Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Comey Homie posted:

scoring lots of points is a role

exactly. but if that’s all you can do it’s not that valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

net points are more valuable than points actually but yes being a chucker can help sometimes

Comey Homie
May 9, 2017
Robert horry and Steve Kerr are all time greats

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Comey Homie posted:

Robert horry and Steve Kerr are all time greats

great role players yea

(like Steph)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Top 10 all time all around players in order, ranked
1 rodman
2 Jordan
3 wilt
4 LeBron
5 pippen
6Hakeem
7 David Robinson
8 Tim duncan
9 artis Gilmore
10 kareem

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

if nets win the title this year with a below average defense than the euph thesis of "scoring is bad actually" might fall apart

Comey Homie
May 9, 2017
best all round player is Barkley

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I'm seeing a whole lot of posters in here that seem to believe stuff like "Jeff Foster is more valuable than Ben Wallace" is controversial... Feels like they don't understand STATISTICS and REGRESSION TO THE MEAN despite claiming to be number heads. Shame

Azathoth posted:

I'm a Wiggins apologist and hope he can find success, but his problem has always been shot selection. Whether that was instilled in him here in Minnesota when his rookie year and most of his second year was basically "no shot is a bad shot" or whether that's just part of his DNA, who knows. To be successful, he pretty clearly needs to be someone who the offense does not flow through and he needs to only tough the ball after a good situation has been set up for him. The Warriors basically represent a best-case scenario for him, since playing a role like what Klay has been playing is not asking him to exercise a lot of discretion in whether he should be shooting, things have already broken down by the time he's getting the ball and he can attack that. That he's not able to be more successful in that situation is a pretty worrying sign.

I was a Wiggins apologist probably up to 18-19. Wiggins is just about in the best situation he can be (it'll be better with Klay to take some gravity next year) and he continues to just make bad plays and shots.

Minnie has been such a poo poo show for so long, it's possible his growth was stunted by the situation, but his contemporaries from the team (Lavine and Towns) improved their shot selection and passing. Wiggins basically didn't change his shot selection until Butler came and that coincided with a league wide shift in shot charts plus him losing the primary scoring role. Should be noted he didn't continue to improve in this area after 17-18, and I think it's telling that he continues to take a shot he's really bad at (long 2s) at pretty much the same rate.

Even his improvement this year I'm worried is a bit of a mirage built on a good 3P% despite not really changing his approach on those shots (though he's got much better passers to find him in his spots).

The consistency in his numbers and improvements of those around him tell me he can't or won't study and learn habits to improve his game, which sucks because he has good tools.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

if nets win the title this year with a below average defense than the euph thesis of "scoring is bad actually" might fall apart

the warriors were bad at scoring

scoring is actually good if you score more than the other team

which the warriors did not a lot of the time

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

doncic is definitely the next lebron because he does amazing things but misses free throws

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Telluric Whistler posted:

I'm seeing a whole lot of posters in here that seem to believe stuff like "Jeff Foster is more valuable than Ben Wallace" is controversial... Feels like they don't understand STATISTICS and REGRESSION TO THE MEAN despite claiming to be number heads. Shame
I was a Wiggins apologist probably up to 18-19. Wiggins is just about in the best situation he can be (it'll be better with Klay to take some gravity next year) and he continues to just make bad plays and shots.

Minnie has been such a poo poo show for so long, it's possible his growth was stunted by the situation, but his contemporaries from the team (Lavine and Towns) improved their shot selection and passing. Wiggins basically didn't change his shot selection until Butler came and that coincided with a league wide shift in shot charts plus him losing the primary scoring role. Should be noted he didn't continue to improve in this area after 17-18, and I think it's telling that he continues to take a shot he's really bad at (long 2s) at pretty much the same rate.

Even his improvement this year I'm worried is a bit of a mirage built on a good 3P% despite not really changing his approach on those shots (though he's got much better passers to find him in his spots).

The consistency in his numbers and improvements of those around him tell me he can't or won't study and learn habits to improve his game, which sucks because he has good tools.

The thing that always struck me about Wiggins, and again, Wiggins apologist here, is that he doesn't seem to be someone who actually enjoys playing the game of basketball. My read is that he was put on the path he's on now at a very, very young age and all the way through being the #1 pick in the NBA draft and signing an NBA contract for millions, he was getting by on massive natural talent and being pushed to where he needed to be by parents and coaches who could effectively run his life like drill sergeants. Now that he's in the NBA, for the first time in his life, the choice is up to him how much extra time he puts in and so the fact that he really doesn't enjoy playing basketball means that he's not willing to be a gym rat like Zach Lavine. It legit wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't sign another NBA contract and is out of the league by 30, not because he couldn't get a contract or pulled a Sprewell and talked about feeing his kids, but just because he's got "gently caress you" money now and wants to spend his life doing things he actually enjoys.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

no you made that up . I never said anything like that

(possible a drunk post but I doubt it)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Top 10 all time all around players in order, ranked
1 rodman
2 Jordan
3 wilt
4 LeBron
5 pippen
6Hakeem
7 David Robinson
8 Tim duncan
9 artis Gilmore
10 kareem

i know the stats blog post you read about rodman and it was a well-reasoned post, but a lot of it doesn't hold up to stuff we know now. it's heavily based on this all-in-one stat called "Wins Produced" that was made by one absolute crank who thought Kevin Love was the best player in the league with Andre Drummond behind him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Yossarian-22 posted:

scoring points isn’t how you win games. it’s about scoring more points than your opponent. it’s why Embiid’s 39 points today are gaudy but hollow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hope you did your stretches before this

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

indigi posted:

scoring points isn’t how you win games. it’s about scoring more points than your opponent. it’s why Embiid’s 39 points today are gaudy but hollow

if the rest of the team had scored 5 more points it wouldn't have been hollow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

if the rest of the team had scored 5 more points it wouldn't have been hollow

sure and he could have helped that happen, or had a couple blocks/turnovers/defensive rebounds. he’s the best player on the team it’s kind of up to him

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

all things considered 39 points during an injury and leading philly from more than 20 points down to losing by 5 is downright heroic. makes me confident that they'll win the series if embiid can maintain form

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this is relevant NBA content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSbLUv7WSXE

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope so. I’m not a big Embiid fan (fun to watch but seems like a jerk) but if the knee holds up I think they’ll at least take it to 7

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I love him

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Azathoth posted:

The thing that always struck me about Wiggins, and again, Wiggins apologist here, is that he doesn't seem to be someone who actually enjoys playing the game of basketball. My read is that he was put on the path he's on now at a very, very young age and all the way through being the #1 pick in the NBA draft and signing an NBA contract for millions, he was getting by on massive natural talent and being pushed to where he needed to be by parents and coaches who could effectively run his life like drill sergeants. Now that he's in the NBA, for the first time in his life, the choice is up to him how much extra time he puts in and so the fact that he really doesn't enjoy playing basketball means that he's not willing to be a gym rat like Zach Lavine. It legit wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't sign another NBA contract and is out of the league by 30, not because he couldn't get a contract or pulled a Sprewell and talked about feeing his kids, but just because he's got "gently caress you" money now and wants to spend his life doing things he actually enjoys.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me and honestly I would respect that decision - especially because it means he was given millions from Glen Taylor by just saying "I'll do better" in a paternalistic Papa Glen pep talk. Glad he's now cashing checks from the light-years ahead crew.

If that's the apologia for Wiggins then sign me up as a Wiggins apologist

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Embiid blew up his knee for that lmbo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s not my tweet lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kingcobweb posted:

i know the stats blog post you read about rodman and it was a well-reasoned post, but a lot of it doesn't hold up to stuff we know now. it's heavily based on this all-in-one stat called "Wins Produced" that was made by one absolute crank who thought Kevin Love was the best player in the league with Andre Drummond behind him

I think it's the win share per 48 metric that isolated rodman hilariously above everyone else

It's just a funny argument to make since he's a unique player whereas you can sub in bird for LeBron for Pippin for kawhi for Luka , etc

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luka is no where near Lebron Lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I want a catch all stat that somehow isolates shammgod, angle breakers, and reverse layups

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How embarrassing was it for sixers to get clowned I didn't even know Atlanta had a team lmbo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

How embarrassing was it for sixers to get clowned I didn't even know Atlanta had a team lmbo

they have a really short point guard who's like a good shooting version of matthew dellavedova

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

LeBron got eliminated ages ago and Luka is still playing on my tv , so looks like you're right that Luka is better r

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

yeah right now luka is way better

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i love kawhi leonard

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

all things considered 39 points during an injury and leading philly from more than 20 points down to losing by 5 is downright heroic. makes me confident that they'll win the series if embiid can maintain form

those last 5 words are doing some heavy lifting there

mastershakeman posted:

I think it's the win share per 48 metric that isolated rodman hilariously above everyone else

It's just a funny argument to make since he's a unique player whereas you can sub in bird for LeBron for Pippin for kawhi for Luka , etc
it's not that stat then, his numbers there are reflective of his overall performance. his two peak years, his two all star years with the pistons, have him at .189 and .183 (those make him top 20 in the NBA those years, but not top 10), and his career overall is .150. For contrast, compare him to another defense oriented piston in Ben Wallace, whose best season put him at .190 WS/48 and who finished with a .140 career. to compare to the whole NBA ever, that WS/48 is good enough for 118th overall, right behind Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing and just ahead of Bill Laimbeer and Steven Adams. by that stat measure, he is not as good as Andre Drummond (106th with .152) or Joakim Noah (79th with .159)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

oh yeah, in addition to being a wiggins apologist, i'm a ws/48 apologist. sorry you all had to find out this way

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

vyelkin posted:

i love kawhi leonard

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

can someone fill me in on the kawhi hate? like, i get that some people don't like that he's not emotional and is a private guy but in a league jampacked with rapists and domestic abusers, he's so far down the list of people to dislike i just don't understand it

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Isn't it mostly about holding out on the Spurs during the ankle injury

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm unsure of what is a joke and irony wrt NBA posting on SA, just a disclaimer

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azathoth posted:

those last 5 words are doing some heavy lifting there
it's not that stat then, his numbers there are reflective of his overall performance. his two peak years, his two all star years with the pistons, have him at .189 and .183 (those make him top 20 in the NBA those years, but not top 10), and his career overall is .150. For contrast, compare him to another defense oriented piston in Ben Wallace, whose best season put him at .190 WS/48 and who finished with a .140 career. to compare to the whole NBA ever, that WS/48 is good enough for 118th overall, right behind Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing and just ahead of Bill Laimbeer and Steven Adams. by that stat measure, he is not as good as Andre Drummond (106th with .152) or Joakim Noah (79th with .159)

Ah yeah you're right

Also joakin Noah ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
kwahi won a title for the raptors and then left that loser city. i like him.