same thing. You unlock more overflow upgrades if you fully buy the first row first. Honestly, the game becomes kind of lovely in this layer with giving you info on how to proceed.

Yeah, it's a really bad note for the game to end on when it was so good to begin with. The good news is that for all intents and purposes, there's nothing past this layer so if you get tired of it you can just shelve it until there are more updates.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Orb of Creation from a few pages back got an update. It’s the one where you can assemble and customize spells out of symbols. It’s pretty complex once the spatial upgrades open up, I haven’t gotten that far into it yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inadequately posted:

Orb of Creation from a few pages back got an update. It’s the one where you can assemble and customize spells out of symbols. It’s pretty complex once the spatial upgrades open up, I haven’t gotten that far into it yet.

Haha, aww, Hasten isn't the most busted thing imaginable anymore. :v:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, which is a good thing? I'm not sure I dig the casting delay/active delay, or if it's just lagging a little for some reason on my computer today.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, which is a good thing? I'm not sure I dig the casting delay/active delay, or if it's just lagging a little for some reason on my computer today.

It's a game feature - you can unlock casting speed upgrades later (in addition to the cooldown speed)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Devor posted:

It's a game feature - you can unlock casting speed upgrades later (in addition to the cooldown speed)

Gotcha. I only had 15 minutes or so to give it a try again. I really liked it the last time it came up in the thread. It looks like the workshop/alchemy parts have content now too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Still a really fun game, but I do wish there was more automation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I beat it, because casting the spells I need in order to advance tend to crash the game. Things really spiral out of control later on, in a good way.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think I ran into a bug where my spell slots are locked and I can't swap in any new spells, which is bad, but also good because I was actually planning on doing stuff this weekend

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Now it needs enchant+enskill get there.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 5, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

tinstaach posted:

I think I ran into a bug where my spell slots are locked and I can't swap in any new spells, which is bad, but also good because I was actually planning on doing stuff this weekend

If you make too many spells you can't put one away to swap because there are no empty slots. Upgrade capacity or delete something.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh, yep, that was it. It should tell you that!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I beat it, because casting the spells I need in order to advance tend to crash the game. Things really spiral out of control later on, in a good way.

yeah i just toggled on a max level condense time with embolden on to level up my artifact/brewing levels/transmutations and uh

it's not exactly crashed, but i'm getting maybe 1 frame per minute so i'mma call it beaten again

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I had some pretty crazy real life stuff happen in the last couple months and had to shelve it temporarily, but a huge update to legends of idleon is out now, whole new world, like 17 new mechanics, crazy amount of content is up and running

It's gonna take me a couple of days to get my bearings back but if you're popping in to check on the new patch and want a guild, pizza is free has been trucking along in my absence and we still have a handful of open slots, request whenever

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

looks like i've entered the 'grind for adventure stats/mass buy adventure stats with exp' section of ngu

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

looks like i've entered the 'grind for adventure stats/mass buy adventure stats with exp' section of ngu

Welcome to evil?

At least that's where I started putting adv stat purchases into rotation. It does really help. There's a lot of stuff that made early game faster, but that means your raw adv stats are behind where it was for all the people who have played the game for too long... longer than they should be... a long time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no i have a completed party set and now the next zone is an order of magnitude above where my stats are

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I didn't really buy Adventure Stats until Exile V3->V4, I think pushing hacks for a few days got me past IDP

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

I didn't really buy Adventure Stats until Exile V3->V4, I think pushing hacks for a few days got me past IDP

Yeah, this was about right for me too. IDP wasn't too bad, but the jumps don't get easier, you just get a couple more tools to grind and make the numbers go. Hacks and really pushing NGUs was big. I think I also did a bunch of the challenges around that point too.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Starting out NGU Idle. I just killed the first titan after a long run building up advanced to manual him. Is the process for that now just rebirth and grind xp to up energy until I can more easily take him for the rest of his set or do long runs to kill him over and over or is there a 3rd I am not seeing yet?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

TheJadedOne posted:

Starting out NGU Idle. I just killed the first titan after a long run building up advanced to manual him. Is the process for that now just rebirth and grind xp to up energy until I can more easily take him for the rest of his set or do long runs to kill him over and over or is there a 3rd I am not seeing yet?

generally, when you can get some gear, it's better to max level it and then go back to your rebirth schedule. you can boost it however you want but if you can get it, get it

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Inadequately posted:

Lmao when I got to the summon tital (sic) wave spell it gave me like 200 levels of spellcasting ability and the game completely exploded (also in a good way) - crafting, knowledge, and alchemy caps don't have nearly enough options for upgrading, I feel like the bookshelves go really slowly.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Buzkashi posted:

Lmao when I got to the summon tital (sic) wave spell it gave me like 200 levels of spellcasting ability and the game completely exploded (also in a good way) - crafting, knowledge, and alchemy caps don't have nearly enough options for upgrading, I feel like the bookshelves go really slowly.

If you stack spell slot as buff spells then run them you can cast a level 1 spell and break the game with the number of levels you get like hard crashes due to buffer overflows.

It is clearly marked as dev and the goal seems to be finding what combinations are fun then balance around them and get rid of the insane stacking so it's not game breaking. I'm interested in where it goes. Once you figure out how to break it you can clear all the content in under an hour. Marking it as dev build and not even beta gives me some hope something playable comes out of this project.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
the early game is a lot better than it used to be.

also for knowledge and crafting, there is a potion that helps with caps.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got my first END card in NGU and I've just now finished greening the Back to School set at the start of Sadistic. I can just chuck END cards for now, right?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Pope Guilty posted:

I got my first END card in NGU and I've just now finished greening the Back to School set at the start of Sadistic. I can just chuck END cards for now, right?

Yeah, they're not so super rare that you need to worry about holding on to the first one you get.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Red Minjo posted:

Yeah, they're not so super rare that you need to worry about holding on to the first one you get.

Cool, I figured. Thanks!

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I haven't made time in life to "actually play vidya games" in the last couple years, outside of NGU Idle. It's weird to think, since I used to basically play most new releases across platforms, etc. Guess life changes. I''m finally taking a long vacation, and I'd love any recommendations.

Is Melvor Idle good? I don't think I've seen it discussed much here.

Disco Elysium? Any other games I should consider?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hades was my favorite game of last year. As a roguelike, it has lots of incremental progress and resetting and stuff, to help ease that part of your lizard brain back into a real game.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Cobalt60 posted:

I haven't made time in life to "actually play vidya games" in the last couple years, outside of NGU Idle. It's weird to think, since I used to basically play most new releases across platforms, etc. Guess life changes. I''m finally taking a long vacation, and I'd love any recommendations.

Melvor Idle looks nice for an idle game, but I feel like there's so little to it. The mechanics aren't challenging or otherwise engaging. And as far as I know, there isn't even a multiplayer aspect so you can work with your friends like you would in a game like Amaranthine.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Disco Elysium is incredible.

Melvor Idle less so. It's servicable but very, very bland. Not a whole lot of reason to play it, honestly.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is the better v2/3/4 rewards wish stacking or just 10/20/30 instead of 10/30/60

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Melvor Idle is the Runescape skill system without the gameplay.

Like, literally, that is what the dev went for. I found it pretty boring myself, but there's apparently a lot of people that love it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's really weird to me that there's more than one idle game that is, by design, just "Runescape with even less gameplay". Like some people like it and that's great, but I tried Melvor and it's just so boring to me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

is the better v2/3/4 rewards wish stacking or just 10/20/30 instead of 10/30/60

AFAIK it's just 10/20/30, which is still not bad. Anything that gives more EXP, PP, and QP is worth the time wishing for it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

But note that all your offline kills are v1, so that bonus is only really good for online.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wait why are offline kills v1

4g!!!!!!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been playing Melvor Idle for quite a while now and I don't mind it as something I keep up in the background at work, drop into to rearrange things and then ignore for half an hour or so. It's not going to hold your attention with plate spinning, but there's a lot of numbers to make go up and I like the balance between online combat then making sure I'm set to farm some skill while I'm offline. At the moment I'm progressing through the end-game dungeons so I'll see how it holds me after I've done all the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks all, I'll skip Melvor based on those notes. I'm open to any other games that dropped in the last 3 years, particularly if they're MacOS or iOS friendly ;/